PDA

View Full Version : Ireland 0 - Holland 4 Reaction

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

strangeirish
18/08/2006, 12:22 AM
No points lost last night.

No damage done yet.

Everyone knows they need to raise their game, including Stan.

Agreed and it's that simple!

tetsujin1979
18/08/2006, 12:51 AM
o brien is fast but man if he cant pass a square ball!!! jeez
Be honest, on your debut, at home, you're clean through with only the 'keeper to beat. You'd have shot too, wouldn't you??
If anything, he can be criticised for a lack of vision, more than selfishness

Dr. Ogba
18/08/2006, 8:00 AM
....Elliott is an absolute waste of time........ Thank God Andy Reid didn't go to Sunderland, there seems to be a very negative vibe from Elliott....

:eek: Ridiculuous post....Were we watching the same game? Elliott was the only player (bar maybe Finnan) that made any sort of impression on the first half. He was asked to cover an unfamiliar right wing role when McGeady drifted in and he always showed good touch and endeavour. Most importantly he was one of the few players that showed any heart and he was still closing down and chasing lost causes even when the 4th goal went in...

DeNiro
18/08/2006, 8:23 AM
Hang on Dr Ogba. Were we watching the same game? Was this not Elliott who gifted Holland their second goal? If he was so good, why did everyone think Kevin Doyle really made an impression when he came on. His game is sloppy. He was decent in a few games under Kerr but on Wednesday he was shocking.

Dr. Ogba
18/08/2006, 8:32 AM
Hang on Dr Ogba. Were we watching the same game? Was this not Elliott who gifted Holland their second goal? If he was so good, why did everyone think Kevin Doyle really made an impression when he came on. His game is sloppy. He was decent in a few games under Kerr but on Wednesday he was shocking.

One mistake and a costly one at that, fair enough. His general play, touch, movement and commitment could not be faulted. He was lively throughout even though he was living on scraps, knockdowns and deflections from long balls....To say that he was giving a "negative vibe" is absolutely crazy given that he was one of the few Irish players that was constantly full of running and was always trying to close down the Dutch players....

And of course Doyle made an impression! Jaysus even I could have looked good playing out there if I had just come on for Morrisson!! (Just to clarify I'm not saying Doyle didn't play well but Morrisson was shocking!)

DeNiro
18/08/2006, 8:54 AM
Sure, they're fair comments, but he'll be on the bench against Germany and Doyle (I think) will start. Which for me says that Doyle made a greater impact in 45 mins than Elliott did in 90. He'll be remembered for the pass that led to the goal. Why should a player be passing back anyway when there were options inside. I think there were a lot of schoolboy errors on Wednesday, particularly the offside failing, but Elliott's will be considered the greatest.

Dr. Ogba
18/08/2006, 9:26 AM
Sure, they're fair comments, but he'll be on the bench against Germany and Doyle (I think) will start. Which for me says that Doyle made a greater impact in 45 mins than Elliott did in 90. He'll be remembered for the pass that led to the goal. Why should a player be passing back anyway when there were options inside. I think there were a lot of schoolboy errors on Wednesday, particularly the offside failing, but Elliott's will be considered the greatest.

Agreed on Doyle, he'll have to start no doubt about it. I think he'll show this year that he'll be able to cut it at the highest level and hopefully himself and Keane will form a decent partnership. At this stage of the game I'd definitely have Elliott ahead of Morrisson on the bench though, I think he'd be more capable of having an impact than Clinton.
But , as you say, our problems run far deeper than who to pick up front against ze Germans....The offside trap and zonal marking thing has to be shelved asap...

bennocelt
18/08/2006, 10:06 AM
Be honest, on your debut, at home, you're clean through with only the 'keeper to beat. You'd have shot too, wouldn't you??
If anything, he can be criticised for a lack of vision, more than selfishness

but i wouldnt put my head down and run the ball out to touch
man i hope he isnt another andy reid!

DeNiro
18/08/2006, 10:27 AM
Irish Indep says that Harte is very doubtful for Germany. Would have been handy on the dead ball end of things. When you think of Frings, Ballack, Klose et al, we really do need to get our act together. To think people are saying sack Staunton is crazy. Who else would take it? No one else looking for a job, bar O'Leary but he needs a big chequebook. He's a club manager and probably only will ever be that. He's turned down the Ireland job too many times. I see there's a 'B' game in November. They could be very important over coming years!

Irish_Praha
18/08/2006, 10:49 AM
but i wouldnt put my head down and run the ball out to touch
man i hope he isnt another andy reid!

I hope he isn't another Tony Dailey - anyone remember him? Could beat any man down the left wing and just didn't have a clue what to do with the ball as soon as he was in or level with the box.

