PDA

View Full Version : Extratime.ie

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Gareth
02/03/2007, 3:00 PM
Hi lads, over the course of the last few weeks I have been asking people to email me if they were interested in doing reports and stats etc. Well we are due to launch a League of Ireland website in the coming weeks, and I just thought I'd give people the opportunity to register their interest before we launch. The site is called http://www.extratime.ie .

The site will cover all games in the eircom League of Ireland Premier and First divisions, allowing you to follow your team on the net every week, bringing all action to you as it happens from all the grounds. We are still looking for a few more people from certain grounds to cover stats, and if you want to help out you can mail me gareth.penrose [at] extratime [dot] ie. I hope that people will enjoy the site when it is launched.

JW.
02/03/2007, 3:02 PM
Good luck with it Gareth.

centre mid
02/03/2007, 3:04 PM
Great stuff, long over due a site like this. Good look with it.

TheBoss
02/03/2007, 3:36 PM
Good Luck with it, hope it goes well for you.

We do need more sites like this for Irish football.

Gareth
02/03/2007, 3:41 PM
Well we have lots and lots of things developing for it. We have been putting in a lot of time to get this right and that is way we don't want to rush it for a new season, we are happy to wait a few weeks. I really do hope fans find it useful, especially the exiles :)

charliesboots
02/03/2007, 3:43 PM
Well we have lots and lots of things developing for it. We have been putting in a lot of time to get this right and that is way we don't want to rush it for a new season, we are happy to wait a few weeks. I really do hope fans find it useful, especially the exiles :)

You should have been putting your time into saving Shelbourne and not going to the flicks with your gf;) :D

paul_oshea
02/03/2007, 3:44 PM
Hi lads, over the course of the last few weeks I have been asking people to email me if they were interested in doing reports and stats etc. Well we are due to launch a League of Ireland website in the coming weeks, and I just thought I'd give people the opportunity to register their interest before we launch. The site is called http://www.extratime.ie .

The site will cover all games in the eircom League of Ireland Premier and First divisions, allowing you to follow your team on the net every week, bringing all action to you as it happens from all the grounds. We are still looking for a few more people from certain grounds to cover stats, and if you want to help out you can mail me gareth.penrose [at] extratime [dot] ie. I hope that people will enjoy the site when it is launched.

fair play to you Gareth, really wish ye good luck with it and fair play to ye taking the initiative here. Start getting the website out at grounds like handing out fliers or whatever needs to be done to ensure the ordinary fan get wind of this site and it could be huge. Again fair play to ye and best of luck.

I spose the hardest part of these sites is ensuring the data is well up to date and getting in results as soon as they occur etc.

Gareth
02/03/2007, 3:46 PM
Charlieboots :) Ha - indeed.

Gareth
02/03/2007, 3:47 PM
Paul, with Shels site our major aim has always been driving content. A site can look great but with no content is useless. We hopefully will carry this on with Extratime.ie.

paul_oshea
02/03/2007, 3:58 PM
when you say our? who exactly do you mean? is this a shels run thing or an individual fans thing from each club etc?

Jerry The Saint
02/03/2007, 4:01 PM
when you say our? who exactly do you mean? is this a shels run thing or an individual fans thing from each club etc?

Maybe he was using the Royal We:confused: :p

Gareth
02/03/2007, 4:01 PM
Its not Shels. I mean my team, the extratime.ie crew.

monkey magic
02/03/2007, 4:16 PM
gareth, hope im not asking the obvious question here, but is this a labour of love or a fully fledged business venture? presumable you'd be relying on advertising revenue for the latter?? either way best of luck with it, if shels web is anything to go by it'll be excellent.

paul_oshea
02/03/2007, 4:18 PM
i think that in the short term it will be for him and "his" team to cover costs from what he said, but this could lead to further revenue potential and a proper business package. I can honestly see the FAI jumping on this if it is successful which it has all the potential to be. Again good luck.

gufcfan
02/03/2007, 4:21 PM
Good luck with that mate!

Poor Student
02/03/2007, 4:22 PM
Gareth, sounds like a fantastic venture. I wish you the best of luck.

monkey magic
02/03/2007, 4:24 PM
i think that in the short term it will be for him and "his" team to cover costs from what he said, but this could lead to further revenue potential and a proper business package. I can honestly see the FAI jumping on this if it is successful which it has all the potential to be. Again good luck.

my thoughts exactly;) and i would'nt limit that to the fai, theres plenty of other potentially interested parties - content providers and and news organisations alike.

paul_oshea
02/03/2007, 4:37 PM
great minds eh monkey :D

Gareth
02/03/2007, 4:46 PM
Thanks lads for the comments. And for registering. I really have been building up to this for seasons, so I hope my leap of faith pays off and it works out.

monkey magic
02/03/2007, 5:01 PM
great minds eh monkey :D

so true.

when ya think of it, thats probably the funniest sentence ive heard all year! ARE YOU DAFT DAVE?:D

Dodge
02/03/2007, 5:35 PM
Bookmarked

Good luck with it. PM me if you need help from pats

Gareth
02/03/2007, 5:37 PM
Dodge, cheers, I have to say Pats have been great to deal with. Gotta be the best club for their phone answer rates. We do need a Pats fan to gather simple match stats still, if you know of anyone. Very basic stuff.

Dodge
02/03/2007, 5:53 PM
Like what. I should be OK to do it

Schumi
02/03/2007, 6:40 PM
Best of luck with this Gareth, I'm sure it'll be great.

Raheny Red
02/03/2007, 7:12 PM
I really do hope fans find it useful, especially the exiles

This site will be real handy :cool: fair play ;) and don't forget about the foreign gamblers having a look in :D

Magicme
02/03/2007, 7:51 PM
Best of luck with it Gareth, good seeing you again today too!

Gareth
02/03/2007, 8:02 PM
Btw we are still looking for stats guy/gals from Athlone, Cobh, Kilkenny, Limerick 37, Longford, Shamrock Rovers, Pats, Bray, Galway and Sligo. Half the clubs. The other teams have bene covered at this point so if any budding stattos wanna get involved, fire me a mail. :D

sligored
02/03/2007, 8:17 PM
i will cover sligo if you need some one - good luck with the site

micls
02/03/2007, 10:48 PM
Great idea Gareth....Good luck with it

Gareth
02/03/2007, 10:59 PM
Cheers micls!!!

kdjaC
02/03/2007, 11:00 PM
Good luck with the site, its something lacking in the EL.

Do you have the bandwidth required to a)show live games where allowed/possible/etc: b) host online commentary? c) generally host the site to a pro level with videos.

kdjac

TheBoss
02/03/2007, 11:01 PM
What exactly is been covered during the games ?

Gareth
02/03/2007, 11:06 PM
As you'd expect we will not have the remit to be able to show footage. (I'd love to say we could but well we can't) The commentary is our main aim. We will have plenty of video and audio features however. Our bandwidth will be fine. We will also have plenty of match day activity of various kinds. And comment and much much more.

YankExile
02/03/2007, 11:45 PM
Gareth I hope this works out well. It sounds like it has awesome potential. As for the FAI, I'm not sure we want them wanting their grubby paws involved, that'd only bungle a great idea. We aren't currently too happy with the FAI, I've noticed. ;)

How much will be recorded for availabilty after the fact? Do you have any capacity for storage of the commentary and features?

Gareth
03/03/2007, 7:28 AM
Regards the FAI, we are not an official site, they will have one of those I believe, but I have to say everyone I have met from top down in the FAI have been incredibly supportive and friendly. I know people have a bad impression of them, but everyone I have dealt with have been very professional and really could not be faulted one bit. I think the changes they are rolling out for this league will enhance it greatly over the coming seasons.

But yes Yank, we will have archives. We have have capacity

RonnieB
03/03/2007, 11:03 AM
Best of luck with this Gareth, did anyone from longford make an offer of help?

Gareth
03/03/2007, 11:37 AM
Still looking for a stats man from Longford RonnieB!!

BohDiddley
03/03/2007, 11:48 AM
Registered.
Good luck with it Gareth. And kudos for all the effort you've put in.

passerrby
03/03/2007, 12:42 PM
great ideaqq.. best of luck

Gareth
03/03/2007, 10:05 PM
I must say, amazing response to date!! Cheers lads

Martinho II
04/03/2007, 12:53 PM
best of luck with it garreth didnt realise you were at the press launch on friday! must have just missed you!

very handy for esp people who are abroad on hols or moved full time!

Gareth
04/03/2007, 1:21 PM
Yeah I was standing beside Alan Matthews and Mick Neville at the opening, and then I was in a room at the back with a camera after that.

Longfordian
04/03/2007, 1:33 PM
Yeah I was standing beside Alan Matthews and Mick Neville at the opening, and then I was in a room at the back with a camera after that.

:eek: Didnt know the lads went in for that!

Gareth
04/03/2007, 1:34 PM
:) Horses for courses.

Do I know you btw Martinho II :)

Martinho II
04/03/2007, 1:52 PM
no gareth!

just that I was speakin to Magicme at the launch and she said on this forum that you were at it! i always have great time for fellow foot.ie contributors!

btw you couldnt miss magicme- I saw her standin with two young girls in mons jersies- went up and asked her u not magicme by any chance?:)

Gareth
04/03/2007, 2:25 PM
I have met her before and I was chatting to her at the Launch. Did she sell you a club lotto ticket :)

Martinho II
04/03/2007, 2:37 PM
nope! :)

Magicme
04/03/2007, 6:32 PM
Dammit never thought of it and had loads of them in my bag!!!

Slippin up I am!

Forgot to point Gareth out to u Martinho but didnt get a chance to talk to him til the end myself. Some of us were working you know and not there just coz we did an ad! :D

town73
04/03/2007, 6:35 PM
Might I suggest a WAP site equivalent so that fans at the various grounds can keep up to date. Sent you a PM on Longford.

JW.
04/03/2007, 7:08 PM
A text-messaging/Wap service would be a great idea and a nice potential earner in terms of the prevailing O2/Vodafone vacuum of eL stuff.