-----Morrison----Keane-------

DmanDmythDledge
26/08/2006, 1:12 PM
My team if i was manager
-----------Given-----------
Finnan--O'Brien--Dunne--Kilbane

McGeady--S Reid--A Reid---Duff

-----Morrison----Keane-------
Who would you put CM instead of Andy Reid if you had to pick from the current squad?

gustavo
26/08/2006, 3:37 PM
Probably Kilbane and stick O Shea in LB

eirebhoy
26/08/2006, 4:04 PM
O'Shea started ahead of Evra at left back today.

Irish_Praha
26/08/2006, 7:13 PM
Who would you put CM instead of Andy Reid if you had to pick from the current squad?

Yeah it would be a choice between O'Shea and Kilbane - not much in it if you ask me. The same for the LB position now that Harte it out.
Peronally I'd play O'shea at LB and Kilbane in CMF but neither of the both of them fill me with confidence for either position.

Jon'o
26/08/2006, 7:31 PM
Andy Reid played a blinder for charlton today v bolton and set one of the goals up, his passing was spot on (shame some of the other players didnt share his vision).

He's prehaps a week off the pace of the rest of the team but has worked hard to catch up with them. A great signing for charlton and one i thought curbishley should have made a few years ago when he had the chance.

Dowie said today in the program that Reid was top of his transfer targets and expects big things for him.

Shame he wasnt picked for the germany game, but given todays performance stan should have another look for the next round of games

Littlest Hobo
26/08/2006, 7:48 PM
I'd play the following team

Given

Carr Dunne O'Brien Kilbane

Finnan S. Reid O'Shea Duff

Keane Doyle

rocketballs7
26/08/2006, 8:05 PM
Personally I think Stan has made a huge mistake in not taking Carsley into the squad. Hes playing great stuff at Everton and is exactly who we need to try and stop Ballack and Frings. O'Shea and Kilbane are not good enough for me, simple. In fact they are both s**t

rocketballs7
26/08/2006, 8:14 PM
Given

Carr Dunne O'Brien Finnan

McGeady S. Reid O'Shea Duff

Keane Doyle

Seeing as Carsley isnt in the squad it will have to be O'Shea in with Reid. Have nothing to lose so have to attack them with the boys on the wing. Otherwise we'll be stuffed and ill be crying in2 my German beer

Stuttgart88
26/08/2006, 8:40 PM
I'm not copping out here (I'll post my starting XI when I get back to work & have a bit if time to think - a fortnight ago I'd have had Kav & Morrisson but I'd have neither now). At least a disastrous friendly can at least point out who's NOT good enough.

For me, if everyone's fit there are now only 2 positions up for grabs - LB and CM alongside Steven Reid. Andy Reid's absence at least takes one option from the equation. I think we've noone better than Harte at left back but he's injured and Kilbane, though he has the attributes on paper, is a speculative option at LB. Ironically, Kerr's reign's biggest criticism from many was JOS at LB and KK at CM, yet both are emerging as serious options for Stuttgart!

I hope they go out 4-4-2 and are clever enough to read the game and adapt accordingly.

I guess I'd go with:

Given
Finnan Dunne O'Brien XXXX
McGeady Reid XXXX Duff
Robbie Doyle

If pressed right now I'd say I'm indifferent beteween JOS and KK at LB, and JOS and Miller for CM. Maybe Miller might just rise to the occasion. He has the talent but not the mentality to be trusted IMHO.

McPhail is playing very well for the Championship leaders!

rocketballs7
26/08/2006, 8:53 PM
Whats wrong with Alan Quinn? At least hes playing premiership football( albeit not much at that) but al least hes playing it, more than can be said for CMF contenders such as Miller and Douglas! I seem to rememeber a game in Amsterdam 2 yrs ago when he ran the show along with Graham Barret - yes Graham Barret- and Robbie. Dont think hes got a fair chance internationally but........ anyways neither O'Shea or Kilbane are good Enough so were 1 man down whoever plays of the two - hopefully not both

brine3
26/08/2006, 8:56 PM
yeah, gotta agree with that, alan quinn is a decent "meat and potatoes" midfielder, as good as, if not better than, anyone else in the squad anyway

Stuttgart88
26/08/2006, 9:19 PM
Agreeabout Quinn. Never content to play a neat sideways pass if a better attacking option is available but wheraes Douglas & Miller were both Leeds regulars last spring Quinn disappeared from SUFC's starting XI and this is what I think has cost him.

