PDA

View Full Version : The Ronaldo Debate

Pages : [1] 2

jebus
11/04/2007, 6:21 PM
We started talking about this in the RTE Panel thread, but I didn't want to take too off topic so I decided to start this thread about whether or not Cristiano Ronaldo is the best player in the world, if he can go on to be one of the greats and if he isn't the best player in the world, then who is?

Personally I don't think has the same sort of spark that set Zidane, Maradona and Pele apart, in my mind they are the big three as far as football legends go, and I can't see Ronaldo ever breaking into that bracketing. As for if he's the best player in the world today and if not then who? Well for my money Kaka of AC Milan beats him hands down. He's got the same skills as Ronaldo, but has a better footballing head about him. I think a lot of the Ronaldo hype has a lot to do with the British media wanting the Premiership to have the best player in the world playing in that league. If Kaka were to sign for Chelsea this summer, and Ronaldo left United for (say) Real Madrid, they'd start hyping Kaka in the same way they have done Ronaldo.

All that said though Ronaldo is a far better player than Wayne Rooney ;)

2legged tackle
11/04/2007, 7:50 PM
If Kaka were to sign for Chelsea this summer, and Ronaldo left United for (say) Real Madrid, they'd start hyping Kaka in the same way they have done Ronaldo.

I don't think that the hype is all about the British media trying to say they have the best player in the world. I think alot of the reason the hype is so much is also because Cristiano Ronaldo was virtually unheard of before he signed for United so I don't think its fair to say if Kaka came to Chelsea and Ronaldo was to go he would get the same attention.

As for the best player in the world I wouldn't put Ronaldo in a league with any of those mentioned. All though extremely talented I don't think he has the footballing brain that Zidane, Maradona or Péle posessed, which I think Rooney has.

I'd take Rooney ahead of Ronaldo because its easy to forget that Rooney is just a bit low in confidence but still one of the best players in the premiership week in week out. Also as the two get older. What will happen when Ronaldo hits his thirtys and loses his pace. Most great players are judged on there late twentys early thirtys so in years to come I think Rooney will prove a much better player.

anto1208
11/04/2007, 9:48 PM
Best player ever !! i think you wont find anyone saying that .

Best at the moment then yes and i dont think its just hype look at the number of goals and assists from midfield any striker would love to have those stats .He performs against the small teams and on the big stage very consistantly .

Kaka or ronaldinho havent done it for me this season

Risteard
11/04/2007, 11:12 PM
Messi is **** hot at the moment but if we're talking attacking players I'd have Ronaldinho and Kaka ahead of Cristiano.

IMO Chelsea are among the top three clubs in the world but still have one player without whom they're half the team.
John Terry.

Quite possibly the only under-rated English international ever.

feo123
11/04/2007, 11:16 PM
those g****tes on RTE are never happy! they started talking about how roma just gave up after going 3-0 down and thats the reason united won so comfortably, they couldn't just say well done uinited, different class, too good.... there always has to be a negative with them.
if ronaldo does something class they'll find something he done wrong in the game and talk more about that! same for most players they talk about....there a bunch of knockers and hipocrits!

lim abroad
12/04/2007, 3:53 AM
not a big fan of ronaldinho myself,fails to produce sometimes when it matters imo,love watching ronaldo though,his improvement from the time he signed with united to this season has been incredible

Closed Account 2
12/04/2007, 8:30 AM
I think Simao of Benfica is actually a better player than Ronaldo

anto1208
12/04/2007, 9:42 AM
Messi is **** hot at the moment but if we're talking attacking players I'd have Ronaldinho and Kaka ahead of Cristiano.

IMO Chelsea are among the top three clubs in the world but still have one player without whom they're half the team.
John Terry.

Quite possibly the only under-rated English international ever.

This season ??

superfrank
12/04/2007, 10:27 AM
I think Ronaldo is definitely the best attacking player in the Premiership for the time being. He is probably one of the best in the world at the moment. I don't think he will ever be on the same level as the great names mentioned as he doesn't always do the smart thing, even now that he's matured.

NeilMcD
12/04/2007, 10:32 AM
I think at the moment on he is the most on form player in the world right now. If I was a defender I would not like to face him than any other player at the moment.

elroy
12/04/2007, 10:51 AM
Ronaldo is a top player and has had a fantastic season for United, however he is not the finished article by any means and needs to produce this type of form consistently over a few seasons to be considered as one of the greats.
He is not the greatest finisher IMO, his record in Europe shows this, however he has improved an awful lot with his finishing since last year. Furthermore for the amount of ball that he receives he does not create enough as he could, too many times he gets in decent positions without delivering a final cross/pass/shot etc, however this is an area of his game that has improved since last year and if he continues these improvements then he will be worthy to be considered one of the greats.

For me, the best player in the premiership, although he has had a terrible season with injuries, burn out etc is Henry.

Risteard
12/04/2007, 11:23 AM
This season ??
Yes everything I said, except Ronaldinho who has mixed some poor form with some unbelievable performances aswell.

jebus
12/04/2007, 1:36 PM
Best player ever !! i think you wont find anyone saying that .

Best at the moment then yes and i dont think its just hype look at the number of goals and assists from midfield any striker would love to have those stats .He performs against the small teams and on the big stage very consistantly .

Well the Gaurdian stated that he is United's best attacking player since George Best, who is always rated in the English press as one of the best players ever. The tabloids seem to suggest he's on the verge of being mentioned in the same breath as Maradona and Zidane, and its only a matter of time at this stage

As for Cristiano performing on the big stage consistantly, honestly I think he goes missing in a lot of big games, and doesn't have the same impact as he does on the smaller teams. Same can be said of Thierry Henry, another player I think is fantastic (and a better attacking option that Ronaldo), but he goes missing on the big nights, or at least he has in the past few seasons anyway

anto1208
12/04/2007, 2:13 PM
Well the Gaurdian stated that he is United's best attacking player since George Best, who is always rated in the English press as one of the best players ever. The tabloids seem to suggest he's on the verge of being mentioned in the same breath as Maradona and Zidane, and its only a matter of time at this stage

As for Cristiano performing on the big stage consistantly, honestly I think he goes missing in a lot of big games, and doesn't have the same impact as he does on the smaller teams. Same can be said of Thierry Henry, another player I think is fantastic (and a better attacking option that Ronaldo), but he goes missing on the big nights, or at least he has in the past few seasons anyway

So did zidane so did maradona, ronaldinho goes missing for large chunks of every game ( namely when the ball is in the barca half ) , i can remember games with maradona and he was shocking doesnt mean he was nt a great player .

No player will be brilliant for 90 mins every game they will come in and out of it , but ronaldo is only 21 when he hits his peak at 28 then we can judge him against zidane etc but not untill then . I still think at the moment on current form he is the best

2legged tackle
12/04/2007, 4:13 PM
I know there two completly different players but if your on about performing on the big stage, Nesta was unbelivable in the world cup, and as for last night. Top class!
I know he'll never get the same attention as Ronaldo but for me Nesta is the best footballer in the world.

Risteard
12/04/2007, 4:17 PM
I thought he only played two games in Germany.
Cannavaro was the hero there.

Metrostars
12/04/2007, 4:41 PM
People have to remember that Ronaldo is only 21. Was Zidane considered one of the best players in the world at 21? No. Was Maradona? Not really, especially considering the hype about him before the 1982 World Cup and his failure then.

Ronaldo is still evolving as a player and still learning. I just thinks it's funny before the Roma game Dunphy says it is time for Ronaldo to play well in these big games and then afterwards still doesnt count him as a great player.

Risteard
12/04/2007, 5:23 PM
He's 22.
Messi is 3 years younger than him and better already.

Marked Man
12/04/2007, 5:44 PM
, Nesta was unbelivable in the world cup, and as for last night. Top class!

He was certainly very good at going to ground any time there was an opponent anywhere near him.

Ceirtlis
12/04/2007, 5:49 PM
Ronaldo has been the player of the season in the premiership for me without a doubt. You have to remember the vilification he was getting in the press in England in the summer when you say that he is overhyped by the media. They were dying for him to have a bad season so they could keep on having a go at him. That said i think his glory hunting is going to stop him from being the player he should be. He can be a bit of a drama queen at times with referees, he sometimes tries to round a whole defense and has a tendency to shoot from free kicks from about 40 yards when he has no chance of scoring. I wouldnt be surprised if got carried away with the superstar lifestyle later in his career like David Beckham. Smashing player though.

bennocelt
12/04/2007, 6:06 PM
this is the season where Ronaldo has to show us if he is as good as all the hype and so far he is, even if he cant actually cross a decent enough ball, but that performance against roma was class

Kaka? was useless against bayern munich i thought

for me the best players i have seen this season was/ is jamie carragher, if Liverpool can go all the way in the CL, could he be the best player of the world?
or do english players ever win these thing anymore?

Lim till i die
12/04/2007, 7:34 PM
1. He doesn't track back.

Example: Any joy Roma were getting before capitulation the other night was from Pannucci down the left as a direct result of Ronaldo not bothering his ar$e

So that rules him out for best all rounder

2. Constantly fails to deliver the final ball

Example: Any game you care to watch him in

So that rules him out of being best provider

3. What about best goalscorer?

Not by a long shot pal

So in conclusion a decent, if disgustingly overated player who has a long way to go before being considered world class

Anyone who mentions him in the same sentence as Maradona unless its to say how far superior Maradona was should be banned from watching football

Lim till i die
12/04/2007, 7:37 PM
for me the best players i have seen this season was/ is jamie carragher,

See more players would be my advice

In fairness to Carragher though he's the prime example of an absolute plodder getting every last drop out of his limited ability by always giving 100%

if Liverpool can go all the way in the CL, could he be the best player of the world?

He's a long way from being the best player in the Merseyside part of it for God sake :eek:

Soper
12/04/2007, 9:19 PM
Carragher is far too 'last ditch' for my liking. Terry is far superior, in my opinion.

bennocelt
12/04/2007, 9:24 PM

Example: Any joy Roma were getting before capitulation the other night was from Pannucci down the left as a direct result of Ronaldo not bothering his ar$e

Not by a long shot pal

16 or more goals this season would suggest not a bad return for a midfielder,
manure utds top scorer

and jeez you would hardly expect him to track back as far as the defence line when john o shea and fletcher had that side covered for, or are you just mimicking what ray houghton was talking about
you expect far too much wehn you require an attacking minded winger to be tracking back that far

Risteard
12/04/2007, 9:48 PM
Time for a Worlds Best Player poll methinks.
Nominations.
Cristiano Ronaldo.
Ronaldinho
John Terry
Fabio Cannavaro
Kaka
Messi?
Henry?
Totti?

Soper
12/04/2007, 9:51 PM
I think Pirlo is a possible contender for that too.

stojkovic
12/04/2007, 11:44 PM
I know there two completly different players but if your on about performing on the big stage, Nesta was unbelivable in the world cup, and as for last night. Top class!
I know he'll never get the same attention as Ronaldo but for me Nesta is the best footballer in the world.

:eek: :eek: :D

Nesta is a great defender but he only played two full games in the last World Cup.

Best player for me at the moment is Kaka because he plays and creates through the middle, I dont think CRonaldo could do that.

CRonaldo is undoubtedly the best WINGER and has the potential to become as good as Figo. Although I think Messi will be better. CRonaldo may let himself down in the future by the way he loves himself abit too much. I think he should get the hell out of England if he wants to reach his potential.

Terry, Carvalho and Carragher are the best defenders at the moment. Cannavarro has had a quiet season at Madrid.

Will be interesting to see how Maldini copes with CRonaldo if they come face to face. Maldini is more in the centre nowadays. Last time Paolo had him in his pocket and laughed at his step-overs. However they are both two years older.

Risteard
13/04/2007, 12:12 AM
Maldini playing is ridiculous at this stage. Soon to be 39. Alright for Sheringham but this guy is in Champions League finals and semis.
Any idea how he's playing recently?

Risteard
13/04/2007, 12:18 AM
Just saw that Costacurta still gets the odd game for them. He's 41 next week.

anto1208
13/04/2007, 8:55 AM

2. Constantly fails to deliver the final ball

Example: Any game you care to watch him in

Not by a long shot pal

So in conclusion a decent, if disgustingly overated player who has a long way to go before being considered world class

Anyone who mentions him in the same sentence as Maradona unless its to say how far superior Maradona was should be banned from watching football

1.If him not tracking back rules him out them it must also rule out ronaldinho , maradona, best, pele etc etc

2. 19 assists in 44 games Speaks for itself about delivering a final ball

3. 20 goals in 44 games from midfield yea rubbish goalscorer .

As constantly stated on this thread no one is saying he is the best ever we are sayin ghe is the best at the moment 20 goals 19 assists speaks for itself anyone that still cant see that should be banned from watching football as they are clearly clueless or just very anti EPL

Wolfie
13/04/2007, 10:15 AM
We started talking about this in the RTE Panel thread, but I didn't want to take too off topic so I decided to start this thread about whether or not Cristiano Ronaldo is the best player in the world, if he can go on to be one of the greats and if he isn't the best player in the world, then who is?

Personally I don't think has the same sort of spark that set Zidane, Maradona and Pele apart, in my mind they are the big three as far as football legends go, and I can't see Ronaldo ever breaking into that bracketing. As for if he's the best player in the world today and if not then who? Well for my money Kaka of AC Milan beats him hands down. He's got the same skills as Ronaldo, but has a better footballing head about him. I think a lot of the Ronaldo hype has a lot to do with the British media wanting the Premiership to have the best player in the world playing in that league. If Kaka were to sign for Chelsea this summer, and Ronaldo left United for (say) Real Madrid, they'd start hyping Kaka in the same way they have done Ronaldo.

He's signed 5 year contract with United.

jebus
13/04/2007, 3:16 PM
He's signed 5 year contract with United.

He's advisors are also supposed to be meeting the Real Madrid hierarchy on a weekly basis, so who knows what he'll do? personally if I was him I'd head off to La Liga, better quality of play over there, and a chance to out himself against Ronaldinho, Messi and possibly Kaka next season in a 'who's better' contest

Billy Lord
13/04/2007, 4:03 PM
Ronaldo isn't the best player at Manchester United, never mind the world. Paul Scholes is a much better player who is consistently superb but because he's a ginger-haired 'ordinary' bloke who shuns hype, he gets ignored.

micls
13/04/2007, 4:22 PM
I think Messi is a better player already and at their respective peaks Messi will be streets ahead of him. Fabregas will be a better player in the long term too IMO.

Lim till i die
15/04/2007, 3:21 PM
1.If him not tracking back rules him out them it must also rule out ronaldinho , maradona, best, pele etc etc

Their genius meant they shouldn't have to bother. It's different when your a genius ;)

2. 19 assists in 44 games Speaks for itself about delivering a final ball

Are you honestly telling me you don't find him wasteful??

3. 20 goals in 44 games from midfield yea rubbish goalscorer .

All well and good but is he the best, or even one of the best??

As constantly stated on this thread no one is saying he is the best ever we are sayin ghe is the best at the moment

I know, I can read anto

20 goals 19 assists speaks for itself anyone that still cant see that should be banned from watching football as they are clearly clueless or just very anti EPL

Oh, look, I see what you did there. That's really, really, really clever

Kildare Lad
15/04/2007, 5:22 PM
What about Steven Gerrard anyone?

He can score goals, pass superbly, tackle, attack, defend, hes shown his ability to be a great leader. Actually what cant he do?

Lim till i die
16/04/2007, 7:42 AM
What about Steven Gerrard anyone?

He can score goals, pass superbly, tackle, attack, defend, hes shown his ability to be a great leader. Actually what cant he do?

Probably the third best midfield player at Anfield at the minute

OwlsFan
16/04/2007, 9:56 AM
Ronaldo isn't the best player at Manchester United, never mind the world. Paul Scholes is a much better player who is consistently superb but because he's a ginger-haired 'ordinary' bloke who shuns hype, he gets ignored.

Are you Johnny Giles in disguise ;) ?

Lim till i die
16/04/2007, 10:45 AM
Are you Johnny Giles in disguise ;) ?

No, He's Dunphy, GET HIM!!! :eek: :p

NeilMcD
16/04/2007, 1:33 PM
WITH talk of a world-record breaking bid from Real Madrid in the summer, Cristiano Ronaldo signed a lucrative new deal with Manchester United last week. He's being crowned anything from United's greatest ever number seven, to the world's best player, to one of the true all-time greats. It seems as if nothing could go wrong for him at the moment, but it's not just the RTE panellists who aren't fully behind him.

Middlesbrough's captain George Boateng famously issued Ronaldo with a bit of advice - cut out the showboating or you'll get yourself hurt. Showboating is great to watch, but more often than not, it is done at the expense of an opponent. Given there are so many defenders out there already on the receiving end of countless step-overs, nutmegs and backheels, it's fair to say Boateng is not alone in his thinking. In fact, I know he's not.

There was one occasion last season in the Premiership when United's opponents, who shall remain nameless, clubbed together to offer a reward to the player who could kick him highest in the air. It was the players' idea, with each one contributing £100. The overall pot of a little under £2,000 was paid to the 'winner' at training the next day. I'm sure many fans would be appalled at the idea of the most skilful, entertaining players being targeted in this way. It is the old-fashioned way to deal with skilful players but, despite the tighter restrictions on the pitch, it still has its appeal.

As the season has progressed, the hype surrounding Ronaldo has seemingly peaked. He is receiving the ultimate accolade. We are now being told on an almost daily basis that Ronaldo is the greatest player we have in the world today. Alex Ferguson has said it and anyone else at the club who has been asked has agreed with him. To be fair to them all, though, if you're asked that question by reporters about your team-mate, it is very unlikely you'd respond saying you preferred Ronaldinho or anyone else.

For Patrice Evra to compare Ronaldo to Maradona, Best and Pele is a step too far in my mind

Their opinions are worth listening to because they are perhaps best placed to judge his talents, for they work with him all week. They can see how he performs in training and how hard he works in the gym. They've seen and heard all the criticism and abuse he has received at away grounds following his role in Rooney's World Cup sending-off, and more importantly they've seen his superb reaction. But for Patrice Evra to compare Ronaldo to Maradona, Best and Pele is a step too far in my mind.

He may be very entertaining to watch, but there's a side to his character which infuriates. On too many occasions we have seen Ronaldo diving and cheating his way through games. Many within the game call it professionalism, or 'showing experience', and maybe if I was still playing I'd be calling it the same. However effective it is in conning referees, though, it looks terrible and sets the lowest standards to aspiring footballers. It's disappointing that one of the few players in the Premiership with enough genuine pace and skill to beat any defender in Europe should act this way.

Whether or not he's the world's best is obviously a matter of opinion, but it's certainly not mine. Ronaldinho, Kaka, Cannavaro and Henry can all do things in ways others cannot, but the player I would pay most to watch is Wayne Rooney. There is a real work ethic there, an awesome talent and an attitude I would instil in every young player. No cheating, diving or play-acting, and a willingness to defend when the need arises. Though not at his very best right now, he is a real footballer.

As a striker, playing alongside Ronaldo would bring with it a fair amount of frustration, simply because you'd never know when to dart free from your marker in anticipation of a cross. Beckham at his peak, for example, played the position the way it should be played in my view. He took one touch, looked up, and picked out a team-mate with incredible accuracy on most occasions. Nowhere near as entertaining, but when you're on a pitch, winning is the primary objective.

We've all been impressed with his dribbling, his pace, his strength, and his overall skill levels, but Ronaldo has yet to get anywhere near the standards set by United's previous number seven when it comes to delivery. Call them right-sided midfielders or wingers, but for all their entertainment value, they should be judged solely on their output. This is an area he needs to improve on considerably before he can be compared to players of true greatness.

He is immensely talented, and at such a young age it would be safe to assume he'll get even better if he keeps his head

He is immensely talented, and at such a young age it would be safe to assume he'll get even better if he keeps his head. He will most likely be voted the PFA Player of The Year, and has been the most in-form player this season. But to crown him the world's greatest, never mind hint he belongs in the company of Best or Pele, is far too premature. He may one day prove himself to be of that calibre, but we were told the same thing about a young Ryan Giggs, and a year ago the same was being said of Wayne Rooney.

He would do well to heed the words of Boateng, an experienced pro who knows that you cannot further your career or develop as a player while sitting on the treatment table. I doubt he will, though, which makes it a lot more entertaining for us all.

richiesadlier@hotmail.com

shakermaker1982
16/04/2007, 2:02 PM
I don't even think Ronaldo dives nowadays. He was guilty of it earlier on in his Man Utd career but other than the Boro game (FA Cup game this season) I cannot recall many instances since he returned from Germany. His speed and momentum more often than not makes him tumble. He doesn't roll around like Drogba and Joe Cole, he jumps straight back up.

Yesterdays game was a disgrace, Drogba was screaming in pain - I thought he had broken his ankle but once he got to the touchline he was fine!!! He infuriates me at times.

I do hope UEFA consider sending players off for play acting and rolling around. It would be an unpopular decision but would hopefully deter players from doing it.

NeilMcD
16/04/2007, 2:16 PM
I think Boateng is more of a disgrace to be honest but something in our minds think its ok for hard men players but not ok to dive.

jebus
16/04/2007, 3:45 PM
Anyone who thinks Ronaldo doesn't dive anymore should have a chat with a Middlesboro supporter

NeilMcD
16/04/2007, 3:56 PM
Why they are seeing things through their viewpoint which is hardly impartial. Middlesbroughs comments about Ronaldo by Boateng and by Southgate were a disgrace.

DmanDmythDledge
16/04/2007, 3:58 PM
Anyone who thinks Ronaldo doesn't dive anymore should have a chat with a Middlesboro supporter
I presume you're referring to the FA Cup game, where if you are you're talking bullshít if you think he dived for the penalty.
vP7feLQp3SU

jebus
16/04/2007, 4:02 PM
Why they are seeing things through their viewpoint which is hardly impartial. Middlesbroughs comments about Ronaldo by Boateng and by Southgate were a disgrace.

Fair enough, I'm a Sheffield Wednesday supporter, we've never even played against Ronaldo, and I'll say that he's still a diving scumbag.

I presume you're referring to the FA Cup game, where if you are you're talking bullshít if you think he dived for the penalty.

I was more talking about the league game, but if you ask me Ronaldo went down pretty easily in the FA Cup too, even with watching it again

Jerry The Saint
16/04/2007, 5:18 PM
A disgraceful article which insinuates that it is ok to kick a player but not dive.

Spot-on article. In my opinion it is FAR worse to dive/feign injury/indulge in playacting to gain a free/penalty or get your oppenent cautioned/sent-off - it demeans the entire sport. Worst thing you can do on a football pitch (much worse than spitting too, despite the cliché ;) )

NeilMcD
17/04/2007, 10:57 AM
I am sure you would have not said that if Dessie Byrne had of ploughed into Joey Ndo on Friday night or Hunt pole axed Fahey with a two footer.

DmanDmythDledge
17/04/2007, 4:56 PM
but if you ask me Ronaldo went down pretty easily in the FA Cup too, even with watching it again
When you're going at that speed even the slightest contact (and that wasn't slight) will knock you over.