PDA

View Full Version : National Anthem

Pages : [1] 2 3

David
22/04/2006, 6:48 PM
I see they have just played the Irish national anthem before the Setanta Cup Final. Now as it is two southern teams I personally do not have a problem with it but I wonder will we hear the same complaints regarding this that we did towards Linfield supporters singing God Save The Queen?

hamish
22/04/2006, 6:55 PM
I see they have just played the Irish national anthem before the Setanta Cup Final. Now as it is two southern teams I personally do not have a problem with it but I wonder will we hear the same complaints regarding this that we did towards Linfield supporters singing God Save The Queen?

I certainly wouldn't have any problem David - as long as we don't have another Ireland's Call:eek: - yuk.

Personally, national anthems bore me senseless - at least if the UK and Rep. of Ireland had a nice lively one like the Italian national anthem, it might be bearable.:D

Remember Billy Connolly's skit on national anthems.:D

Poor Student
22/04/2006, 7:54 PM
That's a bizarre decision and a wrong one in my opinion. You didn't hear the Italian national anthem played before Milan and Juve in the European Cup final when they met. There should be no national anthems played in a cross border competition. Why did they do this?:confused:

Risteard
22/04/2006, 9:51 PM
Now as it is two southern teams I personally do not have a problem with it but I wonder will we hear the same complaints regarding this that we did towards Linfield supporters singing God Save The Queen?
Yes, from me you will anyway. Total disgrace. Feck off Soldiers Song like.
Makes no sense at all.
Well done Drogs.:(

MariborKev
22/04/2006, 9:55 PM
Only took you three minutes after kick off to post this David.

Did the phone ring on the way to the keyboard:rolleyes:

OneRedArmy
22/04/2006, 10:19 PM
I don`t see the need to play it either, but I can`t see its relevance to Linfield as
a) they weren't playing; and
b) playing it before the game has nothing to do with fans singing it during a match.

Personally I`ve no problem with people singing GSTQ or that other amusing throwback to the Empire, Rule Brittania.

Eire06
22/04/2006, 10:22 PM
:eek: SHOCK HORROR:eek:

They played the Irish national anthem at a match between two Irish teams in Ireland

Where did they get a crazy idea like that.. :rolleyes:

Poor Student
22/04/2006, 10:28 PM

They played the Irish national anthem at a match between two Irish teams in Ireland

Come on Eire 06, don't try to put up a specious argument like that. It doesn't belong in the context of an international cross border competition. In soccer national anthems are reserved for national teams and national cup finals. I wouldn't expect to hear Amhrán na bhFiann at a Setanta final between two Southern teams anymore than I would expect to hear God Save the Queen at a match between Linfield and Glens. Not to mention the confusion it throws up if say Linfield met Cliftonville in a final. It's an awful can of worms.

Eire06
22/04/2006, 10:33 PM
Come on Eire 06, don't try to put up a specious argument like that. It doesn't belong in the context of an international cross border competition. In soccer national anthems are reserved for national teams and national cup finals. I wouldn't expect to hear Amhrán na bhFiann at a Setanta final between two Southern teams anymore than I would expect to hear God Save the Queen at a match between Linfield and Glens. Not to mention the confusion it throws up if say Linfield met Cliftonville in a final. It's an awful can of worms.

I just think people are making too big a deal of it..The Anthem was played get over it!
Ya if Cork were playing Linfield there prob wouldn't be any Anthems true because it would only cause trouble. But it wasn't Linfield it was 2 Rep of Ireland teams so therefore it was perfectly acceptable to play it if they wanted to

Poor Student
22/04/2006, 10:38 PM
I just think people are making too big a deal of it..The Anthem was played get over it!
Ya if Cork were playing Linfield there prob wouldn't be any Anthems true because it would only cause trouble. But it wasn't Linfield it was 2 Rep of Ireland teams so therefore it was perfectly acceptable to play it if they wanted to

No. It just doesn't work like that. When two clubs from the same country meet in an international tournament their national anthem is not played and this is not the GAA, we don't play the anthem at every game. The national anthem has no place in the Setanta Cup final. Given the politicial sensitivities involved in a cross border competition this just reinforces the fact that it shouldn't have been played.

joema
22/04/2006, 11:09 PM
The national anthem has no place in the Setanta Cup final. .

Exactly

hamish
22/04/2006, 11:25 PM
Another thing I'd love to see gone is that pseudo-Classical sh!te before Champions League matches.
Too much faux-gravitas before games now anyway.
In my day, we just went to see the game and would have laughed at such nonsense because.............cont'd page 94.:D

Speranza
22/04/2006, 11:45 PM
What an awful decision. Lot of ifs and buts here but if they play the national anthem of the two finalists then there would have been some craic had we reached the final. Why complicate the event with an anthem, wonder who made the call.

David
22/04/2006, 11:52 PM
What an awful decision. Lot of ifs and buts here but if they play the national anthem of the two finalists then there would have been some craic had we reached the final. Why complicate the event with an anthem, wonder who made the call.

I was very surprised, I have to be honest but not at all offended. The only time would be offended is if we were involved and it was played without GSTQ being given the same recognition. To be totally honest I started the thread a bit tongue in cheek. I actually thought better of it and tried to delete it after I posted it in case it started a lot of political nonsense but was unable to do so. Basically though was trying to point out that I take no offence whatsoever at it so I do not see why people should have a problem with Linfield fans singing GSTQ.

Eoingull
23/04/2006, 12:01 AM
It was a mistake to play the National Anthem at the final. One community is not a guest in the other's competition. Telling someone to just "get over it" is a nonsense reply. All these little acts can serve as social markers. What if some folk from the North were enjoying the competition so much, they decided to take in the final? I went to a Belfast Giants ice hockey game recently, and was relieved to find no Anthems sung beforehand, which is contrary to that sports protocol. This has resulted in the team belonging to the city, and not one community or the other. Go to a few sporting events in the US, where they play their National Anthem every time, and you'll soon wonder what's the point? Having said all that, I do miss the National Anthem and the crashing waves on television at the end of the night.

Cosmo
23/04/2006, 12:40 AM

Thought it was fcuking stupid myself - couldnt give a sh!te either way, but just didnt see the point of it :confused: (but each to their own and all thta)

Dr.Nightdub
23/04/2006, 1:30 AM

They don't play it a League games, why play it at the final of a cross-border competition? National anthems are never played at European club matches, nor should they be.

Dodge
23/04/2006, 1:49 AM
They haved played it at league games. Whats the big deal? As long as they play it for both countries next time both are represented

sullanefc
23/04/2006, 2:12 AM
Well it shouldn't have been played tonight. It was an cross border comp and sensitive issues like these should be taken into account. However, the anthem is played at the FAI cup final and should probably be played at every round of the FAI cup IMO. Take pride in the anthem.

Total disgrace. Feck off Soldiers Song like.

As for this post?? All I can say is.. What kind of an @sshole are you?? Its your anthem FFS. Take pride in it. And to say feck off to it is a disgrace. I can only hope you were being sarcastic or drunk.

hoopy
23/04/2006, 8:38 AM
With all the for and against nobody has mentioned the fact that tv viewers only heard about half of it due to the fact that Mr Idiot on the pitchside continued to interview after it started! Only the fact that Paul Doolin stopped talking Setanta were saved from total embarassment

BleusAvantTout
23/04/2006, 8:57 AM
My understanding was that Setanta did not want national flags or anthems played at any of the Setanta games this season. It doesn't bother me but it may have set a dodgy precedent! :o

lopez
23/04/2006, 9:12 AM
Totally agree that this is inappropriate. Not only are national anthems never played in Uefa run competitions between clubs, but the playing of anthems in a competition whose intention is to bring two communities - so far successfully - with a history of animosity together peacefully, is self defeating. The organisers - the FAI??? - seem to have no common sense with the foresight of a goldfish.

Saint Tom
23/04/2006, 10:17 AM
agreed lopez,

this sets a very dangerous precedent. I have no problems with tricolors/union jacks at setanta games. after all both sets are representing their leagues but to make such a provocative gesture as playing amhrán na bhfiann is misguided and foolish

ndrog
23/04/2006, 10:32 AM
why where the langers from the peoples republic singing along ? there not Irish are they ???????

Anto McC
23/04/2006, 10:45 AM
Dont see why they played it but on i also dont see why it bothers anyone they did!

Had the final been Linfield VS Glentoran and in Windsor park and they played GSTQ,personally i wouldnt give a f*ck,in fact if the final had been Shels VS Linfield and they played GSTQ,i still dont think id give a f*ck!

Vitruvian Man
23/04/2006, 12:39 PM
I am assuming they played no national anthems before last years final.

So by playing one before this years final they are doing the typical Irish "ah sure we'll see what the weathers like in the day" thing. Considering all the hand wringing done over potential tension between North and South teams you'd think they would have made some kind of rule for the this while they were structuring the competition.

wws
23/04/2006, 12:56 PM
pats and rovers stood for the national anthem in the rds for the fist game there

basically if they have a band they gots to do somethin.....lol

overall setanta has been a success cross border wise but the decision to play a national anthem is a bit baffling at the final stage, someone fell asleep at the wheel on that one!

Dr.Nightdub
23/04/2006, 1:35 PM
National anthems should only be played at international matches.

For club matches, the only singing beforehand should be club anthems and we're perfectly capable of belting out "When The Saints Go Marching In" on our own without any help from the Garda Band - they should be out nicking bad guys instead of árseing about with trombones at football matches.

Risteard
23/04/2006, 2:19 PM
Oh we're not getting on at all today, are we?

Its your anthem FFS.
Well it's not actually. I don't claim it. In fact i don't want it at all but that's neither here nor there as i'm prob on my own on that one.

Take pride in it.
No.

Its not about what Amhran na bhFiann is or national pride.
The issue is its a cross-border competition. End of.
No GSTQ when Pool played Chelsea or italian anthem when Milan played Juve in the Champions League.

It's not really outrageous.
Just a bit stupid imo.

sullanefc
23/04/2006, 6:50 PM
Oh we're not getting on at all today, are we?

Well it's not actually. I don't claim it. In fact i don't want it at all but that's neither here nor there as i'm prob on my own on that one.

No.

Its not about what Amhran na bhFiann is or national pride.
The issue is its a cross-border competition. End of.
No GSTQ when Pool played Chelsea or italian anthem when Milan played Juve in the Champions League.

It's not really outrageous.
Just a bit stupid imo.

Ristear, I feel I owe you an apology for my 2 posts about you. If you look at the timing of the posts I think you'll understand. :o I misread your post in the other thread, and I agree that Amhrain Na bhFiann should not have been played last night.

However, I do take issue with you saying feck off to the irish national anthem. I take great pride in my anthem and for an irish person to say something like that dissappoints me.

dcfcsteve
24/04/2006, 12:32 AM
Surprised me to hear it being played as well. Don't see why they felt the need - as most posters on here have commented, it didn't really seem apporpriate or to 'fit in'.

Given the cross-border dimension to the tournament, the decision baffles me.

bigmac
24/04/2006, 8:43 AM
Totally inappropriate IMO - wasn't played at the Munster Leinster game either, so have no idea why it should be played at a Setanta Cup game.

NY Hoop
24/04/2006, 1:34 PM
Bit surprised alright but honestly what difference does it make? Who cares? Nit picking. It was played get over it and move on.

Also think the ban on flags is nonsense in this competition.

KOH

David
24/04/2006, 2:14 PM
Bit surprised alright but honestly what difference does it make? Who cares? Nit picking. It was played get over it and move on.
KOH

I would certainly agree but I trust we will have no further complaints about Linfield supporters singing GSTQ or Rule Britannia.

TonyD
24/04/2006, 8:38 PM
I would certainly agree but I trust we will have no further complaints about Linfield supporters singing GSTQ or Rule Britannia.

Don't mind you singing GSTQ, if you must, (though do you not think it's a bit on the dreary side, musically :p ) Rule Britannia though I think has overtones that I don't like(As opposed to Undertones, who I'm very partial to:D ), bit too triumphalist IMO. I'm sure you wouldn't take too kindly to a crowd of Southerners signing "A Nation Once Again" would you ? All in all I think it's better to stick to Football songs and leave the politics alone (I did enjoy the Linfield supporters rendition of "You Can Stick Your Fukken Euros Up Your Hole" v Drogheda though, Classy:D ) I do agree with you though, and the other posters who said the anthem was out of place. And it's not about being proud of your anthem. In a cross border competition, and in this new era of Peace Love and Understanding, it would have been better left alone. By the way, I wonder were many Northern supporters watching the final. Any idea David?

Risteard
24/04/2006, 8:47 PM
Ristear, I feel I owe you an apology for my 2 posts about you. If you look at the timing of the posts I think you'll understand. :o I misread your post in the other thread, and I agree that Amhrain Na bhFiann should not have been played last night.

However, I do take issue with you saying feck off to the irish national anthem. I take great pride in my anthem and for an irish person to say something like that dissappoints me.
:D Not a bother.
Was a bit baffled there alright.

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree about Amhran na bhFiann.
I don't feel its a good anthem for the country, not least in a situation such as the Setanta Cup.

Speranza
24/04/2006, 10:22 PM
David it is clear at this stage that your views pre-date those of a caveman but in a desperate attempt to reason with you......

Why would fans of Linfield want to sing Rule Britannia or GSTQ? How is that going to support your players on the pitch especially those of a nationalist persuasion? Why exactly would you sing these songs apart from triumphalism and bigotry?*

*Before you say these songs aren't bigotted they are sung in a sectarian spirit.

David
25/04/2006, 9:16 AM
David it is clear at this stage that your views pre-date those of a caveman but in a desperate attempt to reason with you......

Why would fans of Linfield want to sing Rule Britannia or GSTQ? How is that going to support your players on the pitch especially those of a nationalist persuasion? Why exactly would you sing these songs apart from triumphalism and bigotry?*

*Before you say these songs aren't bigotted they are sung in a sectarian spirit.

Yet more Derry City nonsense. How are they sang in a "sectarian spirit"? They are patriotic songs and there is no problem with them. How can you possibly condemn them but not the playing of the Irish National Anthem? What is the difference?

David
25/04/2006, 9:25 AM
It seems like some have the attitude that it is only sectarian when Linfield are doing it.

Poor Student
25/04/2006, 11:20 AM
I trust we will have no further complaints about Linfield supporters singing GSTQ or Rule Britannia.

Uhm, there's a fair few people saying that the anthem didn't belong at the final, why would that automatically mean they don't mind GSTQ or Rule Britannia? You seem to be content that this gaffe was made at the final as if you feel two wrongs are making a right. Rangers are undergoing a grilling for having a repertoire which is identical to yours. Does you club enjoy having an almost identical repertoire of songs as another club?:confused: Could you not think up of some unique football songs for yourselves?

dcfcsteve
25/04/2006, 11:23 AM
Yet more Derry City nonsense. How are they sang in a "sectarian spirit"? They are patriotic songs and there is no problem with them. How can you possibly condemn them but not the playing of the Irish National Anthem? What is the difference?

There is a difference David, and you know it.

The vast majority of posters on thsi thread have criticised the playing of Amhrann na bhFiann at the Setanta Final as inappropriate. How you can therefore try to twist that into negating criticism from anyone of Linfield fans for singing tribal anthems - particularly at games involving support primarily from a non-Unionist community - is beyond me. We're all criticisng the playing of the Irish anthem. You're conveniently ignoring that criticism to say that we're now no longer able to criticise Linfield fans for singing GSTQ etc at a time of their choosing.

Can't you just drop the agenda for a moment please....

David
25/04/2006, 12:06 PM
Uhm, there's a fair few people saying that the anthem didn't belong at the final, why would that automatically mean they don't mind GSTQ or Rule Britannia? You seem to be content that this gaffe was made at the final as if you feel two wrongs are making a right. Rangers are undergoing a grilling for having a repertoire which is identical to yours. Does you club enjoy having an almost identical repertoire of songs as another club?:confused: Could you not think up of some unique football songs for yourselves?

Rangers are getting a grilling over the likes of the Billy Boys etc and anyone criticising our support for singing this I will agree with them. Can you tell me what is offensive about GSTQ or RB? It is part of our identity, it is what we are about. We are a British club with patriotic supporters singing British songs, where is the problem in that? I don't feel that two wrongs are making a right because I do not see either as being wrong. My preference would be that our support sing Linfield songs but that is my personal preference and I see no wrong whatsoever in people singing RB or GSTQ as there is nothing offensive in what they are singing. It is not sectarian in any way, if it was I would be the first to complain. I am all for an all Ireland League but if that means people trying to surpress our identity then I could very quickly change my mind. Accept us for what we are. Yes we all want rid of sectarian stuff but the aforementioned songs certainly do not fall into that category.

Poor Student
25/04/2006, 12:13 PM
You make an argument which superficially sounds very reasonable. "We're a British football club, with British fans, why can't we sing the British anthem?". I ride an Irish bus every morning with Irish people. Do we sing Amran na bhFiann? No we don't. I attend an Irish university every with Irish people. Do we sing the anthem? No we don't. I attend a League of Ireland game most weeks, to support an Irish club, with my fellow Irish fans. Do we sing the anthem? No we don't. There are many many British clubs out there, very few of whom feel the need to sing GSTQ. Yes, they're not sectarian per se, but I think you know what I'm getting at and you prefer to hide behind pedantry. My feeling is as a well supported and large club in an Irish context, you should have a proud identity backed primarily by football songs and try to step out of Rangers shadow and be something other than Rangers junior club.

David
25/04/2006, 12:24 PM
You make an argument which superficially sounds very reasonable. "We're a British football club, with British fans, why can't we sing the British anthem?". I ride an Irish bus every morning with Irish people. Do we sing Amran na bhFiann? No we don't. I attend an Irish university every with Irish people. Do we sing the anthem? No we don't. I attend a League of Ireland game most weeks, to support an Irish club, with my fellow Irish fans. Do we sing the anthem? No we don't. There are many many British clubs out there, very few of whom feel the need to sing GSTQ. Yes, they're not sectarian per se, but I think you know what I'm getting at and you prefer to hide behind pedantry. My feeling is as a well supported and large club in an Irish context, you should have a proud identity backed primarily by football songs and try to step out of Rangers shadow and be something other than Rangers junior club.

We have many Linfield songs and these are sang at games but these other songs are also sang and are not the sole preserve of Rangers and I see no problem in it.

Poor Student
25/04/2006, 12:28 PM
We have many Linfield songs and these are sang at games but these other songs are also sang and are not the sole preserve of Rangers and I see no problem in it.

Why are only the non-footballing ones audiable on TV? You prefer to sing them with more gusto?

David
25/04/2006, 1:47 PM
Why are only the non-footballing ones audiable on TV? You prefer to sing them with more gusto?

Selective hearing I would suggest. For example in last year's final if anyone says they could not hear our support singing Fenlon's name they are lying.

lopez
25/04/2006, 2:21 PM
David: Are GSTQ and RB sung at all matches? Or just if certain oppostion merits the occasion? And why the need to sing 18C anthems when the vast majority of fans within English club football eschew such songs at games? You say this is part of your identity. Is this rather exclusive to what is a large part of Belfast's population?

Speranza
25/04/2006, 3:39 PM
David, one of your fans gave the game away big time after $hels match in Windsor. He said that GSTQ and RB should be sung louder for teams like Shelbourne and City as they "don't like hearing it" GSTQ and RB are not sung to promote your own culture but to spit on the other communities identities and values.

David
25/04/2006, 6:43 PM
Which would of course would explain why they were sung against Glentoran a few weeks ago. Regardless, imagine football supporters singing a song to wind up opposition supporters, the very thought of it, could be the end of the game as we know it. :rolleyes: As long as there is nothing offensive to other peoples race or religion then it is fair enough. There is enough political correctness without it taking over football.

Poor Student
25/04/2006, 6:47 PM
There is enough political correctness without it taking over football.

Such as?

Btw David, it's not a case of selective hearing.