Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poles to buy Limerick?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts

Poles to buy Limerick?

http://www.rte.ie/aertel/p224.htm

Probably would be good for the club as very few people in Limerick seem to have any interest in a football club. Maybe they'll become the Hearts of the eircom League!
    I phoned the speaking clock to hear a voice speak, it said - "At the tone you will be very much alone"

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    This would be a stroke alright. How many Poles in Limerick? Possibility of getting their own club in a city with access to a senior league.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    It would be good for the Poles in the city, but to be honest if this goes through I think a lot of the Limerick FC fans that are already there will be gone, especially if they change our colours and our name. Rather than be the new Hearts we'll be the new MK Dons

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jebus View Post
    It would be good for the Poles in the city, but to be honest if this goes through I think a lot of the Limerick FC fans that are already there will be gone, especially if they change our colours and our name. Rather than be the new Hearts we'll be the new MK Dons
    We didn't leave the alst time we had our colours changed and the name changed. Terrible situation though.

It wouldn't be my first choice but given the recent press I'd rather have that than no team at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gspain View Post
    We didn't leave the alst time we had our colours changed and the name changed. Terrible situation though.

It wouldn't be my first choice but given the recent press I'd rather have that than no team at all.

Honestly at least that time the club was re-marketed for the same fans. This time it will be marketed for a whole different bunch of supporters, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a Polish/English hybrid of a name put on the club, as well as the club colours being changed to red and white, which to me would mean that a completely different club are representing Limerick City in the Eircom League to the one I support now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Why are you assuming or suggesting they'd want to make any such changes, and why are you suggesting that fans would desert the club just because it fell under foreign ownership ?? Are Limerick people really that narrow-minded ??

The Poles would be buying the club as a business venture - not as a plaything of the Polish community. Doesn't matter how many Poles there are in Limerick - there's tens of thousands more non-Poles, and any sensible business would recognise that.

Also - if any name change was to happen, I don't see how you could have a genuine problem with it, so long as 'Limerick' was kept in it. Wasn't so long ago you guys were Limerick City, and before that Limerick United, and I doubt you lost all your fans each time those name changes took place. With only one senior club in Limerick, any business would be absolutely crazy to drop the Limerick name, and I'm sure they'd know that. And surely any Irish or other non-Irish consortium would be just as capable of the changes you mention - so to be honest your fear smacks a little of zenophobia : 'Those bloody Poles will want to change everything their way!'.

And to be brutally honest - even if they did make major and sweeping changes, it's not as if there's a big fan base there to alienate. The very limited support Limerick has at the moment could easily be used as justification to say the current approach isn't working so change needs to be made.

As for the MK Dons comparison - only if you dropped all reference to Limerick, changed colours, moved to Clare and called yourself 'Ennis' would that be an accurate comparison. Changes whilst staying put in Limerick would make you Dublin City...!

Any form of investment in our league is to be welcomed. We can't afford to be snooty or zenophobic about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve View Post
    Why are you assuming or suggesting they'd want to make any such changes, and why are you suggesting that fans would desert the club just because it fell under foreign ownership ?? Are Limerick people really that narrow-minded ??

The Poles would be buying the club as a business venture - not as a plaything of the Polish community. Doesn't matter how many Poles there are in Limerick - there's tens of thousands more non-Poles, and any sensible business would recognise that.

Also - if any name change was to happen, I don't see how you could have a genuine problem with it, so long as 'Limerick' was kept in it. Wasn't so long ago you guys were Limerick City, and before that Limerick United, and I doubt you lost all your fans each time those name changes took place. With only one senior club in Limerick, any business would be absolutely crazy to drop the Limerick name, and I'm sure they'd know that. And surely any Irish or other non-Irish consortium would be just as capable of the changes you mention - so to be honest your fear smacks a little of zenophobia : 'Those bloody Poles will want to change everything their way!'.

And to be brutally honest - even if they did make major and sweeping changes, it's not as if there's a big fan base there to alienate. The very limited support Limerick has at the moment could easily be used as justification to say the current approach isn't working so change needs to be made.

As for the MK Dons comparison - only if you dropped all reference to Limerick, changed colours, moved to Clare and called yourself 'Ennis' would that be an accurate comparison. Changes whilst staying put in Limerick would make you Dublin City...!

Any form of investment in our league is to be welcomed. We can't afford to be snooty or zenophobic about it.

Right first suggestion is to take some pills and calm yourself down, and the second suggestion is to go away and read the article before wading in like that.

If you had done that you would see our chairman Danny Drew stating that the new owners would likely be changing the club name and colours, and would be targeting the Polish community. You see how I made that leap of faith then?

As for the fans deserting, I never said they would, I said I would desert them, so again I bring up the 'will you just read before you type' suggestion.

and I don't think I'm being zenophobic, in fact I did say that it makes sense for a Polish consortium to look at getting a team in an Eircom League, whilst never once saying 'those bloody Poles, taking our jobs and our clubs' as someone with a racial problem with them would. Nope I just said, I don't think it will be the same club if you change the teams name and colours and target a different set of fans

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    When i saw the thread title for a brief second I imagined them buying the whole city ...... to remind them of the Poland of the '80s they grew up in?
    A patriot is someone who knows how to hate his country properly.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Here we go

Expect thesis'

KOH

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    where in the Aertel statement does it mention anything about these types of changes ?
    It says it in the main RTE report. It quotes Drew as saying:

It could mean that Limerick FC will lose its name and its colours, which is a shame, but these people are very serious about becoming involved in the eircom League.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    once again, will you go away and read the bloody article and not aertal for christ's sake

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    oh and take down your post calling me a racist and I'll gladly remove my one calling you a ****ing ****** as well

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Alright all rules here aside, go **** yourself for calling me racist when you haven't even bothered reading our chairman's press release you ****ing imbecile. Zero evidence is what you have you ****** and I apologise to the mod of this forum and dahamsta for breaking the 'attack the post not the poster' rule but **** that when someone so ignorant tries to paint you as a racist. read the ****ing press release you tit and not what aertal says
    OK Jebus - my profound apologies.

The only thing I've seen on this was the Aertel article posted above, and that is the only reference to the story anywhere made on this thread until Student Mullett pointed out that there was another article elsewhere n the main RTE site.

I take back everything I said, and apologise unreservedly. My mistake.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    oh and take down your post calling me a racist and I'll gladly remove my one calling you a ****ing ****** as well
    Will take it down now. You can leave your's up if you want, as was my mistake anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Will take it down now. You can leave your's up if you want, as was my mistake anyway.
    I'll take it down, an apology solves a lot in my book

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NY Hoop View Post
    Here we go

Expect thesis'

KOH
    Not all of us have a problem admitting when we get something wrong NYH.....

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,010 Posts
    "Limerickski"

"Legia Limerick"

"Solidarity FC"

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Not all of us have a problem admitting when we get something wrong NYH.....
    I actually fell off my chair when you admitted you were wrong. What next? The FAI admitting they have fcuked up the league.

KOH

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,010 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
    how about Polska Stabski FC
    Was wondering who would be enough of a WUM to say that. It turned out to be you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NY Hoop View Post
    I actually fell off my chair when you admitted you were wrong. What next? The FAI admitting they have fcuked up the league.

KOH
    I happily admit when I'm wrong NYH, and can PM you a few other instances from recently on this site if you'd like.

If more people followed the same approach, perhaps you wouldn't have the grudge you have against me ever since I pointed out where you'd got something totally wrong on that whole Wimbledon comparison thread....?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast