PDA

View Full Version : Falkirk after Quigley and Gamble

Pages : [1] 2

Poor Student
03/12/2006, 1:01 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/f/falkirk/6203020.stm

Not sure where they're going to come up with the money. Practically all SPL clubs are restricted to spending next to nothing on transfer fees like eL clubs. I wonder is it the B international or what has alerted Falkirk to eL players.

sligoman
03/12/2006, 1:08 PM
Quigley's no loss to the league in my opinion.

DmanDmythDledge
03/12/2006, 1:11 PM
The success that Kevin Doyle has achieved at Reading I think is a major reason for more cross-channel clubs being interested in Eircom League players. The B international could have made Falkirk aware of Gamble as it had some sort of media attention over there because Scotland were the opposition. Quigley was probably noticed in U-21 games.

Quigley's no loss to the league in my opinion.
Still feeling bitter after all these months?

sligoman
03/12/2006, 1:19 PM
Still feeling bitter after all these months?Nothing to do with our results against ye. Quigley is a cheat, glad to see him go.

DmanDmythDledge
03/12/2006, 1:24 PM
Quigley is a cheat, glad to see him go.
If you want to let one game overshadow his goalkeeping abilities fair enough.

micls
03/12/2006, 1:41 PM
**** off :mad:

A face
03/12/2006, 2:54 PM
**** off :mad:

Or pay lots of money, thats what happens in every other league.

Moving to the SPL (barr top two) is not a step up, there would want to be a serious offer.

DmanDmythDledge
03/12/2006, 8:15 PM
Moving to the SPL (barr top two) is not a step up,
And if you take the top 2 away from our league you're left with...

The SPL is ahead of the Eircom League in every department.

dancinpants
03/12/2006, 8:22 PM
And if you take the top 2 away from our league you're left with...

The SPL is ahead of the Eircom League in every department.

Cork and Drogheda? :confused: Whats wrong with that? Shels and Derry didn't exactly run away with it either. Ye could probably throw Bohs into the mix next year too. EL has far more depth of quality.

DmanDmythDledge
03/12/2006, 8:26 PM
Cork and Drogheda? :confused: Whats wrong with that? Shels and Derry didn't exactly run away with it either. Ye could probably throw Bohs into the mix next year too. EL has far more depth of quality.
Well then throw Cork and Drogheda in there too.

The SPL has more depth in quality. To me it's blantantly obvious.

BohsFans
03/12/2006, 8:39 PM
In fairness to UCD they're a feeder club.

Can't afford to offer players full time contracts, so their best players leave at the end of their contracts.

pete
03/12/2006, 9:54 PM
Falkrik cannot afford Joe Gamble. Our Chairman has already slapped 300k sterling price tag on Roy O'Donovan & cannot see Gamble being sold for anything less than that. The Falkrik manager was at the recent B International & dispite playing out of position on the right side of midfield Gamble was unlucky not to be awarded man of the match.

BrayUnknowns
04/12/2006, 8:31 AM

Can't afford to offer players full time contracts, so their best players leave at the end of their contracts.

It must be real embarressing then to see a feeder club finish well ahead of a supposedly big club ! Just remember, Bohs have been in such financial trouble over the past number of seasons they have had to slash there wages and the number of full time contracts they handed out

bennocelt
04/12/2006, 8:40 AM
Falkrik cannot afford Joe Gamble. Our Chairman has already slapped 300k sterling price tag on Roy O'Donovan & cannot see Gamble being sold for anything less than that. The Falkrik manager was at the recent B International & dispite playing out of position on the right side of midfield Gamble was unlucky not to be awarded man of the match.

300,00 for gamble, ha thats funny:eek:

drinkfeckarse
04/12/2006, 11:02 AM
Falkrik cannot afford Joe Gamble.

Very true.

drinkfeckarse
04/12/2006, 11:09 AM
300,00 for gamble, ha thats funny:eek:

Lets be honest here, the guy is quite obviously a decent player to have played well in a B International as well as having been called into a senior squad. He has also won the PFA Player of the Year award last season.

So what exactly is funny about wanting £300k?? If he was playing in the Championship (where I'd imagine he'd be fairly comfortable) his team would be looking for £1m+.

It's high time the EL put realistic price tags on their players and stop being bullied by foreign clubs who take their players on the cheap.

That's why I was delighted to read about Brian Lennox refusing Wolves permission to take O' Donovan on loan. Those days should be gone.

Ceirtlis
04/12/2006, 11:50 AM
Well if Cork are going to look for £300,000 he will be staying at Cork City simple as that. Not many teams in the championship are prepared to pay that for anything other than tried and tested players never mind lower spl and the lower leagues in England.

mcgonigle
04/12/2006, 11:58 AM
Cork are damn right to slap a decent price on gamble, for too long have british clubs been snapping up our young talent for peanuts, Doyle is an obvious example, another club would have to pay about 6million to get him now

BohsFans
04/12/2006, 12:18 PM
It must be real embarressing then to see a feeder club finish well ahead of a supposedly big club ! Just remember, Bohs have been in such financial trouble over the past number of seasons they have had to slash there wages and the number of full time contracts they handed out

and it must be even more embrassing to finish BELOW us, who finished below them, eh? :rolleyes:

I don't really care to be honest, the spoofer wrote off last season.:mad:

pineapple stu
04/12/2006, 12:28 PM

I'd rather be a feeder club to England than a feeder club to the eL, to be honest. At least this way, we'll be able to attract better quality players to the club in the knowledge that their hopes of a full time career, complete with international appearances, isn't over once they come back to Ireland.

The one issue which I don't think anyone's been able to clarify yet though - if a player (u-23 and with a club for two years) moves abroad when his contract expires, is his old club due compensation? I have a nasty feeling Derry tried to get a few players on the free because of this ruling a couple of years ago. Anyone confirm?

BohsFans
04/12/2006, 12:34 PM
At least this way, we'll be able to attract better quality players to the club in the knowledge that their hopes of a full time career, complete with international appearances, isn't over once they come back to Ireland.

How many have gone on to be internationals, played in the big leagues etc?

BrayUnknowns
04/12/2006, 12:39 PM
and it must be even more embrassing to finish BELOW us, who finished below them, eh? :rolleyes:

I don't really care to be honest, the spoofer wrote off last season.:mad:

Now that's just sad, boasting about finishing just above one of the worst Bray sides of all time :p Oh how the mighty have fallen

pineapple stu
04/12/2006, 12:42 PM
Depends on what you count as the big leagues obviously.

Kevin Doyle - Premiership and international.
Shane Long - Premiership
Daryl Murphy - regular in Division One and has been in the international squad I think.
Hoolahan - from what I've heard, he's doing very well at Blackpool and could well be a target for a Division One team.

In recent times as well, you've had Kevin Grogan (Division One), Michael Reddy (Premiership; international call-up) and Dean Delaney (was that his name? Signed from Cork for Leicester, then in the Premiership) and probably one or two others. Pat Kavanagh and Gary Dicker are also on trial at Division One and Two clubs at present. Others such as Richie Foran and Noel Hunt are doing well in the SPL (or were the last time I checked; don't keep that close an eye).

Not a huge amount, but then there aren't a huge amount of these transfers, and it's still better than the usual view of the eL as a place for people who have failed in England for injury/attitude reasons (e.g. Liam George/Paul Byrne) and who have absolutely no future as a professional football.

I'd rather keep the players, obviously, but this sort of interest does represent a step up for the league. And, touch wood, it'll represent an investment in the league as well if transfer fees start to come in.

BohsFans
04/12/2006, 12:55 PM
Depends on what you count as the big leagues obviously.

Kevin Doyle - Premiership and international.
Shane Long - Premiership
Daryl Murphy - regular in Division One and has been in the international squad I think.
Hoolahan - from what I've heard, he's doing very well at Blackpool and could well be a target for a Division One team.

In recent times as well, you've had Kevin Grogan (Division One), Michael Reddy (Premiership; international call-up) and Dean Delaney (was that his name? Signed from Cork for Leicester, then in the Premiership) and probably one or two others. Pat Kavanagh and Gary Dicker are also on trial at Division One and Two clubs at present. Others such as Richie Foran and Noel Hunt are doing well in the SPL (or were the last time I checked; don't keep that close an eye).

Not a huge amount, but then there aren't a huge amount of these transfers, and it's still better than the usual view of the eL as a place for people who have failed in England for injury/attitude reasons (e.g. Liam George/Paul Byrne) and who have absolutely no future as a professional football.

I'd rather keep the players, obviously, but this sort of interest does represent a step up for the league. And, touch wood, it'll represent an investment in the league as well if transfer fees start to come in.

What!?!

I was talking about UCD.

BohsFans
04/12/2006, 12:56 PM
Now that's just sad, boasting about finishing just above one of the worst Bray sides of all time :p Oh how the mighty have fallen

Who's boastin? I'm not anyway!

pineapple stu
04/12/2006, 12:58 PM
Well, I mentioned Kevin Grogan, Gary Dicker and Pat Kavanagh. Darren Quigley obviously. Clive Delaney went over to England and was unlucky not to win a contract. Kevin Moran, Joe Hanrahan and Ken O'Doherty in times past of course. :) Quigley has a B cap; Quigley and Dicker have 11 U-21 caps between them I think.

There's not been a huge amount in recent years. But then, with three going over this year, that's a definition of improvement. Which is what I was pointing out. If three players suddenly go from UCD to England, it raises the club's profile.

BohsFans
04/12/2006, 1:04 PM
There's not been a huge amount in recent years. But then, with three going over this year, that's a definition of improvement. Which is what I was pointing out. If three players suddenly go from UCD to England, it raises the club's profile.

I'm not subscribber to that. Plenty of el players go on trial in England every season but none of them ever seem to get signed.
Delaney is a prime example.

The likes of Murphy, Doyle, Long and Hoolihan went over without doing trials first (as far as I know).

ifk101
04/12/2006, 1:34 PM
If three players suddenly go from UCD to England, it raises the club's profile.

So are you saying that UCD is a place of rehab for down-on-their luck, rejected British league players to get their cross-channel careers back on track?

pete
04/12/2006, 2:07 PM
While the B international wasn't a great game Gamble looked at ease. Certainly made me wonder how the likes of Potter, McPhail & Gibson rated & confounded how Alan O'Brien a senior irish international.

Its typical of some peoples attitude that CCFC get criticised for allowing Doyle leave for some money but when put reasonable valuation on their players also get criticised.

The number of eL players to "make it" in the UK in recent years is certainly higher than those that have not made it. What does it say about the UK coaching & talent spotting system that can allow players to leave & less than 2 years later want them back...

If Gamble wants to move to the UK Falkirk would be a bad move & he'd want to hold out for at least the Championship.

pineapple stu
04/12/2006, 2:32 PM
So are you saying that UCD is a place of rehab for down-on-their luck, rejected British league players to get their cross-channel careers back on track?
That's actually the complete opposite of what I'm saying, but hey, don't let that stop you.

For a start, Gary Dicker and Pat Kavanagh - and Clive Delaney and Joe Hanrahan and Kevin Moran before them - have never been with an English team. They stayed in Ireland, got an education, graced the league for varying spells and are now looking to take the next step. Better the league gets the services of these players for a few years than have them waste in English clubs' youth set ups.

Secondly, the kind of player the eL should be looking to bring back from England is not a rejected, down on your luck player. In Darren Quigley's case, he returned because of homesickness, for example. Kevin Grogan came to Ireland as Man Utd felt the part-time training would assist his injury. We should be looking to see no Irish player playing in Division Three or lower, for example.

We'll take rejected, down on your luck players if they're good enough, obviously. But the situation is far from one where the eL is a rehab for such players.

I'm not subscribber to that. Plenty of el players go on trial in England every season but none of them ever seem to get signed.
Name me a few. Zayed is about all I recall from last year. And whether they took trials first is irrelevant. We're (a) assuming the players concerned will sign and (b) are looking at players who do sign.

In addition, there's no need to focus purely on UCD players who go over. If the eL is getting greater exposure in England and Scotland, then players are going to be more likely to return to the league, or stay in Ireland and make their senior breakthrough there instead. A rising tide lifts all boats and all that, so all clubs - including UCD - should benefit from the better pool of players willing to play in the league.

BohsFans
04/12/2006, 2:48 PM
Name me a few. Zayed is about all I recall from last year.

Des Byrne
Stephen Ward
John Paul Kelly

off the top of my head.

Poor Student
04/12/2006, 6:23 PM
I thought JP Kelly came home due to homesickness. Was he not one of the higher rated youngsters at Liverpool?:confused:

pineapple stu
04/12/2006, 6:36 PM
I think we're getting dragged completely off the point here, to be honest.

If English clubs continue to sign (not take on trial, but sign) the top players in the eL for proper money, then that is actually a step up from where we were before. Players will be more inclined to either stay in Ireland, make their debut with an eL club and hope to head across the water that way (e.g. Kevin Doyle) or come back to Ireland to reasses and rebuild their career, and get an education at the same time (e.g. the route Darren Quigley looks likely to be taking).

This will affect all clubs in the league to varying degrees, being all in this league which is being looked at in a better light.

Raheny Red
04/12/2006, 6:59 PM
I thought JP Kelly came home due to homesickness. Was he not one of the higher rated youngsters at Liverpool?:confused:

Yeah he was also the captain there as well afaik and I heard a couple of times (don't know if this is true or not) that he was actually bullied during his time there.

Ceirtlis
04/12/2006, 8:06 PM
Of the ex-eircom league players playing in the SPL that i can think of all are just average players and remember these were star players in their teams in Ireland before leaving. I was speaking to a Motherwell fan who said that Richie Foran was just about alrite. He scores alot of penalties and plays on the wing. Noel Hunt didnt do that well with Dunfermline and transfered to Dundee United for less then what was paid to Shamrock Rovers for him. Gary Dempsey has probably done the best and holds down a starting posititon in central midfield with Aberdeen. Richie Byrne has been ****e whenever i have seen him playing on Setanta.

BohsFans
04/12/2006, 10:41 PM

yeah but it doesn't mean he didn't have a trial with pompy or Fulham earlier this year!

Sheridan
04/12/2006, 10:52 PM
Of the ex-eircom league players playing in the SPL that i can think of all are just average players and remember these were star players in their teams in Ireland before leaving. I was speaking to a Motherwell fan who said that Richie Foran was just about alrite. He scores alot of penalties and plays on the wing. Noel Hunt didnt do that well with Dunfermline and transfered to Dundee United for less then what was paid to Shamrock Rovers for him. Gary Dempsey has probably done the best and holds down a starting posititon in central midfield with Aberdeen. Richie Byrne has been ****e whenever i have seen him playing on Setanta.
What the f*ck are you on? None of those players were "stars" in the eL. Ritchie Foran was known for being infamous but that's about it.

A face
04/12/2006, 11:00 PM
Oh how the mighty have fallen

Bray were never mighty ..... i know theres time yet but in all fairness :p

bennocelt
05/12/2006, 10:34 AM
Lets be honest here, the guy is quite obviously a decent player to have played well in a B International as well as having been called into a senior squad. He has also won the PFA Player of the Year award last season.

So what exactly is funny about wanting £300k?? If he was playing in the Championship (where I'd imagine he'd be fairly comfortable) his team would be looking for £1m+.

It's high time the EL put realistic price tags on their players and stop being bullied by foreign clubs who take their players on the cheap.

That's why I was delighted to read about Brian Lennox refusing Wolves permission to take O' Donovan on loan. Those days should be gone.

cause i honestly dont think he is worth it, thats why
i have seen him a few times, he might find it difficult to make the grade in england, cork city have better players than him

bigmac
05/12/2006, 11:14 AM
The one issue which I don't think anyone's been able to clarify yet though - if a player (u-23 and with a club for two years) moves abroad when his contract expires, is his old club due compensation? I have a nasty feeling Derry tried to get a few players on the free because of this ruling a couple of years ago. Anyone confirm?

Wasn't there something about Derry trying to get a Bosman transfer from within the EL as well? Have some hazy recollection of Joe Harkin leaving Waterford like that.

Tenderloins
05/12/2006, 1:15 PM
Joe Gambles first spell in England after leaving Cork City could hardly have been deemed a success.

gustavo
05/12/2006, 1:17 PM
I dont see how that is relevant ?

pete
08/12/2006, 1:13 PM
Joe Gambles first spell in England after leaving Cork City could hardly have been deemed a success.

Maybe Reading were too stupid to spot & develop talent?

CollegeTillIDie
09/12/2006, 6:44 AM
A point was made earlier about the SPL v the EL.

The SPL has better facilities and more money than the EL no disputing that.
However I would contend that without Celtic, Rangers, Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen, the rest of the teams would be within range for ANY Premier Division club in the EL . I feel any EL Premier team could beat the dross from that League on any given day. Derry for example could take Dunfermline, in spite of the inside knowledge of the Pars coach.

ColinR
09/12/2006, 8:40 AM
The SPL has better facilities and more money than the EL no disputing that.
However I would contend that without Celtic, Rangers, Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen, the rest of the teams would be within range for ANY Premier Division club in the EL . I feel any EL Premier team could beat the dross from that League on any given day. Derry for example could take Dunfermline, in spite of the inside knowledge of the Pars coach.

aside from the fact that you have taken out almost half of the premier division there (5/12) , why did you take the second place irish side and the bottom placed scottish side? why not compare a more like for like

any eL premier division club??? why not say waterford would take falkirk (they wouldn't), bray would take motherwell (they wouldn't), or ucd would take kilmarnock (they wouldn't).

the argument is as stupid as the one i hear in scotland that outside the top four in england the spl is just as good because celtic would easily beat charlton.

CollegeTillIDie
09/12/2006, 9:04 AM
Colin

The English Premiership outside the Champions League sides is muck, indisputable. Celtic probably would beat Charlton... at home. Rangers would probably give most of the non CL Premiership sides a hiding too... at home.
I would imagine that many of the top 5 sides I have excluded would.
I omitted them because, they are the wealthiest clubs in Scotland and have over the past century and a bit dominated the Rolls of Honour there. Some of the lesser clubs have enjoyed better times include Dundee United , who on present form are scheidt.

And I do believe Waterford would not necessarily lose to Falkirk... all the time.

UCD played Kilmarnock, in a pre-season friendly, about 10 years ago and it was a very tight game . As far as I can recall we lost by the odd goal in three. We I imagine would be stronger than we were then. Kilmarnock had a Yugoslav international goalkeeper playing for them that day.. Dragoje Lekovic.

BrayUnknowns
09/12/2006, 2:03 PM
Anyway, bck to the point of the thread about Falkirk being interested in Quigley ! he was over there all last week, loved it and if offered a contract will sign for them.

pineapple stu
10/12/2006, 12:13 PM
Source?

Poor Student
10/12/2006, 3:37 PM
Source?

It was in the Star yesterday. Said he's had 2 day trials at Fulham, West Ham, Stockport and Falkirk. Said he got the best vibe off Falkirk and felt unlike sitting behind Green at West Ham he can seize the No. 1 spot at Broadwood.

Schumi
10/12/2006, 8:36 PM
Sunday Times (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2093-2496399,00.html) today.

Quigley poised to net Falkirk deal

UCD goalkeeper Darren Quigley looks set to sign for Falkirk after impressing in a trial there last week.

‘Darren has done very well this week,’ Falkirk manager John Hughes said. ‘I’d have to see him in a game situation but he has settled in and looks the part.’