PDA

View Full Version : Rovers 1-0 UCD

feo123
01/04/2007, 6:38 PM
A win is a win....not the greatest performance but at the end of the day 3 points is what we wanted and we got them!
referee was poor i thought all game! brush didnt have much to do, back 4 looked ok again another clean sheet, 3rd of the season is great!
missed o'grady maybe in midfield, wasn't enough bight..hughes wasn't great, raf wasnt himself same for jay manson was best out of the 4 but wasnt special...choice showed some nice touches, no end product again though! faz worked hard, delighted for him scoring again...hopefully will boost his confidence, nice neat finish! badzjiak wasnt near as good as last week, great ball for the goal though!
3 points none the less...some muppet student thinking he was it pullin off the jersey standin up to the rovers fans, was thrown out....lightened up a dull enough game!
well done lads

feo123
01/04/2007, 6:49 PM
such a tax dodgeing b**tard,you could see that he works out:p 'we love julian' made a good first apperence along side 'gino is god'.poor enough performance,o grady and curren wont be back for bohs so turner has to start

'we love julian' is shockin but what can ya do :rolleyes:

SligoBrewer
01/04/2007, 6:57 PM
turner has to start
:D long may it continue...

the cycle home seemed like it took 2 seconds with the adrenaline pumping from the last minute goal.. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh!

bring on bohs.. we can take at least a point from it!

feo123
01/04/2007, 7:00 PM
get 5 points from the next 3 games and were cruisin

SligoBrewer
01/04/2007, 7:08 PM
3rd in the league... happy days!

leo, four more games!!!!!

four more games!!!!!!

Midgit
01/04/2007, 7:28 PM
Heard Conor O'Grady on the radio during the Match and he said how he was puzzled at the atmosphere created by the fans. He said the singing by the fans in Longford & Galway definatly was their 12th man in both these wins. But he is puzzled why we cant sing like this at home. That it really should be the other way round.
Yet he said at half time if the fans dont lift their preformance the players might not raise their game and Rovers could struggle to win the game.
He then said at full time the fans really got behind the team when it really mattered and they helped the players win the game.

What do ye think of that? I wasn't at the game but from the reports on the radio they said it was a dire first half with no atmosphere and it hugely improved in the second half, and it was a game Rovers deserved to win.

kkontour
01/04/2007, 7:31 PM
....badzjiak wasnt near as good as last week, great ball for the goal though....
Thought he was beaten by the pitch a few times, some terrible bobbles!

Midgit
01/04/2007, 7:36 PM
Ya i know!!!!!! He said Julian is a fans Favorite already!
I recognised some voices amoungst the singing as well!!!!!!
Red&WhiteRover singing Red Army was one!!!!

Red&White Rover
01/04/2007, 7:50 PM
Ya i know!!!!!! He said Julian is a fans Favorite already!
I recognised some voices amoungst the singing as well!!!!!!
Red&WhiteRover singing Red Army was one!!!!

i try my best:)...i thought we did a good job...should get a few more there for Pats game!

SligoBrewer
01/04/2007, 7:54 PM
were not gonna be allowed to sit in the blue anymore after the incident

red bellied
01/04/2007, 7:55 PM
Match report

http://www.rte.ie/sport/2007/0401/sligor.html

Midgit
01/04/2007, 7:55 PM
were not gonna be allowed to sit in the blue anymore after the incident

Of course we will!!!

SligoBrewer
01/04/2007, 7:56 PM
if theres trouble at ucd... :rolleyes:

Midgit
01/04/2007, 7:58 PM
Gavin Peers was rushed to hospital!
Suspected Ligament damage.

feo123
01/04/2007, 8:46 PM
Gavin Peers was rushed to hospital!
Suspected Ligament damage.

thought it was him in the ambulance..ragin :(
whats the story on vassas? just out of favour or not cleared yet?
heard a story today that baadzjiak had to pay 150 euro for him to be cleared to play and he asked the club to pay it but wouldn't so had to go into his own pocket!

Midgit
01/04/2007, 9:17 PM
thought it was him in the ambulance..ragin :(
whats the story on vassas? just out of favour or not cleared yet?
heard a story today that baadzjiak had to pay 150 euro for him to be cleared to play and he asked the club to pay it but wouldn't so had to go into his own pocket!

Find that hard to believe.:eek:

Fivesilver
01/04/2007, 9:31 PM
I heard a story, from a reliable source, that McDonald definitely won't be back, because he's living on the moon, married to Elvis, and they're raising emus . . . etc etc

Do we really need this stuff lads?

red arrow
01/04/2007, 9:33 PM
this was my first time to see rovers this year. i was away for the derry game and was unable to go to galway /longford. firstly i want to congratulate all the players for working so hard over the past five weeks and also leo and des bearing in mind the ongoing crisis regarding a manager. my first observtions today was that the players worked very hard for each other although the 1st half was poor i thought we played all the football in the 2nd half and ucd were trying to "spoil" the game and we got a few harsh yellow cards and some dubious off side decisions against us. i thought the defence was magnificent mckenzie and peers were excellent as were coleman /foyzer. i think peers is a really good player and i only hope that his injury is not to serious. we were not as strong i the middle but what i liked about leo is that he was'nt afraid to make changes. anytime i watched him he was always encuoraging the players. i think he is an ideal anager for this team as they are all young and he seems to have gained their respect. i thoufgt choice worked hard but the ball never broke properly for him. havving watched the polish guy i can see a lot of quality here and on a good surface he could open up a defence with his passing and his clever movement. my belief is that we have some very nice footballers who can perform on a good surface . leo has them playing in quick triangular formation when they get near the oppositions box but for this to work perfectly you need a good surface because the players movement is quick nad you need the ball to travel fast.i was delighted that faz scored and he seems to be much stronger than when he first came to us (remember he is only 23) i thougt hughesie was his usual self and cretaro is a huge asset. brush also had a very good game his handling and positional sense were excellent. all in all we have got to be very happy. also iliked the chant "polska" because it can give a player great encouragement. keep up the good work lads and try and bring as many to dayler as possible . i think it will be a cracking game and we could have a surprise or two for seanie

sligoman
01/04/2007, 9:44 PM
Worst game I've seen in a long time but you have to expect that when UCD are involved. As feo said, a win is a win and I for one think we fully deserved it. Well done to Faz, still think he's not good enough though. His goal today was like the only worthwhile thing he done.

avvenalaf
01/04/2007, 10:42 PM
'His goal today was the only worthwhile thing he done' ?????????

We won the game 1-0 and it wasn't as if it was a tap in. Give the lad a break. From what I've seen of him this season, he is well better than last year and looks as if he could have a good season.

Brutal first half today but we were away better in the second half and deserved to win the game, even though they hit the post twice. Peers a revelation at centre back though that injury looks like ligament. Mckenzie excellent and wonder how Micky mc kept him out last year. Seamus Coleman is the business. Hughes very poor today but that will have been a one off. Choice a mystery yet and if McDonald thought he was hot, it's probably best that he's gone.
Liked the look of Brush and better under crosses that O'Hara. Banana won a point for Monaghan against Harps last night.

Incidentally, informed today that this chat about the players missing McDonald is b*****ks.

Shiba
01/04/2007, 11:36 PM
Well done to Faz, still think he's not good enough though. His goal today was like the only worthwhile thing he done.

As I've said in the past I was never a fan of Faz but have to disagree with the above statement.I've been at all four games so far this season and would say that Faz has put in a huge amount of hard graft and think in them fours games been one of our better players and has contibuted two well taken goals and 6 points.

showgies
02/04/2007, 12:07 AM
As I've said in the past I was never a fan of Faz but have to disagree with the above statement.I've been at all four games so far this season and would say that Faz has put in a huge amount of hard graft and think in them fours games been one of our better players and has contibuted two well taken goals and 6 points.

Agreed. I think Faz is benefiting from confidence and a good man-management. Today, he looked the only player who was comfortable with the ball, he never panicked and yes some of his passes didn't come off, but at least he tried to play ball.

Overall I was disappointed with Hughes and Cretaro. I thought Hughes would really see this as an opportuity to cement a place in the centre midfield while O'Grady was out. Although he did improve when Turner was introduced. We looked a far better team when the subsitutes were made.

Another thing that disappointed me was the unwillingness of Coleman to raid down the right wing as he did in Longford, especially on the first half. Is this just a second half tactic?

Having said all that I am delighted with frinally beating our bogey team and well done to the singers in the Blue Stand. The away athmosphere needs to be replicated at home.

By the way, was that Graham Monaghan song a April Fool joke????

Red&White Rover
02/04/2007, 8:59 AM
what exactly was the UCD fan's problem?

DmanDmythDledge
02/04/2007, 9:26 AM
what exactly was the UCD fan's problem?
Something was said to him and he had bottles thrown at him.

kkontour
02/04/2007, 9:54 AM
Something was said to him and he had bottles thrown at him.
No he didnt!
He could'nt take the general s1ht team 1 fan chant so he, on his own, took off his shirt and was waving his arms about. Then he walked passed all the rovers fans shouting boggers!
And he wonders why the stewarts moved him along:rolleyes: .
Probably had a can of cider on the train down:D

feo123
02/04/2007, 9:56 AM
No he didnt!
He could'nt take the general s1ht team 1 fan chant so he, on his own, took off his shirt and was waving his arms about. Then he walked passed all the rovers fans shouting boggers!
And he wonders why the stewarts moved him along:rolleyes: .
Probably had a can of cider on the train down:D

no, just too much coke

pineapple stu
02/04/2007, 12:42 PM
Yep, that's it. :rolleyes:

pineapple stu
02/04/2007, 12:52 PM
Oh dear...

Seriously one of the most clueless posts ever on foot.ie, which is saying quite a lot.

All discussed in the thread in the UCD forum. Please have a read before spouting again. There's a good boy.

Poor Student
02/04/2007, 5:37 PM
Lads, that was my first time to the Showgrounds. Now that I've seen it can someone tell me exactly what improvements are going on? Are you adding in a new stand?

Da Real Rover
02/04/2007, 6:12 PM
Firstly the ucd fan was acting like a real muppet. There was some banter with both sets of fans messing with each other. Now things turned a bit bitter when the ucd fan thought he was the dogs bollax, takeing his shirt off only to reveal his man breasts to horrified kids and the elderly. When the rovers crowd started jeering him nd takeing the ****. He threw the bottle into the stand only for it to be returned to him promptly. Now all that is fact, dozens of other people witnessed this. Apart from that insident i thought the ucd 'crowd' (can 5 people be classified a crowd?) were good craic, some good auwl banter, and much fun was had. Pity bout that insident, but hey sh!t happens.

pineapple stu
02/04/2007, 6:15 PM
He threw the bottle into the stand only for it to be returned to him promptly.
Wrong. The bottle - as established previously - was thrown at him first. No-one has claimed anything to the contrary. Making things up doesn't help the rest of your argument.

Also, there were more than 5 of us. Though counting doesn't seem to be a strong point around here.

Seriously, are there any Sligo fans over 15?! This thread and the one in our forum is actually an embarrassment for your club.

DmanDmythDledge
02/04/2007, 6:17 PM
Apart from that insident i thought the ucd 'crowd' (can 5 people be classified a crowd?) were good craic, some good auwl banter, and much fun was had. Pity bout that insident, but hey sh!t happens.
Yeah pity all this has overshadowed the fact that the trip was great craic.

John83
02/04/2007, 6:21 PM
Firstly the ucd fan was acting like a real muppet. There was some banter with both sets of fans messing with each other. Now things turned a bit bitter when the ucd fan thought he was the dogs bollax, takeing his shirt off only to reveal his man breasts to horrified kids and the elderly. When the rovers crowd started jeering him nd takeing the ****. He threw the bottle into the stand only for it to be returned to him promptly. Now all that is fact, dozens of other people witnessed this.
I'm fairly sure he didn't have a bottle until one was thrown at him. Others who saw the incident (from both sets of fans) have confirmed this.

Regardless, the trouble was started by one of your own, who tested the collective intellect of the stewards when he came over to pick on Dman (who was the smallest there - I can think of no other reason to single him out). The UCD fans dealt with him without causing any more trouble, with no help from the half dozen stewards who watched this, picking their noses. I'm not especially interested in who started anything, but let's not pretend that it was all one drunk in the wrong here.

Apart from that insident i thought the ucd 'crowd' (can 5 people be classified a crowd?) were good craic, some good auwl banter, and much fun was had. Pity bout that insident, but hey sh!t happens.
You people just can't count, can you? I realise that the typical Sligo fan only has five or six fingers on a hand, but you do have two of them. :p

Yes, the incidents aside, there was a decent banter going. A couple of the kids bugging us even made a witicism or two over the 90 minutes, which was more entertainment than most of the players managed.

pineapple stu
02/04/2007, 6:24 PM
A couple of the kids bugging us even made a witicism or two over the 90 minutes, which was more entertainment than most of the players managed.
Ayyyyyyy!

Da Real Rover
02/04/2007, 6:45 PM
I'm fairly sure he didn't have a bottle until one was thrown at him. Others who saw the incident (from both sets of fans) have confirmed this.

Regardless, the trouble was started by one of your own, who tested the collective intellect of the stewards when he came over to pick on Dman (who was the smallest there - I can think of no other reason to single him out). The UCD fans dealt with him without causing any more trouble, with no help from the half dozen stewards who watched this, picking their noses. I'm not especially interested in who started anything, but let's not pretend that it was all one drunk in the wrong here.

Cant comment on that, didnt see it. I am makeing nothing up , have no reason to as it was your fan who provoked that incident, its pretty much splitting hairs at this stage. But what i want answered is did that ucd fan not throw the bottle back into the stand?? Yes or no, i can gaurantee you he did, and i saw it being throw back again. So cause he did throw it back into the stand, he loses the moral high ground, simple as.

Student Mullet
02/04/2007, 6:47 PM
So cause he did throw it back into the stand, he loses the moral high ground, simple as.Whether or not he threw the bottle, he never had the moral high ground.

Shipping out criticism isn't a zero sum game.

SligoBrewer
02/04/2007, 6:52 PM
Yes, the incidents aside, there was a decent banter going. A couple of the kids bugging us even made a witicism or two over the 90 minutes, which was more entertainment than most of the players managed.

was that ye in the shop? :D skooligans..

Da Real Rover
02/04/2007, 7:00 PM
Whether or not he threw the bottle, he never had the moral high ground.

Shipping out criticism isn't a zero sum game.

Yes but helps to vindicate my argument. You still havnt answered the only question i have asked, did he or did he not throw a bottle into the stand??

John83
02/04/2007, 7:01 PM
Not me anyway. What happened in the shop?

DmanDmythDledge
02/04/2007, 7:02 PM
I was in the shop...memory's a bit hazy though

John83
02/04/2007, 7:03 PM
Yes but helps to vindicate my argument. You still havnt answered the only question i have asked, did he or did he not throw a bottle into the stand??
Are you thick?

Wrong. The bottle - as established previously - was thrown at him first. No-one has claimed anything to the contrary. Making things up doesn't help the rest of your argument.