PDA

View Full Version : Team for Germany

Pages : [1] 2

Junior
18/08/2006, 12:57 PM
I know this has been mentioned in a few different threads. Thought it might be worth keeping them in one place. Here's mine............

GK GIVEN
LB HARTE
CB DUNNE
CB O'BRIEN
RB FINNAN
LM DUFF
CM S REID
CM KILBANE
RM McGEADY
CF KEANE
CF DOYLE

- This might be too attack minded for away to Germany, so possibly could replace McGeady with Finnan and slot Carr at RB

- Doyle just shades it ahead of Morrison/Elliott for me but I'd expect see either of these replace Doyle at some point in the game.

- KK is required in CM purely for his energy, pace, ability to tackle and win his fair share in the air. I have him there to breakdown Germany's play & win back posession, nothing more.

Irish_Praha
18/08/2006, 1:18 PM
I know this has been mentioned in a few different threads. Thought it might be worth keeping them in one place. Here's mine............

GK GIVEN
LB HARTE
CB DUNNE
CB O'BRIEN
RB FINNAN
LM DUFF
CM S REID
CM KILBANE
RM McGEADY
CF KEANE
CF DOYLE

- This might be too attack minded for away to Germany, so possibly could replace McGeady with Finnan and slot Carr at RB

- Doyle just shades it ahead of Morrison/Elliott for me but I'd expect see either of these replace Doyle at some point in the game.

- KK is required in CM purely for his energy, pace, ability to tackle and win his fair share in the air. I have him there to breakdown Germany's play & win back posession, nothing more.

This is almost exactly the team I suggested in the thread for the recation to the Holland game. Except I picked O'Shea at LB instead Harte but neiter is the stand-out cadidate for that position and both their strengths and weaknessess have been already discussed on here. So, it makes no major difference to me whichever one of them starts.

My comments on Kilbane were also similar to yours. We need to steady the ship, protect the defence and stop Germany from playing. So just put Kilbane in there to be a big akward nuisance. Reid shouldn't get too far forward either but take a few pot shots from 20+ meters and maybe the wingers can create something for the 2 forwards to feed off.

concanta
18/08/2006, 1:34 PM
I would be happy with that

Another thing - through all the doom and gloom it's nice to see mcgeady start to shine a bit - he can be a very good player for us

Schumi
18/08/2006, 1:39 PM
GK GIVEN
LB HARTE
CB DUNNE
CB O'BRIEN
RB FINNAN
LM DUFF
CM S REID
CM KILBANE
RM McGEADY
CF KEANE
CF DOYLE
Exactly the team I picked despite not rating a lot of them. I only chose Harte because of his free kicks, an empty space would as well defensively as any of our left backs.

Paulie
18/08/2006, 1:44 PM
I heard this morning that Harte was out of the game (how true this is I don't know though). If this is the case I'd go for Finnan at left full with Carr on the other side. Otherwise I'd go along with that line up. I have a feeling though that O'Shea will start at either CB or CM depending on Dunne's availability.

Norman
18/08/2006, 2:14 PM
Sky Sports news at lunchtime said Duff, Given & Carr to line out for Newcastle this weekend. They also added there is a serious doubt whether Robbie Keane will be fit for Spurs, if he dosn't play, Spurs will not release him for International duty. Keanes absence in Stuttgart would be a serious blow. Stephen Reid is also doubtful due to knock he picked up on weds.
:(

eirebhoy
18/08/2006, 2:16 PM
I heard this morning that Harte was out of the game (how true this is I don't know though). If this is the case I'd go for Finnan at left full with Carr on the other side. Otherwise I'd go along with that line up. I have a feeling though that O'Shea will start at either CB or CM depending on Dunne's availability.
Dunne is back training and expected to start this weekend for City.
Kilbane I suppose is the best option to partner Reid in Germany and harass Ballack for the 90 minutes.

drinkfeckarse
18/08/2006, 2:24 PM
Sky serious doubt whether Robbie Keane will be fit for Spurs, if he dosn't play, Spurs will not release him for International duty

I don't think it's as simple as that, I'm sure Ireland's medical team would want to assess him themselves and it's 2 weeks away anyway.

NeilMcD
18/08/2006, 2:26 PM
Yeah sure there are 3 premiership games to go before the clubs release players so he has a week to get fit. I think RObbie will be fit unless he has a set back as he is back training today.

Fergie's Son
18/08/2006, 2:52 PM
The spurs games is one of the games on TV tomorrow. Wanted to see Robbie :mad:

With Kilbane and Reid in the middle though you are throwing away any effort at creativity other than long balls to the forwards. We currently have small forwards, the long ball just won't work.

Junior
18/08/2006, 3:28 PM
The spurs games is one of the games on TV tomorrow. Wanted to see Robbie :mad:

With Kilbane and Reid in the middle though you are throwing away any effort at creativity other than long balls to the forwards. We currently have small forwards, the long ball just won't work.

The creativity comes from McGeady & Duff. Reid & Kilbane win it, play it simple and leave it to the trickery of the wide men. If we have to go long then Morrison can win his fair share, not seen enough of Doyle to know if he could be effective like that.

And to be honest what creative midfielders do we have, that are being displaced - I can't think of any, Miller perhaps? If thats it, I'd be happier with KK & SR.

Irish_Praha
18/08/2006, 3:28 PM

Fair enough and normally I would also be disappointed if we went into a game with the main aim of just stopping the other team playing, without expecting to create much ourselves. It almost sounds like an Andorra plan :)
However, from what I saw in the Dutch game that is our best chance. We had no defence, no midfield, no supply to the forwards through the middle or from the wings. All these problems cannot be fixed in 2 or 3 training sessions. No doubth the return of a few key players will improve us but I just can't see us playing as a complete unit all of a sudden. If we are to make any major improvements it will come over a few games when the team gets to play together and the new lads get a few more caps. I'm not saying we should just sit back and defend for the whole game, that would be suicide. I just mean that the the two CM players should be there to break up the German play in the middle of the park and to protect the defence when needed and Reid should be encouraged to take the odd long-range shot. When possible get the ball ot to the wings and let McGeady and Duff create chances for the front two and maybe we might get a goal I admit these sort of tactics can result in us sitting too deep and put us under constant pressure. If so then Stan has to be willing to put someone else on early for Kilbane, the question is who :confused: Also, If we are somehow on top or the Germans are playing bad we can bring on someone a bit more creative to exploit that.:D

We can then work on being more creative and develop our own playing style against the weaker teams and not have Kilbane anywhere near CMF. Also I think it is very important that we get a few early goals against the weaker teams becase this will be a good chance to blood some of the younger lads during the qualifiers. I'm not sure howmany friendlies we will have and if they will come too late.
Hopefully aginst San Marino we will be 2/3-0 up at half time and then we can bring on McCarthy or whoever. Maybe by the middle of the campaign we will have a decent side and will have a chance of qualifying.

A lot of if's and maybe's!!

gufct
18/08/2006, 3:36 PM
centarl midfield/Centre Defence and Left Back are the three most important areas and A Dunne/O'Brien & Kilbane /Reid Combination would strengthen the team and leave a strong spine.As for left back id have Harte and if hes not fit i wouldnt switch Finnan but maybe put O'Shea in there. Finnan is the best right back in England miles ahead of Carr who like O'Shea has gone back at an alarming Rate.

As for the doom mongers cop on its only 2 games we have lost and y'days Star was an absolute Disgrace I doubt Dunphy even watched the game.

SeanieBoy
18/08/2006, 4:44 PM

GK GIVEN
LB HARTE
CB DUNNE
CB O'BRIEN
RB FINNAN
LM DUFF
CM S REID
CM KILBANE
RM McGEADY
CF KEANE
CF DOYLE

That's pretty much the team I would go for, maybe with Kav in CM instead of KK!!

thelimerick
18/08/2006, 5:22 PM
That's pretty much the team I would go for, maybe with Kav in CM instead of KK!!

You'd be wasting your time putting "Kav" anywhere on that pitch, he's not a good player and on top of that he's past it. So not only is he completely ineffective he's slow too.
I think Kilbane is an awfull player too so we're not blessed by any means. However if Kilbane was kicked up the arse enough before the match he might actually rise to the occasion. He has, in the past, shocked us when we were all sure he'd fall apart.
As far as I'm concerned try anyone, any youth player with a bit of talent over Kavanagh, Kilbane, Morrison, Harte and O'Shea. Five players that are so poor they are an asset to our opponents. I see no merit whatsoever in their inclusion to the squad.

gustavo
18/08/2006, 11:42 PM
Given

Finnan
Harte
O Brien
Dunne

McGeady
Duff
S Reid
A Reid

Keane
Morrison

highlight100
19/08/2006, 1:16 AM
[QUOTE=Junior;518091]I know this has been mentioned in a few different threads. Thought it might be worth keeping them in one place. Here's mine............

GK GIVEN
LB HARTE
CB DUNNE
CB O'BRIEN
RB FINNAN
LM DUFF
CM S REID
CM KILBANE
RM McGEADY
CF KEANE
CF DOYLE

- KK is required in CM purely for his energy, pace, ability to tackle and win his fair share in the air. I have him there to breakdown Germany's play & win back posession, nothing more.[/Q

The same except 0'SHEA at CB instead of O'BRIEN,he is not a bad player and has too come good in the green sometime??
And maybe ANDY REID at RM for expierence....

Closed Account 2
19/08/2006, 8:50 AM
I'd go:-

GK GIVEN
LB HARTE
CB DUNNE
CB O'BRIEN
RB FINNAN
LM DUFF
CM S REID
CM KILBANE
RM McGEADY
CF KEANE
CF MORRISON

Keane is the big worry in terms of injury, if he is out I go with Doyle and Morrison upfront. I'd pick Harte simply because I think his set plays would give us a huge chance of scoring and I dont think we have too much else that is better in terms of defense.

I'd play Clinton ahead of Doyle, just because he had a good record of scoring important goals for us (eg v the Swiss away last time) and I think he might be a bit sharper having played 6 or so game for Palace by then.

eirebhoy
19/08/2006, 12:44 PM
Harte has been ruled out according to elevenaside.

We seen in the world cup that the best way to score against Germany is with pacy forwards so I wouldn't start Morrison. If Keane is unavailable I'd start Elliott with Doyle but I don't see that happening.

mjpcc
19/08/2006, 1:06 PM
I can not believe how many people are picking Ian Harte for the starting eleven. Just go back over the last five years postings to and see what a problem he has been for us at left back.

He is not a good defender and the Germans would eat him for breakfast.
Their fast aggressive attacks will expose him completely.

Much better to have Kilbane or even O Shea.

GK GIVEN
LB KILBANE
CB DUNNE
CB O'BRIEN
RB FINNAN
LM DUFF
CM S REID (IF he is available/ if not O Shea)
CM A REID
RM McGEADY
CF KEANE
CF DOYLE

With Keane, Duff, Dunne and Given back the team will be a different kettle of fish to the one that took the field (I was going to say played - but decided that was inappropriate) against Holland.

Anyway you look at it we will be verrrrrrrrrrry lucky to get out of Stuttgart with a point.

theworm2345
19/08/2006, 4:17 PM
At least we dont have worry about Terry Dixon
http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=980
Hell be playing in the u21 match a day before

DmanDmythDledge
19/08/2006, 5:26 PM
GK: Given
RB: Finnan
CB: McCarthy
CB: Dunne
LB: O'Shea
RM: McGeady
CM: S. Reid
CM: Ireland
LM: Duff
FW: Keane
FW: Doyle

shakermaker1982
19/08/2006, 7:24 PM
GK Given
RB Finnan
CB Dunne
CB O'Brien (last chance saloon)
LB O'Shea (ditto)

RM MacGeady
CM S Reid
CM Ireland (neat ball player - prefer over Kav and KK)
LM Duff

FW Keane
FW Doyle

O'Brien and O'Shea fill me with dread. Every time they are on the ball I expect something to go wrong! Harte is an option at LB because of his set piece usefullness but I wouldn't wanna risk him in such a big game where we will be under the kosh.

Irish_Praha
19/08/2006, 8:02 PM
Well the good new from today is that Duff, Given and S. Reid all started, and Keane and A. Reid both came on as second half subs. Keane impressed in his 30 or so mins but Reid didn't make much of an impact. I hope he is just settling in and gets a few starts before the German game. We will have to see if Dunne and Ireland make it for tomorrow. Also, Doyle had a very good first game in the EPL. The Doc was part of a Norwich defence that didn't conceed any goals, as was McCarthy last night, getting man of the match but yet another yellow. The bad news is it looks like Elliott is injured again because he didn't even make the squad for the Sunderland game?

DeNiro
19/08/2006, 8:53 PM
Don't worry about Elliott being injured. The less Sunderland players the better at the moment. Did Morrison play for Palace today? It will be interesting to see if Dunne plays tomorrow. He'll have to deal with Shevcenko, good practice for dealing with Klose in a fortnight

DmanDmythDledge
19/08/2006, 8:55 PM
Did Morrison play for Palace today? It will be interesting to see if Dunne plays tomorrow. He'll have to deal with Shevcenko, good practice for dealing with Klose in a fortnight
Morrison played last 5 minutes and Dunne expected to figure tomorrow.

tetsujin1979
20/08/2006, 2:00 PM
The bad news is it looks like Elliott is injured again because he didn't even make the squad for the Sunderland game?
you sure about that? He played the entire game according to the Sunderland review!
Read it here: http://www.safc.com/match/?page_id=10214&fixture=2686176&t=6

Irish_Praha
20/08/2006, 3:24 PM
you sure about that? He played the entire game according to the Sunderland review!
Read it here: http://www.safc.com/match/?page_id=10214&fixture=2686176&t=6

Oops my bad! :o

I just had a quick look at the lineup on Sportinglife and saw that the strikers were Stead and Murphy and didn't see Elliott listed in the subs.

Irish_Praha
20/08/2006, 3:25 PM
Dunne on from the start today and Ireland on the bench. Thank God!

DeNiro
20/08/2006, 6:26 PM
Stephen Ireland played for City today. Always looking to tread balls through but was largely over run by the Chelsea centres. He does offer a creative option that we haven't had for a while. I hope he doesn't go the way of McPhail, who promised so much. I think he would be a decent option on the bench. Hopefully all the squad will get through next two sets of EPL games without injury.

Team v Germany

Given

Finnan
Dunne
O'Brien
Kilbane

McGeady
Reid, S.
O'Shea / Carsley
Duff

Keane
Doyle

Subs: Kenny, Ireland, McCarthy, Carr, Reid, A. Morrison.

Staunton really cannot ignore Paddy McCarthy much longer. Man of the match yesterday. I wonder if someone like Rory Delap is an option, on experience alone. Maybe McPhail as well.

Junior
20/08/2006, 8:40 PM
He only had 18 minutes though, seen one good through ball he played.

pineapple stu
20/08/2006, 8:55 PM
I wouldn't give out any debuts - not the place for it. Despite Wednesday's game, I still think Kilbane could do an effective job at left-back for us, as he did in the World Cup. I always liked Kav - don't really know why. I think a lot of the reaction to Wednesday's game has been over the top - yes, he was poor, but if you dropped everyone who was poor, you'd have no-one left.

I'd treat this game as a friendly, to be honest - we're not expected to get anything, so let's just put out our top team and concentrate on them gelling and getting Stan's ideas into their heads. The Cyprus game away is more important, and we will lose that if we play anything like we did against Holland.

So that gives...

Given

Finnan
O'Brien
Dunne
Kilbane

McGeady/A Reid
S Reid
Kavanagh
Duff

Keane
Doyle

Would look at bringing on Morrison and A Reid/McGeadyduring the second half, as they're the players nearest the first XI and a game in Germany would stand them in good stead over the campaign. O'Brien had a good showing against Holland and, especially if the game's lost with 20 minutes to go, I'd consider throwing him into the fray too.

theworm2345
20/08/2006, 9:23 PM
Anyone know when the squad will be released? I assume next Monday or Tuesday, after everyone is done with their matches

Colbert Report
20/08/2006, 9:28 PM
Richard Dunne was crap today against Chelsea, we don't have anyone else really though.

DmanDmythDledge
20/08/2006, 9:28 PM
I wouldn't give out any debuts - not the place for it. Despite Wednesday's game, I still think Kilbane could do an effective job at left-back for us, as he did in the World Cup.
If you're good enough making your debut shouldn't be a problem as far as I'm concerned(most of the time). Kilbane didn't play LB at the WC if I'm remember correctly, correct me if I'm wrong. I think Kilbane did a decent job at LB against Chile because they aren't that good and got found wanting against a good player in Van Persie.

Anyone know when the squad will be released? I assume next Monday or Tuesday, after everyone is done with their matches
Monday AFAIK.

Dallasirish
21/08/2006, 12:54 AM
The team should be

Given

Finnan
Dunne (needs to improve on todays performance for city!)
Mc Carthy (Man of the match Again Saturday!)
O Shea

Duff
Reid
kilbane
Mc Geady

Doyle
Keane

Players need to be picked on there current form not on what they use to do. I disagree that its the wrong place for debuts. We are ****3 at the back and if Mc Carthy can get stuck in and change that WHY would Stauton ignore him? WHY is he puttin in Carsley, and young o brien when we not only dont have a good CB but we dont even have options on the bench!!

Its a good job we have a world class keeper in Shay Given and lets all hope he has a huge game because he is going to be the busiest man is Stuttgart on Sept 2nd.

Still think that even if Shay was playin on his toblerown on Wednesday he would not have let 4 in!!

geysir
21/08/2006, 8:51 AM
Richard Dunne was crap today against Chelsea, we don't have anyone else really though.
I wouldn't be that worried yet about Dunne. As we have seen a few times he isn't the fastest to get match sharp after return from injury. Hopefully another full club game will get him close enough.

Dr. Ogba
21/08/2006, 9:09 AM
Being realistic I think he'll pick the following:

Given

Carr
O'Brien
Dunne
Finnan

McGeady
Reid
O'Shea
Duff

Keane
Doyle

I'm not a fan of shunting Finnan to LB but with Harte out and Kilbane being crap I think he's our only option. I think it would be a bit of a risk to throw Ireland into the mix, maybe try him in the first home game to inject a bit of creativity in there.

Game plan: Give the ball to McGeady and Duff ALL THE TIME!!!!!! And dare I say it..."put 'em under pressure"!!!!:o

Edit: Would also consider Andy Reid depending on how his fitness is looking in a couple of weeks time....may be a bit soon for him though...

RoppongiRebel
21/08/2006, 9:22 AM
Well the good new from today is that Duff, Given and S. Reid all started, and Keane and A. Reid both came on as second half subs. Keane impressed in his 30 or so mins but Reid didn't make much of an impact. I hope he is just settling in and gets a few starts before the German game. We will have to see if Dunne and Ireland make it for tomorrow. Also, Doyle had a very good first game in the EPL. The Doc was part of a Norwich defence that didn't conceed any goals, as was McCarthy last night, getting man of the match but yet another yellow. The bad news is it looks like Elliott is injured again because he didn't even make the squad for the Sunderland game?

I note everyone is saying what good news it is that Keane, Duff, Dunne and Given all started at the weekend. Maybe I am too much of a conspiracy theorist but isn't it a tad worrying that they were all much too injured to play on Wed but ALL were fit by the weekend? Anyone else wonder if they've already made their mind up re Super Stan?

Dr. Ogba
21/08/2006, 9:30 AM
I note everyone is saying what good news it is that Keane, Duff, Dunne and Given all started at the weekend. Maybe I am too much of a conspiracy theorist but isn't it a tad worrying that they were all much too injured to play on Wed but ALL were fit by the weekend? Anyone else wonder if they've already made their mind up re Super Stan?

I wuoldn't really buy into this to be honest..I think it more reflects on how stupid it was to have a pre-season friendly on 3 days before the start of the Premiership season...

pineapple stu
21/08/2006, 12:53 PM
If you're good enough making your debut shouldn't be a problem as far as I'm concerned(most of the time).
I still don't think such a big game is the place to throw someone in who hasn't even been in the squad, as is the case, I think, with McCarthy. Bad memories of what it did to Kilbane (v Iceland in '97) and Holland (v Macedonia in 01).

Kilbane didn't play LB at the WC if I'm remember correctly, correct me if I'm wrong.
I think Ian Harte was subbed off for Quinn in the last three games. Duff moved to left wing and Kilbane dropped to left-back.

Kingdom
21/08/2006, 2:41 PM
From the squad he has chosen, I think the best match day team/squad would be this :

Given

Finnan
Dunne
O'Brien
O'Shea

McGeady
Reid
Kilbane
Duff

Keane
Doyle

Subs: Kenny, Doherty, Harte, Kavanagh, Ireland, Morrison, Elliot
I was quite happy to see the other thread about Morrison, as it was something I'd thought of quite often, but more often than not tried to convince myself out of it. The stupid theatrics when something goes wrong was a constant with Morrison and to be honest Doyle just seems to be a better player.

The reason I think we should have O'Shea and Kilbane in the team has a few reasons. With O'Shea he is no worse at left back than Harte, and I would prefer to see Finnan in his natural position than to be moved across at this stage. He is the best rb in the EPL, and with Carr getting worse the reasons for moving him across the back four diminish for me. I would select both Killer and O'Shea for their height just as much as anything else. We have a small team in comparison to recent years so the height they add would be much needed.
Kilbane as others have pointed out is better in the workhorse role than John O'Shea.

Junior
21/08/2006, 4:39 PM
From the squad he has chosen, I think the best match day team/squad would be this :

Given

Finnan
Dunne
O'Brien
O'Shea

McGeady
Reid
Kilbane
Duff

Keane
Doyle

Subs: Kenny, Doherty, Harte, Kavanagh, Ireland, Morrison, Elliot
I was quite happy to see the other thread about Morrison, as it was something I'd thought of quite often, but more often than not tried to convince myself out of it. The stupid theatrics when something goes wrong was a constant with Morrison and to be honest Doyle just seems to be a better player.

The reason I think we should have O'Shea and Kilbane in the team has a few reasons. With O'Shea he is no worse at left back than Harte, and I would prefer to see Finnan in his natural position than to be moved across at this stage. He is the best rb in the EPL, and with Carr getting worse the reasons for moving him across the back four diminish for me. I would select both Killer and O'Shea for their height just as much as anything else. We have a small team in comparison to recent years so the height they add would be much needed.
Kilbane as others have pointed out is better in the workhorse role than John O'Shea.

I would go with that. Though Harte is not in the squad so can't be on the bench. I suppose Carr or S Kelly would be the obvious choice.

Kaiser
21/08/2006, 5:27 PM
Given his recent comments about wanting to return to the national team I think Lee Carsley should be given a chance in the anchoring role. He started the game for Everton at the weekend, played well and would add some much needed bite to our midfield.

Couldn't do any worse than Kav did the other day anyway...

4tothefloor
21/08/2006, 7:44 PM
I think Staunton will go with 4-5-1 and will look to the wide men to support Keane up front when possible. This is the side I think he'll pick.

GK Given

RB Carr
CB Dunne
CB O'Brien
LB Finnan

RW McGeady
CM S Reid
CM O'Shea
CM Kilbane
LW/SS Duff

ST Keane

Subs: Kenny, Doherty, S Kelly, Ireland, A O'Brien, Doyle, Morrison

For the record: Wouldn't have Carr or Kilbane near the team myself, but we can't be choosers at this stage....

cheifo
21/08/2006, 11:14 PM
I hope Stan does not get it into his head that he will have to play Finnan at RM to curb Phillip Lambe.I think Doyle and Keane can cause them problems and hopefully a rejuvenated Duff with McGeady on the other wing.Kavanagh is
not an option IMO.I would have like to see McPhail included -maybe to come of the bench.

dr_peepee
22/08/2006, 1:33 AM
I think it's gonna be an effort in damage limitation.. With Given, Carr, Dunne, O'Brien, Finnan, Duff, Reid, O'Shea, Keane, Doyle... The last midfield place will truly be indicitave of Stans intenitions on the night. But as much as we'd like the trickery of McGeady to mirror Duff on the other flank, or even the inventiveness of a Steven Ireland (Or the absent Andy Reid) I think he'll opt for the one of our many industrious drones and try sneak out of there with a draw.

mjpcc
24/08/2006, 1:08 PM
The last couple of days in the premiership have been good for Ireland.

O Shea, S. Reid, Kilbane and Doyle all played last night and O Shea and Doyle seemed to do very well and Kilbane had a reasonable game on the left wing - I'm only going on reports so I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who saw any of them play.

It seems Steven Reid has not hit form yet. Any comments?

Steve Finnan should be ok for the next game and even Andy Reid might be back for the weekend - hopefully giving Stan an option if anyone is injured before the sqad gets together.

All in all we are probably in the best shape we can be in heading for Germany. Nobody gives us the slighest chance so the team have nthing to loose.

Dr. Ogba
24/08/2006, 1:22 PM
The last couple of days in the premiership have been good for Ireland.

O Shea, S. Reid, Kilbane and Doyle all played last night and O Shea and Doyle seemed to do very well and Kilbane had a reasonable game on the left wing - I'm only going on reports so I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who saw any of them play.

It seems Steven Reid has not hit form yet. Any comments?

Steve Finnan should be ok for the next game and even Andy Reid might be back for the weekend - hopefully giving Stan an option if anyone is injured before the sqad gets together.

All in all we are probably in the best shape we can be in heading for Germany. Nobody gives us the slighest chance so the team have nthing to loose.

yeah it seems our important players are hitting form at the right time which is great news...Also the fact that we got spanked in the last match means expectations are low so the lads can play with a bit more freedom....Maybe this was all part of the Staunton masterplan from the beginning!! ;)

RogerMilla
24/08/2006, 3:37 PM
we're all part of the masterplan....