PDA

View Full Version : hypothetical situation (Stan's replacement)?

Pages : [1] 2

Thomo
26/03/2007, 10:32 PM
Ok, now i'm not calling for stan's head or anything, as to be honest i'd like to see him succeed as, keeping in mind he was a playing legend for us, it'd be a shame to see him tarnish that entirely by being a complete failure as manager. However, say stan was to be given the boot, i was wondering who we could possibly get to replace him. Given that the Fai appear to have chosen stan potentially as a cheap option, and perhaps to an extent because he would be a 'yes man' to an extent, and lets face it knowing the fai and the muppets who run it, this is a trend that is likely to continue, who would you hypothetically choose to replace stan?

I can't think of an obvious choice.

Roy Keane, whilst having more managerial experience than stan when he got the job, would be far too controversial and too outspoken for the fai, and given his current spat, would be unlikely in the near future, i draw a blank on whom could come in.

David o' leary has been out of work for a while now, and whilst he would probably jump at the chance, would likely be an equally awkward step backwards.

Then of course the usual names that are banded around. Dalglish? bryan Robson? Venables? et al, not obvious choices, and not a positive move forward.

so who could we get, baring in mind the Fai's limited wage budget for a manager, and obvious wish to pick a choice who wouldn't rock their own personal boats?

Any thoughts?

(again i'd like to reiterate this is NOT an anti-stan thread, i'm just curious about what people think about the situation, if hypothetically the bad press, and pressure for success caused stan to stand down, i'm curious where we would have to go from?)

danonion
26/03/2007, 10:42 PM
I don't think Staunton was necessarily a cheap option ... you should see the ****ing house he's building outside of Carlingford (we nearly ran over him when he was out running the road over Christmas one night, caught a glimpse of his house). I think the best manager we could get would be big Sam Alardyce, he is a great manager in my book, I think he also was involved with Irish football for a while in Limerick but I could be way off there. Other ones I'd not mind seeing are Aidy Bothroyd, Eriksson, a Koeman or Mickey Harte :D

PS The championship table suggests that McCarthy is still the best Irish manager in the game today - look at his position and how he had absolutely no budget nad a **** squad

The Legend
26/03/2007, 10:58 PM
Ok, now i'm not calling for stan's head or anything, as to be honest i'd like to see him succeed as, keeping in mind he was a playing legend for us, )

Really? i always thought he was a complete ****, even as a player, which makes his appointment as manager so unbearingly sickening, i cant even stand to think about it.

drinkfeckarse
27/03/2007, 7:49 AM
There's not many who will say that Staunton wasn't a great player and servant for us. I've said it before that it's not his fault he was appointed but that's not making excuses for him because he is woefully inept at putting a squad together on a consistent basis and toe curlingly cringing when dealing with the media.

I think it's fairly obvious going on recent displays and Carsleys alleged comments that he isn't the most technically astute guy either. It sounds and looks like he just picks a team and lets them get on with it.

Block G Raptor
27/03/2007, 10:06 AM
Roddy Collins and as mentor Pat Dolan .Anyone .........Anyone ......Bueller ...........Anyone
no didn't think so

blobbyblob
27/03/2007, 10:08 AM
Forget naming someone....

What qualities would you look for in an international manager?

Mark Breen
27/03/2007, 10:18 AM

Somebody who know how to manage would be a start

Dodge
27/03/2007, 10:28 AM
There's not many who will say that Staunton wasn't a great player and servant for us
Great servant? Of course. Great player? No way...

galwayhoop
27/03/2007, 10:34 AM
PS The championship table suggests that McCarthy is still the best Irish manager in the game today - look at his position and how he had absolutely no budget nad a **** squad

and how sunderland got promoted when he went there despite the fact he had to sell almost 20 first-team players to reduce their crippling wage budget following their relegation. in fact, as ironic as it is, he would have been better served not getting promoted as soon as he did because the club had no resources to buy players or pay wages and were still in damage limitation mode from the debts. in contrast to mr. keane, who is being touted as the new messiah on here, and has a fair whack of money at his disposal.

drinkfeckarse
27/03/2007, 11:17 AM

Really? I think Staunton was a good player at Liverpool during his first spell and went on to be a great player for Aston Villa during his first spell there. That's when he was in his prime.

Dodge
27/03/2007, 11:22 AM
He was an OK player the top level in England and easily good enough for international level. I'd never use the word great to describe him though.

BohsPartisan
27/03/2007, 11:57 AM
Roddy Collins and as mentor Pat Dolan .

Well at least they both have managerial experience. :)

We need someone who picks players on merit/form, not on reputation.

GavinZac
27/03/2007, 12:35 PM
Other ones I'd not mind seeing are Aidy Bothroyd, Eriksson, a Koeman or Mickey Harte :D

i'd take micky joe harte at this stage

GavinZac
27/03/2007, 12:37 PM
Roddy Collins

roddy would, somehow, get the irish international team relegated. FIFA will have no idea how it occurred but will point out he's nothing if not consistent.

Bald Student
27/03/2007, 1:49 PM
roddy would, somehow, get the irish international team relegated. FIFA will have no idea how it occurred but will point out he's nothing if not consistent.Roddy has never gotten a team relegated, FACT.

How about Paul Doolin?

Bluebeard
27/03/2007, 2:05 PM
roddy would, somehow, get the irish international team relegated. FIFA will have no idea how it occurred but will point out he's nothing if not consistent.

Roddy would walk away one game before relegation.

He would then proceed to tell us how well he did everything when he managed Bohs, and say that really, the international game is a shambles, and that he really should be managing one of the big interplanetary teams, like Saturn or Neptune, whore himself out to anyone who claims to be in contact with aliens, link himself with the mission to Mars, before finally announcing that he is the new director of football for Pluto, which, as we all (bar presumably Roddy) know is no longer classified as a planet.

craig7042
27/03/2007, 2:29 PM

100 caps makes him a top player.. He wasnt one of the greats, but he played for a long time at the top. I think footballers like that should be respected for lasting so long in the game even though they arent top top quality. It shows determination and character. Do you think he could be the one to survive this sort of situation? He's got 6 great points in the last two games when he could easily have ended up with 2..... bit of luck there at the right moments?

Kerr was berated because he was a manager who hadnt played at the top level. Staunton is berated because he played but didnt manage. You cant win...

Maybe next time we need to go for a player who has managed. But the way the media work he'll be slaughtered immediately. Name anyone...and I can predict the abuse already...

This is why we really need to be thinking of Stan improving rather than going for another man. At some point we need someone to get the luck they need and become great on the job. I know its hard to imagine Stan doing it from here but you've got to hope and give him a chance. If we scraped into the finals from this position it would incredible for the progress of the team and manager...

Stand up for the boys in Green
www.theboysingreen.blogspot.com

dynamo kerry
27/03/2007, 2:36 PM
perfectly serious - how about replacing robson with kerr?

another suggestion is I'd happily have john aldridge in place of stan

final suggestions for the day: Peter Taylor or steve coppell

cavan_fan
27/03/2007, 3:06 PM
The main criteria for international management should be experience and tactical acumen. There are 2 unusual things about being an international manager. Firstly, there is very little time to spend witht he players so you're never going to learn very much. Secondly, you cant buy players so you need to be able to pick a system suited to your players and whcih the players can fit into without too much explanation/training. Jack Charlton had both if these, which is why he was a much better international than club manager.

On that basis Terry Venables, who may be coming free, would be my choice.

RogerMilla
27/03/2007, 3:14 PM
i would take el tel like a shot , would also settle for o'leary although not a big fan , but really i want stan to succeed

Pablo
27/03/2007, 3:15 PM
I can think of many Irish managers who would be better than Staunton. Pat Fenlon, Damien Richardson, BRAIN KERR, David O'Leary, Roy Keane, Pat Dolan and the list goes on.

Knowing the FAI incompetents they'll promote Givens to continue his pimping or promote Devlin from his extremely busy Ireland B job.

Irish_Praha
27/03/2007, 5:45 PM

Some have been mentioned above but I'll go through a list and suggest a manager that fills the criteria.

1. He would probably have to be a free agent so the FAI don't have to pay any compensation.
2. He needs to have at least several years experience as a manager and a track record to show that he improves with experience.
3. Not a prerequisite, but it would help if he had some experience playing at a high level.
4. Media savvy
5. Previous job's salary similar to or lower than what the FAI can offer
6. Not an old has been who will be happy to take it as a part-time role before his pension (el Tel)
7. Able to get results with limited resources.
8. A proven motivator
9. Be able to suffer the fools at the FAI

I might have been a bit selective with the creiteria because I knew who I was going to suggest but it's Mike Newell.

He's a free agent at the moment, hasn't managed at the highest level so would probably not expect an unreasonable wage. He spent most of his career in the lower leagues but he did win a Premiership medal with Blackburn. He has five years management experience, the first season was a nightmare with Hartlepool but he learned quick and was a big success at Luton with a small squad of 20 players. He could be our Laurie Sanchez.
The only problem I would see is that he wouldn't suffer the fools at the FAI very lightly.

Drumcondra 69er
27/03/2007, 7:44 PM
Not posted here before, read the site for a while so hello to all.

John Aldridge is the obvious choice and should have been appointed last time round when it became clear we weren't going to get a world class manager. the likes of Venables and Robson are busted flushes with reputations built more by the media then anything else and it says it all about Delaney that Robson was his choice when Kerr was appointed. Aldridge did an exceptional job with **** all resources at Tranmere that he doesn't get enough credit for in keeping them at the top end of the Championship for a couple of seasons.

He also made them into an exceptional cup side regularly beating teams from the EPL culminating in a major cup final appearance that they were unlucky to lose to Martin O'Neill's Leicester. That grounding in one off cup football is ideal preperation for international management particularly with a smaller nation like ourselves. He's also very savvy with the media, anyone recall seeing him interviewed by Spanish TV in fluent Spanish during the WC 94 qualifiers after the away game when he had a perfectly good goal disallowed? Stan, bless him struggles with speaking English.

However, he is very much his own man hence why that **** Delaney wouldn't even interview him.

He achieved far more then the likes of Newell who someone mentioned on here and would consider it a huge honour to have the job.

Now, I wouldn't bracket him in the same region as Martin O'Neill but there are similarities in his passion for the game and look at what Sanchez has done for NI with a similar background. I'd be certain the players would respond to him or they'd be out on their ear.

Student Mullet
27/03/2007, 8:12 PM
However, he is very much his own man hence why that **** Delaney wouldn't even interview him.Now, that's not fair. Delaney had a lot of paperwork to do that week.

http://stigonline.com/eamon.mp3

Drumcondra 69er
28/03/2007, 9:13 AM
Now, that's not fair. Delaney had a lot of paperwork to do that week.

http://stigonline.com/eamon.mp3

Yeah, think his Mam was cutting his hair that week as well!

osarusan
28/03/2007, 12:25 PM
This is why we really need to be thinking of Stan improving rather than going for another man. At some point we need someone to get the luck they need and become great on the job. I know its hard to imagine Stan doing it from here but you've got to hope and give him a chance. If we scraped into the finals from this position it would incredible for the progress of the team and manager...

Why do we need to think of Stan improving?

Why should we wait 5 years for him to get better and luckier?

Why should we have to give him a (another) chance?

With the money he and his team are being paid, we could hire a quality manager who would turn things around much, much more quickly.

I have no doubt that Staunton will get better as he manages for longer, but I don't see why the national team should be the sacrifice which allows this to happen. As an Ireland fan I want us to qualify for all tournments consistently, and if we can't, I want it to be because the team just isnt good enough, rather than the fault of a manager who was not up to the job. You can't change the players at your disposal, but you can change the manager.

Maybe next time we need to go for a player who has managed. But the way the media work he'll be slaughtered immediately. Name anyone...and I can predict the abuse already...

Guus Hiddink. What criticism will the media heap upon him, apart from a high salary, which I would consider justified if he did what I think he would with the national side.

KevB76
28/03/2007, 12:39 PM
...I think the best manager we could get would be big Sam Alardyce, he is a great manager in my book...

Yes, I second that.

BTW he did manage Limerick, see: http://www.limerick37fc.ie/history.html

livehead1
28/03/2007, 12:57 PM
Yes, I second that.

BTW he did manage Limerick, see: http://www.limerick37fc.ie/history.html

you are completely deluded!!!! what on gods green earth leads you to believe that a manager in charge of one of the top 6 clubs in the english premiership, who are getting stronger and stronger each year (this week they have been linked with Kewell & Camera) is going to be interested in taking over a team ranked FIFTY-FIRST in the world! Who exactly do you think we are!!!

Sam Alladyce me foot.

RogerMilla
28/03/2007, 2:26 PM
agree fully livehead , there has to be a bit of realism here.

danonion
28/03/2007, 2:39 PM
I don't know if you're necessarily right on that - I see a huge incentive for a manager to want to manage Ireland. We have a good national pool compared to the countries who are ranked ahead of us by FIFA. Climbing the table with N.Ireland (aside: speaking of which, whatever happened to ealing green?) did wonders for Lawrie Sanchez's reputation. So hypothetically if things stopped going to so well for Bolton (they will, a small club is a small club) and the Ireland job was open when Sam parted company with them, he could concievably see it as a vehicle to making his reputation continental, which right now it is not.

Over the post
28/03/2007, 2:51 PM
you are completely deluded!!!! what on gods green earth leads you to believe that a manager in charge of one of the top 6 clubs in the english premiership, who are getting stronger and stronger each year (this week they have been linked with Kewell & Camera) is going to be interested in taking over a team ranked FIFTY-FIRST in the world! Who exactly do you think we are!!!

Sam Alladyce me foot.

Hardly a sign of progress :D

In fairness though, Allardyce seems ambitious as well as talented and if he did leave Bolton it would be to take over one of the bigger premiership clubs or to manage England.

Collyontour
28/03/2007, 2:56 PM
I'd say Staunton is with us now for at least another 6 months. In any case I don't think Allardyce would take over. Chris Coleman could be an option though

tetsujin1979
28/03/2007, 3:03 PM
Steve Cotteril? Did very well at Cheltenham and Stoke, before moving on to the train crash that was Sunderland (at the time) and now was doing well with Burnley until they lost Andy Gray (who was top scorer)

Drumcondra 69er
28/03/2007, 3:13 PM
The likes of even Coleman wouldn't come here in a fit, anyone reasonably secure in an EPL job would have no interest in taking iver here and dealing with that shower of imbeciles in Merrion Square.

Allardyce ffs!! Cannot believe people would actually believe he'd be remotely interested, if McLaren keeps going teh way he is at present Big Sam could well be in line for the brit job anyway.

As for Hiddink, it might happen when pigs start taking off from Dublin Airport.

We were realisticly only ever going to get someone a bit desperate and out of work or an ex player. Troussier may have been interested before Kerr got it but doubt it now. Stan is here for this campaign regardless unless he bites the bullet himself. I'd have loved him to have gone after Cyprus and Aldo to have stepped up but the czech game came quick enough for him to get over that and regardless of performances we've won every game since, doubt he'll budge for a while yet, no game for 6 months after tonight and he'll be back over in England for those 6 months so won't get the media or the feeling on the ground over here.

jebus
28/03/2007, 3:27 PM
Personally I would have gone for Ronnie Whelan last time around, and would do the same should Stan get the sack. He's unattached at the moment, has more respect with the Irish public than Staunton ever did, has managerial experience, and did a good job at Olympiakos Nicosa (sp?), should have the respect of the players given his playing career, and in general has always seemed like a man who speaks his mind, and doesn't put up with anyones crap. Perfect for this job if you ask me

Pablo
28/03/2007, 3:29 PM
I see the names Ronnie whelan and John Aldridge mentioned all over this site? Why do people think they are good enough? They have achieved nothing in management.

Why havent they worked in YEARS if they are so good??? Aldridge wasn't given the Bohs job FFS!

drinkfeckarse
28/03/2007, 3:29 PM
Excellent posts re Aldridge Drumcondra 69er. Very good points and we could do a lot worse.

drinkfeckarse
28/03/2007, 3:38 PM
IThey have achieved nothing in management.

I would say Aldridge certainly achieved success with Tranmere. I think the point you are missing is that we are unlikely to get a world class manager or a manager who has achieved what you want him to have achieved on what the FAI would be willing to pay.

The next best thing would be to look for someone who has shown that he has the right attributes and who would have the necessary hunger.

Over the post
28/03/2007, 3:43 PM
I think we're reduced to chosing between someone homegrown with little or no experience or a journeyman manager who finds himself between jobs due to a coup in the last banana republic whose national side he was managing.

GavinZac
28/03/2007, 4:06 PM
I think we're reduced to chosing between someone homegrown with little or no experience or a journeyman manager who finds himself between jobs due to a coup in the last banana republic whose national side he was managing.

or perhaps an irishman with plenty of experience managing teams with players ranging from the poor to the odd exceptional talent, an excellent understanding of more than one tactic and knowledge of irish players both in england and at home. throw in some european experience and some silverware - oh, and slightly more verbose than "just one of those things".

damien richardson is out of contract soon, you know.

Over the post
28/03/2007, 4:10 PM
or perhaps an irishman with plenty of experience managing teams with players ranging from the poor to the odd exceptional talent, an excellent understanding of more than one tactic and knowledge of irish players both in england and at home. throw in some european experience and some silverware - oh, and slightly more verbose than "just one of those things".

damien richardson is out of contract soon, you know.

Good point. I doubt the FAI would consider such a candidate sufficiently "world-class" though...

GavinZac
28/03/2007, 4:13 PM
Good point. I doubt the FAI would consider such a candidate sufficiently "world-class" though...

for fear that joe gamble would get a game and put don givens out of a job, i reckon

Thomo
28/03/2007, 4:28 PM
see this is the point i was making when i started this thread, i don't think we have much choice but to stick with stan. The alternatives are not looking good.

The only even vaguely logical choice i can see is O' leary, but even thats a step in the wrong direction. Alas, as much as i'd like to be optimistic about the situation, methinks things are only going to get worse before they get better.

eekers
28/03/2007, 4:38 PM
You wonder to yourself how we ended up with stan? And then you come on here and see people touting unemployable ex charlton era players as the next manager.

I love the reference to a lawrie sanchez type figure. what we actual need is lawrie sanchez. his contract expires at the end of the 2008 campaign, and i doubt the ifa are paying him much. although there are contact talks planned next month. Its a no brainer really.

Other candidates - O'leary should be interviewed as champions league semi finals have to count for something.

And lastly i raise the possibility of Steve Bruce - has all the irish links, decent enough manager and has had recent problems with his chairman selling players from under his nose.

Big sam allardyce would never take the wage cut, but he's never gonna get that england job or a top premiership one because of his style of play.

geysir
28/03/2007, 4:40 PM
Why havent they worked in YEARS if they are so good??? Aldridge wasn't given the Bohs job FFS!
That old non story.
Aldo never asked for the Bohs job.
In the following months, Bohemians president Felim O’Reilly received a couple of phone calls from a man with a Scouse accent and calling himself John Aldridge, who expressed an interest in the job. A couple of trips were made to the airport, but Aldridge never did show up.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/article592172.ece

GavinZac
28/03/2007, 4:54 PM
That old non story.
Aldo never asked for the Bohs job.
In the following months, Bohemians president Felim O’Reilly received a couple of phone calls from a man with a Scouse accent and calling himself John Aldridge, who expressed an interest in the job. A couple of trips were made to the airport, but Aldridge never did show up.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/article592172.ece

christ

its rogers and o'halloran again!

backstothewall
28/03/2007, 5:32 PM
Whats the rush, we have no competative fixtures until September. Just cos Stan gets the boot doen't neccessarily mean we have to appoint someone straight away.

A good manager will get the boot from somewhere by July at the latest. Let them come to us

Over the post
28/03/2007, 5:40 PM
Whats the rush, we have no competative fixtures until September. Just cos Stan gets the boot doen't neccessarily mean we have to appoint someone straight away.

A good manager will get the boot from somewhere by July at the latest. Let them come to us

That's a good one!

backstothewall
28/03/2007, 5:48 PM
Well, they might not exactly be knocking our door down, but there is no one out there right now

SkStu
10/04/2007, 11:21 PM
with Colemans sacking from Fulham today, id take him in a heart beat. Young, ambitious and kept a small london team in the Premiership. I think he should feel hard done by for being sacked and could excel in international management.