PDA

View Full Version : loi xi

Pages : [1] 2

bray boy
05/06/2007, 8:27 PM
on eirtels eircom laegue focus it talked about an eircom laegue xi for an exhibition match against the senior team .this would be a kind off way to promote the league attract sponsers interest etc.wud this work???wud we beat the senior team????and more importantly what would the team be???i know standards has dropped slightly this season but id think wed really give th senior team a run for their money

GavinZac
05/06/2007, 8:30 PM
how fantastic would it be to see roy o'donovan against john o'shea?

pineapple stu
05/06/2007, 8:31 PM
Sod that. Conan Byrne against John O'Shea.

Actually, still only one outcome there...

Risteard
05/06/2007, 8:35 PM
That'd be a very decent XI in fairness.
They wouldn't win but they'd be mighty good.

kdjaC
05/06/2007, 8:35 PM
------------ Ryan
Horgan Maguire Shelly Webb
Murphy Gamble Fahey Robinson
----- O'Donovan Quigley

Best team on form.

The team chosen would be longfords but starting with only 7 players and me in goal to ensure a National team win. Betfair would still have longford as favourites tho.

kdjac

GavinZac
05/06/2007, 8:37 PM
to ensure a National team win.i wouldnt go that far. ensure is a strong word.

DRDoc
05/06/2007, 8:40 PM
Ive seen an awful lot of Pats and Rovers this season and there is no way in the world I would rank Ryan ahead of Barry Murphy

Ingoring the clean sheets he has won/saved at least8 or 9 points for rovers this season - in short he has been awesome in nearly every game

DRDoc
05/06/2007, 8:41 PM
I wouldnt be to sure about quigley either

swano
05/06/2007, 8:42 PM
------------ Ryan
----- O'Donovan Quigley

Best team on form.

The team chosen would be longfords but starting with only 7 players and me in goal to ensure a National team win. Betfair would still have longford as favourites tho.

kdjac

5 Pats, 3 Cork and 3 Drogs. No Rovers? We've only been on TV once so I don't know how anyone can judge teams of the season at this stage.

The idea of a league of Ireland xi select is a very good one though. Only way to get the barstoolers to take notice.

pineapple stu
05/06/2007, 8:43 PM
Ah, another LoI select XI thread. Has it been five weeks already?

kdjaC
05/06/2007, 8:43 PM
I wouldnt be to sure about quigley either

Leagues top scorer not good enough for you?

ehh the team i copied and pasted is the Eleven a side team of the season so far. Imo its short 7 pats players but thats imo.

kdjac

swano
05/06/2007, 8:49 PM
Obviously Jonny Mc as manager;)

Risteard
05/06/2007, 9:03 PM
Ya, he'd sort out those Lansdowne boo-boys.
I jus wanna taak abou dose bleeeedin Ireland fans . . . . .

gilberto_eire
05/06/2007, 9:32 PM
------------ Ryan
----- O'Donovan Quigley

Best team on form.

kdjac

our reggie nooitmeer is playing as good as or prob better then any of the backs you have mentioned... also paddy mccourt is prob the best center in the country.... rafa cretaro would also get in..... sligo would be deeper in trouble then they are already without him!!

gilberto_eire
05/06/2007, 10:05 PM
Turner is way ahead of Raf total class act would have to be in any first 11 of the league. We would also be in deeper in trouble then we are already without you lads ;):p

i dunno(not saying your wrong about turner) but i personally think rafa offers more to a team for what he does.... we still havent replaced him and its our joint weakest position on the pitch( right-wing and left-back)

DmanDmythDledge
05/06/2007, 10:55 PM
ehh the team i copied and pasted is the Eleven a side team of the season so far. Imo its short 7 pats players but thats imo.

kdjac
It isn't actually.

Conan Byrne has been easily the best right winger this season, although I'm only judging other players by TV games.

niallsparky
05/06/2007, 11:06 PM
Yeah not too sure about Ryan, gotta either be Barry or Brian Murphy I reckon. Crowe must also be pushing for a place but I wouldn't necessairaly disagree with Quigley and O Donovan. Agree that Chris Turner should possibly get a look in aswell.

sligoman
05/06/2007, 11:29 PM
rafa cretaro would also get in..... sligo would be deeper in trouble then they are already without him!!I'm gonna make a wild guess here...you've only seen us once so far this season, correct? Then how the feck do you know we'd be in more trouble without Raf?:confused:

gilberto_eire
05/06/2007, 11:45 PM
I'm gonna make a wild guess here...you've only seen us once so far this season, correct? Then how the feck do you know we'd be in more trouble without Raf?:confused:

well im taking a calculated guess considering how good of a player he is!! and considering frm when we played he destroyed us and made the two goals down the right!

Red4Eva
06/06/2007, 12:43 AM
rafa cretaro would also get in..... sligo would be deeper in trouble then they are already without him!!

no disrespect to raf but i'd consider brush, seamie, peersie, mckenzie, hughes, turner, faz and judge as being more important so far this season

geezer
06/06/2007, 6:57 AM
has got to be the most talented newcomer to the league this year, It wont be long before someone comes looking for him this guy is class

Hibs4Ever
06/06/2007, 7:09 AM
What are the opinions AGAINST Barry Ryan based on? Simply that he plays behind a good defence and has less saves to make?

The guy is class, and IMO the best 'keeper in the league

razor
06/06/2007, 7:46 AM
What are the opinions AGAINST Barry Ryan based on? Simply that he plays behind a good defence and has less saves to make?

The guy is class, and IMO the best 'keeper in the leagueOn current form then yes i'd agree whole heartedly.
Shame he can't take a joke though. ;)

Hibs4Ever
06/06/2007, 8:03 AM
On current form then yes i'd agree whole heartedly.
Shame he can't take a joke though. ;)

:confused:

BohsPartisan
06/06/2007, 8:16 AM
Brian Murphy in Goals, Crowe up front with O Donovan. Crowe is still the best man in the league to have in a one on one situation. On top of that his all round play is better now than it was when he played for Ireland.

Risteard
06/06/2007, 9:21 AM

The guy is class, and IMO the best 'keeper in the league
Probably the best in the league but was very poor for the two Galway goals.

St Rafa
06/06/2007, 9:59 AM
Think Barry is the best in the league. The 2 Murphys are very good but I think over the last 3 seasons Barry has been the best. Risteard I cant see how you can blame Barry for the 2 Galway goals. Brennan for the 1st and paisley for the second were to blame. Wouldnt place any blame on Barry. Plus he made a top class save from stephen o'flynn.

Dodge
06/06/2007, 10:12 AM
NO way was Ryan at fault for those goals.

Also Mark Quigley is currently the best striker in the country. Clear top scorer (no penalties either) and numerous assists

WeAreRovers
06/06/2007, 10:17 AM
I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone (blinkered Pats fans aside) would rate Barry Ryan over Barry Murphy. I haven't seen enough of Brian Murphy but he looks very good too. Mick Devine would be ahead of Ryan too for me.

As for Quigley ahead of Tadgh Purcell, I accept that Quigley's probably come on since he left the 'care' of R. Collins but Purcell has been a revelation in his first season in the Premier. Although some of us rated him from day one...well, me and Swano anyway.

KOH

Dodge
06/06/2007, 10:20 AM
So Pats fans are blinkered eh?

And trust me, NO ONE is more surprised at Quigley's performances this season than me

Risteard
06/06/2007, 10:25 AM
Risteard I cant see how you can blame Barry for the 2 Galway goals.

Watch them when elweekly is on here.
Should have got to the first one.
Was a tight angle and there wasn't much behind it.

Second one was put in the side of the net but he could have got to it.
Did that backwards dive thing a la Grobelaar.
Poor.

Dr.Nightdub
06/06/2007, 12:43 PM
Think Devine's credentials have been yundermined a bit this season by playing behind a less formidable defence than Cork used to have.

Haven't seen enough of Brian Murphy to judge but accept that Bohs fans are well impressed with him - whether that's more so relief cos he's an improvement on Shay Kelly / Oompa Loompa or whether it's cos he's excellent in his own right, I'm not sure.

Agree there's very little between our Barry and Rovers' Barry. Both excellent on shot-stopping, both very reliable in the air. Only thing between them in my view (and yes, this is based on seeing Barry Murphy far less often) is that Barry Ryan's greater height allows him to command his area far better, especially on high balls. After that, it's down to club preferences.

Can't see how anyone could sustain an argument against Quigo being in anyone's team of the season so far - probably the most improved striker in the League this year. Not the perfect article yet by any means but still a total joy to watch.

Dodge
06/06/2007, 12:59 PM
Agree there's very little between our Barry and Rovers' Barry. Both excellent on shot-stopping, both very reliable in the air. Only thing between them in my view (and yes, this is based on seeing Barry Murphy far less often) is that Barry Ryan's greater height

Not sure there's much in the height tbh. Its not like Ryan is Schmeical or someone like that

swano
06/06/2007, 2:14 PM
Our best player this season has been Ger O brien at right back. 9/10 in every game.
Purcell and Rowe have both been amazing although both have missed a few games through injury so hard to have them in a team of the season thus far. Baz has been brilliant as usual.

I've been very surprised with Quigley at pats. His attitude wasn't great with us (Roddy) but he looks a much better player now. I'd still be surprised if he can keep his performance levels as high for the remainder of the season.

Dodge
06/06/2007, 2:31 PM
Quigley's performances last season drifted between mediocre and poor. He didn't really get a look in upfront though and was mainly played on the wings. Talking to Dave Mulcahey in the off season and he said Quigley is the most talented footballer he's ever seen which even with last years duds was a surprise to most Pats fans in the conversation, even if some of us suspected Quigley had some talent hidden.

This year he's been nothing short of phemonenal. In our programme there's a player interviewed each week and when asked who the most talented member of the squad its usually Quigley (witha few votes for Ndo or Fahey in the mix). His control is superb and he's a lot stronger than he looks too. Like swano, I'd have my doubts as to how long he can keep it up for but if he can sustain his current levels, I'd be more than surprised if he doesn't win Player of the Year awards

btid1
06/06/2007, 2:56 PM
Is that Ger O'Brien who is ex-Kildare County?

Kildare Lad
06/06/2007, 3:47 PM

Yeah, he was easily our best player when he played for us. At our game on saturday, maybe a shock return:eek:

Nah didnt think so either:(

swano
06/06/2007, 3:52 PM

Certainly is. He was due to sign for you at the start of last season but he had a minor heart problem and bohs decided not to sign him.

OhNoYouDidn't
06/06/2007, 3:53 PM

yes, been brilliant this season. As has Purcell, Rowe, Ian Ryan and Price.

Our SPA Fc chums seem to forget we had a couple of seasons of 'blunders' Ryan so are in a better position to judge him compared to Murphy. All I can say is we are 1,000 times more confident with Murphy in goals. His preperation is top drawer too. As for Quigly, he sums up shoddy. The guy was a pudding under him, as soon as Johnny Mc gets his hands on him, massive improvement in play and more importantly, attitude.

As for Crowe, considering the bozos are the most fickle bunch, when they arent whining and actually praising a player, he must be on form.

Jerry The Saint
06/06/2007, 5:39 PM
Our SPA Fc chums seem to forget we had a couple of seasons of 'blunders' Ryan so are in a better position to judge him compared to Murphy. All I can say is we are 1,000 times more confident with Murphy in goals. His preperation is top drawer too.

And you seem to forget that Ryan could occasionally get...eh, distracted in those days. Concentration wasn't quite what it should have been for some reason or other...

(I fully expect to receive a stern warning from the FAI for the above despicable comment.) :(

Dodge
06/06/2007, 6:37 PM
swano's right; stay on topic lads

TonyD
06/06/2007, 6:56 PM
swano's right; stay on topic lads

Well, speaking of the origiinal topic, I would love to see such a game happen, but its simply a non runner. No way the "National" team would lower themselves to take on a mere LOI select. Not to mention the potential for embarressment should they fail to thump them by 5 or 6.

SligoBrewer
06/06/2007, 7:15 PM
seamie colemans in with a shout of that right back slot

Dr.Nightdub
06/06/2007, 11:13 PM
Just going back to the keeper thing, I'm not arguing for a moment that Barry Murphy is anything less than excellent. But as Liam Brady would say, "He plays a different role, John."

Cos our attack is so prolific, we can afford to give away silly consolation goals to the likes of Longford, Waterford, Sligo and Rovers. However, cos of Rovers' relatively goal-shy strikers, if a team scores against them, they win (providing, as DvB has helpfully pointed out, the Tolka floodlights don't keel over). Knock off the silly consolations and the two Barrys have conceded exactly the same amount of points-costing goals.

Our Barry is light years ahead in terms of entertainment value though, both to us and to opposition fans.

And if all that isn't preposterous-yet-watertight enough for anyone, I haven't even begun about how our 3-5-2 gives us a better points-costing goals per defender ratio than anyone else...

Shedzer
06/06/2007, 11:43 PM
Sligo Rovers players that definatly make the 16
Seamie Coleman (should start at right full, best in the league id say at the mo)
Chris Turner (different class, NI U-21 International, gets in the 11)

--
Faz (Maybe gets 16 because of his mad name and everyone fears him apparantly..hes well known etc.. He can play abit i suppose)
Gavin Peers (maybe)

razor
07/06/2007, 7:56 AM
Our Barry is light years ahead in terms of entertainment value though, both to us and to opposition fans.Could this message be communicated to the manager?

Vitruvian Man
07/06/2007, 8:57 AM
Certainly is. He was due to sign for you at the start of last season but he had a minor heart problem and bohs decided not to sign him.

I didn't about hear that.
Our loss really as I thnk he is a fine player.

I met Ger a few times in his previous occupation - he's a St Pats man through and through.

Pablo
07/06/2007, 9:17 AM
Just going back to the keeper thing, I'm not arguing for a moment that Barry Murphy is anything less than excellent. But as Liam Brady would say, "He plays a different role, John."

Cos our attack is so prolific, we can afford to give away silly consolation goals to the likes of Longford, Waterford, Sligo and Rovers. However, cos of Rovers' relatively goal-shy strikers, if a team scores against them, they win (providing, as DvB has helpfully pointed out, the Tolka floodlights don't keel over). Knock off the silly consolations and the two Barrys have conceded exactly the same amount of points-costing goals.

Our Barry is light years ahead in terms of entertainment value though, both to us and to opposition fans.

And if all that isn't preposterous-yet-watertight enough for anyone, I haven't even begun about how our 3-5-2 gives us a better points-costing goals per defender ratio than anyone else...

Now Devine has got a bit shakey i dont think Ryan can be touched. Great Keeper.

WeAreRovers
07/06/2007, 10:10 AM

Hilarious rationale there Doc. Two words for you that aren't open to interpretation - clean sheets. ;)

KOH

Dodge
07/06/2007, 10:16 AM
Hilarious rationale there Doc. Two words for you that aren't open to interpretation - clean sheets. ;)

takes more than clean sheets to judge a keeper :rolleyes: