PDA

View Full Version : Racism in Irish Football

Pages : [1] 2 3

The Sheliban
03/10/2006, 7:06 PM
As October is anti-racism in football month (its all right to be racist in the other 11 months?) I was wondering if anyone has encountered racism at League games in Ireland?

I personally haven't, but have come across the following in the last number of years
Mass booing of a Linfield player at Jimmy Holmes' testimonial at Dalymount in 1985 (Sectarianism? Racism? Is there a difference?)
Booing of a black Shels player by a Belgrove supporter in the Cup a few years ago.
Joey Ndo booed by Steau Bucharest fans.

Kerr admitting he'd received hate mail for having Chris Hughton as his No 2.
Booing former Glasgow Rangers players at Lansdowne (again, sectarianism or racism or both or neither?)
Attempts by non-Shels fans to stir sectarian hatred when we played Linfield in the Setanta Cup.
As I said, I'm not sure if some of these actually constitute racism, and I'm quite happy we don't have a major problem at football grounds here, but with a lot of intolerance in today's new multi-cultural society, is it inevitable that some of this will seep into football?

LukeO
03/10/2006, 7:25 PM
The only racism that I've ever come accross in Ireland was when Linfield fans were doing monkey chants at Shels' Joey Ndo in the Setanta Cup this year... Shocking.

headtheball
03/10/2006, 7:26 PM
As October is anti-racism in football month (its all right to be racist in the other 11 months?) I was wondering if anyone has encountered racism at League games in Ireland?
I personally haven't, but have come across the following in the last number of years
Mass booing of a Linfield player at Jimmy Holmes' testimonial at Dalymount in 1985 (Sectarianism? Racism? Is there a difference?)
Booing of a black Shels player by a Belgrove supporter in the Cup a few years ago.
Booing former Glasgow Rangers players at Lansdowne (again, sectarianism or racism or both or neither?)
Attempts by non-Shels fans to stir sectarian hatred when we played Linfield in the Setanta Cup.
As I said, I'm not sure if some of these actually constitute racism, and I'm quite happy we don't have a major problem at football grounds here, but with a lot of intolerance in today's new multi-cultural society, is it inevitable that some of this will seep into football?

Every week when we play. Referees don't like us as our next "Queen is Camilla Parker Bowles"..:p

Mr A
03/10/2006, 7:26 PM
You come across the odd moron but in general I've never seen any real racism at an eL ground.

Poor Student
03/10/2006, 7:28 PM

Personally I've never heard anything racist at an eL ground.

Sadly, there's little we can about that.

www.**********.org , there's an Irish forum there. Our country will always contain a small minority of this type of scourge that can send hate mail and give any tabloid a nice sensationalist story.

As sectarian or racist as fans of other EPL clubs booing Chelsea players and other rivals of their preferred English clubs and equally as stupid.

Just like the ********** types, it's hard to keep a handle on all small groups that want to be divisive and cause trouble.

I'm quite happy we don't have a major problem at football grounds here

Same here.

but with a lot of intolerance in today's new multi-cultural society, is it inevitable that some of this will seep into football?

Sadly so.

headtheball
03/10/2006, 7:32 PM
To be honest, i have not heard anything in the league at any games we play in. Although i heard the stuff N'do had to take on Setanta against Linfield.Absolutely disgusting, but they were morons who Linfield quickly distanced themselves from.

Dodge
03/10/2006, 8:30 PM
Curtis Fleming got abused years ago by small sections of the Rovers support and large sections of the Dundalk support. Dundalk also gave horrendous abuse to Mbabazi.

There's also a reason why Pats fans monkey chant at David Crawley (when no black players are around...)

LeixlipRed
03/10/2006, 9:31 PM
Ah poor Dave, the double entendre there is so apt. Never heard an istance of racial abuse from anyone I've sat near. Experienced the abuse of Ndo by opposition fans in Linfield and Bucharest obviously. Don't think it's widespread in the south but that's not to say it doesn't exist. Seen a few lads get abused at schoolboy level over the years. Disgusting behaviour

BohsFans
03/10/2006, 11:20 PM
Personally I have heard it.

When Dundalk were in the Premier about 4 yrs (?) ago Mark Rutherford came on as a sub up in Oriel. They 'monkey chanted' every time he got the ball.
It was strange because Avery John played the whole game and nothing was shouted at him.
This could well have sparked trouble if we weren't already under attack from the Dundalk fans in the shed that night!:mad: :rolleyes:

Night of shame.

