PDA

View Full Version : Irish players released by UK clubs

Pages : [1] 2

RiffRaff
08/05/2007, 6:10 PM
There's likely to be quite a few in the next few weeks and i wonder how many could do a job in the Eircom League. Heres some i have read about so far:
Michael Keane and David Worrell (Rotherham)
Barry Cogan (Barnet)
Barry Conlon (Mansfield)
Saul Deeney (Notts Co)
Michael Reddy (Grimsby)
What does anyone reckon to the above, would they be worth an EL club offering a contract to?

DmanDmythDledge
08/05/2007, 6:15 PM
Patrick Kavanagh has been released by Birmingham.

superfrank
08/05/2007, 6:58 PM
I know Conlon and Reddy score plenty of goals, wherever they've been.

I don't have a high opinion of any of the others.

OneRedArmy
08/05/2007, 7:29 PM
Saul Deeney got to be worth a punt by Derry, given he's from the city and the incumbents aren't exactly covering themselves in glory.

He was the lad who had a heroic performance against Man U in last years cup for Burton Albion.

Ceirtlis
08/05/2007, 8:06 PM
Well most people on this board would be of the opinion that the eircom prem would be better than league two so going by that criteria clubs really shouldnt be looking at players released by league two clubs. I can see a few of these guys signing for eircom league clubs though.

Patrick Dunne
08/05/2007, 8:54 PM
Doncaster are releasing Sean Thornton.

Undoubted abiility, has a reputation as a messer.
Perhaps Richardson/Doolin might settle him down.

GUFC need a striker, Conlon or Reddy would be brilliant signings.
Cogan was rated very highly at Millwall.

GavinZac
08/05/2007, 8:57 PM

interesting, i remember going to see him play for ireland at cobh, and being more impressed by liam kearney. now that kearney found his way to cork, perhaps thorton might, especially given the illustrious company he would have in midfield, in terms of international experience like himself

pineapple stu
08/05/2007, 9:04 PM
Michael Reddy (Grimsby)
What happened there?

Kilkenny to scoring for Sunderland in the Premiership to being on the bench in Lansdowne Road to Player of the Year for Grimsby (at one stage I think?) to...?

Career stats here (http://www.grimsbytown-mad.co.uk/footydb/loadpcrr.asp?pid=38672). Would have thought he could do a job for someone here. Was he injured this season or just out of favour?

BobtheDrog
08/05/2007, 9:05 PM
David Worrell could do a job for any side in the league, was linked to us, shels and i think Cork this time last year. Maybe the Drogs should start a bring Thornton home campaign.

Rossi
08/05/2007, 9:09 PM
Thornton is a drog native so could possibly find his way back there.

BobtheDrog
08/05/2007, 9:13 PM
you see its starting already:)

joema
08/05/2007, 9:23 PM
What happened there?

Kilkenny to scoring for Sunderland in the Premiership to being on the bench in Lansdowne Road to Player of the Year for Grimsby (at one stage I think?) to...?

Career stats here (http://www.grimsbytown-mad.co.uk/footydb/loadpcrr.asp?pid=38672). Would have thought he could do a job for someone here. Was he injured this season or just out of favour?

AFAIK Reddy has actually een forced to retire due a series of serious injuries!...undoubted ability, was recently linked with Leeds and Blackburn amongst others but very unfortunate with injuries

BohsFans
08/05/2007, 11:03 PM
David Worrell could do a job for any side in the league, was linked to us, shels and i think Cork this time last year. Maybe the Drogs should start a bring Thornton home campaign.

He's Bohs!

We got a nice little cut from Sunderland too for 'developing' him.:)

BohsFans
08/05/2007, 11:04 PM
Patrick Kavanagh has been released by Birmingham.

How come?

I heard he was doing well over there.

BohsPartisan
08/05/2007, 11:05 PM
How come?

I heard he was doing well over there.

Kept babbling about the bicycles going past in twos and threes, and something about stoney grey soil.

OneRedArmy
08/05/2007, 11:14 PM
Kept babbling about the bicycles going past in twos and threes, and something about stoney grey soil.PoTM :D

Is free agent a new euphamism for "pushing up the daisies"?

You can be sure if he's going back to the EL its to Monaghan....

stann
09/05/2007, 9:02 AM
AFAIK Reddy has actually een forced to retire due a series of serious injuries!...undoubted ability, was recently linked with Leeds and Blackburn amongst others but very unfortunate with injuries

Don't know if he's going to retire, but I read somewhere the Grimsby manager saying that Reddy had been offered a new deal at the start of the season but turned it down, whether he was looking for more money or scouting around for a new club at that stage I don't know.
Then he got injured and was out for most of the season, 'hardly kicked a ball in anger' the manager said, and so the club just recently decided not to offer him a new contract for next season, hence he'll be a free agent. Whether his injury is career-ending I don't know, but certainly the manager never mentioned that.

Schumi
09/05/2007, 9:14 AM
How come?

I heard he was doing well over there.Seemed to be doing well in the reserves but I suppose he was unlikely to break in to the first team, with them getting promoted.

reder
09/05/2007, 9:42 AM

Jesus thats a fall from grace. A few seasons ago he was playing the fa cup semi for Sunderland at Old Trafford. Remember talking to his father on the flight when he was going over the watch him in it. He could be an excellent catch for an EL club. If you get him fit and in the right frame of mind he could a diamond.

drummerboy
09/05/2007, 10:18 AM
I'm afraid he seems to be a bit of a party animal. Judging by remarks on a Doncaster message board, he was popular there but they acknowledged he was to be seen regularly out on the town. In fairness to McCarthy, who put a lot of effort into getting him straightened out, he warned Thornton how his career would be placed in jeopardy if he didn't mend his ways. Hopefully his brother, Kevin, another talented individual now at Coventry, will not fall into the same trap.

superfrank
09/05/2007, 3:56 PM
Yes cos Rico was able to sort out O'Callaghan and O'Donovan. :rolleyes:

By all accounts, Thornton's a very difficult player to work with.

GavinZac
09/05/2007, 3:57 PM
Yes cos Rico was able to sort out O'Callaghan and O'Donovan. :rolleyes:

By all accounts, Thornton's a very difficult player to work with.
o'donovan is a messer? :confused:

superfrank
09/05/2007, 4:05 PM
o'donovan is a messer? :confused:
I don't know but his overall attitude on the pitch could certainly be a lot better.

Cymro
09/05/2007, 4:39 PM
I've heard from the Cardiff City MB that Jason Byrne's likely to be leaving them in the summer.

He'd probably be looking to return to Ireland.

BohsPartisan
09/05/2007, 4:47 PM
I've heard from the Cardiff City MB that Jason Byrne's likely to be leaving them in the summer.

I heard ourselves and Pats have already been sniffing around.

Aaron
09/05/2007, 4:56 PM
PF is supposed to be after Byrne aswell, also linked with Sammy Morrow

kdjaC
09/05/2007, 5:58 PM
Cardiff want 100 grand for him which is fair enough, thought he would have stuck it out tbh.

The PFA site usually lists these as they happen but it sems to be down atm.

kdjac

Lionel Ritchie
09/05/2007, 6:03 PM
Conlon is from CMX. Cometh the hour cometh the Mon? ...or Dundalk maybe?

That said I've plenty of time for the argument advanced that LOI clubs can do better than league 2 cast offs.

Raheny Red
09/05/2007, 10:07 PM
Cardiff want 100 grand for him which is fair enough, thought he would have stuck it out tbh.

The PFA site usually lists these as they happen but it sems to be down atm.

kdjac

He went over unfit and never made his mark. BTW he was in Tolka last night!

SligoBrewer
09/05/2007, 10:37 PM
Saul Deeney got to be worth a punt by Derry, given he's from the city and the incumbents aren't exactly covering themselves in glory.

He was the lad who had a heroic performance against Man U in last years cup for Burton Albion.

*ahem*burton albion supporter*ahem*

deeney was released by burton right after the manure games cause he wasnt really that good...

we had a 43 yr old in goal this season instead of resigning him:eek:

kdjaC
09/05/2007, 10:51 PM
He went over unfit and never made his mark. BTW he was in Tolka last night!

Hes a pro footballer and he was unfit?

kdjac

Raheny Red
09/05/2007, 11:08 PM
Hes a pro footballer and he was unfit?

kdjac

I read somewhere he was recovering from an injury when he got over there, I wonder how he passed the medical..........also, he went over his ankle a few weeks ago too!

kdjaC
09/05/2007, 11:14 PM
I read somewhere he was recovering from an injury when he got over there, I wonder how he passed the medical..........also, he went over his ankle a few weeks ago too!

Scored in his 1st game irc, he went over there to be a better player if he was unfit its his problem. If he gets let go because of it he can have noone to blame but himself.

kdjac

Dyl10
09/05/2007, 11:16 PM
Kept babbling about the bicycles going past in twos and threes, and something about stoney grey soil.

I heard it was lost love by the canal :cool:

Cymro
09/05/2007, 11:36 PM

He got injured after his second appearance for Cardiff (both as a sub). However he hasn't played since coming back from injury, except an FAW Premier Cup appearence (where I thought he was poor), and is probably about 5th in the pecking order now, behind Chopra, Steve Thompson, Warren Feeney, and Matt Green.

To be fair I think he deserves a proper chance at Cardiff, but Dave Jones obviously doesn't rate him.

d13bohs
09/05/2007, 11:37 PM
I heard ourselves and Pats have already been sniffing around.

I hope that's not true about us, I still don't think him and Crowe work together and I would rather have Glen in the team than that big-nosed tallaght ******. Plus he'd want silly money as well which he's definitely not worth. Hopefully Pats are more successful with their sniffing (I'd insert a Barry Ryan joke here but then I would be a blight on the game of football and not a real fan) :(

Raheny Red
09/05/2007, 11:56 PM
He would be worth every penny, his eL record says it all! Goalscorers like him don't just grow on trees you know!

neutrino
10/05/2007, 12:42 PM
*ahem*burton albion supporter*ahem*

deeney was released by burton right after the manure games cause he wasnt really that good...

we had a 43 yr old in goal this season instead of resigning him:eek:

despite being a burton supporter i think you might have it wrong on that. deeney was released becuase he wouldnt commit to burton. clough felt he was more interested in getting a league club than playing for burton so clough let deeney at it. burton would have signed deeney, if he was commited to a contract.

anyway tis trivial.

Ceirtlis
10/05/2007, 12:52 PM

He turned his arse to the ball about six yards out when the ball was coming accross the box to him against Derby. He had come on as a sub and was subsequently subbed. Id say that was the beginning of the end for him.

Steve Bruce
10/05/2007, 1:12 PM
He turned his arse to the ball about six yards out when the ball was coming accross the box to him against Derby. He had come on as a sub and was subsequently subbed. Id say that was the beginning of the end for him.

I think the step up from LOI(or IL) to the Championship in England is emense and only a few players on this island would be able to make the transition.

Soper
10/05/2007, 1:19 PM
Hawkins, Ward, Doyle, Forde, O'Callaghan.....

lofty9
16/05/2007, 10:58 AM
Jason Byrne staying with Cardiff.

OneRedArmy
16/05/2007, 11:10 AM
I think the step up from LOI(or IL) to the Championship in England is emense and only a few players on this island would be able to make the transition.Change the record....:rolleyes:

Burnsie
16/05/2007, 1:03 PM
I think the step up from LOI(or IL) to the Championship in England is emense and only a few players on this island would be able to make the transition.

spot on lad

Dodge
16/05/2007, 1:23 PM

I would've agreed with you last year BUT Stephen Ward wouldn't have made many LOI fans top ten strikers last year and he's doing quite well for himself at Wolves (I think he won the CHampionship POTM earlier this year).

If he can do it, plenty of others can

pete
16/05/2007, 1:51 PM
I think the step up from LOI(or IL) to the Championship in England is immense and only a few players on this island would be able to make the transition.

I think could easily find list eL players able to make the move into Championship first teams as shown by the numbers in the last year. Not all those that left were the best players in the eL which shows plenty of more players could "make it".

Players such as Murphy & Long left before them too.

Burnsie
16/05/2007, 3:40 PM
Stephen Ward wouldn't have made many LOI fans top ten strikers last year and he's doing quite well

an anomaly: someone whose skills were better suited to the english divisions than the eircom league. to counter the point: i assume jason byrne would have been in every LOI fan's top one strikers for the last five years, and he ahs sunk without a trace.

Dodge
16/05/2007, 4:50 PM
If you read the thread, you'll see why

And he certainly wasn't my top striker.

Suppose Dayl Murphy and Kevin Doyle are anolamies too?

BohsFans
16/05/2007, 4:56 PM
I think Wes Hoolihan deserves a mention as well, he's better than League One anyway!

Aaron
16/05/2007, 5:42 PM
I think Wes Hoolihan deserves a mention as well, he's better than League One anyway!

Middlesbrough supposed to be after him