PDA

View Full Version : Unusual Nicknames

Pages : [1] 2

Aaron
19/10/2006, 8:53 PM
Wot is the most unusual nickname u have heard a footballer called. The most bizzarre i have heard is Shane Bradley whose nickname is Rita!! Cud a Finn Harps fan care to explain why this is his nickname

pineapple stu
19/10/2006, 8:59 PM
John Barnes was known as Tarmac, because he was the black Heighway.

We've had DangerBenno and Kenfold (Eóin Bennis and Ken Kilmurray), the Sammon of College (Conor Sammon), Batman (Philip Hughes; no-one knew who he was when he made his debut, so we called him the mysterious stranger and from there Batman) and a few others.

Kildare Lad
19/10/2006, 9:07 PM
we had Damien "daisy" Brennan, a bit weird, and Brays keeper is name Chris "skipy" O'Connor i think too.....

Aaron
19/10/2006, 9:08 PM
Damien "daisy" Brennan

Funny enuff we called him that too!!

The Stars
19/10/2006, 9:50 PM
Ian Lynch at rovers was "kipper", Mark McLean (glider), ...they were back in the good ol days! fcuk all sice then...oh david o dowd - now @ galway was istabraq..quality!

is his nickname not Disco?it was when he was with us anyway.
Ciaran Kelly was called Tracksuit when he played aswell.

Mr A
19/10/2006, 10:55 PM
Wot is the most unusual nickname u have heard a footballer called. The most bizzarre i have heard is Shane Bradley whose nickname is Rita!! Cud a Finn Harps fan care to explain why this is his nickname

Answer from FBTN on Harps Forum:

When we were at school, for a while everyone used to refer to one another by the mothers names. Why, I don't know. Just a bit of craic when your 14 I suppose. Shane's mother is called Rita and it stuck from there.

Aaron
19/10/2006, 11:04 PM
:D :D

I hope no-ones mother is called Shiobhan, as in Shiobhan ur knickers ur ma's commin

I'll get me coat

Mr A
19/10/2006, 11:20 PM
I'll get me coat

Bye now.

harpskid
19/10/2006, 11:31 PM
Few nicknames among the Harps panels:

Shane Bradley - Rita
Shaun McGowan - Wizzy
Gary Crossan - Nange
Alan Gethins - Chuckie
Colm McGonigle - Turkey

EnDai
20/10/2006, 12:32 AM
we had Damien "daisy" Brennan, a bit weird, and Brays keeper is name Chris "skipy" O'Connor i think too.....
Because O'Connors Aussie perhaps?

Calcio Jack
20/10/2006, 8:09 AM
The strangest (but also highly amusing ) because I could never figure out the reason for it concerned two brothers who played for Rovers circa 1975. Their surname was Cochrane. They only played a few games for us and they always came on as subs , with both taking the pitch at the same time which might have something to do with them being refered to as " Arse & Bum":D

Danny
20/10/2006, 8:21 AM
Karim el Kabir was known as Peaches

"Peaches & Karim".......

Raheny Red
20/10/2006, 8:51 AM
Ger Rowe = Buzzer

BohsPartisan
20/10/2006, 8:54 AM
A certain ex St Francis, Kilkenny and Finn Harps player was known as Skeletor, but he reads this forum so I won't name him! ;)

Lim till i die
20/10/2006, 10:20 AM
What about that black keeper Sligo had a few years back that they used to call "Banana" :eek: :eek:

Ash
20/10/2006, 10:25 AM
Colin Fortune is nicknamed "Ga"
When he was younger he used to think he was a skillful as
Gascoigne but couldn't pronounce the name and so "Ga" stuck.
Dunno if thats the only reason, but I remember being told that
by mates of his when we were in school.

Gary Connaughton used to be nicknamed "Igor" ... dunno if he
knew about it though

Shane Curran was nicknamed "Cake"

Niall Donnelly was nicknamed "Hopper". Dunno why. Terrible terrible
player.

We kickname Robbie Forde "The Ostrich" cos he's large and flightless!

razor
20/10/2006, 10:28 AM
Shane Curran was nicknamed "Cake"i'll see your Cake and raise you a "Biscuits", Phil Harrington, One of the EL goalkeeping greats, City legend and still at the club.

The Stars
20/10/2006, 10:41 AM
What about that black keeper Sligo had a few years back that they used to call "Banana" :eek: :eek:

Alvan Rouse....the legend that is.
Think he brought that nickname with him...nothing racist anyway.

green-blood
20/10/2006, 10:43 AM
Mark Kenny - Beech Boy

for reasons of modesty thats enough said

Schumi
20/10/2006, 10:43 AM
i'll see your Cake and raise you a "Biscuits", Phil Harrington, One of the EL goalkeeping greats, City legend and still at the club.He worked in a biscuit factory or something didn't he? Always liked that nickname.

GuisaSaigon
20/10/2006, 10:46 AM
There was Jumbo Brennan ? , John cleary got the name Plug (bash street kids) while playing for us and derek Carrol was called Pube because he was short and curly:D

BrayUnknowns
20/10/2006, 10:56 AM
Chris O'Connor - Skippy
Being from Oz it makes sense

Colm Tresson - Daz
The story i heard was because when he 1st jojned the club he jocks were sparkling white, hence Daz

Keiran O'Brien - Tarzan
Have'nt got a clue !

NY Hoop
20/10/2006, 11:01 AM
Mark Kenny - Beech Boy

for reasons of modesty thats enough said

I think you'll find it is Beach Boy. Big difference!

Re biscuits to show our appreciation of the fat lad we showered the goalmouth at half time with rich teas, wagon wheels and other goodies at bishopstown the year we won the league:D Everyone saw the funny side except the local papers who said we had fired missiles:eek:

KOH

GuisaSaigon
20/10/2006, 11:18 AM
Slob Costello - not a great name for a keeper

bigmac
20/10/2006, 11:42 AM
John "Chilly" Power played for Waterford for a few seasons - used to eat tons of Chilly Willys as a kid and the name stuck from his Johnville days.

Fivesilver
20/10/2006, 12:20 PM
In Roddy Collins' short sojourn in Sligo, he was often referred to as "Joan".

We also had Philly 'Turtle' Power and the great Brendan 'Beezer' Bradley.
Gerry Doherty was known as 'Billy Bunter'.
And not to forget a striker from a few years back, 'Micheál Beag'.

Can anybody tell me why Cobh legend Frank O'Neill was called 'Sniffer'?

Magicme
20/10/2006, 12:21 PM
Always wanted to know y Mark is called Beach Boy.

Stuart Holt was know as Captain Tantastic during his time at Mons. Most strange one tho is Paul "Sammy" Colgan our ex goalie. Refused to answer to name Paul. Was something to do with a slagging as a kid for being tubby and being know as "Fat Sam" but he will always be our Sammy.

Cant think of others at mo coz am too tired and work is over so brain has packed up.

pineapple stu
20/10/2006, 12:28 PM
Niall Donnelly was nicknamed "Hopper". Dunno why. Terrible terrible player.
Same at UCD. On both counts. :)

centre mid
20/10/2006, 12:32 PM
wasnt Eric Lavine know as Derek due the fact the players from galway could pronounce Eric properly

SeanDrog
20/10/2006, 12:38 PM
When Gary Cronin was with Drogs he was named Snackbox.

GuisaSaigon
20/10/2006, 12:48 PM
wasnt Eric Lavine know as Derek due the fact the players from galway could pronounce Eric properly

Who is this Eric Lavine:confused: :confused: :rolleyes:

centre mid
20/10/2006, 1:04 PM
Pardon my spelling

Passive
20/10/2006, 1:05 PM
I think you'll find it is Beach Boy.

Great nickname, even if Beached Whale would have been more apt.

stann
20/10/2006, 4:19 PM
We had a prior snackbox down here, the legend that is Pascal 'Snackbox' Keane, allegedly named for his habit of partaking of the K-Recipe's finest the evening before a game! :D

KildareFan
20/10/2006, 4:23 PM
Brendan Kennedy's nickname is "Ping" although I don't know why.

Maybe it's something to do with Pinging the ball 80 yards down the pitch to nobody in particular

Ben Whelehan was known as the Terminator for a while when he was with Kildare due to his physique and his tackling technique

Raheny Red
20/10/2006, 4:33 PM
Brendan Kennedy's nickname is "Ping" although I don't know why.

Maybe it's something to do with Pinging the ball 80 yards down the pitch to nobody in particular

Ben Whelehan was known as the Terminator for a while when he was with Kildare due to his physique and his tackling technique

TBH that is more of a hoof than a ping ;) :p

KildareFan
20/10/2006, 4:45 PM
TBH that is more of a hoof than a ping ;) :p

Yeah, that's true, probably wouldn't take to being called Hoof as easily though :-)

Strabane_Harp
20/10/2006, 5:50 PM
'Hoof' is a registered trademark of Ian Rossiter enterprises :p every time he touched the ball our fans would scream it

sadloserkid
20/10/2006, 5:57 PM
A couple of unfathomable ones with our shower... Paul Finucane is called 'Duca' for some reason and Brian Buckley 'Chucka'. Kevin Waters is sometimes referred to as 'Blondie'. And the dear departed CP O'Brien was known as 'Can't Pass'.

forza
20/10/2006, 9:13 PM
Ger Rowe = Buzzer

Thats been around since I played GAA with the chap at under 10's level got that in primary school it just stuck

Bluebeard
21/10/2006, 12:25 PM
Two more old Blues nicknames to go with Snackbox and Chilli
Darren Lonergan - Baywatch (Blonde perm stood out on the field in 92/93)
Martin Quinlivan - Blossom (As far as I recall, all his brothers were called Blossom, hence the nickname)

Aaron
21/10/2006, 1:07 PM
Gary Beckett is naicknamed 'Bing' dont know why tho!

DmanDmythDledge
21/10/2006, 1:09 PM
Eoin Hand called Conan Byrne "Conan the Barbarian" last night.

tallaghtfornia
21/10/2006, 2:06 PM
Thats been around since I played GAA with the chap at under 10's level got that in primary school it just stuck

thanks for clearin that up, buzzer a hero at rovers and the new song for him has taken off

GUISAUltra
21/10/2006, 2:16 PM
funny one was derek mc carthy when he played for galway before going back to limerick.

Derek "Stella" McCarthy

Terry
21/10/2006, 2:23 PM
thats what he drank (stella artois), and since barely anyone else drinks it in town they named him after it.

forza
21/10/2006, 9:33 PM
thanks for clearin that up, buzzer a hero at rovers and the new song for him has taken off
Whats the song :confused:

He's a Pats fan btw :p

monzo
22/10/2006, 11:24 AM
'Hoof' is a registered trademark of Ian Rossiter enterprises :p every time he touched the ball our fans would scream it

Its actually just one fella with an extremely loud voice who screams that! :D

GuisaSaigon
22/10/2006, 11:37 AM
Ricky "Riverdance" O' Flaherty , because he was an all Ireland irish dancing champion as a young lad. Hard to believe, isn't it?

Stevo Da Gull
22/10/2006, 2:28 PM
Colm Tresson - Daz
The story i heard was because when he 1st jojned the club he jocks were sparkling white, hence Daz

I dont know how he became daz but wikipedia says..... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colm_Tresson