PDA

View Full Version : Worst policy in EL

Pages : 1 [2] 3

lofty9
07/07/2007, 1:58 PM
Lucky you didnt what would happen with all the Tricolors then!
Then again ye not know what pride in a nation is!

Den again I suppose ye do when it Suits!:rolleyes:

I went to an Ireland game once, full of west Brit Premiership supporting ********s. Couldn't stand it. Put me off for life.

I have pride in my City and my home team. Pride in a nation? - it's guff like that caused 30years of hurt up here.

Aaron
07/07/2007, 2:00 PM
One last post,must get up and do something.In a few weeks time Derry will be playing in europe representing Ireland and comments like "Flying the Flag" for Ireland etc will be in the media.Is this going antagonise their protestant fan base they are so worried about? Wont be one bit bothered I'd say.

Matbe not, but its compulsory for the club to do so, not by choice. I'd say if it wasnt compulsory it wouldnt be flown.

Shiba
07/07/2007, 2:04 PM
I think most Irish people have pride in their nation. Why does this have to be reasserted by bringing a national flag to a football match between two Irish teams?? Football and politics clearly don't mix well. That's why Derry City have this rule.

Yes I know the Bray fans have tricolours with BWAFC on it but if we weren't allowed to wave it about I wouldn't be as indignated as the Sligo fans here. I don't see the point in showing off your nationalism to people in your own country. International games or European games, fine. But ffs lads it's a league game. Both teams are Irish. It's not needed.

Aside from that, how can yez not understand the gravity of the situation up North? We've all read and heard enough about it. If this had happened in any other ground in the country, you might have a reason to spew this nationalism tripe but Derry is a totally different kettle of fish and who knows if you'd been displaying the tricolour on the side of the bus and your man took a wrong turn you coulda gotten into a lot of trouble.

It's nothing personal lads. It's nothing against your national pride. It's just sensible and sensitive.

Unless you were there I think it would have the same effect on you.It was just very insulting and the fact that is was so far into the game made it worse.The policy if in effect should have been implemented from the start of the game.As for bus taken wrong turn thats call sense & sensetivity.Inside the ground people know what teams are playing and more than likly the type of banners flags are going to be expected.Outside you show sensetivity!

Shiba
07/07/2007, 2:09 PM
I went to an Ireland game once, full of west Brit Premiership supporting ********s. Couldn't stand it. Put me off for life.

I have pride in my City and my home team. Pride in a nation? - it's guff like that caused 30years of hurt up here.

Bulls**t! Theirs nothing wrong with having pride in your nation its how presieve(Spelln?) it.A football match aint going to stop that considering what you see when drive round.

Aaron
07/07/2007, 2:14 PM
Taking from other Derry fans on their forum the last guy got riduculed from a height as he did have an irish passport but did not have Irish Drivers license:rolleyes::D

the red barron
Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:08 am
First Team

seen the stewards tellin a young fella to take down a tri colour that was on the fence at the sligo end last night.
just my opinion but i think its a stupid rule.
Bar the setanta cup who exactly is it offending?
ct
Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:12 am
First Team
the odd person from our town's minority community who might be flying over the ground in a helicopter

KeithK
Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:31 pm

i agre 100% we should be allowed to fly our flag regardless of what the rule book says , at the end of the day therre were no secterian slogans on it an nothing meant by it,
we should be proud to fly our flag as i for one am an irishman not as others have stated part of the UK on my passport an any other form were its states place of birth i answer IRELAND so back to the flag issue we should be allowed to fly our coulors

All well and good defending your club to the hilt but your club is wrong in this instance. Good luck and enjoy the 12th

Why dont you post what everyone said, not just these three? Its your opinion our club is wrong, if you dont like the rules you can **** off back to Sligo!!;)

red bellied
07/07/2007, 2:17 PM
There was twenty minutes last night. The away side are getting bet three one and the Rovers support are not in the best of form. The stewards are directed to take down the flag, who are not very happy for obvious reasons. Not because of the invisible Unionist support but because of the hassle they will receive from the visiting section. Actually they handled the situation very well.

I knew nothing of this rule. Derry from now on should inform the visiting team on the ban of national flags through their local medias, papers, radio etc.

