PDA

View Full Version : Carr Withdraws, Doyle a doubt

Pages : [1] 2

Dotsy
03/10/2006, 5:18 PM
Just heard on the six news on Today FM that Doyle is a doubt for the Cyprus match. They didn't give any details.:eek:

ken foree
03/10/2006, 5:23 PM
good god, please no no no

eirebhoy
03/10/2006, 5:29 PM
I changed the thread title to add this.

Stephen Carr is forced to withdraw from European qualifying match in Cyprus (http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1197)

Problems mounted for the Republic of Ireland international team manager Stephen Staunton today when Stephen Carr (Newcastle United) withdrew from the squad for Saturday’s European Championship qualifying tie against Cyprus in Nicosia.

To compound matters, striker Kevin Doyle (Reading) was prevented from training with the other members of the squad in Malahide this afternoon by an ankle injury he received at the week-end when helping Reading defeat West Ham.

Doyle looked an unhappy picture on the sideline as he watched the Irish squad in training and Staunton later commented: “He is struggling.”

Tabb and Foley called up.

Irish_Praha
03/10/2006, 5:34 PM
Cr@p (if he's out), would have been a good chance for Doyle to get his first international goal. Hopefully he'll be recovered in time for the Czech game.

tetsujin1979
03/10/2006, 6:15 PM
AARRRGGGGHHHH from http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1197

Staunton today called up the previously un-capped Kevin Foley (Luton Town) and Jay Tabb (Brentford) when he reviewed the health of a squad that has now been seriously weakened for Saturday’s game in Cyprus.

Tabb plays for Coventry!!!

shakermaker1982
03/10/2006, 6:23 PM
oh FFS - Can it get any worse?

concanta
03/10/2006, 6:34 PM
not that I wish them any harm but why cant o shea or kilbane be missing instead then we can try something new and worthwhile

if we get the right mix in midfield we will win

this is my team

Kenny

Finnan
Dunne
O'Brien
Kilbane

McGeady
A Quinn (if available)/O'Shea
Liam Miller
Duff

Keane
Morrison (assuming Doyle won't make it)

Still think that is good enough to win the game
have to concentrate 100% - show passion and then we will win

If we have A Reid and Doyle back for the Czech game then we have a chance but I really cannot see us beating the Czechs as it is as the moment

The midfield is so important but the defence also needs to be ultra strong to protect Kenny

Heart says - Cyprus 1 Ireland 3
Ireland 1 Czechs 0

Head says

Cyprus 1 Ireland 3

Ireland 1 Czechs 1 ( which in my opinion is not really good enough)

dr_peepee
03/10/2006, 7:29 PM
Anyone know anything about Tabb? Is he a winger? Attacking Midfielder?

Emmet
03/10/2006, 7:58 PM
I think Carr's withdrawl will be more significant in the Czech game because they'll be more of an attacking threat but it does mean now that Finnan will play at Right-back where he has been superb for Liverpool for the last two years or so ... so every cloud has a silver lining there I reckon. Losing Doyle is a big blow though ... hopefully Clinton will come in with a point to prove and have a stormer!!

soccerc
03/10/2006, 8:21 PM
Anyone know anything about Tabb? Is he a winger? Attacking Midfielder?

Tabb is an exciting winger/striker, was a bit light but has bulked up a bit.Very neat feet and good footballing brain.

theworm2345
03/10/2006, 9:08 PM
Tabb is an exciting winger/striker, was a bit light but has bulked up a bit.Very neat feet and good footballing brain.
He rarely if ever plays as a forward for Coventry. Whats wrong with Daryl Murphy, Shane Long, Steve Hunt, Billy Clarke or David Connolly? If he called up Tabb to fill the spot Quinn left I understand, but no need to have him as a forward with tons of other quality.

pineapple stu
03/10/2006, 9:09 PM
Head says

Cyprus 1 Ireland 3

Ireland 1 Czechs 1 ( which in my opinion is not really good enough)
Wish I had your faith...

Wonder does Tabb know yet?

Fergie's Son
03/10/2006, 9:11 PM
I believe both Connolly and Murphy are injured.

If they aren't then Staunton is an idiot.

theworm2345
03/10/2006, 9:13 PM
I believe both Connolly and Murphy are injured.

If they aren't then Staunton is an idiot.
Murphy started against Sheffield Wednesday (4 days ago), Connolly came on as a sub

gustavo
03/10/2006, 9:13 PM
I suppose Tabb is a left winger?!?

Fergie's Son
03/10/2006, 10:07 PM
Murphy started against Sheffield Wednesday (4 days ago), Connolly came on as a sub

Then I am lost for words.

He's a muppet.

Scram
03/10/2006, 10:12 PM
Carr's looked like he's been injured for the last 3 years anyway and hopefully he stays that way.

Doyle I hope is back for both games, maybe just a twist, still 2 days to recover and pass a fitness test PLEASE.

Soper
03/10/2006, 10:16 PM
Tabb is an odd choice.I wouldn't be surprised if Bertie gets called up next.

theworm2345
03/10/2006, 10:26 PM
Tabb is an odd choice.I wouldn't be surprised if Bertie gets called up next.
Haha, probably Podge and Rodge up front next match ;)

blobbyblob
04/10/2006, 8:23 AM
Tabb

Wasnt he on the X-Factor a couple of years ago from Sligo

drinkfeckarse
04/10/2006, 8:46 AM
Yet more absolutely bizarre decisions from Stan. So he calls up players for friendlies (Murphy etc) but then decides to forget all that and go with uncapped players like Tabb and Foley for important qualifiers. :rolleyes:

Is it any wonder a lot of the supporters are convinced you're totally out of your depth already :rolleyes: You really don't help yourself Stan.:mad:

Stuttgart88
04/10/2006, 8:55 AM
You can all be as cynical as you like but Tabb is a very talented player & will definitely be in the team in the future. Personally I'd have called up Murphy but then Lee is in the squad as the "tall option". Murphy has been injured recently and despite playing 74 mins on Saturday maybe this has been a consideration.

Realistically there are only about 15 players in contention to start on Saturday and whoever he called up wouldn't have been one of these so if Tabb benefits from the experience so be it.

At least Stan has now clarified exactly where he stands on Carsley.

drinkfeckarse
04/10/2006, 9:18 AM
That's not my point anyway, Tabb has received plenty of plaudits this season and I've read his manager praising him a couple of times. The point is that it is more inconsistency. Why is he calling up players that he didn't call up for any friendlies and leaving out the players he did!!!!!?????

In his short time as manager he regularly leaves me scratching my head and that hasn't happened with any previous boss.

Stuttgart88
04/10/2006, 9:19 AM
but then decides to forget all that and go with uncapped players like Tabb and Foley for important qualifiers. :rolleyes:

Is it any wonder a lot of the supporters are convinced you're totally out of your depth already :rolleyes:

I've commented on Tabb above. Maybe Shane Long could have been an option.

Who would you have called up as full-back cover with Carr now absent? Personally I rate Kevin Foley higher than I do Stephen Kelly, who has been injured until last week anyway.

Maybe it's the majority of supporters who are out of their depth as I'd bet many don't know who these guys are. But those of us who look beneath the surface are very aware of these guys' capabilities & potential. They've been U21 fixtures for ages.

Despite the baffling double-negative he came out with to The Examiner, I think this reconfigured squad, Carsley excepted, is perfectly consistent with (a) maximising the points haul from next week and (b) building for the future. This is what he's said all along.

I've been critical of Staunton's communication, buy maybe if the Irish media actually asked him the right questions at the right time, maybe his views on the squad wiould be better understood. The guy has been desperately unlucky with the uinjury situation. When was the last time Doyle missed a game? What about Shay Given? Give him a break until the games are actually over.

Stuttgart88
04/10/2006, 9:20 AM
Sorry, again I was typing before you responded!

drinkfeckarse
04/10/2006, 9:20 AM
At least Stan has now clarified exactly where he stands on Carsley.

At last :rolleyes: And not before he made himself look a mug. As has been mentioned, his communication skills seem to leave a lot to be desired.

drinkfeckarse
04/10/2006, 9:21 AM
Sorry, again I was typing before you responded!

Me too ;)

drinkfeckarse
04/10/2006, 9:24 AM
Who would you have called up as full-back cover with Carr now absent? Personally I rate Kevin Foley higher than I do Stephen Kelly, who has been injured until last week anyway.

As I mentioned above, my point was more about the inconsistency of it. I won't lie and say I've seen Foley but I've read plenty enough on here and elsewhere to know that he is a good prospect.

blobbyblob
04/10/2006, 9:24 AM
Me too ;)

Ahhhhhhhhh - cute

Stuttgart88
04/10/2006, 9:26 AM
As I mentioned above, my point was more about the inconsistency of it. I won't lie and say I've seen Foley but I've read plenty enough on here and elsewhere to know that he is a good prospect.

Kelly has just returned from injury. Maybe that explains it?

Foley has also been on consistently better form than Kelly. Maybe that explains it too?

CTP did say that Kelly had a good game against Leicester last w/e I accept.

drinkfeckarse
04/10/2006, 10:00 AM
Foley has also been on consistently better form than Kelly. Maybe that explains it too?

Then why didn't Stan call Foley up to the last squad when Kelly was injured. For the record, what I've seen so far of Kelly hasn't impressed me.

You surely not denying that Staunton's decisions are baffling at times Stutts? That's my whole point, not whether any player is or isn't good enough.

Stuttgart88
04/10/2006, 10:08 AM
Some decisions are odd, certainly.

But what leads to "bafflement" is the lack of communication about certain selections. Given the spate of withdrawals I'm not sure I'd have done much differently & what he has done I'm not overly opinionated on either way. Tabb & Foley get a recall? Not too fussed. It's interesting at least.

Carsley not in? At least it's been explained. He has an opinion & he's entitled to it.

McPhail not in? Maybe with Andy Reid coming back on stream next week maybe he thought it'd be pointless calling him up just for Cyprus only to send him home again.

When was the last friendly anyway? Holland. That was preseason so Foley's better subsequent form is ample justification for him being favoured over Kelly for this trip.

elroy
04/10/2006, 10:12 AM
I think we are probably going to end up fielding our worst CM partnership in the next two games in an awful long time.
My confidence in Stan isnt that good but I'm willing to give the guy a chance, I really he at very worst gets four points from the next two games.

I have no doubt Jay Tabb is a good option for the future etc but I really think it shouldve been McPhail or Carsley called up for these games.

NeilMcD
04/10/2006, 10:22 AM
Why are you being so stubborn, Stan?
Wednesday October 4th 2006
ADVERTISEMENT

Ireland goalkeeper Wayne Henderson in action during yesterday's training session in Malahide ,6 PAT MURPHY

Carsley recall would be 'kick in the teeth' to young pretenders, insists Ireland boss

WHEN Steve Staunton was assessing his catastrophic injury problems towards the end of yesterday's press briefing at Malahide, he rued the fact that he couldn't buy players to fill in the gaps.

He was responding to a question about the dearth of options he has available to him in the centre of midfield ahead of the upcoming European Championship qualifiers with Cyprus and the Czech Republic.

Yet the reality is that even if Staunton could wield the chequebook, a sharp accounting mind might point out that it may not be wise to flash the cash when the obvious solution is available on a free transfer. An experienced Premiership central midfielder who has indicated he would be willing to join the party.

That's right, it's the old Lee Carsley chestnut again. It just won't go away, especially given the latest update about Staunton's bruised and battered squad. If this isn't an emergency, then what is?

When he was included in the international fold, Carsley never provoked that much discussion. In fact, when he did it's fair to say that it was not exactly complimentary. The 32-year-old was not exactly the darling of the crowd or, as the Everton man recently pointed out, the press.

And it's also clear that a lot of humble pie has been consumed in the clamour to demand his recalling to the set-up.

Whether he ever will return would have to be a matter of serious doubt despite the player's contention on Monday that everything's fine and dandy between himself and Staunton.

"I'm not saying he's not in my plans," said the Louth man yesterday, resigned to answering another question on the issue. "As I said I'm going along with the lads I have and I'm going to give them a chance.

"They deserve a chance. They've been in the squad since I've took over the job and I'm looking forward to the future. It would be a kick in the teeth to the lads that are in there.

"They're going to have to grow up and take the bull by the horns. If they get their chance on Saturday and Wednesday, they'll have to get on with it and do it," he added.

Why has Carsley become such an issue again? Well, it's the fate of Stephen Carr which has unusually led to this situation.

With Carr out of the picture for Saturday, Steve Finnan looks sure to return to his normal role of right back, leaving the left back position he filled in Stuttgart vacant.

As Ian Harte is injured, the only players training yesterday that could fill in there are Kevin Kilbane and John O'Shea.

Springs

It is going to be one or the other unless Staunton springs a surprise and promotes either the uncapped Sean St Ledger or Kevin Foley into the starting fold at right back, leaving Finnan on the left side.

With O'Shea and Kilbane the most plausible midfield partnership, the absence of one will leave a vacancy in midfield to be battled out between Liam Miller, Jonathan Douglas and Stephen Ireland.

No doubt, it's the former pair that Staunton is referring to when he points out that there are players who would see it as a kick in the teeth if Carsley is restored. Miller and Douglas, often referred to in the plural and not as individual units, have been peripheral figures for some time now. "The only way they will get experience is by playing," said the gaffer.

"It's a rebuilding job as I've said all along, and they're only going to learn by playing.

"It's a pressure situation and they've got to deal with it, they're doing that every week at their club so this is another step, another level for them. Whoever takes their chance has to take it, then it's up to them," he continued.

Finally

Are they really doing it every week for their clubs? Ireland finally started for Manchester City at Everton last week but has spent most of the campaign to date on the bench.

Miller, since he joined Sunderland, has not exactly been deployed in a central role and has been pushed out more towards the right side of midfield. Douglas, to be fair, has been playing there at Leeds amid their turbulent start to the campaign. But he's likely to have to wait behind at least one of the other two anyway.

So in the case of Miller and Ireland, the likely favourites to stand in, it's not a situation where they can carry what they've been doing for their clubs to the international set-up. They would have to fulfil a role that they haven't really been given the opportunity to do for their employers.

Carsley has though, and that's the crux of the matter. To leave him out for Alan Quinn was a surprise, but the tragic death of the latter's mother Alice has removed that option to Staunton.

Square One

So it was back to square one, an opportunity to bring another player in. Once again though, Carsley wasn't going to get the call. There would be no climbdown from Stan.

Instead, he called for Jay Tabb, a promising talent with Coventry who is better known for his performances as a striker or on the right side of midfield.

While Carsley may not be Staunton's choice with the future in mind then even Stephen McPhail, riding high with promotion favourites Cardiff, would have been a more understandable selection to provide depth in the midfield area that struggled so badly in Stuttgart. Certainly, the rookie manager deserves sympathy for the terrible run of bad luck that has befallen his troops since he named his squad 10 days ago.

With two crucial games on the horizon, the last thing that he needed was a litany of experienced internationals to fall by the wayside. Only eight of the players available for selection on Saturday have started a competitive international before.

But if it goes wrong, Staunton cannot come out and say that the injuries left him with no other option. In the form of Carsley, there was a prospective get out of jail card available which he chose to ignore. He'll be hoping that it's a decision that doesn't come back to haunt him.

drinkfeckarse
04/10/2006, 10:26 AM
Some decisions are odd, certainly. Understatement

But what leads to "bafflement" is the lack of communication about certain selections. Given the spate of withdrawals I'm not sure I'd have done much differently & what he has done I'm not overly opinionated on either way. Tabb & Foley get a recall? Not too fussed. It's interesting at least.

I personally expect a manager in this day and age to explain his decisions although I take the point that the journo's should be asking him the tough questions. His stance on Paddy McCarthy not being "ready" but then calling up uncapped and untried players like St Ledger and Foley for qualifiers is baffling to say the least

Carsley not in? At least it's been explained. Belatedly

Maybe with Andy Reid coming back on stream next week maybe he thought it'd be pointless calling him up just for Cyprus only to send him home again.

The same Andy Reid he left out of previous squads without EXPLAINING

When was the last friendly anyway? Holland. That was preseason so Foley's better subsequent form is ample justification for him being favoured over Kelly for this trip. I'll give you that one ;)

We'll just have to agree to disagree. I can see exactly where you are coming from it's just that I see it differently!

Stuttgart88
04/10/2006, 10:29 AM
Fully accept the Andy Reid thing alright.

Soper
04/10/2006, 11:26 AM
I saw Tabb when he played against Cardiff, came on as sub in maybe the 112th or 16th minute, didn't impress.

Emmet
04/10/2006, 11:38 AM
Well ... it's the results that will judge him. By Saturday evening we'll all have a better idea of how useful these players are ...

eirebhoy
04/10/2006, 12:14 PM
Tabb is still eligible for our U21s isn't he? For such a young player he's certainly well respected.

http://www.griffinpark.org/forums/showthread.php?t=44357

Stuttgart88
04/10/2006, 2:08 PM
From breakingnews.ie:

Republic of Ireland striker Kevin Doyle has been forced to endure the chill of the Irish Sea in a bid to be fit for Saturday’s Euro 2008 qualifier against Cyprus.

The Reading forward sustained an ankle strain in Sunday’s 1-0 win at West Ham, making him a serious doubt to face the Cypriots at the GSP Stadium in Nicosia.

To hasten his recovery, Doyle yesterday, and again today, took a dip in the icy water off the coast at Malahide.

Doyle, who has enjoyed a superb start to the Barclays Premiership campaign in the wake of the Royals’ promotion with three goals to his name, later joined the rest of the Irish squad on the flight across to Cyprus.

Manager Steve Staunton said: “Hopefully a dip in the sea might help with the healing process.

“I’m not going to put a percentage figure on his chances of playing on Saturday. Let’s just say he is in with a chance.”

A leaf out of Kerr's book. I remember him saying he was a firm believer in the healing powers of the sea. An onwatcher had thought Damien Duff was trying to drown himself. Instead he was giving his hamstring the sea-treatment!

NeilMcD
04/10/2006, 2:12 PM
Its a pity its not colder as the colder the water the better also. I am sure he is in the ice baths also.

drinkfeckarse
04/10/2006, 2:20 PM
Doyle has an ankle injury...why didn't he put his foot in a bucket of iced water instead of going for a dip in the sea. It would seem the easier choice and more logical no??

Just an observation like, I'm not having another moan at Staunton!

NeilMcD
04/10/2006, 2:24 PM
Cause the sea also has healing powers and sea water is better than tap water or a bucket of ice.

drinkfeckarse
04/10/2006, 2:30 PM
Cause the sea also has healing powers and sea water is better than tap water or a bucket of ice.

:confused: I'd love someone with a Scientific background to come on and explain to me in plain English why the sea would be better than a bucket of iced water for an ankle injury with no skin wound coz it just sounds like an old wife's tale to me.

Over the post
04/10/2006, 2:31 PM
:confused: I'd love someone with a Scientific background to come on and explain to me in plain English why the sea would be better than a bucket of iced water for an ankle injury with no skin wound coz it just sounds like an old wife's tale to me.

I think it's something to do with Sellafield :eek:

Stuttgart88
04/10/2006, 2:34 PM
Could you lads meet halfway and agree that maybe a bucket of seawater would work?

Anyway here's the proof. It's on the web so it must be true :)

http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-pFAFVrY1crT1XYKeJvs-?cq=1&p=961

NeilMcD
04/10/2006, 2:40 PM

Its also much more enjoyable to go for a swim than it is to put your ankle in a bucket.

drinkfeckarse
04/10/2006, 2:44 PM
I wasn't trying to drag it off topic or even arguing about it really. Just thought it sounded daft!

drinkfeckarse
04/10/2006, 2:46 PM
I think it's something to do with Sellafield :eek:

That mightn't be far off the truth :D

NeilMcD
04/10/2006, 2:51 PM
Does not sound daft at all in my view. Hopping into the sea wont suddenly make a difference but it can speed up the process especially if its internal bleeding as it thins the blood.