Steven Reid is key to our CM. If he can grab hold of a game like he has the talent but not necessarily the confidence to do, his partner could flourish. Miller, McPhail, Ireland, Quinn, Andy Reid etc. all have enough going for them to do well but only if the rest of the team is on top of the job. In an uphill battle I don't think any has the presence to cause trouble. I think all of the above would have looked good alongside RMK in his prime.

It's why JOS has been such a disappoinment. With his physique and athletic ability he should be more than capable of anchoring midfield but he's so bloody careless and sloppy.

dr_peepee
27/08/2006, 7:31 AM
Jeeze.... I watched UTD v Charlton the other night and I thought O'Shea played well in his role. He literaly took 2 or 3 touches and kept it simple every time. He broke up play very well but laid it off just as quick for someone else to bring the game on.

From that it says to me that we really need to get Andy Reid back in the fold to compliment O'Shea and Steven Reid. I think he can sit back and dictate some play and is not inclined to only run at people. We need somebody who's comfortable with the ball at their feet in a stationary position. We don't have that at the minute.

Stuttgart88
27/08/2006, 1:06 PM
Jeeze.... I watched UTD v Charlton the other night and I thought O'Shea played well in his role. He literaly took 2 or 3 touches and kept it simple every time. It's not his club form that concerns me. I've been one of the most measured on this forum in my assessment of O'Shea (one of only a small few vwho actually rtaed his performance against Sweden for example) but against Chile at CM he was absolutely lost. I don't doubt he CAN do it, I doubt whether he WILL do it. That said I'd happy if he's picked ahead of Kavanagh in Germany.

Stuttgart88
27/08/2006, 2:01 PM
Given his recent comments about wanting to return to the national team I think Lee Carsley should be given a chance in the anchoring role. He started the game for Everton at the weekend, played well and would add some much needed bite to our midfield.

Couldn't do any worse than Kav did the other day anyway...
2 years ago Everton had a super season & Carsley was virtually ever present. Last season he was absent throughout through injury and Everton were crap. Carsley is fit again and Everton have started excellently. Coincidence?

Reality Bites
28/08/2006, 9:20 AM
Team For Germany, Not 100% happy with it but:

Given

Carr O'Brien, Dunne Finnan

McGeady O'Shea S Reid Duff

Doyle Keane

Would very corncerned about O'Brien, and Carrs attitude, I dropped Kilbane because as player he has not got it to do the business in midfield as this level, McGeady could be a major thorn in the side of what now looks like a shakey German defence, O'Shea has had a pretty OK start to the season, But its enormous pressure on both him and Reid to get a grip on midfield.
Stan has to instill believe in this side Martin O'Neill style.. THis may be the place we fall short in my opinion.

McGeady10
28/08/2006, 9:41 AM
The biggest decision for Staunton is whether McGeady plays or not but to be honest it should be a very easy decision to make - McGeady simply has to start!!

This isn't some untried 20 year old nobody who's hit a bit of form. McGeady is a player of genuine class who happens to have a lot of experience for his age.

So far in his fledgling career he has had MOTM performances against Rangers in an Old Firm derby and against AC Milan in the Champions League. He was also Ireland's best player in his fist international start.

His pedigree is far higher than most of his collegues in the squad and he has more big game experience than a lot of them as well! He's got to start and if he doesn't it's a sign of absolute weakness from the manager.

Dr. Ogba
28/08/2006, 10:07 AM
The biggest decision for Staunton is whether McGeady plays or not but to be honest it should be a very easy decision to make - McGeady simply has to start!!

This isn't some untried 20 year old nobody who's hit a bit of form. McGeady is a player of genuine class who happens to have a lot of experience for his age.

So far in his fledgling career he has had MOTM performances against Rangers in an Old Firm derby and against AC Milan in the Champions League. He was also Ireland's best player in his fist international start.

His pedigree is far higher than most of his collegues in the squad and he has more big game experience than a lot of them as well! He's got to start and if he doesn't it's a sign of absolute weakness from the manager.

I take it you're a fan of McGeady's then?

McGeady10
28/08/2006, 10:58 AM
I take it you're a fan of McGeady's then?

Yes. He's the onform Irish midfielder at the moment and has got to not only start but be used as one of our main sources of attack! The bhoy has all the ability in the world and will be not just a good player but a great one.

Kerr fell on his own sword cause when the team needed inspiration against the Swiss and France the most naturally talented Irishman of all time was not even on the bench! Staunton can't make the same errors.

Let the legend begin!

NeilMcD
28/08/2006, 11:08 AM
K the most naturally talented Irishman of all time was not even on the bench! S

Let the legend begin!

Putting a bit of pressure on the boy

I think Liam Brady John Giles Ronnie Whelan Robbie Keane Damien Duff and many many more may be in with a shout for that honour and that is purely just football we are talking about.

Not to mention Yeats, Joyce, Wilde, Boyle, Morrison, Hewson, Evans, Lynott and many many more. Some hell of a compliment you have given the young boy from Glasgow.

Just to Clarify that is Van Morrison and not Clinton.

eirebhoy
28/08/2006, 11:10 AM
Aye, calm down there! :)

McGeady10
28/08/2006, 11:44 AM
Putting a bit of pressure on the boy

I think Liam Brady John Giles Ronnie Whelan Robbie Keane Damien Duff and many many more may be in with a shout for that honour and that is purely just football we are talking about.

Not to mention Yeats, Joyce, Wilde, Boyle, Morrison, Hewson, Evans, Lynott and many many more. Some hell of a compliment you have given the young boy from Glasgow.

Just to Clarify that is Van Morrison and not Clinton.

History will judge the above and I'm sure the Donegal man will come out on tops!

I first watch McGeady as a 10 year old in Glasgow Catholics Schools Assocition Great Glasgow Cup Final and have continued to watch him since then and I have unwavering faith in his ability :D

NeilMcD
28/08/2006, 11:59 AM
Yes but did you watch all the others from that age. Fair enough you think he is a good player and the potential to be great, but to say he is teh most naturally talented Irish man of all time is way over the top at this stage of his career.

McGeady10
28/08/2006, 12:02 PM
Yes but did you watch all the others from that age. Fair enough you think he is a good player and the potential to be great, but to say he is teh most naturally talented Irish man of all time is way over the top at this stage of his career.

We'll agree to disagree. As I said it's not for me or you to judge... When McGeady's career is over history will tell whether I'm correct or not.

Rambler1
28/08/2006, 7:20 PM
The creativity comes from McGeady & Duff. Reid & Kilbane win it, play it simple and leave it to the trickery of the wide men. If we have to go long then Morrison can win his fair share, not seen enough of Doyle to know if he could be effective like that.

And to be honest what creative midfielders do we have, that are being displaced - I can't think of any, Miller perhaps? If thats it, I'd be happier with KK & SR.
How about Stephen Ireland of Man City?

colster
29/08/2006, 11:56 AM
This is the ireland team i wud pick against the germans;

------------Given

Carr Dunne O`brien Finnan

--------------O`Shea
McGeady Reid---------Duff
------------keane

------------Doyle

Looks good to me.

NeilMcD
29/08/2006, 12:12 PM
Only change I would make is I would play Finnan at right back and Kilbane and left full. Carr has not been great for iireland recently and I would prefer one of our best players in his rightful spot, right back. Kilbane has pace and height and a left full so I would give him the left back spot.

joema
29/08/2006, 12:14 PM
I would pick

Given
Carr Dunne O'Brien Finnan
McGeady S. Reid A. Reid (but not in the squad - total joke)Duff
Keane
Doyle

DmanDmythDledge
29/08/2006, 3:51 PM
Only change I would make is I would play Finnan at right back and Kilbane and left full....Kilbane has pace and height and a left full so I would give him the left back spot.
Kilbane has the right attributes for a LB, but his positioning was all over the place against Holland.

NeilMcD
29/08/2006, 4:02 PM
Yeah I agree with you on that but I feel with Dunne at the back talking he would be fine in my opinion. Carrs positioning is all over the place at times in my view.

tetsujin1979
31/08/2006, 9:39 AM
In a practise game against a local youth side, the Irish team lined out with the midfield and strikers as:
.........Keane..Doyle
Duff..O'Shea..Reid..McGeady

Interestingly enough, Damien Duff's younger brother Jamie came on for the opposition.