PDA

View Full Version : Back to Back Champions

Steve Bruce
16/04/2007, 3:18 PM
Linfield has once again shown our superiority in the IL winning the league for the 47th time, although not official untill Saturday.

Hopefully next season we will see a stronger Cliftonville & Portadown.

I think Glentoran will need next season to get rid of a lot of dead wood and it could take a season or two to be able to get themselves a young athletic hungry squad to challange Linfield properly.

Also with Cliftonville replacing Dungannon in the Setanta cup, I would say the IL will compete a hell of a lot better next season.

Cliftonville are still the best footballing side Linfield has played this season including the LOI teams. They gave us a complete footballing lesson. So I would expect them to acheive greater things that Glentoran or Portadown did.(although not very hard to do)

Anyway, the 1st part of our treble acheived. Lets hope we can get a home draw in the All Ireland Setanta Cup.

AnnaghRed
16/04/2007, 5:47 PM
Congratulations on saturdays result. I thought the Glens could have maybe sneaked a win and made youse sweat a bit, but they seem as f*cked as we are.

How many Glens fans would you guesstimate?. Glentoran.net is giving the attendance as just under 7000 and if you had 4500 there then it doesnt leave much to go round!

Dungannon may yet make next seasons Setanta though they'd have to win the cup [i think]. Failing that it looks like Portadown will be in it again, and on this seasons performance i'm actually disappointed by that.

Steve Bruce
16/04/2007, 6:59 PM
Congratulations on saturdays result. I thought the Glens could have maybe sneaked a win and made youse sweat a bit, but they seem as f*cked as we are.

How many Glens fans would you guesstimate?. Glentoran.net is giving the attendance as just under 7000 and if you had 4500 there then it doesnt leave much to go round!

Dungannon may yet make next seasons Setanta though they'd have to win the cup [i think]. Failing that it looks like Portadown will be in it again, and on this seasons performance i'm actually disappointed by that.

Glentorans crowd was very dissapointing. Unfortunately Glentoran seen fit to restrict the away support rather than give us more of the ground share. We sold our tickets out and I know there was many who wanted tickets.

BohsPartisan
16/04/2007, 8:47 PM
Well done to all the Linfield lads.

David
16/04/2007, 8:57 PM
Linfield has once again shown our superiority in the IL winning the league for the 47th time, although not official untill Saturday.

Hopefully next season we will see a stronger Cliftonville & Portadown.

I think Glentoran will need next season to get rid of a lot of dead wood and it could take a season or two to be able to get themselves a young athletic hungry squad to challange Linfield properly.

Also with Cliftonville replacing Dungannon in the Setanta cup, I would say the IL will compete a hell of a lot better next season.

Cliftonville are still the best footballing side Linfield has played this season including the LOI teams. They gave us a complete footballing lesson. So I would expect them to acheive greater things that Glentoran or Portadown did.(although not very hard to do)

Anyway, the 1st part of our treble acheived. Lets hope we can get a home draw in the All Ireland Setanta Cup.

Cliftonville could be replacing Portadown rather than Dungannon in the Setanta. If Dungannon win the cup they are in again. If we beat Distillery next week, Dungannon are guaranteed Europe.

Oh and dcfcsteve, do you want the address to send that cheque to?

Steve Bruce
17/04/2007, 9:37 AM
Cliftonville could be replacing Portadown rather than Dungannon in the Setanta. If Dungannon win the cup they are in again. If we beat Distillery next week, Dungannon are guaranteed Europe.

Well to be fair to Dungannon, they deserve it, they haven't set the tournement a light but at least they weren't whipping boys like Portadown.

It will be good to see Cliftonville play the Southerners as I feel there style of play would create a lot of problems down there.

David
17/04/2007, 9:49 AM
Well to be fair to Dungannon, they deserve it, they haven't set the tournement a light but at least they weren't whipping boys like Portadown.

It will be good to see Cliftonville play the Southerners as I feel there style of play would create a lot of problems down there.

But of course, no harm to Dungannon, I don't want them in as it would mean we have lost the Irish Cup.

Steve Bruce
17/04/2007, 10:03 AM
But of course, no harm to Dungannon, I don't want them in as it would mean we have lost the Irish Cup.

Agreed.

gspain
17/04/2007, 10:09 AM

A defeat in the Cup final to Linfield would guarantee Setanta and UEFA qualification for the Swits. If it is Distillery then they need to win.

David
17/04/2007, 11:04 AM
A defeat in the Cup final to Linfield would guarantee Setanta and UEFA qualification for the Swits. If it is Distillery then they need to win.

I don't think runners up in the cup get a Setanta place if winners are already in, this is only the case for Europe. Setanta goes to next place in league which has not qualified, in this case Portadown.

Mr_Parker
17/04/2007, 12:11 PM
I don't think runners up in the cup get a Setanta place if winners are already in, this is only the case for Europe. Setanta goes to next place in league which has not qualified, in this case Portadown.

If the same qualification process applies to next season as this then Dungannon will be in the Setanta unless Distillery get to and beat them in the IC final. If Linfield win the IC, the IC Setanta place does go to the runners up.

Definately through to next seasons comp are Glentoran, Linfield and Cliftonville. The remaining place will be between Dungannon and Distillery.

Schumi
17/04/2007, 12:16 PM
I don't think runners up in the cup get a Setanta place if winners are already in, this is only the case for Europe.
It seems to be the same as Europe, if someone does the double, the cup runners up get in. That's how Pats got in this year (Derry being considered for qualification purposes to have won the league after Shels collapsed).

dcfcsteve
17/04/2007, 12:29 PM

Congratulations to the Blues on yet another Irish league title. As the wrestler on Soccer AM would say "Eee-asy, ee-asy". Yees must surely be getting bored of it all by now..... :)

I won't have the time to clear out my PM inbox for the next few days, so post the details up here (incl who cheque to be paid out to) and I'll fire it over after the weekend.

Cheers,

Steve

David
17/04/2007, 2:07 PM
If you really want to send it address is:

Linfield FC
Windsor Park
Donegall Avenue
Belfast
BT12 6LW

Was only a bit of a laugh though. :)

Steve Bruce
17/04/2007, 2:38 PM
Congratulations to the Blues on yet another Irish league title. As the wrestler on Soccer AM would say "Eee-asy, ee-asy". Yees must surely be getting bored of it all by now..... :)

I won't have the time to clear out my PM inbox for the next few days, so post the details up here (incl who cheque to be paid out to) and I'll fire it over after the weekend.

Cheers,

Steve

Only a supporter of a team who hardly wins anything would say that. It never gets boring my friend.:cool:

AnnaghRed
17/04/2007, 6:06 PM
It seems to be the same as Europe, if someone does the double, the cup runners up get in.

No way should the cup runners-up be getting into Europe, at least not since the demise of the CWC.

That said i hope results conspire to help us avoid next seasons Setanta.

Portadown simply don't have the resources to be competing on three different fronts at this time of the season.

gspain
18/04/2007, 7:34 AM
No way should the cup runners-up be getting into Europe, at least not since the demise of the CWC.

That said i hope results conspire to help us avoid next seasons Setanta.

Portadown simply don't have the resources to be competing on three different fronts at this time of the season.

That is a UEFA rule. There is a UEFA Cup place reserved for the cup since the demise of the CWC. The only exception would be if both finalists qualify for the champions league. I think we are still a bit off any league on this island gaining a 2nd champions league place.

dcfcsteve
18/04/2007, 11:18 AM
Only a supporter of a team who hardly wins anything would say that. It never gets boring my friend.:cool:

A team that hardly wins anything....? When I meet a Harps fan, I'll pass your sentiments on to them.

Being a fan of a team that won 2 out of the 3 trophies in their league last year - and only missed out on the clean sweep by goal difference - you'd be forgiven for expecting me to share the same view as you. But I would find no joy in DCFC romping the Derry and District League every year.

Being a big fish in a small pond is no great shakes. Come join the captive breeding programme in the pond next door. The water's lovely, the company is friendlier, and there's a lot more room to grow.....! :D

dcfcsteve
18/04/2007, 11:19 AM
If you really want to send it address is:

Linfield FC
Windsor Park
Donegall Avenue
Belfast
BT12 6LW

Was only a bit of a laugh though. :)

A deal's a deal David. Will get a cheque off later this week.

Bet you're gutted you didn't go for the double or quits option on Derry winning the EL this season...... :D

Risteard
18/04/2007, 11:30 AM
A deal's a deal David. Will get a cheque off later this week.

What's this about?
You're donating to the Blues because they won the league?
Why would anyone bet against that?

dcfcsteve
18/04/2007, 11:37 AM
What's this about?

David thought there was shame in DCFC only missing out on the league on goal difference. At the time, Linfield were struggling in the IL - quite a few points adrift. So I offered a bet on whether or not they'd do better than we did.

I also offered him double or quits on whether City would win the league this year ! :eek: Thankfully, he had too much faith in us..... :D

David
18/04/2007, 12:46 PM
What's this about?

Bet came about when we were five points behind Glentoran around Christmas. Deal was if we won the league dcfc made a £50 donation to Linfield FC and I did likewise with Derry if we didn't.

Risteard
18/04/2007, 1:03 PM
Tut.
Silly steve.

paudie
18/04/2007, 1:10 PM
Congrats to the Blues on winning the league.

It will also be good to see a new face like Cliftonville in the Setanta next year.

Mr_Parker
18/04/2007, 2:21 PM
Congrats to the Blues on winning the league.

It will also be good to see a new face like Cliftonville in the Setanta next year.

Get your rule books ready. :D

Steve Bruce
18/04/2007, 2:27 PM
A team that hardly wins anything....? When I meet a Harps fan, I'll pass your sentiments on to them.

Being a fan of a team that won 2 out of the 3 trophies in their league last year - and only missed out on the clean sweep by goal difference - you'd be forgiven for expecting me to share the same view as you. But I would find no joy in DCFC romping the Derry and District League every year.

Being a big fish in a small pond is no great shakes. Come join the captive breeding programme in the pond next door. The water's lovely, the company is friendlier, and there's a lot more room to grow.....! :D

We are undefeated in the group stages for 15 games. I think it's safe to say we are just a big fish on a wee island:cool:

dcfcsteve
19/04/2007, 1:25 AM
We are undefeated in the group stages for 15 games. I think it's safe to say we are just a big fish on a wee island:cool:

Salmon go on an epic, but brief, journey once every year, before hurrying back to their smaller home waters.

Popping cross-border for a few games before returning to the comfort zone of the IL for a full season's worth of games doesn't stop yees being big fish in a small pond.

Stop swimming back to the security of your wee pond and stick around the bigger, choppier waters for a proper length of time - and then we'll see just how big yee's really are.....

David
19/04/2007, 6:28 AM
Salmon go on an epic, but brief, journey once every year, before hurrying back to their smaller home waters.

Popping cross-border for a few games before returning to the comfort zone of the IL for a full season's worth of games doesn't stop yees being big fish in a small pond.

Stop swimming back to the security of your wee pond and stick around the bigger, choppier waters for a proper length of time - and then we'll see just how big yee's really are.....

Why should we? Why should we be criticised for playing in our own league? Teams all over the world do it. You are the exception rather than the rule and, after all, you have shown that you are unable to mix it with the real big boys, us. Seven points behind in a six game league really is a massive gap.

Steve Bruce
19/04/2007, 8:19 AM

I find it rather ironic how a Derry City man is talking about big and small ponds.

Derry City where NEVER a force in the IL and for most of the time NEVER a force in the LOI. Derry City always did have a good support, but there team was never any great shakes. One or two good seasons here and there but on the whole your an also ran club. Always where and always will be, no matter what pond you play in.

Poor Student
19/04/2007, 10:47 AM
Steves and David, this thread will be closed if it turns into your new battleground for Linfield v Derry.

Steve Bruce
19/04/2007, 12:48 PM
Steves and David, this thread will be closed if it turns into your new battleground for Linfield v Derry.

First of all, Why are me and David being singled out. It takes two to tango.

2nd of all, I feel that this is friendly banter exchanged by two rival clubs. Is this forum not allowed to have banter?

I would understand your comment if there was a slanging match going on, but to me it is pure banter and I haven't been offended by any posts so far.

This is becoming a joke. If anyone has been offended so far please stand up? I feel the moderation on this board are hyper sensitive. Do you not want people to have some enjoyable controlled friendly banter?

David
19/04/2007, 1:44 PM
First of all, Why are me and David being singled out. It takes two to tango.

2nd of all, I feel that this is friendly banter exchanged by two rival clubs. Is this forum not allowed to have banter?

I would understand your comment if there was a slanging match going on, but to me it is pure banter and I haven't been offended by any posts so far.

This is becoming a joke. If anyone has been offended so far please stand up? I feel the moderation on this board are hyper sensitive. Do you not want people to have some enjoyable controlled friendly banter?

In fairness he does say Steves as in the plural. The remainder of your points are very valid though. Seems you are not allowed to defend your club on this forum (watch this thread being moved now)

Poor Student
19/04/2007, 2:25 PM
Yes, the plural Steves was no accidnet. You've had your say, now take it to PMs or Support or watch it go to the rubbish.

dcfcsteve
20/04/2007, 1:10 AM
Woo-hooo ! UCD smell....... :D

EalingGreen
20/04/2007, 1:58 PM

For someone who does his share of "fishing", you don't know much about fish! ;)

Salmon are spawned and hatched in cool, clean, flowing freshwater, where they grow and thrive for a year or two. Then they make their epic journey to the ocean, but only to feed for one, two or sometimes three years, before making the return journey back to their original home stream, where they spawn and pass on their genetic inheritance for succeeding generations.

The Foyle was historically one of the great Salmon rivers of Europe, so by your analogy, it would actually be fitting if Derry City, having made their epic outward journey to the wilds, were to return back home, where they belong! ;)

Mind you, it should also be pointed out that although a few Hen Salmon survive all this, so as to repeat the process, the great majority - including all the C0ck Salmon - die from the effort! :eek:

Anyhow, I hope this doesn't get this thread closed...

Poor Student
22/04/2007, 10:06 AM
Anyhow, I hope this doesn't get this thread closed...

I'll allow it for sheer effort.;) But if Steve replies it's gone. No more Derry nonsense.

lofty9
22/04/2007, 3:25 PM
No more Derry nonsense.

tell that to Mr Fenlon.

dcfcsteve
22/04/2007, 6:23 PM
I'll allow it for sheer effort.;) But if Steve replies it's gone. No more Derry nonsense.

UCD still smell....! :p

Is that this thread closed now ? Ohhhh - the power......! :D