Dave drummerboy
04/10/2006, 12:03 AM
Dont remember any monkey chants that night but i do remember the bohs fans throwing the first few things at the shed boys , and then it kicked off . Wee baldy guy was at the front of bohs lot thinking he was it .

Macy
04/10/2006, 7:17 AM
Heard it twice from Town fans, in the first season up. Both times they "visited" by other members of the fanbase. Apart from that, odd comments that have been shouted down by others*.

Main place I remember Town players being on the receiving end was Dundalkkk, both home and away. Hopefully they've rid themselves of that element, as it was fairly significant that season.

*I think it's inevitable that there will be people shouting racist comments, as I think we're quite a racist nation tbh. You hear comments and discussions in pubs and workplaces that just wouldn't be acceptable in the UK. Certainly after having grown up and gone to school in a multi cultural and multi/ non denominational environment.

superfrank
04/10/2006, 7:33 AM
I personally can't stand the abuse Derry City fans get, quite frequently, for being from the North. It's not as if they are Union Jack waving loyalists or anything?? And then fans start up with "What's it like to serve the Queen?" and all this ********.

Yet naturally we're all too happy let them do well in Europe, flying the Irish flag. I think that needs to be sorted out before you look at wider issues.

seand
04/10/2006, 7:51 AM
We've had our problems at Dundalk, but it seems to be pretty much gone now, thank fook. Makes me shudder to think of the abuse Mark Rutherford used to get in the early 90s.

Ironically enough Baba Issaka, possibly the worst player ever to pull on a Dundalk jersey was something of a cult hero, seemingly because of the colour of his skin. A beneficiary of positive discrimination!

I don't think theres much of a problem in Irish football in general, though you always get one or two head cases.

On the subject of Derry fans, don't be so precious. 'Whats it like to have a Queen', 'Did you march in your parade' are taking the **** and no more offensive that 'sheep shagging *******s' or 'in your Phibsboro slums'

headtheball
04/10/2006, 7:55 AM
I personally can't stand the abuse Derry City fans get, quite frequently, for being from the North. It's not as if they are Union Jack waving loyalists or anything?? And then fans start up with "What's it like to serve the Queen?" and all this ********.

Yet naturally we're all too happy let them do well in Europe, flying the Irish flag. I think that needs to be sorted out before you look at wider issues.

Personally i don't find it offensive when it's done in jest. However when sung constantly for most of game, you do get the feeling it's for sinister reasons. That's what i don't like..

On a funny side i remember being in the horseshoe in Cork last game of the season, before the decider and us and the Cork fans were giving it loads with rival chanting. The Cork fans started "what's it like to serve the queen" chant.(This was in jest btw and was only cork fans having a laugh). When quick as a flash young derry fan got a chant going "ask your president".Thought it was a classic reply...:)

ciaraa
04/10/2006, 8:30 AM
jason kabia got some terrible abuse from about 30 drog 'fans' when he was playing for cork (i think) up in utd park some years ago.

Ronnie
04/10/2006, 9:00 AM
I remember Lavine getting dogs abuse...from a linesman in Tolka.

Magicme
04/10/2006, 9:07 AM
I personally can't stand the abuse Derry City fans get, quite frequently, for being from the North. It's not as if they are Union Jack waving loyalists or anything??

Fair play to you superfrank but just one thing, even if they were Union Jack waving loyalists they still don't deserve abuse for it as that would still be bigotry!

marley
04/10/2006, 9:23 AM
"Personally I have heard it.

When Dundalk were in the Premier about 4 yrs (?) ago Mark Rutherford came on as a sub up in Oriel. They 'monkey chanted' every time he got the ball.
It was strange because Avery John played the whole game and nothing was shouted at him.
This could well have sparked trouble if we weren't already under attack from the Dundalk fans in the shed that night!

Night of shame"

What a load of crap. The Bohs casuals came over to the shed and there was slagging going on between fans. A baldy ******** got stick and his mate punched a Dundalk fan, turned around and put his arms in the air. He then got a thumping and both sets of fans kicked off. Nothing to do with racist chanting

bohsmug
04/10/2006, 9:35 AM

This could well have sparked trouble if we weren't already under attack from the Dundalk fans in the shed that night!

Night of shame"

What a load of crap. The Bohs casuals came over to the shed and there was slagging going on between fans. A baldy ******** got stick and his mate punched a Dundalk fan, turned around and put his arms in the air. He then got a thumping and both sets of fans kicked off. Nothing to do with racist chanting

There was still monkey chants though yeah? Seen as though the thread is about racism in Irish football and all . . . .
Also he does say that the trouble started before the racist chanting.

Jerry The Saint
04/10/2006, 9:42 AM
That delightful scamp, Oliver Byrne, making light of racist abuse in an interview with Hot Press spoke fondly of how some Shels players liked telling Rutherford to get back in the shower to wash the black off.

http://foot.ie/archive/index.php/t-13338.html

:rolleyes:

Block G Raptor
04/10/2006, 10:30 AM
Remember a young lad in the shed donkeys years ago "monkey chanted" at wesley Charles and was very nearly lynched by the rest of the bohs supporters. have never heard any racist abuse at dalymount before or after. Unless you count the he's big he's black he's brutal at the back chant that we sang briefly for Jimmy Aggrey

marley
04/10/2006, 10:36 AM
To Bohsmug My point is there was no monkey chants that night, not before or after the trouble which was started by Bohs casuals

marley
04/10/2006, 10:39 AM
One last point. Why talk about racism that occured a number of years back. Some clubs like our own had problems with this but supporters won't stand for it now and anyone that decides to do it is immediately told where to get off

NY Hoop
04/10/2006, 10:49 AM
Jason Sherlock racially abused in Dundalk while playing for UCD.

KOH

passerrby
04/10/2006, 10:53 AM
we must remember that football appeals to the lowest common denominator as well as us superior folk so expect it its part of the baggage.

NY Hoop
04/10/2006, 11:14 AM
Nonsense we shouldnt have to "expect it". There is no excuse for racism in any walk of life.

http://www.shamrockrovers.ie/showracismtheredcard.php

KOH

Lim till i die
04/10/2006, 11:19 AM
I think the fact that there's so little racism in Irish grounds says a lot about how unpopular the league is amongst ordinary Irish people, who colectively are Racist. IMHO if we ever did get big crowds going back to games you'd be looking at an Italy style situation at lots of clubs

Magicme
04/10/2006, 11:25 AM
Well said NY Hoop. Totally agree. Passerby I see what you are saying but there is no way I will ever accept racist comments at CHP and have argued with people in the past over such attitudes.

passerrby
04/10/2006, 11:39 AM
you misunderstand me I did not say accept i said expect that does not mean we have no responsibility to deal with it werever encountered

Magicme
04/10/2006, 11:48 AM
Knowing you as I do Passerby I know u wouldnt tolerate it so I understand what ur sayin.

Dodge
04/10/2006, 12:02 PM
I think the fact that there's so little racism in Irish grounds says a lot about how unpopular the league is amongst ordinary Irish people, who colectively are Racist. IMHO if we ever did get big crowds going back to games you'd be looking at an Italy style situation at lots of clubs

I wouldn't say that tbh. There's a lot of latent rascism (mainly due to ignorance) but its nowhere near as bad as most european countries. I'm not condoning it but Ireland is far from the most rascist coountry in europe

Jaime
04/10/2006, 12:25 PM
rascist coountry

:D ...

Lim till i die
04/10/2006, 1:14 PM
I wouldn't say that tbh. There's a lot of latent rascism (mainly due to ignorance) but its nowhere near as bad as most european countries. I'm not condoning it but Ireland is far from the most rascist coountry in europe

Fair point but I definitely think if you had returns to regular crowds of say 7-8 thousand at games the whole thing would inevitably get politicised. Granted nowhere near to the extent of say Italy or Spain but there would definitely be a monkey chanting NF style element

NY Hoop
04/10/2006, 1:20 PM
Nonsense. How can you say there would be a "monkey chanting NF style element" if we got an extra few thousand at the gate?

Maybe in limerick but it simply wouldnt happen in Dublin. And if by some chance it did it would be weeded out pretty quick.

IMO those days are gone. There are so many nationalities living here and they are by and large treated well.

KOH

GuisaSaigon
04/10/2006, 1:24 PM
I've never really heard any rascist chants at a LOI game and I dont think it would be tolerated no matter how many supporters come to a game.
There are however a lot of rascist bigots on our little island, but i think the GAA will have more of them to worry about than us in a few years.

bigmac
04/10/2006, 1:26 PM
Fair point but I definitely think if you had returns to regular crowds of say 7-8 thousand at games the whole thing would inevitably get politicised. Granted nowhere near to the extent of say Italy or Spain but there would definitely be a monkey chanting NF style element

is it present at GAA games where the crowds would be of this magnitude and bigger? not aware of it - I think that a lot of the responsibility rests with the various supporters as well to let people around them know that that sort of behaviour is unacceptable.

Lim till i die
04/10/2006, 1:26 PM
IMO those days are gone. There are so many nationalities living here and they are by and large treated well.

Maybe too well if you listen to a lot of people on my estate ;)

It's all pure speculation. If the economy was to hit a rough patch or anything down the line I genuinely see huge potential for racial strife. A lot of people are already pretty resentful about the whole situation....

Anyway, what if all the taxis drivers who once supported Rovers came back to games? Rampant Racism :p

Lim till i die
04/10/2006, 1:27 PM
is it present at GAA games where the crowds would be of this magnitude and bigger? not aware of it

Completely different demographic at GAA games in fairness

WeAreRovers
04/10/2006, 1:47 PM

Spot on - apart from the subliminal reference to coons ;)

Considering the changes in this country in recent years, we have, in real terms, very little racism. Despite the tabs banging on about immigrants, by and large there have been few problems.

Unlike the vast majority of EU states we have no far right political party. Check out the doc about the Brazilians in Gort tomorrow night on RTÉ One - you wouldn't see that sort of integration in the vast majority od european countries.

Don't believe the hype, theres sod all racism here. Having said that, I'll still be in the face of anyone racially abusing a player at a game.

KOH

sonofstan
04/10/2006, 1:48 PM
I assume you mean on the pitch as they are unlikely to see a black face to abuse from one year to the next. The closest they get is Sherlock, who from what I gather recieve racial abuse from the culchies in blue who are supposed to be supporting him.

AFAIK the Ó'Hailpín's were subjected to fairly vicuous stuff at club level in Cork

Lim till i die
04/10/2006, 1:48 PM
I assume you mean on the pitch as they are unlikely to see a black face to abuse from one year to the next.

Pretty different off the pitch aswell in fairness, maybe Dub footballers excepted. There's a huge section of people at GAA games who wouldn't dream of darkening the door of an Eircom League ground

Dodge
04/10/2006, 1:55 PM
And likewise with el fans. The pint remains though that rascism in the terms we're talking is directed at the players and so far there hasn't been a high profile black player. There's been a couple of mixed race lads and according to the posts here, they get abuse.

BeaumontBohs
04/10/2006, 1:56 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/south_of_scotland/5405722.stm

I don't think we are really too bad.

Philo
04/10/2006, 3:00 PM
Didn't Sligo Rovers have a nazi element turning up to matches a few years ago? Germans based in Tubbercurry I think.

BohsFans
04/10/2006, 3:04 PM

Night of shame"

Deflecting away from the point, I doubt he would have done anything if youse hadn't have showered us with bottles, cans and coins for the whole game.:rolleyes:

It's clear from this thread that Dundalkkk (<-- why else do you think you got that name?) HAD a racist core.
HOPEFULLY it's long gone, it seems to be.

bluemovie
04/10/2006, 3:09 PM
jason kabia got some terrible abuse from about 30 drog 'fans' when he was playing for cork (i think) up in utd park some years ago.

He got plenty of abuse from Blues fans when he was playing for us, but that was nothing to do with race - he was just a really, really bad player.

superfrank
04/10/2006, 3:46 PM
Fair play to you superfrank but just one thing, even if they were Union Jack waving loyalists they still don't deserve abuse for it as that would still be bigotry!
I didn't mean that if they were waving Union Jacks around, they'd deserve it. They don't deserve it at all.

What I meant was that they alot more like Irish people then British people, yet we still give them abuse over it.

I know the Bray fans do. However, I never join in. I've heard it being sung on the telly at them too.

It shouldn't happen at all. End of.

BohsPartisan
04/10/2006, 3:58 PM
I assume you mean on the pitch as they are unlikely to see a black face to abuse from one year to the next. The closest they get is Sherlock, who from what I gather recieve racial abuse from the culchies in blue who are supposed to be supporting him.

'cept when they play Australia.

jebus
04/10/2006, 4:00 PM
I'd go along with Lim Til I Die on this one, I do think that if the attendences started going up it would attract in a lot of scumbags that would inevitably chant something sectarian (Dundalk singing Celtic songs anyone?) or the odd monkey chant from someone who thinks its funny (we had one guy in Limerick recently). I don't think it would reach Italian levels, but I think it would increase certainly.

NY Hoop, don't try and start stupid arguments again with your 'it might happen in Limerick, but not in Dublin' comment, is that what WUMing means? :rolleyes:

Jaime
04/10/2006, 4:01 PM
Maybe too well if you listen to a lot of people on my estate ;)

There's a ferocious amount of Limerick people on **********. :eek: