PDA

View Full Version : Irish bands who never quite made it

Pages : [1] 2

BohsPartisan
09/03/2007, 11:15 AM
I remember seeing Revelino a few times in UCD and thinking they were bloody good, yet they disapeared off the face of the earth. I hear they do weddings nowadays.
There must be loads of other Irish bands who suffered similar fates.

ifk101
09/03/2007, 11:27 AM
Problem with Revelino was they only had one top tune, "Happiness is mine". Maybe if that film, "I went down", did better than it did they could of made it.

I think the Stunning is the most obvious example of an Irish band that never quite made it.

osarusan
09/03/2007, 11:28 AM
Music forum is right above you.

I'll go for Goats dont Shave.

And Juliet Turner.

BohsPartisan
09/03/2007, 11:29 AM
Ah yeah meant to post it there. Mods please move.

Billsthoughts
09/03/2007, 11:37 AM
The Blades is the obvious one yeah?
blink?
I think I seen revelino in UCd as well(was that you in the army fatigues and beret??).....they had some good tunes alrite then they had a change of direction.......not so good tunes....

Block G Raptor
09/03/2007, 11:44 AM
I Suppose you could include Aslan in that too

ifk101
09/03/2007, 11:45 AM
I Suppose you could include Aslan in that too

And B*Witched.

cullenswood
09/03/2007, 12:34 PM
Whipping Boy, another band I saw in UCD that were quite good

Dr.Nightdub
09/03/2007, 12:41 PM
This will take some people back and it'll make some other people realise why an 80s revival is NOT a good idea. It's a database of Irish punk / new wave / powerpop / etc bands from roughly 1975 - 90 (only ones who actually recorded material):

http://www.irishrock.org/ipnw/index.html

BohsPartisan
09/03/2007, 1:43 PM
The Blades is the obvious one yeah?
blink?
I think I seen revelino in UCd as well(was that you in the army fatigues and beret??).....

Nah that would have been my Harrington Jacket and retro trainers phase.

It's a database of Irish punk / new wave / powerpop / etc bands from roughly 1975 - 90 (only ones who actually recorded material):

Theres a band on that called Cuba Dares. I work with the main guy out of that band, Ronan Stokes.

sligoman
09/03/2007, 1:48 PM
The Conway Sisters:D.

endabob1
09/03/2007, 2:07 PM
This will take some people back and it'll make some other people realise why an 80s revival is NOT a good idea. It's a database of Irish punk / new wave / powerpop / etc bands from roughly 1975 - 90 (only ones who actually recorded material):

Thats a deadly site, some great bands on there and a real memory jogger, Jesus I used to fancy Leslie Dowdall from InTuaNua something rotten
:eek:

Peadar
09/03/2007, 2:25 PM
Therapy?
My Little Funhouse

Kingdom
09/03/2007, 3:05 PM
And B*Witched.

I foight loike me da.

JJ72 never quite made it. I loved them.

tetsujin1979
09/03/2007, 3:52 PM
JJ72 never quite made it. I loved them.
Oddly enough I listened to their second album during the week for the first time in about a year, highly recommended and has improved with age.
Saw them live a good few times, even ended up at the launch party for that second album
God, Hilary was beautiful!

Lev Yashin
09/03/2007, 5:58 PM
how do we difine "made it"
i mean i would say the frames have been on the cusp for years now, and i dotn think they are ever going to be big anywhere outside ireland there was Relish aswell...they had rainbow zepher(the one west****e changed to "hey whatever")

Soper
09/03/2007, 6:11 PM
I'd say Therapy? have made it, although they've undone it since their prime.

superfrank
09/03/2007, 9:06 PM
The Thrills. What they been up to lately??

red metal
09/03/2007, 10:01 PM
The frames.Im big into the old metal but went to see the frames twice both time they were ****ing amazing!

Risteard
09/03/2007, 11:50 PM
The Frames and Aslan have clearly "made it."
I remember Blew/The Blew were tipped for great things.

pól-dcfc
10/03/2007, 2:11 AM
Melaton.

Possibly the best band I've ever seen. And they are gone now. I'll never forget that Witnness. Stumbling into a tent and seeing these boys and thinking "I wish i was them". ****ing brilliant band.

tetsujin1979
10/03/2007, 10:31 AM
I was at that too, the lead singer put the capo on his guitar 2 frets down, and when the rest of the band joined in they were all out of key!

Lionel Ritchie
10/03/2007, 12:49 PM
I would define "made it" as ...
1.being in a position after your initial wave of success that allows you to carry on making or supplementing your living as a professional writer/musician/performer. (By that standard Irish acts such as The Frames and even the utterly vile Aslan have to some degree or other "made it")

or maybe

2. Being in a position after your wave of success where you can step out of the music business altogether with enough to set yourself up doing something else or clear a mortgage. (Curiously by this second standard acts as big as Frankie Goes To Hollywood (multi-million sellers) never "made it".)

stann
10/03/2007, 9:16 PM
Agreed, I wouldn't count bands like The Frames or Aslan in this category.
My tuppence is Blink, thought they were a bit nifty in those days, mind you haven't heard any of their stuff in years and years.

gustavo
10/03/2007, 9:25 PM
Pity JJ72 are no more , as others said they showed a lot of promise , I think their debut album is one of the best debut albums i've heard

Lionel Ritchie
10/03/2007, 9:51 PM
Pity JJ72 are no more , as others said they showed a lot of promise , I think their debut album is one of the best debut albums i've heard

Are they gone though? I thought they just replaced Hilary* with some other lass.

They were on top of the pops once. By many peoples standard that constitutes "making it" despite the fact an average wedding band gets more for an appearance than an act performing on totp used get.

*Surely the sweetest sound in the entire universe is that of my balls slapping hard against Hilarys @rse.

Paddyfield
10/03/2007, 11:44 PM
The Fountainhead.

gustavo
11/03/2007, 2:15 AM
Are they gone though? I thought they just replaced Hilary* with some other lass.

They were on top of the pops once. By many peoples standard that constitutes "making it" despite the fact an average wedding band gets more for an appearance than an act performing on totp used get.

*Surely the sweetest sound in the entire universe is that of my balls slapping hard against Hilarys @rse.

I concur with the sweetest sound notion however replacing you with me but i can confirm they are no more indeed they replaced sweet Hilary for their second album

declan hide
11/03/2007, 8:28 AM
Therapy?
My Little Funhouse

My Little Funhouse supported Guns N Roses at Slane. thats "made it" in my book! \m/

highlight100
11/03/2007, 9:15 AM
Kerbdog

Soper
11/03/2007, 9:39 AM
Kerbdog seem to be very popular

Peadar
11/03/2007, 9:43 AM
My Little Funhouse supported Guns N Roses at Slane. thats "made it" in my book! \m/

That's "flash-in-the-pan" in my book.

TonyD
13/03/2007, 10:29 PM
Every time a thread on Irish Bands comes up I mention the same name, and I make no apology for doing so again, in fact it's particularly apt here, ladies and gentlemen, I give you, The Stars of Heaven. They should have been HUGE.

The Good Son
14/03/2007, 7:23 AM
Microdisney, Fatima Mansions, Five Go Down To The Sea, Stump, The Blades, Stars Of Heaven, Sharkbait, The Gorehounds, Those Handsome Devils, The Outcasts. Happy days indeed.

Magicme
14/03/2007, 10:30 AM
Gepetto.......they were on the verge when their singer went to teach in the Caribbean instead.

Lionel Ritchie
14/03/2007, 4:08 PM

My Little Funhouse were vile.

I used dub them My Little Leppard.

Still though ...they were on Geffen for a time I s'pose.

"You stuck your hand into the cookie JAAAAAAAAAAAR!!!"

Who the hell from Kilkenny has a cookie jar I ask of you?
Their lead singer maybe ...he stuck his hands in it again and again and again as I recall too.:p

Wolfie
14/03/2007, 4:16 PM
The Thrills. What they been up to lately??

Maybe they've ****ed off to California once and for all!

Marked Man
14/03/2007, 6:53 PM
Paranoid visions.

But given that they were a DIY punk ethos type band, not making it probably counts as making it for them. So I'm not sure now.

Marked Man
14/03/2007, 6:55 PM
And did the Golden Horde make it or what?

Seagull
14/03/2007, 8:20 PM

Aah, the Baby Snakes in the Underground, the Baggot, the New Inn, those warehouse parties. Frank Rynne was a rock god, it's all coming back to me...

Jamjar
14/03/2007, 8:29 PM
Microdisney, Fatima Mansions, Five Go Down To The Sea, Stump, The Blades, Stars Of Heaven, Sharkbait, The Gorehounds, Those Handsome Devils, The Outcasts. Happy days indeed.

Those Handsome Devils......excellent choice. I saw them a couple of times and bought their 3 singles (I think thats all they released). Must have a look for a tape I had with a session they did for Dave Fanning, they were one excellent band. Shark Bait, only saw them once, they were playing support at the last Blades concert.

Lionel Ritchie
14/03/2007, 8:41 PM
And did the Golden Horde make it or what?

They made a fine, fine album and that's enough for me.

Met Sammy Steiger a couple of weeks ago. Still looks about 20. The c**t! :D

stann
15/03/2007, 4:11 AM
One our northern comrades might remember - Watercress.
Excellent.

From Belfast I think, norn Iron definitely. They played once or twice a year down here in their heyday, God we used look forward to those gigs. The ex-lead singer was down doing a solo gig recently, stayed in the folks' B&B.

Magicme
15/03/2007, 11:56 AM
I rem Watercress alrite! Mad gits. The beat my ex-hubby's band in the Hotpress Bacardi Unplugged Band Comp!

Macy
15/03/2007, 12:09 PM
There'd be a lot on the list that could've done a Frames or Aslan and remained big in Ireland. The A&R men fill them with stuff about breaking the UK and when it doesn't happen they jack it in (bit like our footballers I suppose).

Whipping Boy were brilliant - Heartworm stands up as one of the great Irish albums. Unfortunately didn't catch their return gigs which were supposedly great. Will endeavour to catch the next ones if they happen, and relive memories of Longford Festivals past... :D

Lionel Ritchie
15/03/2007, 12:26 PM
One our northern comrades might remember - Watercress.
Excellent.

From Belfast I think, norn Iron definitely. They played once or twice a year down here in their heyday, God we used look forward to those gigs. The ex-lead singer was down doing a solo gig recently, stayed in the folks' B&B.

House Burning Down -class single.

Countyman
28/03/2007, 11:49 AM
Whipping Boy, A House, Emotional Fish, Ghost of an American Airman, Fat Lady Sings, Golden Horde, Something Happens, Cry Before Dawn, Engine Alley...the list from the late 80's , early nineties is endless.

Some of the above were top class e.g. Whipping Boy and some were complete muck..e.g Cry Before Dawn.

Dave Couse desrves a mention for his songwriting ability.

BohsPartisan
28/03/2007, 1:18 PM
Watercress.

That name rings a bell alright. Presumably Fanning would have been playing them at the time so thats probably where I remember it from.
Did they by any chance play at any of the Feile's?

Lionel Ritchie
30/03/2007, 11:11 AM
That name rings a bell alright. Presumably Fanning would have been playing them at the time so thats probably where I remember it from.

They'd have been a bit later than that ...'97, '98, '99

stann
30/03/2007, 1:03 PM

Sorry meant to answer this before. Lionel Ritchie is right, I think, the Feile's were later. I still have a copy of their Alligator EP at home somewhere (signed, woohoo!!) so I'll check the date tonight, but am guessing their heyday was about '91, '92?

Don't remember much airplay on Dave Fanning, but they must have been getting it. We knew about them down here from word of mouth and through their top gigs in The Vic and such and such.