Dodge
07/07/2007, 2:27 PM
Have ye none with St Pats on it!

Its having pride in your nation!

We'll have them out for the UEFA Cup games in Denmark. In a game between two Irish sides, who are you showing your "pride" to?

micls
07/07/2007, 2:28 PM
Sure if you are such a hard man PM and you can tell me how your just going to make me. Derry fans shown up by the real Derry fans very regrettable !

What a ****ing child :rolleyes:

Talk about making something out of nothing.

No one that doesnt live there can understand what its like in Derry or in the North. Boo hoo you couldnt wave your pflag for one game.

Derry have their reasons for teh rule, and im sure their reasons are more valid than your 'I want to show im proud of my country at a LOI game

Aaron
07/07/2007, 2:36 PM
Sure if you are such a hard man PM and you can tell me how your just going to make me. Derry fans shown up by the real Derry fans very regrettable !

If you dont want to accept our club rules, you knmow where to go, that nicer for ya!!:rolleyes:

micls
07/07/2007, 2:38 PM
Not in my view and a lot of their fans ! ;)
And yet your view doesnt matter a tap......

If there were enough Derry fans that really cared Im sure they could talk to the club about it....I suspect there arent though. There may be those who dont understand or agree with the rule but accept it without whinging....unlike ye who have to put up with it for max 2 games a season

Aaron
07/07/2007, 2:41 PM
Rogue Trader's post on Derry City Chat!!

Should have taken scottish flag down as well so !?

If your going to do something, try and do it right. It is an awful pity that you look upon our national flag as a sectarian flag, Derry must be one ****ed up dump to have got that bad. So i suppose we can expect to see some members of the PSNI in the Brandeywell the next time we go down ?

It was all right in the 70's,80's and 90's to use the tri-colour when you were looking for support from us Irish in the south and abroad for your stuggle to become part of us. The only thing i am glad to see now is that you understand and have accepted that you are British the same natinality as your great leader Maggie Thatcher and us Irish can now start to reclaim our flag.

With that attitude no wonder we left you behind economically you crowd misarable of PC hypocrytes, i am sure the Irish league would love to have you back.

C'mon the red hand !

So much for wanting to show off your love for your nationality!:rolleyes:

TheBoss
07/07/2007, 2:47 PM
As far as I know, it is a flag for the whole Island, not just for the Republic.

micls
07/07/2007, 2:48 PM
I just read the Thread on there.
A lot of Derry fans you said roguetrader? Cos i only found the 3 you posted that agreed with you. Every other person on there disagreed.....but sure dont let the facts get in the way of your rant.

http://www.derrycitychat.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13754&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30
Your posts on that thread were an embarrasment to your club

micls
07/07/2007, 2:48 PM

According to who? You cant make a flag and tell people who dont recognise it that it represents them too

GavinZac
07/07/2007, 2:49 PM
Good one but no need for the name calling. Even though i don't agree and i think it is PC gone mad i think DCFC should announce to the national press and other league clubs that the tri-colour is banned from the Brandywell stadium. That would help largely avoid this from happening again and then i would not have had to put up with your foul mouthed attacks. Still waiting by the way.

foul mouthed attacks? some cheek of you given the tripe you posted on the derry forum. grand and easy being "proud" of the irish flag in a backarse of nowhere town where the most controversy surrounds which culchie is more culchie than the other culchie

Dodge
07/07/2007, 2:52 PM

Its a national flag. I'm not getting into what the Irish nation is (and nor should anyone here, as its not really the point)

Aaron
07/07/2007, 2:52 PM
Good one but no need for the name calling. Even though i don't agree and i think it is PC gone mad i think DCFC should announce to the national press and other league clubs that the tri-colour is banned from the Brandywell stadium. That would help largely avoid this from happening again and then i would not have had to put up with your foul mouthed attacks. Still waiting by the way.

I apologise for telling you to **** off back to sligo. Not normally in my nature but find it frustrating that people cannot accet rules laid down by the club.

GavinZac
07/07/2007, 2:55 PM

No its not. The flag, if there is one, for the entire island is the St. Patrick Flag

http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/images/i/ie-stpat.gif

Funnily enough, it looks like the northerners have a closer fit than we do down here!

Schumi
07/07/2007, 3:01 PM
No its not. The flag, if there is one, for the entire island is the St. Patrick FlagThat was made up by Britain, doesn't represent anyone.

TheBoss
07/07/2007, 3:02 PM
Well, I thought it was :D

Green = Catholics
White = Neutrals
Orange = Protestants

GavinZac
07/07/2007, 3:05 PM
That was made up by Britain, doesn't represent anyone.

if by "by britain" you mean by irish people when britain was in charge.

its the flag of the Fitzgearlds and the flag that Irish/Spanish troops fought under at Kinsale.

Shiba
07/07/2007, 3:13 PM
We'll have them out for the UEFA Cup games in Denmark. In a game between two Irish sides, who are you showing your "pride" to?

Not a shamed to be Irish where am!So before we go to a game we should open my designer flag wardrobe and decide what flag to bring.cop on! his was a young lad with a flag with sligo rovers on it with no sectearan motive in mind.Free country so i thought so why not a tricolor at a game between two irish clubs.

GavinZac
07/07/2007, 3:15 PM
Free country so i thought

:rolleyes: you're on the premises of Derry City F.C. and in buying your ticket, agreed to their rules, regulations and discretion of what is suitable and what is not.

micls
07/07/2007, 3:16 PM
Not a shamed to be Irish where am!So before we go to a game we should open my designer flag wardrobe and decide what flag to bring.cop on! his was a young lad with a flag with sligo rovers on it with no sectearan motive in mind.Free country so i thought so why not a tricolor at a game between two irish clubs.

Cant really make head nor tails of that post but fact is there is a rule in place at the Brandywell. This rule is in place for a reason and has worked without problems for a long time. You were guests at their stadium and are required to abide by their rules, whether you agree withe them or not. End of story.

Dodge
07/07/2007, 3:17 PM
Free country so i thought so why not a tricolor at a game between two irish clubs.
If you can answer me why, I'll tell you why not? Are you saying that those without Irish flags aren't proud of their nationality or are ashamed of being Irish?

Shiba
07/07/2007, 3:28 PM
If you can answer me why, I'll tell you why not? Are you saying that those without Irish flags aren't proud of their nationality or are ashamed of being Irish?

No I don't think does who don't have a flag are any less proud of thier nationality.I don't have one.Just like I don't think having one is wrong or makes you more proud.I do think it was a grave insult to ask someone to take down the national flag no matter where it was.Ya! Derry have a policy in place but it should have been put in place from the start not near the end of the game.so whats wrong with havn it at a game between to Irish teams makes more sense having it their than in old trafford.Oh btw good luck in europe as with Derry your representing the whole of the league!

micls
07/07/2007, 3:30 PM
Ya! Derry have a policy in place but it should have been put in place from the start not near the end of the game.
Jeez they harldy thought 'Sure well leave it a while then take it off him to really annoy him'. They implemented it when they noticed it. Stewards and directors have other things to do as well :rolleyes:

so whats wrong with havn it at a game between to Irish teams makes more sense having it their than in old trafford.

Are you actually for real? Do you have any understanding of the situation in the North? No it doesnt make more sense to have it at a mtach in Northern Ireland between 2 Irish teams where it could alienate some of the population of the city than in a stadium in England wherre no one cares

half_full
07/07/2007, 4:34 PM
Derry City as a club with co-operation with its fans have had this policy in action for years. Do any of you actually understand the nature of society in the North? Flags are a highly emotive political issue. If we display them we alienate a section of our support. If your going to have a dig at us at trying to change attitudes in the north then that's your problem. There would be more complaints at the ground by people if the ground was laden by tricolours. Derry City is a cross community club.

PS A half obscurely displayed Scottish flag is irrelevant to the political situation in the North.

its not as if your the only team in the city/general area:confused:
not trying to stir **** or anything, just curious...

progress
07/07/2007, 4:40 PM
i can see derry citys point in not permitting national flags lads especially with what has went on in the past.it is a small price to pay to be honest.with regards to the scottish flag, i dont think anyone would be offended by it as scotland has a very liberal view towards ireland.

Aaron
07/07/2007, 4:42 PM
its not as if your the only team in the city/general area:confused:
not trying to stir **** or anything, just curious...

What do you mean?

GavinZac
07/07/2007, 4:44 PM
What do you mean?

he means, "cant the unionists f*ck off and support someone else". go easy on him, he's from waterford.

Shiba
07/07/2007, 5:04 PM
Jeez they harldy thought 'Sure well leave it a while then take it off him to really annoy him'. They implemented it when they noticed it. Stewards and directors have other things to do as well :rolleyes:

Are you actually for real? Do you have any understanding of the situation in the North? No it doesnt make more sense to have it at a mtach in Northern Ireland between 2 Irish teams where it could alienate some of the population of the city than in a stadium in England wherre no one cares

The Directors may have been doing something else but as for the stewards that is what their paid for.To be fair they didnt have much to do even after the flag incident and they handle very well and listen to the arguement.There was no sectarian comments made after people just voice their digust at the flag been taken down.

I also am fully aware of the situation in the north but why should I hide my Identity when up there.If you saw a lad with a northern ireland shirt or england shirt walking down the main street of your hometown on a match day would you be bothered ,I know I wouldn't!

My point as regards old trafford is the Point was made why have a Irish flag at a game between two irish teams,there is less of a reason to bring it there.People do it,its part of the participation of the fans.

To say people in england don't care,I don't bout that one.

I don't think as with any situation like this that there is solution but it is disappointing that you still have to hide your identity when in the north!Number plates next I suppose:D

half_full
07/07/2007, 5:09 PM
he means, "cant the unionists f*ck off and support someone else". go easy on him, he's from waterford.

im not from waterford and i dont live their either:p

There are 3 clubs playing league football in Derry, Derry City F.C. is based in a nationalist area and has traditionally been a nationalist club...Institute F.C. was founded by unionists for unionists, and has traditionally been a unionist club...However, I must admit I'm not as up to date on Oxford United Stars F.C.:o

it would seem to me that Derry City is seen as the nationalist club, Institue the unionist:rolleyes:

wheres the problem in asking a question?

Aaron
07/07/2007, 5:16 PM
im not from waterford and i dont live their either:p

There are 3 clubs playing league football in Derry, Derry City F.C. is based in a nationalist area and has traditionally been a nationalist club...Institute F.C. was founded by unionists for unionists, and has traditionally been a unionist club...However, I must admit I'm not as up to date on Oxford United Stars F.C.:o

it would seem to me that Derry City is seen as the nationalist club, Institue the unionist:rolleyes:

wheres the problem in asking a question?

There isnt a problem, but rather foolish of you to think that just because they are Unionists the should/do support a unionist club. Likewise for nationalists.

half_full
07/07/2007, 5:17 PM
not my point at all, i would imagne though there would be a split in who supports who

Aaron
07/07/2007, 5:19 PM
The Directors may have been doing something else but as for the stewards that is what their paid for.To be fair they didnt have much to do even after the flag incident and they handle very well and listen to the arguement.There was no sectarian comments made after people just voice their digust at the flag been taken down.

I also am fully aware of the situation in the north but why should I hide my Identity when up there.If you saw a lad with a northern ireland shirt or england shirt walking down the main street of your hometown on a match day would you be bothered ,I know I wouldn't!

My point as regards old trafford is the Point was made why have a Irish flag at a game between two irish teams,there is less of a reason to bring it there.People do it,its part of the participation of the fans.

To say people in england don't care,I don't bout that one.

I don't think as with any situation like this that there is solution but it is disappointing that you still have to hide your identity when in the north!Number plates next I suppose:D

Just shows how you dont have a clue on things that happen up here. I have no doubt if you were to walk into Irish Street or the Fountain with a tri-colour or any other emblem proclaiming your Irishness you wouldnt walk back out, but rather in an ambulance. Its rather sad that this is the way things are, but they are like this and we have to deal with it. Also last week former Finn Harps player david Bell was at training with Institute in his ROI gear and there were some upset people at this. Yes Institute are a Unionist club in a Unionist area.

OneRedArmy
07/07/2007, 5:19 PM
it is disappointing that you still have to hide your identity when in the north!Number plates next I suppose:DYou've come from a town 2 hours away from Derry! Your identity is surely that you are from Sligo?

The fact that 95%+ of the people in the ground consider themselves Irish surely makes the need to display your Irishness irrelevant, unless of course you are coming up to ram your nationality down our throats?

Oh and Rogue Trader, maybe if you'd actually gone to the match your righteous moral indigation may carry a bit more weight.....

Aaron
07/07/2007, 5:20 PM
not my point at all, i would imagne though there would be a split in who supports who

Not at all, in-fact a few Derry fans also support Institute. There are Unionists and Nationalists who support both clubs.

half_full
07/07/2007, 5:21 PM
Thanks CTID:)

Shiba
07/07/2007, 5:37 PM
Just shows how you dont have a clue on things that happen up here. I have no doubt if you were to walk into Irish Street or the Fountain with a tri-colour or any other emblem proclaiming your Irishness you wouldnt walk back out, but rather in an ambulance. Its rather sad that this is the way things are, but they are like this and we have to deal with it. Also last week former Finn Harps player david Bell was at training with Institute in his ROI gear and there were some upset people at this. Yes Institute are a Unionist club in a Unionist area.

I am well aware that der are areas that are no go as regards shown my identity which is a pity and will take generations to get passed this.I was there afew weeks ago and visited so many wonderful places and found one the chinese restarants up there.Was uncomfortable with the amount of police on the streets at night but its understandable.but again going back to flag issue I'm disappointed with the Policy as the Derry supporters from both sides of the divide understand what league their in.As one Derry supporter siad I'd have to ask the protestant side if them offend by the tricolor.Their lies the problem!

Aaron
07/07/2007, 5:43 PM
Fare play to the Derry lads you must be one big happy family up there, should be a very quiet 12th ?

Difference is we CAN divide sports and politics;)

Shiba
07/07/2007, 5:52 PM
Difference is we CAN divide sports and politics;)

After last night I beg to differ

GavinZac
07/07/2007, 5:53 PM
After last night I beg to differ

How is bringing a national flag to a club game NOT political? :rolleyes:

Dodge
07/07/2007, 5:55 PM
Right, its going round and round in circles lads...

if nobody has nothing new to say, don't say it again

Aaron
07/07/2007, 6:15 PM
Sports and politics should never mix my friend, so a serious question or assumption i my behalf is maybe that you may return to the Irish League ?

This is a serious question !

Why should we? We were invited into the LOI in 1985, are enjoying the LOI and never want to return to the IL. Would you much rather have us return to the IL or improve the league's co-efficient in Europe and get the league a bigger reputation along with Cork, Shels, Drogs etc..?

Shiba
07/07/2007, 6:20 PM
How is bringing a national flag to a club game NOT political? :rolleyes:

The national says what nationalality I am, not my political views!

Aaron
07/07/2007, 6:34 PM
Oh sure and wish you all the best in Europe this year by the way. However Nothern Ireland is your proper jurisdiction and since all is rosey up there again as you say, i just thought you would go back and play in your proper league than play in the southern league(League of Ireland).

If all was rosey up here then you wouldnt have been aked to remove your tri-colour;)

OneRedArmy
07/07/2007, 6:36 PM
Oh sure and wish you all the best in Europe this year by the way. However Nothern Ireland is your proper jurisdiction and since all is rosey up there again as you say, i just thought you would go back and play in your proper league than play in the southern league(League of Ireland).We'll go back when there's an all-Ireland league, otherwise there's no reason, footballing or otherwise, to turn our back on the EL.

As for our "proper jurisdiction".......one minute you're telling us we're all Irish, the next we're not, make up your bloody minds ffs.

Lim till i die
07/07/2007, 6:40 PM
Sports and politics should never mix my friend

Nonsense comment that is trotted out anytime there's a debate like this one

Sport the world over is at its very best, most exciting, most passionate, where sport and politics mix :rolleyes:

bennocelt
07/07/2007, 9:39 PM
we still respect other religions who attend the Brandywell.

Bit dissapointing to see Derry City fans on this forum defend this
I would find it insulting and a lack of respect if I was told to hide my Irish flag anywhere, never mind in Ireland itself!!!!