As stated before, at least O'Brien is going to be an understudy to Duff, so he will be learning how to improve his final ball from one of the best in the business. Not such a bad situation. Maybe he'll be a ready-made replacement for Duff when he retires. Time will tell.

hoops1
18/08/2006, 11:00 AM
no matter what players are missing there should be evidence of what the
team are trying to achieve, what way they are going to play, after 3 games this should be all visible. With Ireland there doesnt deem to be any structure/game plan or purpose about what we are doing. I believe the booing
and leaving early were people angry at the lack of these things. Fans know enough about the game to know that these results are meaningless. But its the shambolic way Staunton and the team are going about there business that is causing the anger. The team had no direction and was leaderless. These things come from the manager firstly. Kerr had many faults but preperation and direction werent. Even if he was overly negative no stone was unturned in his attempt to get things done properly. His approach generally was accepted to be based on good football principals. Staunton appears to me to be trying to take us back to a more Charlton type set up.
Bring back Good aul Mick and Tony lets have the crack get, the team spirit going sure that will carry us along, lets try to create the club type set up.
This mentality and attitude should have died with the Charlton era.
The team lacks good character and good professionals. Real men. Coupled with a manger inexperienced and behind the times.
Its early but the signs really look bleak

Billsthoughts
18/08/2006, 11:43 AM
I hope he isn't another Tony Dailey - anyone remember him? Could beat any man down the left wing and just didn't have a clue what to do with the ball as soon as he was in or level with the box.

jesus he was the first guy to come int o my head on wed as well.....:D

southbucket2001
18/08/2006, 9:35 PM
All we lacked was experience, a few flashes of good individual play, but we didnt have the experience up front or in the middle that Holland had (excluding Huntelaar). Hate to say it, but Brian Kerr never lost a match 4-0, hell, he never even lost a match at all until 365 days ago (it is midnight in Ireland, right?), against the future world champions

Yeah but he never won a match that mattered either. Kerr had terrific results in friendlies but pants in the games that counted - the qualifiers. I could never nor still have not worked that out. I know its maybe positive thinking to hope for reverse logic under Stan.

Does anyone agree with promoting Alan Quinn to centre midfield alongside S Reid?

Is Andy Reid even fit to be considered for Germany?

Irish_Praha
18/08/2006, 9:42 PM
jesus he was the first guy to come int o my head on wed as well.....:D

Great minds and all that :p

mjpcc
19/08/2006, 1:12 PM
Depending on the result in germany - I would seriously consider hanging youngsters in the squad for the next games against czechs and cyprus. I think the fight for 2nd place will be a real dog fight - I would fear the welsh and the slovaks more than the czechs to be honest.

McGeady, Alan O'Brien, Joey O'Brien, Ireland - mccarthy and mcshane shoudl be brought into the squad - I know people will they totally lack experience but to be honest I would prefer these players to get experience.

If everyone is fit my team for Germany is

Given

Finnan
Dunne
O'Brien
Harte

McGeady
Reid
Reid
Duff

Keane
Doyle

That team is not too bad at all and is capable of getting a result if they play their hearts out - I include Harte because of his skill at free kicks....and our other options for left back aren't an awful lot better than him and dont have the free kicks skills

Concanta no matter how bad they play I think hanging any of them is going a bit far. :) How about making them refund all the fans expenses for away trips instead.

Dassa
21/08/2006, 2:36 PM
watched the highlights of the game and as good as the dutch were the ROI were quite poor. What do Republic fans think is the problem, poor squad, tactics or just injuries?

Junior
21/08/2006, 4:34 PM
What do Republic fans think is the problem, poor squad, tactics or just injuries?

All the above + poor leadership both on and off the pitch.

Still, it was a friendly. Germany is the first game that really counts.

Stuttgart88
22/08/2006, 6:21 PM
I'm half way thru a family holiday in Scotland and have only very limited internet access. I tried a post from Starbucks in St. Andrews the other day but I don't think it went through - my connection cvut out about a second after I pressed ''submit''!

Watched the match in a bar & could barely believe what I was watching. After the Chile game I criticised Staunton for tinkering with the shape. Not because I dislike change, bt because I think if you change the shape of the team you should only do so if you have the personnel for the roles required. Sadly, Stan made exactly the same error again from what I could see, admittedly only on TV.

Stephen Elliott is a predatory forward FFS. What exactly did Stan have him doing? Anything but what he's actually best at.

I said a few times recently that I'd still pick Morrisson ahead of Doyle unless a compelling case was made against Holland or at club level. That case has been made and emphatically.

I've also been advocating Kavanagh but I'm desperately disappointed in him. The Dutch, to a man, passed the ball accurately and with purpose. Kav, probably our best passer, hoofed it high & long and aimlessly. The contrast was stark & I'm afraid I've really lost faith in Kav's ability to play at the level required.

What the **** was going on for the first goal? O'Brien's fault? Whatever, it was unbelievable. I don't blame Elliott too much for the second goal. He shouldn't have to be back that deep. The guy should be up causing their defenders trouble (which he can do) not his own!

I still think that with our best players fit we can do OK but Staunton's tinkering has me worried. He seems to be employing change for change's sake, not with any sense of playing to the strengths of the players we have available. Keep it simple for Stuttgart, it's our only chance. Despite losing 2 goals and a hatful of chances in the second half, I thought we looked miles better with a simple shape & some subs showing they're better players than those they replaced.

More when I get back to work on Friday!