PDA

View Full Version : Poles to buy Limerick?

JC_GUFC
14/11/2006, 2:12 PM
http://www.rte.ie/aertel/p224.htm

Probably would be good for the club as very few people in Limerick seem to have any interest in a football club. Maybe they'll become the Hearts of the eircom League!

Ronnie
14/11/2006, 2:21 PM
This would be a stroke alright. How many Poles in Limerick? Possibility of getting their own club in a city with access to a senior league.

jebus
14/11/2006, 2:28 PM
It would be good for the Poles in the city, but to be honest if this goes through I think a lot of the Limerick FC fans that are already there will be gone, especially if they change our colours and our name. Rather than be the new Hearts we'll be the new MK Dons

gspain
14/11/2006, 2:43 PM
It would be good for the Poles in the city, but to be honest if this goes through I think a lot of the Limerick FC fans that are already there will be gone, especially if they change our colours and our name. Rather than be the new Hearts we'll be the new MK Dons

We didn't leave the alst time we had our colours changed and the name changed. Terrible situation though.

It wouldn't be my first choice but given the recent press I'd rather have that than no team at all.

jebus
14/11/2006, 2:50 PM
We didn't leave the alst time we had our colours changed and the name changed. Terrible situation though.

It wouldn't be my first choice but given the recent press I'd rather have that than no team at all.

Honestly at least that time the club was re-marketed for the same fans. This time it will be marketed for a whole different bunch of supporters, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a Polish/English hybrid of a name put on the club, as well as the club colours being changed to red and white, which to me would mean that a completely different club are representing Limerick City in the Eircom League to the one I support now

dcfcsteve
14/11/2006, 2:52 PM

Why are you assuming or suggesting they'd want to make any such changes, and why are you suggesting that fans would desert the club just because it fell under foreign ownership ?? :confused: Are Limerick people really that narrow-minded ??

The Poles would be buying the club as a business venture - not as a plaything of the Polish community. Doesn't matter how many Poles there are in Limerick - there's tens of thousands more non-Poles, and any sensible business would recognise that.

Also - if any name change was to happen, I don't see how you could have a genuine problem with it, so long as 'Limerick' was kept in it. Wasn't so long ago you guys were Limerick City, and before that Limerick United, and I doubt you lost all your fans each time those name changes took place. With only one senior club in Limerick, any business would be absolutely crazy to drop the Limerick name, and I'm sure they'd know that. And surely any Irish or other non-Irish consortium would be just as capable of the changes you mention - so to be honest your fear smacks a little of zenophobia : 'Those bloody Poles will want to change everything their way!'.

And to be brutally honest - even if they did make major and sweeping changes, it's not as if there's a big fan base there to alienate. The very limited support Limerick has at the moment could easily be used as justification to say the current approach isn't working so change needs to be made.

As for the MK Dons comparison - only if you dropped all reference to Limerick, changed colours, moved to Clare and called yourself 'Ennis' would that be an accurate comparison. Changes whilst staying put in Limerick would make you Dublin City...! :eek:

Any form of investment in our league is to be welcomed. We can't afford to be snooty or zenophobic about it.

jebus
14/11/2006, 2:58 PM
Why are you assuming or suggesting they'd want to make any such changes, and why are you suggesting that fans would desert the club just because it fell under foreign ownership ?? :confused: Are Limerick people really that narrow-minded ??

The Poles would be buying the club as a business venture - not as a plaything of the Polish community. Doesn't matter how many Poles there are in Limerick - there's tens of thousands more non-Poles, and any sensible business would recognise that.

Also - if any name change was to happen, I don't see how you could have a genuine problem with it, so long as 'Limerick' was kept in it. Wasn't so long ago you guys were Limerick City, and before that Limerick United, and I doubt you lost all your fans each time those name changes took place. With only one senior club in Limerick, any business would be absolutely crazy to drop the Limerick name, and I'm sure they'd know that. And surely any Irish or other non-Irish consortium would be just as capable of the changes you mention - so to be honest your fear smacks a little of zenophobia : 'Those bloody Poles will want to change everything their way!'.

And to be brutally honest - even if they did make major and sweeping changes, it's not as if there's a big fan base there to alienate. The very limited support Limerick has at the moment could easily be used as justification to say the current approach isn't working so change needs to be made.

As for the MK Dons comparison - only if you dropped all reference to Limerick, changed colours, moved to Clare and called yourself 'Ennis' would that be an accurate comparison. Changes whilst staying put in Limerick would make you Dublin City...! :eek:

Any form of investment in our league is to be welcomed. We can't afford to be snooty or zenophobic about it.

Right first suggestion is to take some pills and calm yourself down, and the second suggestion is to go away and read the article before wading in like that.

If you had done that you would see our chairman Danny Drew stating that the new owners would likely be changing the club name and colours, and would be targeting the Polish community. You see how I made that leap of faith then?

As for the fans deserting, I never said they would, I said I would desert them, so again I bring up the 'will you just read before you type' suggestion.

and I don't think I'm being zenophobic, in fact I did say that it makes sense for a Polish consortium to look at getting a team in an Eircom League, whilst never once saying 'those bloody Poles, taking our jobs and our clubs' as someone with a racial problem with them would. Nope I just said, I don't think it will be the same club if you change the teams name and colours and target a different set of fans

sonofstan
14/11/2006, 3:01 PM
When i saw the thread title for a brief second I imagined them buying the whole city ...... to remind them of the Poland of the '80s they grew up in?

NY Hoop
14/11/2006, 3:05 PM
Here we go:eek:

Expect thesis' :p

KOH

Student Mullet
14/11/2006, 3:05 PM
where in the Aertel statement does it mention anything about these types of changes ?It says it in the main RTE report. It quotes Drew as saying:

It could mean that Limerick FC will lose its name and its colours, which is a shame, but these people are very serious about becoming involved in the eircom League.

jebus
14/11/2006, 3:08 PM
once again, will you go away and read the bloody article and not aertal for christ's sake

jebus
14/11/2006, 3:09 PM
oh and take down your post calling me a racist and I'll gladly remove my one calling you a ****ing ****** as well

dcfcsteve
14/11/2006, 3:10 PM
Alright all rules here aside, go **** yourself for calling me racist when you haven't even bothered reading our chairman's press release you ****ing imbecile. Zero evidence is what you have you ****** and I apologise to the mod of this forum and dahamsta for breaking the 'attack the post not the poster' rule but **** that when someone so ignorant tries to paint you as a racist. read the ****ing press release you tit and not what aertal says

OK Jebus - my profound apologies.

The only thing I've seen on this was the Aertel article posted above, and that is the only reference to the story anywhere made on this thread until Student Mullett pointed out that there was another article elsewhere n the main RTE site.

I take back everything I said, and apologise unreservedly. My mistake.

:ball:

dcfcsteve
14/11/2006, 3:11 PM
oh and take down your post calling me a racist and I'll gladly remove my one calling you a ****ing ****** as well

Will take it down now. You can leave your's up if you want, as was my mistake anyway.

jebus
14/11/2006, 3:13 PM
Will take it down now. You can leave your's up if you want, as was my mistake anyway.

I'll take it down, an apology solves a lot in my book

dcfcsteve
14/11/2006, 3:18 PM
Here we go

Expect thesis' :p

KOH

Not all of us have a problem admitting when we get something wrong NYH..... :D :p

osarusan
14/11/2006, 3:23 PM
"Limerickski"

"Legia Limerick"

"Solidarity FC"

NY Hoop
14/11/2006, 3:33 PM
Not all of us have a problem admitting when we get something wrong NYH..... :D :p

I actually fell off my chair when you admitted you were wrong. What next? The FAI admitting they have fcuked up the league.

KOH

osarusan
14/11/2006, 3:36 PM
how about Polska Stabski FC

Was wondering who would be enough of a WUM to say that. It turned out to be you.

dcfcsteve
14/11/2006, 3:40 PM
I actually fell off my chair when you admitted you were wrong. What next? The FAI admitting they have fcuked up the league.

KOH

I happily admit when I'm wrong NYH, and can PM you a few other instances from recently on this site if you'd like.

If more people followed the same approach, perhaps you wouldn't have the grudge you have against me ever since I pointed out where you'd got something totally wrong on that whole Wimbledon comparison thread....? :D

NY Hoop
14/11/2006, 4:06 PM
I happily admit when I'm wrong NYH, and can PM you a few other instances from recently on this site if you'd like.

If more people followed the same approach, perhaps you wouldn't have the grudge you have against me ever since I pointed out where you'd got something totally wrong on that whole Wimbledon comparison thread....? :D

The fact that you keep record of your mistakes is troubling! Dont flatter yourself. Grudge against you? You have got to be joking.

Wimbledon? Thanks for bringing that up again. I can see the comparisons between Rovers and wimbledon alright:rolleyes:

KOH

Red&White
14/11/2006, 4:53 PM
The fact that you keep record of your mistakes is troubling! Dont flatter yourself. Grudge against you? You have got to be joking.

Wimbledon? Thanks for bringing that up again. I can see the comparisons between Rovers and wimbledon alright:rolleyes:

KOH

*Switches off laptop, begins rocking back and forth in the corner*

JC_GUFC
14/11/2006, 5:02 PM

KOH

Style of football and fanbase are the 2 that immediately spring to mind, what were you thinking of?

