PDA

View Full Version : Travelling support to European away game?

Pages : [1] 2

MariborKev
20/09/2006, 9:12 PM
Just a query lads.

Was wondering what the biggest travelling crowd an LOI team has taken to an away tie in continental Europe?

I assume that Shels took a fair crowd to Spain, any numbers?

Jaime
20/09/2006, 9:28 PM
Just a query lads.

Was wondering what the biggest travelling crowd an LOI team has taken to an away tie in continental Europe?

Would Gretna-Derry not walk it? Or were you waiting for someone else to say it? :rolleyes:

MariborKev
20/09/2006, 9:36 PM
Hence the reason I asked continental Europe..............:rolleyes:

LeixlipRed
20/09/2006, 9:47 PM
We had numerous bandwagon jumpers who happened to be on holidays out there and remembered that they were Shels fans in some distant past. I wasnt in Spain myself so I couldn't give an exact figure

garyderry
20/09/2006, 10:02 PM
Would Gretna-Derry not walk it? Or were you waiting for someone else to say it? :rolleyes:

I think he wants to know we we break that next week in Paris :D

Jaime
20/09/2006, 10:28 PM
Hence the reason I asked continental Europe..............:rolleyes:

:o ...

sfc red
21/09/2006, 1:22 AM
Just a query lads.

Up to a thousand I'd say.

seand
21/09/2006, 7:17 AM
I'm sure the Randy Brandywell on Tour will beat all records in Paris. I'd have contemplated going myself but the dates didn't suit.

Brilliant city, cheap to get to, brilliant stadium, good opposition, and still well in contention after the first leg.... what more could you ask for! One final piece of advice from the Oriel faithful..... GET INTO DEM.... THEY'RE EASY!

Cosmo
21/09/2006, 8:03 AM
I think he wants to know we we break that next week in Paris :D

And fair play to them - anyone know how many derry fans are estimated to be there?

DvB
21/09/2006, 8:10 AM
Rovers at Celtic was the record till recently.

We had a good few hundred in Stockholm about 5 years ago

437 Rovers fans exactly were at the game in the Rasunda in 2002.

refjohn
21/09/2006, 8:38 AM
And fair play to them - anyone know how many derry fans are estimated to be there?

Apparently 800 tickets sold yesterday (at least)
Looking like 1500 - 2000 plus any locals in Paris who buy Section E tickets to be in same section as Derry fans.

bohs til i die
21/09/2006, 9:04 AM
Bohs had roughly

650 in Aberdeen
100 in Kaiserslautern
125 in Tallinn [2001]
150 in Halmstad
80 in Seville
50 in Belarus
250 in Trondheim
100 in Tallinn [2004]
450 in Ghent

Peadar
21/09/2006, 9:45 AM
Officially, 506 away supporters at Nantes for our Intertoto Cup game in 2004

Dodge
21/09/2006, 10:09 AM
POintless wanky thread. Paris is aas easy to get to from Derry as Dublin is ffs so continental europe is no real parameter.

Krstic
21/09/2006, 10:20 AM
POintless wanky thread. Paris is aas easy to get to from Derry as Dublin is ffs so continental europe is no real parameter.

Please explain how?

Considering the majority of us have to travel to Belfast, Dublin or Shannon before going onto Paris.

I'm really intrerested in the logic behind your statement.

Dodge
21/09/2006, 10:27 AM
The point was that maribor was looking for praise for Derry fans for bringing fans to Paris than to Glasgow or Liverpool or any other British city. I'll rephrase it, its a wanky question as Paris is as easy to get to from Derry as Glasgow or Liverpool or any other British city.

The ONLY reason it was asked was he was fishing for compliments, therefore wanky pointless thread

Cosmo
21/09/2006, 10:35 AM
The point was that maribor was looking for praise for Derry fans for bringing fans to Paris than to Glasgow or Liverpool or any other British city. I'll rephrase it, its a wanky question as Paris is as easy to get to from Derry as Glasgow or Liverpool or any other British city.

The ONLY reason it was asked was he was fishing for compliments, therefore wanky pointless thread

Will ye cheer up :D

Out of interest, how many did pats bring to parkhead?

Tbh with us I noticed alot of day tripper supporters going to helsinki - alot of people who thought it would be a nice trip to bring the missus - sports event junkies really - would think paris would be the same for derry and fair play to them hope they bring a great crowd over. All wlcome of course but not many of them made it to belfield a couple of days later :mad: .Know alot of 'lads' that couldnt afford to go

osarusan
21/09/2006, 10:41 AM

wanky pointless post.

Dodge
21/09/2006, 10:48 AM
wanky pointless post.
Agreed but if I'm asked a question. Legaly, as a mod here, I have to answer. Legally.

To answer, just under 2,000 went to parkhead

Anto McC
21/09/2006, 11:17 AM
For once i agree with Dodge.

Pointless thread!

Jaime
21/09/2006, 11:43 AM
Another reason why it's a ballocks thread is because Derry (club & fans) attract a lot of goodwill (after all, they are on a mission to be everyone's second favourite team), and a fair chunk of their support in Paris will be fans of other eL clubs.

chippie0001
21/09/2006, 12:38 PM
roughly is right. :rolleyes:

Do you have to criticise every Bohs post. How many of those games were you at and so how many of those figures are wrong? Since I was at all bar one, I would say some are understated like Tallinn the first time rather than overstated.

NY Hoop
21/09/2006, 1:36 PM
Do you have to criticise every Bohs post. How many of those games were you at and so how many of those figures are wrong? Since I was at all bar one, I would say some are understated like Tallinn the first time rather than overstated.

Boez brought 20 fans to belarus. FACT:D

KOH

Krstic
21/09/2006, 1:48 PM

Wrong again Dodge.
There are direct flights from City of Derry airport to Galsgow and Liverpool but not to Paris.
So it's not as easy for us to get to Paris as it is to any of the other places you mentioned.

if you're going to make a point, at least make it factual.

Krstic
21/09/2006, 1:51 PM
This should help

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wright_brothers

No it doesn't help.

He stated that it's as easy for Derry fans to get to paris as it is to Liverpool or glasgow. which is factually incorrect.

The majority of Derry fans have to travel to Other cities in ireland and the Uk first and then on to Paris.

razor
21/09/2006, 2:05 PM
We had 819 in Prague last year.

Patrick Dunne
21/09/2006, 2:43 PM
A group of around 7 supporters went to the GUFC vs Odense Cup Winners Cup game in 1991. Two or three Irish people living in Denmark at the time may also have attended (no-one knows), perhaps pushing the away support up to double figures.

Dodge
21/09/2006, 2:50 PM
No it doesn't help.

He stated that it's as easy for Derry fans to get to paris as it is to Liverpool or glasgow. which is factually incorrect.

I apologise profusely. I stand by mai point that Paris is easy to get to. Argue if you like...

wws
21/09/2006, 2:55 PM
the initial point that this was a wanky thread is correct

.....quite funny though

osarusan
21/09/2006, 3:29 PM
Agreed but if I'm asked a question. Legaly, as a mod here, I have to answer. Legally.

I stand corrected!!

MariborKev
21/09/2006, 3:45 PM

Thanks for telling me what I was thinking there Dodge:rolleyes:

I was genuinely interested in the answer as a result of a conversation with some of the PSG lads last week. They remember the crowd that Cork brought to Nantes and had been surprised that Irish teams had such a following.

That got me thinking about other large European away crowds for LOI teams
-I was aware of Bohs at Aberdeen and Pats et al at Celtic, hence the reason I asked about continental thinking.

MariborKev
21/09/2006, 3:47 PM
Another reason why it's a ballocks thread is because Derry (club & fans) attract a lot of goodwill (after all, they are on a mission to be everyone's second favourite team), and a fair chunk of their support in Paris will be fans of other eL clubs.

Rubbish.

We have sold over 1000 tickets to our own supporters already. The tickets are only available from the club office and over the internet. Tickets purchased over the internet can only be done so by official club members not based in Derry.

How exactly are this "fair chunk" of fans going to get tickets, if PSG aren't selling them for Section F on the night?

BohsFans
21/09/2006, 6:00 PM
Boez brought 20 fans to belarus. FACT
KOH

:D lol this one always cracks me up, as it's a favourite homeless myth.

There were more than 20 there -FACT!

If you want to be petty and argue this further don't bother, I was there and you weren't :p simple as! :rolleyes:

CharlesThompson
21/09/2006, 6:37 PM
:D lol this one always cracks me up, as it's a favourite homeless myth.

If you want to be petty and argue this further don't bother, I was there and you weren't :p simple as! :rolleyes:

Stand down there young BohsFans. NY Hoop and rtid are in fact Bohs fans and have been to every Bohs game for the last 238 years. In fact I believe that they sewed the seed on ****er Dignams field after the potato blight of '47.

If NY Hoop - Bohs fan - says that 20 went to Belarus then he should know, he was three of them. If rtid says "roughly is right", then he should know. Although most of us hetrosexuals would have absolutley know idea what he was talking about.

So leave then to it and learn young BohsFans - these are not the men you are after!

Dodge
21/09/2006, 7:16 PM
Thanks for telling me what I was thinking there Dodge:rolleyes:

I was genuinely interested in the answer as a result of a conversation with some of the PSG lads last week. They remember the crowd that Cork brought to Nantes and had been surprised that Irish teams had such a following.

That got me thinking about other large European away crowds for LOI teams
-I was aware of Bohs at Aberdeen and Pats et al at Celtic, hence the reason I asked about continental thinking.

Fair enough Maribor, I apologise so.

Pablo
22/09/2006, 9:11 AM
We had 819 in Prague last year.

yeah that was the official attendance in the away end. Considering distance that'd be hard to beat.

gspain
22/09/2006, 9:44 AM
We had about 50-60 in Madrid in 1980. Only 7-8 at southampton in 1981 and 35 in Holland in 1982 but about half that in Alkmaar for the game.

My Dad ended up running the trip to Holland as the club went through a dublin travel agent and left the Local agent high and dry. My Dad was offered 2 free seats if he could sell the 30 seats on the trip. He expected a hard sell and planned on cajoling some of the regulars to travel.

He went on local radio described the trip - 3 nights in amsterdam etc. Within 2 hours the trip was full. My Dad was stunned with the response and in particular that many travelling wouldn't have been known to him as football fans.

He didn't realsie until we got there that it was some other attractions in Amsterdam which prompted people to travel. Many didn't make it to Alkmaar such are the museums and other places of interest in Amsterdam. :D

Krstic
22/09/2006, 10:21 AM
the initial point that this was a wanky thread is correct

.....quite funny though

Hi WWS, gone do us a wee favour and guarantee us that we'll get beaten tonight by Shels and again next thursday by PSG.

Know the way you GUARANTEEDthat we wouldn't win any trophies this season;)

Dee75
22/09/2006, 10:40 AM
Hi WWS, gone do us a wee favour and guarentee us that we'll get beaten tonight by Shels and again next thursday by PSG.

Know the way you GUARENTEED that we wouldn't win any trophies this season;)

Don't encourage him he might tell us we are going to win and as he know's F**K all about football he might be wrong!!:D

OneRedArmy
22/09/2006, 11:22 AM
Another reason why it's a ballocks thread is because Derry (club & fans) attract a lot of goodwill (after all, they are on a mission to be everyone's second favourite team), and a fair chunk of their support in Paris will be fans of other eL clubs.Tripe on both points.

On the 2nd point, unless you count a fair chunk as 10-12 out of 1,500, this won't be the case.

On us being on a mission to be everybodies 2nd team,
1)we're actually on a mission to win 4 trophies
2) I doubt Shels fans would agree; and
3) we can't help it if we can't emulate Bohs and ensure the presence of a little mob of hoods outside the ground stoning opposition fans and breaking into buses.

I'm not going to apologize for our fans generally behaving decently, making a lot of noise and supporting their team, although I personally couldn't give a monkies what fans of other clubs think of us.

Jaime
22/09/2006, 11:29 AM
4 trophies

I was going to use the word deluded, but I'll have to think of another word, or maybe invent one. :)

Pablo
22/09/2006, 11:30 AM
Tripe on both points.

On the 2nd point, unless you count a fair chunk as 10-12 out of 1,500, this won't be the case.

On us being on a mission to be everybodies 2nd team,
1)we're actually on a mission to win 4 trophies
2) I doubt Shels fans would agree; and
3) we can't help it if we can't emulate Bohs and ensure the presence of a little mob of hoods outside the ground stoning opposition fans and breaking into buses.

I'm not going to apologize for our fans generally behaving decently, making a lot of noise and supporting their team, although I personally couldn't give a monkies what fans of other clubs think of us.

Everyones second fav team is Cork City. No doubt about that ;)

NY Hoop
22/09/2006, 11:31 AM
this one always cracks me up, as it's a favourite homeless myth.

Simple as? You?

Charles that's almost funny. But anyone slagging anyone about their sexuality coming from someone calling themselves Charles is funny.

All boez fans wish they were Rovers fans:D Do you see the smilie this time? Roddy's gonna get you!

BTW we brought 150 to Wodzislaw and Liberec.

KOH

bigmac
22/09/2006, 11:35 AM
Everyones second fav team is Cork City. No doubt about that ;)

ahem..

:confused:

wws
22/09/2006, 11:44 AM
Hi WWS, gone do us a wee favour and guarentee us that we'll get beaten tonight by Shels and again next thursday by PSG.

Know the way you GUARENTEED that we wouldn't win any trophies this season;)

I guarantee you'll win fck all
(everyone knows the league cup doesnt count - dnt even go there)

OneRedArmy
22/09/2006, 11:45 AM
I was going to use the word deluded, but I'll have to think of another word, or maybe invent one. :)1 down, 3 to go.

One of the 3 will be a longshot :D but I'll be gutted if we don't win one of the other 2.

Anyway, I'll take deluded over embittered every day of the week.

Sheridan
22/09/2006, 12:03 PM
Without endorsing wws' WUMism, I got the distinct impression during the post Leage Cup final interview that I was witnessing Kenny's "I would love it" moment. He seemed to have lost his focus entirely. Plus I think he got a very easy ride for bottling a winning position on the last day of last season.

BohsFans
22/09/2006, 12:31 PM
Simple as? You?

BTW we brought 150 to Wodzislaw and Liberec.

KOH

no there were only 10 there -FACT! :) :rolleyes:

dcfcsteve
23/09/2006, 1:05 PM
a fair chunk of their support in Paris will be fans of other eL clubs.

Jaime - I admire your dexterity. It must be difficult to type with your foot consistently wedged in your mouth.....

Would 10-20 people out of 1,500 constitute "a fair chunk"...? :o

MariborKev
23/09/2006, 1:22 PM
Without endorsing wws' WUMism, I got the distinct impression during the post Leage Cup final interview that I was witnessing Kenny's "I would love it" moment. He seemed to have lost his focus entirely. Plus I think he got a very easy ride for bottling a winning position on the last day of last season.

No doubt Stephen Kenny was emotional after the League Cup final.

Gareth McGlynn, a first team member, was missing from his panel due to the sudden death of his father. His father dropped dead on the gold course on the Saturday is his early fifties.

This, only a month after the sudden death of Barry Molloy's mother.

I know "team spirit" is an alien concept for a supporter of Franchise FC. Watching a band of mercernaries and a mercenary manager does that to a person. Contrast that with a team were the majority of the team were born with 5 miles of the ground and many of those were Brandywell regulars in their youth. But that's what happens when you have a history. The team spirit at Derry City is absolutely brilliant. The players had just won the League Cup final having been reduced to 9 men.

The club; players, management and supporters were united and had achieved a victory against all the odds.

Yeah, I would prefer the negativity, monosyabllic Keely anyday:rolleyes: