Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Worst policy in EL

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts

Thumbs down Worst policy in EL

No tri-colours are allowed on show in the Brandywell. No joke.

I posted this on Derry City forum:
    I will be making a complaint with the F.A.I. and Derry City F.C. about the enforced removal of a tri-colour flag tonight. The flag was not blocking any signage or fans view. It was simply hung on a railing. We were then informed by the(friendly) stewards that it had to be removed due to TV Complaints because we were up the North. I thought they were taking the **** but then informed us that a board member/director of Derry City(MBurns) saw the flag from the board room and ordered it to be removed. The stewards were made do his dirty work and they themselves agreed it is a joke policy that Burns has come up with.

So, ye play in the League of Ireland and yet fans are not allowed hang an Ireland flag. FFS, get a grip lads. It's a free country and that policy won't work unless there is a total ban on all countries flags. There was a Scottish flag(which I brought) hung up beside the Ireland flag and yet that was allowed stay. I'm sure Derry fans will agree it is a seriously stupid policy and as one of the stewards quite rightly pointed out...telling fans to remove tri-colour could turn nasty.
    I posted this here just to see what other people think of this policy.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    talking to the stewards at the end they were completely of the same mind as us, in that it was a completely ridicoulous thing to do....

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,267 Posts
    Is this new? Never had a problem there before. Can't see why Derry would care either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    The steward I was chatting to informed me that Linfield fans had complained about the Che Guvera flag that Derry fans had and then Derry got fined for it then. Think they've got strict on flags since. Whatever about Che Guvera but an Ireland flag in Ireland
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    bit of a joke all round up there really

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    That had to the most disgusting and degrading action I have ever witnessed at any "League of Ireland" ground I have ever witnessed.There was Derry Fan and his Kids sitting behind me who got up and left the Ground because of this action.Messer "Burns & Co" wont be long flying the Tricolor when they have thier have hands out to the Football Association of "IRELAND" for funding.Would have been easier to fly it during the troubles.Fair play to Lorraine for speaking her mind.Also to the stewards who did say the action was wrong but that they were instructed too.

"SHAME ON DERRY"
    Till d End!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Derry City as a club with co-operation with its fans have had this policy in action for years. Do any of you actually understand the nature of society in the North? Flags are a highly emotive political issue. If we display them we alienate a section of our support. If your going to have a dig at us at trying to change attitudes in the north then that's your problem. There would be more complaints at the ground by people if the ground was laden by tricolours. Derry City is a cross community club.

PS A half obscurely displayed Scottish flag is irrelevant to the political situation in the North.
    As Irishmen we dilute our sense of nation by depending on the English to bring us our balls

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    we were told no national flags would be allowed for the linfield match in the setanta cup, but there were dozens of union jacks and red hands. didnt bother me much but thought it a bit strange that they'd just choose to ignore the rule/request.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lofty9 View Post
    Flags are a highly emotive political issue. If we display them we alienate a section of our support.
    Likewise if you instruct people to remove them, no ?
    LTID

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Derry City as a club with co-operation with its fans have had this policy in action for years. Do any of you actually understand the nature of society in the North? Flags are a highly emotive political issue. If we display them we alienate a section of our support. If your going to have a dig at us at trying to change attitudes in the north then that's your problem. There would be more complaints at the ground by people if the ground was laden by tricolours. Derry City is a cross community club.

PS A half obscurely displayed Scottish flag is irrelevant to the political situation in the North.
    Top post.
    and waving around national flags at a football match that's not an international is stupid anyway.
    A patriot is someone who knows how to hate his country properly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That is the greatest load of political jargon I heard.We may not have lived it the same way ye have (Poor ye) but we are not ignorant of what went on up there.We all hope that we can get passed that fact now,your club plays under the Tricolor, the flag is the national flag of our club.Regardless of been cross community club which I hope we are too, your other half of thee cross community are not ignorant of the fact that there team play under the TRICOLOR.Ye wont be long flying the TRICOLOR when ye what funding.

A few weeks ago there was a campaign to show racism the boot.IMO This is meant to educate us to respect each others traditions & values its not just about skin color.The TRICOLOR is our national flag and our Idenity.

As to sat the scottish flag has no bearing on the matter probably has more than you think.It shows ye as club pick and chose what nationalm flag can be flown.Thats Sectarism!
    Till d End!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofstan View Post
    Top post.
    and waving around national flags at a football match that's not an international is stupid anyway.
    What planet are you on.Most clubs do this including your own! Its your national flag and flown at most loi grounds on match day.
    Till d End!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Lofty9! Just want to ask ya something.I'm going to assume you were at the match last night so In your honest opinion "Did you notice the TRICOLOR in the corner last nite?I didnt see it and I was next to it,never came to my attention until the stewards started removing it. And If you did notice before that "Did you find it offensive?".
    Till d End!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Derry City as a club pride ourselves on portraying a non-sectarian ethos. I personally have no problems with other clubs displaying flags, whether they be Union Jacks, Tricolours or otherwise, but I can see why the club were trying to do this.

But some of the posts on here are verging on the ridiculous. Get a sense of perspective ffs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiba View Post
    What planet are you on.Most clubs do this including your own! Its your national flag and flown at most loi grounds on match day.
    Oddly enough, I'm capable of understanding that just because Bohs does something it may still not be right - I wouldn't suggest that anyone should employ Garreth Farrelly as a manager, for instance.

But, seriously, if you guys can't understand that, given the recent history of NI, flying Tricolours, Union Jacks or Ulster flags has a weight and significance that might make not doing it the prudent choice, then maybe you should be guided by the opinions of those who actually live there - i.e. Derry City - club and fans
    A patriot is someone who knows how to hate his country properly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OneRedArmy View Post
    Derry City as a club pride ourselves on portraying a non-sectarian ethos. I personally have no problems with other clubs displaying flags, whether they be Union Jacks, Tricolours or otherwise, but I can see why the club were trying to do this.

But some of the posts on here are verging on the ridiculous. Get a sense of perspective ffs

Someone obviously at the club has a problem with it and thats what all the RIDICULOUS is about.Get a sense of perspective ffs if was the other way round and happened to ye I'd say the world would hear about.Yer club chose to play under this flag remember!
    Till d End!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofstan View Post
    Oddly enough, I'm capable of understanding that just because Bohs does something it may still not be right - I wouldn't suggest that anyone should employ Garreth Farrelly as a manager, for instance.

But, seriously, if you guys can't understand that, given the recent history of NI, flying Tricolours, Union Jacks or Ulster flags has a weight and significance that might make not doing it the prudent choice, then maybe you should be guided by the opinions of those who actually live there - i.e. Derry City - club and fans
    We all know the History,been up north on countless occasions for work & pleasure.When driving up I went through lifford which brought through some towns of Orange persuadsion which at this time of the year is decked out with their colors,I didnt find it offensive and thought that it great the pride they take in their traditions.But then to get the ground where outside the tricolor is alround and see the TRICOLOR been taken down was disgracful.Look in all honesty to say it was causing offence is "Bull".Most people were watch the game as I said in another poist "I was beside it and never noticed it".A while back there was a game in Croke Park where "God save the Queen" was played that was a very emotive issue by some down south but we accepted it.So why can a Tricolor the national flag of the league they play in,be excepted it works both ways.Next month when the "love Ulster parade" goes down O'Connell Street in your honest opinion how will you feel about that.This is going of the point and proably bring my point to a different level but its like everything "If I called a colored person "Black" its seen as been racist but if he calls me "White" he is not.Is this still not racism? My point been all traditions have to be accepted not just what suits.
    Till d End!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Was not having the flag the reason you were beaten 4-1 lads?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think it's admirable the way the Derry board have responded to their fans' demands - for years, they've been singing "Take it down from the mast."
    Revenge for 2002

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Well atleast you admitted it

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast