PDA

View Full Version : Heading to Galway next month

Aldini98
13/07/2007, 2:32 PM
for a lads weekend, anyone recommend anywhere to drink/ stay ?

Torn-Ado
13/07/2007, 2:35 PM
Stay in Kinlay house. Its probably your best bet.

Going out wise. Anywhere in the city centre is hopping from a wednesday to a sunday.

Don't go to CPs or Halo.

gilberto_eire
13/07/2007, 2:38 PM
for a lads weekend, anyone recommend anywhere to drink/ stay ?

i dont have a clue of the place he just mentioned, but Jurys Inn is prob the best bet as its on the better side of town for pubs etc....!!

MyTown
13/07/2007, 2:43 PM
i dont have a clue of the place he just mentioned, but Jurys Inn is prob the best bet as its on the better side of town for pubs etc....!!

Kinlay House is a hostel at the end of Merchants Road opposite where the Tourist Office used to be (Victoria Place) before it moved out to the Fair Green.

Accommodation will be at a premium in terms of availability and price for the month of August - monsoon conditions or not.

No shortage of places 'though or pubs either! Do the accommodation in advance and let spontaneity rule when it comes to the pubs. We all have our favourites.

GuisaSaigon
13/07/2007, 2:47 PM
Check out Stranos Bar at the end of Dominick Street. Good place for a lads weekend ;)

SkStu
13/07/2007, 6:14 PM
spent 3 years in galway with college and it is the best city in Ireland.

you can stay in the quays hostel or any of the b&b's there pretty cheap. If youre lucky there are some cheap hotel rooms out there. Probably best to go with the hostel option though for a lads wknd. Try sleepzone (just round the corner from eyre square-cheap as chips and clean)

Clubs - i used to work in cuba so i have to recommend that. Its right at the top of Eyre Square. Hot birds, great drink and good music. Maybe a wee bit pricey?

Avoid the GPO unless you have a big bag of yokes. CPs is alright but just a big cattle mart really.

Pubs

hole in the wall - kip but cheap booze.
McSwiggans - nice but can be hit or miss re atmosphere.
The Cellar - Great fun, go downstairs. Good live music.
Kings Head - full of yanks and such. Nice pub, Good music.
The Quays - another popular joint. Never my favourite.
Bazaar - nice place.

Theres a tiny bar about half way down shop street, name escapes me, but i loved it. Nice crowd and friendly staff and good pints. Its on Shop street, just before church lane. its got a blue lit sign outside.

And if youre going to Salthill be careful. Theres a couple of nice bars there (1 in particular, name escapes me) but also some real dodgy kips out that way. Never felt totally at ease in Salthill.

PS - sorry for forgetting some of the bar names but my memory of my time in galway is shot to bits due to boozing and smoking.

Paddyfield
13/07/2007, 7:54 PM
Check out Stranos Bar at the end of Dominick Street. Good place for a lads weekend ;)

You are taking the MICKEY

GuisaSaigon
13/07/2007, 8:23 PM
You are taking the MICKEY
No, but Perhaps Aldini is, in which case he would enjoy a visit to Stranos;)

Paddyfield
15/07/2007, 10:11 PM
No, but Perhaps Aldini is, in which case he would enjoy a visit to Stranos;)

I wouldn't be arsed going there :D

Aldini98
16/07/2007, 12:08 PM
Stranos is a no-no so ! Aldini aint !

Cheers for the info.

Bottle of Tonic
16/07/2007, 8:13 PM
You cant go to Galway and not have a bottle of wine down the Spanish Arch. It's the authentic experience and the only way to prepare for the night clubs.
God those were the days.
Always liked Garvans myself for the pints. Halfway down shop street. Good place to watch the racing.

SkStu
17/07/2007, 4:32 AM
You cant go to Galway and not have a bottle of wine down the Spanish Arch. It's the authentic experience and the only way to prepare for the night clubs.
God those were the days.
Always liked Garvans myself for the pints. Halfway down shop street. Good place to watch the racing.

bottle of wine?? Posh fecker. Grab a bottle or two of Buckfast for the true Galway experience.
:D

noby
17/07/2007, 8:09 AM
I don't know where you should go to drink, but what you should drink is definitely Galway Hooker. One of the newest, and tastiest beers to be brewed in Ireland. Apparently available in about a dozen pubs in Galway, but I'm not sure which ones.

Bottle of Tonic
17/07/2007, 10:06 PM
SkStu,
The bottle of wine is buckie! As in Tonic!

SolitudeRed
17/07/2007, 10:21 PM
Make sure to avoid the Supermacs in Eyre square if you get hungry after a night on the beer! It gets packed and there is always of few fights that break out there, especially at the weekends!

Charcoal grill is the best place to go for late night food in my opinion but I can't remember what street its on!

SkStu
18/07/2007, 4:21 AM
SkStu,
The bottle of wine is buckie! As in Tonic!

:D :D my bad! made by monks it was, lol :cool:

KoemansCC
18/07/2007, 5:50 AM
Make sure to avoid the Supermacs in Eyre square if you get hungry after a night on the beer! It gets packed and there is always of few fights that break out there, especially at the weekends!

Charcoal grill is the best place to go for late night food in my opinion but I can't remember what street its on!

There's 2 of them, one on Cross Street and a newer one on Mary Street, also check out La Salsa for some excellent Mexican grub, one on Mary Street and one on Lombard Street.

As for pubs check out The Dew Drop Inn, smallest pub in Galway but great fun during the day or evening, also try the Sonny's side of the Front Door pub. If you're down the 'West' give the Bierhaus a visit, has every foreign beer imaginable even the local Hooker beer mentioned above. For good Guinness go to Murphys, ask for Gerry the barman, the only person I know that played senior hurling for MAYO!!!!!

If you don't fancy going to a night club or can't get in for some reason:D, go to the Living Room, fine beer, fine women and stays open until 03:00.

Paddyfield
21/07/2007, 8:37 PM
If it's a footie pub, try Foxes on Forster Street (off Eyre Square)

See it here.....
http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=CYSORBwNHYI

Aldini98
23/07/2007, 12:47 PM
The Living room sounds like the spot !

Paddyfield
23/07/2007, 10:00 PM
The Living room sounds like the spot !

That depend on how old you are. If you are under 26, then the Living Room is the biz. If you are in your 30's, then Busker Brownes (100 meters from the Living Room) is the spot for you.

gilberto_eire
23/07/2007, 10:12 PM
That depend on how old you are. If you are under 26, then the Living Room is the biz. If you are in your 30's, then Busker Brownes (100 meters from the Living Room) is the spot for you.

i wouldnt really put an age on it!. places are more scene then age!!

Conor H
23/07/2007, 10:18 PM
It depends on your age really.

For pubs...
Quays(20's on...great spot though...all Irish music etc)
Kings head(Ditto)
Living Room.....always packed...nearly like a Club really
Cellar.....young pun on Eglinton Street
Fibbers...In Eyre Square....good lively pub...all ages
Foxs...Also in the Square...young enough...18-30 year olds mainly...home to GUST;)
For the older crowds...30's+...
Front Door
Buskers
Garavans
Skeff

Clubs....
Cp's....Young club...much better from September to March when it's by in large a Galway crowd.....Summer it's a Red neck fest!
Halo....More of a mid 20's-mid 30's crowd.....right beside Cp's.....good club though
Cuba...Meh...It's ok..
Karma.....Does better on student nights than weekends
GPO.....Don't ask.

You'll have a good time regardless.Galway is always bizzing but this time of year it's fairly mental.Impossible to move everywhere!

Aldini98
24/07/2007, 11:08 AM
Im in my 30's as are most of the lads going so we must check out Buskers.

Eire06
24/07/2007, 12:31 PM
Im in my 30's as are most of the lads going so we must check out Buskers.

Head to the Warwick after Buskers on a Sat night if you're goin clubbin - live band and DJ - don't go out there till 12.30 or after though.

Buskers is great craic, there's also the front door (Across the road from buskers) and the Drew Drop (across the road and up a bit from buskers, on the corner) are great spots too

Aldini98
25/07/2007, 1:55 PM
Looks like we are seriously going to be spoilt for choice !!!

gilberto_eire
25/07/2007, 5:39 PM
Head to the Warwick after Buskers on a Sat night if you're goin clubbin - live band and DJ - don't go out there till 12.30 or after though.

Buskers is great craic, there's also the front door (Across the road from buskers) and the Drew Drop (across the road and up a bit from buskers, on the corner) are great spots too

just to let ya know the wareick is a bit of a trek from there and a cab would be required....best to stay in city center!

KoemansCC
27/07/2007, 5:37 AM

Also depends on what age they're chasing ;)....

Aldini98
30/07/2007, 10:59 AM
Whats the Galway Arms like ?

Terry
30/07/2007, 11:22 AM
small pub, next door to the garda station, so ye wouldnt have far to travel the following morning !!!!!!!!!

Dont know anybody that has ever stayed there so cant comment on that, its located around 50-100 metres from most of the previously mentioned pubs, so located nicely, and finally they do a cracking fry up-probably my favourite in town anyway!

MyTown
30/07/2007, 11:24 AM
Whats the Galway Arms like ?

More of a locals pub AFAIK. Also it's next door to the Garda station - not that that means anything - I think:eek:

You're still within spittin' distance of the so called latin quarter and you can see the Living Room from the Galway Arms. The west side of the town "begins" from the Galway Arms with a couple of nice pubs down that side, but, at that stage you've started to leave "town".

You have to remember for Race Week all usual presumptions go out the window and madness reigns...or should that be rains?:D

Terry
30/07/2007, 11:26 AM
also, if you havent booked at this stage and are coming this weekend coming...you'll be very lucky to get in anywhere accomodation wise, ye might have to start thinking even of bring the tent with ya.

paul_oshea
31/07/2007, 12:03 PM
bring shoes at all times.....one of the most important things to remember when going out in galway, along with only having 1 pint before hitting a club. been to cities all over europe and america but i still have hassle in galway.

KoemansCC
02/08/2007, 8:54 PM
bring shoes at all times.....one of the most important things to remember when going out in galway, along with only having 1 pint before hitting a club. been to cities all over europe and america but i still have hassle in galway.

Got refused entry to Kennedys on Eyre Square last night because I was wearing trainers...it's Wednesday of race week FFS, people were hanging off the light fixtures...:confused:

Aldini98
03/08/2007, 9:06 AM
I usually wear shoes anyway. Dont want to give bouncers any excuse :)

Heading down last weekend of the month, cant wait.

MyTown
03/08/2007, 9:28 AM

It's all starting to make sense now p_osh:D

Macy
03/08/2007, 9:28 AM
along with only having 1 pint before hitting a club.
Most times I've been out in Galway I've barely been able to remember my name, let alone only having one pint, by the time it comes to the night clubs (back the buckie factor I guess! :D ). Never had trouble getting in places in Galway...