Is there some rule that I'm unaware of that every thread on this forum descends into utter ****e?!

wws
14/11/2006, 5:05 PM
yeah just as you enter the thread.....

passerrby
14/11/2006, 5:06 PM
"osarasan" sounds polish

Gerrit
14/11/2006, 6:22 PM
"Legia Limerick"

:D

I'd follow DCFCsteve's opinion. Every investment that doesn't completely alienate fans from their teams, should be encouraged. Even if a few accents change, the team will remain in Limerick and carrying the city name, not? Guess this always beats seeing the team folded. That is, if their interest is indeed concrete.

4tothefloor
14/11/2006, 7:45 PM
That is, if their interest is indeed concrete.
In other news, a Jewish consortium is interested in taking over Lazio......I can smell it from here :rolleyes:

osarusan
15/11/2006, 2:44 AM
"osarasan" sounds polish

Japanese.

NY Hoop
15/11/2006, 9:13 AM
Style of football and fanbase are the 2 that immediately spring to mind, what were you thinking of?

Is there some rule that I'm unaware of that every thread on this forum descends into utter ****e?!

Very good you WUM.

KOH

passerrby
15/11/2006, 12:01 PM
well if they do take over we will finally be able to undertstand whats been said

BohsFans
15/11/2006, 12:25 PM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/2006/1114/limerick.html

It has emerged that the Limerick FC is the subject of a bid from a Polish business consortium.

Blues chairman Danny Drew revealed yesterday that he had been approached by the consortium at the weekend and they want to take over the beleaguered club.

Both parties will meet again in Limerick tomorrow night.

Drew declined to identify the people concerned, but said that the consortium have made a serious approach and they want to become involved in the eircom League.

It is understood that the consortium consists of at least 10 Polish business men, one of whom has an interest in a Polish First Division club.

The group have their homework done, according to Drew. He reckons that, with the Polish population in Ireland now at over 130,000, their plan makes perfect sense.

He said: 'I met with a group of Polish business men on Sunday and they put forward a very serious business plan to take over the club.

'It could mean that Limerick FC will lose its name and its colours, which is a shame, but these people are very serious about becoming involved in the eircom League.

'From my own perspective, I just want to see Limerick remain in the eircom League and if that means a change of name and colours so be it as long as senior soccer survives in this city.

'They fully understand the position we have been left in because of the lease issue at our ground and I am meeting them again tomorrow for further negotiations.'

He added: 'Their plan makes perfect sense because there is a large Polish population in Ireland and straight away they would have a fan base who will immediately identify with the club.'

At present, Limerick FC have two years left on an agreement with tenants Hill Celtic to play at Hogan Park.

Last week it was revealed that another businessman wants to help develop Hogan Park. However, he will not come on board unless the club are allowed buy the ground, or are granted a long-term lease at the venue.

The Blues future is under threat and Drew has set a 1 December deadline to fold the club.

Drew insists that unless they are granted a lease, or are allowed buy the ground, that they will have no other choice but to become the next Dublin City and go out of business.

Fr Joe Young, ex-Limerick FC chairman and a trustee at the venue, told the Blues in February that he would grant them a 25-year lease at the 14-acre site.

However, Fr Young, who was Limerick's chairman in the early 90s, changed his mind and instead promised the FAI the lease last August.

Hogan Park is owned by Peter Hogan who lives in the USA. He has named his son Martin and Fr Young as the two trustees at the 14-acre stadium.

Drew continued: 'Unless we are granted a lease in our name, or are allowed buy the ground, then we will have no other choice but to fold as we cannot continue as a club like this because it is untenable.

'A prominent Limerick business man wants to become involved and he wants to install a full management team and full-time playing staff.

'And now we have a Polish consortium who are interested. As said, my priority is to ensure that senior soccer survives in this city and if someone puts a serious offer on the table I will listen to it.

'The business man concerned and the Polish consortium both understand the position we have been left in because of the broken promises made in relation to the lease.'

Drew is the majority shareholder in the company JRM Sports Limited, the name Limerick FC trade under.

Sounds like bad news for Limerick FC fans, but good news for football in Limerick.

John83
17/11/2006, 3:52 PM
I, for one, would welcome Poland buying Limerick. I'm sure it'd take a bit of pressure off the gardaĆ­, and no one really likes the place.

passerrby
17/11/2006, 5:30 PM
bloody nora you cant sell limerick to poland just when the country the price of property will plummet

CollegeTillIDie
18/11/2006, 9:53 AM
If the Poles do take over here's how things should be handled/

1/ Legia Limerick make their debut in the EL
2/ Away strip should be either all red or white shorts and red shorts
keep the Blue gear for home games.

This would work because there are lots of Polish people living in other parts of Ireland who could become Legia Limerick supporters and bring their Poland scarves and colours with them when the team goes to play away games.

in fairness its a league wide thing having trouble getting support in so would targeting the immigrant population not make sense.in a financeial sense anyway

It just requires a bit of planning and investment in translations of club literature. I think it would be great if every club had Nigerians, Polish, Slovakians etc among their support base. A 10% extra support should be capable of being attracted from the immigrant grouping after all non-Irish now make up 10% of the populations!

I, for one, would welcome Poland buying Limerick. I'm sure it'd take a bit of pressure off the gardaĆ­, and no one really likes the place.
John
You really do not have a clue about what Polish football fans are like I take it.
I went to the Poland v Ireland friendly in Bydgoszcz in April 2004. And the riot police had to intervene between two groups of Poland fans who attacked each other, bringing their seething club rivalries with them .:D

Raheny Red
18/11/2006, 2:17 PM
John
You really do not have a clue about what Polish football fans are like I take it.
I went to the Poland v Ireland friendly in Bydgoszcz in April 2004. And the riot police had to intervene between two groups of Poland fans who attacked each other, bringing their seething club rivalries with them .:D

All the hoolie groups have a league table :eek: :D

Gerrit
18/11/2006, 5:50 PM
Actually, in the Singaporean league the FA deliberately let an immigrants team enter in the premier division, just because they think it will get the immigrants population going to attend more games (the club is named Sporting Afrique by the way).

I have said it before on this very forum (a long while ago) that installing an immigrants team with Chinese or Polish players would make perfect sense in the EL given the amount of Chinese and Eastern European people here.

PS: I am still working on a new club Belgian Rovers FC :D

sadloserkid
18/11/2006, 9:38 PM
Where are people getting this impression that every Pole within 100 miles of Limerick will trundle happily up to Rathbane every second Friday if we wear red shirts and change our name? I would welcome investment from anybody of any nationality, creed or I dunno... gender I guess but anybody that really thinks that it makes sense to target specifically the 4,000 odd Poles living in the city and it's suburbs rather than the 90,000 odd others is living in dreamland. We'd manage a couple of thousand maybe until the novelty wore off but we get that for our rare big games anyway. Afterwards we'd be back down where we are now at best.

It's not like the Polish league draws in huge crowds either, in fact for a country with a population much larger than ours they probably show at least as much apathy for domestic football as the average Irish person does. People talk about the Poles being great lovers of football. I've got news for you though, apparently us Irish love it too. Five figure crowds at your club's last home game I presume so? It would be an experiment for sure (even a worthwhile one I think) to see if an ethnic club takes off in this country but I can't see it flying. Though if it does we can get UCD to cater for the Asian population in Dublin and maybe Galway could become a new home for all the Brazilians that live in Gort.

I'd like to see these Poles on board. But in the 3 Irish, 3 Poles and a seventh public figure board that the club apparently mooted. But not this new name, crest and colours proposal that has insisted it wants to be a100% Polish entity. Limerick should have a club that at least encourages support from every nationality living in the city. If Limerick or any other club in the League announced tomorrow that they were introducing a policy which made them 100% Irish now and forever there would be fupping uproar. Quite rightly so too (this does not apply to Shels, if Shels did it everybody would delightedly use it as a stick to beat them with :)). But apparently it's ok to do it the other way. If we have a Polish chairman and the same name next season I'll be delighted. I'm not even that attached to the colours, I think we could market ourselves a lot better if we wore green. ;)

We're short a club at the moment if the FAI do want to try the ethnic club thing anyway.

onceahoop
18/11/2006, 10:32 PM
'A prominent Limerick business man wants to become involved and he wants to install a full management team and full-time playing staff.

'And now we have a Polish consortium who are interested. As said, my priority is to ensure that senior soccer survives in this city and if someone puts a serious offer on the table I will listen to it.

'The business man concerned and the Polish consortium both understand the position we have been left in because of the broken promises made in relation to the lease.'

Everyone sems to have ignored the bit about the Limerick Businessman. Anyone know who he is.

BTW. Polish hooligans are scary.I couldn't be arsed at the moment to search for the link but if you go to youtube and search for Polish Football Hooligans you'll believe our schooligans are pussycats compared to them.

sadloserkid
19/11/2006, 7:28 PM
Everyone sems to have ignored the bit about the Limerick Businessman. Anyone know who he is.

If people do (and some apparently do) they've certainly not told me yet. :)