PDA

View Full Version : Stan's Warm Weather Training Camp

Pages : [1] 2

colster
30/03/2006, 9:33 AM
From the Indo today. It think this is an good idea.

NEWCASTLE UNITED'S Stephen Carr is in line for a return to the Ireland squad after several heart to heart conversations with Bobby Robson.

The 29-year-old Dubliner retired from international football last autumn after Ireland's failure to qualify for the 2006 World Cup finals.

But following the appointment of Steve Staunton as Brian Kerr's replacement, the arrival of Robson into the Irish management team and the appointment of his former Spurs colleague Robbie Keane as team captain, the signs are that Carr is on his way back.

He is expected to be included in the 30-man squad that Staunton intends naming for his Iberian training camp in May.

"Bobby had a very positive chat with him. Bobby, as you know, lives in that part of the woods. He's spoken to him on numerous occasions, so it's very positive," said Staunton.

The Irish boss explained that the thinking behind the exceptionally large squad was because of his determination to fine tune his Euro 2008 qualification plans at the camp.

"The 30 that will be coming I see as the mainstay for the next two to four years but that's not to say that people won't come in and people won't be left out," said Staunton.

"Most squads would be 20 or 22 players so there will be people disappointed and, as I said before, we don't know who we're going to pick up along the way or how kids might progress."

The Irish boss admitted that his plans could be hit if Leeds United make the Championship Play-off final because her would have to do without Liam Miller and Jonathon Douglas. Staunton also explained his reasons for heading to the Iberian peninsula in the build-up to the May 24 friendly against Chile.

"Basically, the weather. You're never guaranteed it in this country.

"What we will do over those four or five days is for the next two years, because we're not going to get time before the Dutch or German games to do set plays, go through our ideas and show the lads what we're looking for. So this is an ideal opportunity for us."

NeilMcD
30/03/2006, 9:46 AM
FAI chief executive John Delaney said yesterday he expects the FAI to have almost half of the money - some €30 million - that it is required to put towards the cost of redeveloping Lansdowne Road in cash by the end of next year. Emmet Malone, Soccer Correspondent, reports.

Delaney, speaking after he and Republic of Ireland manager Steve Staunton had paid a courtesy call on the Minister for Sport John O'Donoghue, said the organisation was already in a strong position financially and with the next 18 months promising to be highly profitable it would achieve the €30 million figure even before a single corporate box for the new ground is sold.

ADVERTISEMENT
"The fact is that we have reserves of €12 million at the moment and with getting Germany in the qualifying group, the television rights and other factors (such as playing competitive internationals at Croke Park next year) we're confident that we will have €30 million in the bank by then."

The figure may be further boosted by the sale of the FAI's Merrion Square headquarters at the start of 2007 if, as anticipated, office space for up to 200 administrators is in place at Abbotstown by the end of this year.

"The intention is that the space will be available to us by then," he said, "and that we will then be able to have what I would see as a "house of football," with the Leinster FA and Schoolboys FA as well as all of our own people coming together under one roof.

"At that stage we will sit down and decide what to do with Merrion Square but my own preference at this point would be to sell it and put the money towards the cost of the stadium. It's hard to tell what it is worth but with the way the property market here is, it should raise a substantial enough sum."

Asked about reports that some GAA officials are unhappy that the FAI and IRFU would get to use Croke Park next year even if work on the redevelopment of Lansdowne Road has yet to start, he said that the matter was one for the GAA but he added that there had been a series of extremely positive meetings in relation to the usage agreements over the past couple of months and that he was confident the Republic's first scheduled soccer international at the stadium - against Wales next March - would go ahead as planned.

O'Donoghue said he was delighted to see the first phase of the Abbotstown project finally get under way and he said that as soon as the office facilities were in place the laying of pitches and sports facilities would begin.

It is envisaged that this first phase, costing around €120 million, will be completed by the end of 2010 and the minister said that he would soon make appointments to a new board specifically being established to look at ways in which these and other facilities could be used to attract sportspeople to this country during the run-up to the London Olympics.

"The intention is to attract visitors to the country," he said. "We already have a lot of very fine sporting facilities around the country but we believe that by ensuring that phase one of this development is in place in the timeframe envisaged that we are providing an added incentive to those preparing for London to come here first."

Staunton, meanwhile, said he intends to bring a squad of 30 players to Spain or Portugal in May for the training camp he has planned during the build-up to the friendly international against Chile.

The Ireland manager cited the virtual guarantee of good weather in either country as the reason for the trip which, he believes, will stand to his squad "over the next two years."

"It's the only chance we're going to get to spend a few days doing the sort of work on set pieces and other aspects of our game that I want to do," he said.

"It's not going to happen in the build-up to the Holland game or the trip to Germany so it's important that we take the opportunity to do as much as we can on a trip like this.

It is," he added, "a training camp, not a summer camp."

He went on to welcome yesterday's development in relation to Abbotsown, saying the new facility would be a major boost to the development of young players. "As you've heard, the Government and the FAI are working to a four or five-year plan for the development of the game and I've got my own four-year plan too. What we'd all like to see is a situation where there aren't so many youngsters going over to England and then coming back and then being lost to the game because there isn't the proper system for bringing them through in place.

"What something like Abbotstown will mean, when it is fully up and running, is that we'll have something more to offer young players here while even those who do go away will have something better to come home to if things don't work out for them."

Stuttgart88
30/03/2006, 10:37 AM
"The 30 that will be coming I see as the mainstay for the next two to four years but that's not to say that people won't come in and people won't be left out," said Staunton.

"Most squads would be 20 or 22 players so there will be people disappointed and, as I said before, we don't know who we're going to pick up along the way or how kids might progress."

I think it's a good idea too. Will be interesting to see who's included. Apparently they declined a friendly in Finland in June.

NeilMcD
30/03/2006, 10:41 AM
Where did you hear that about Finland.

as_i_say
30/03/2006, 11:53 AM
i dunno , steve carr. fat useless moany hole but i'd have him back cos we're short on cover for finnan. as long as stan doesnt start him ahead of finnan like kerr did.

drinkfeckarse
30/03/2006, 12:26 PM
How anyone could put him in ahead of Finnan over the last 2 years form was always a mystery to me. Hopefully Stan can actually see what everyone else sees when you compare the two...

finlma
30/03/2006, 12:30 PM
we're short on cover for finnan.

I think Stpehen Kelly is decent cover for Finnan. Its better that the cover we have in most other positions.

Stuttgart88
30/03/2006, 12:36 PM
Where did you hear that about Finland.
Examiner online.

I think Kelly has looked far short of international quality in recent games for Spurs. If we had a competitive match this week and Finnan was injured I'd prefer Carr. Edit: Shooter's list reminded me of Joey O'Brien. I'd be a lot happier playing O'Brien at RB than Kelly.

Stuttgart88
30/03/2006, 12:51 PM
Pretty close to my own 30 I reckon. No McGeady?

Dj Duffer
30/03/2006, 12:59 PM
What about young Andy Keogh with S****horpe. Hes showing good potential and has scored 14 goals this season!

geysir
30/03/2006, 1:17 PM
It was reported that both Kerr and Staunton were in attendance at the u17 game at Richmond pk. I wonder did Brian accuse Stan of undoing all the previous good work by resurrecting dangerous concepts like confidence, expression of ability and players enjoying the task.

as_i_say
30/03/2006, 1:17 PM
that sc unthorpe thing gets me everytime:D :D

kelly is well short of being a full international. given his preformances i expect jol to get in another right back and kelly to be farmed out to a championship or league one team on loan.

joey o brien would be way ahead of him in the pecking order

pete
30/03/2006, 2:46 PM
No point using Garvan as he'd be better off with season in the U21s getting a game as opposed to distant squad player.

wws
30/03/2006, 2:49 PM
wonder will that GAA poster get on here again and tell us how they pioneered this warm weather lark. Innovators they are! :p

pete
30/03/2006, 2:57 PM
is the weather so bad in Ireland in May that have to go abroad for training? I think the irish squad getting large egos that want to be locked away in foreign training camp away from irish public...?

Kingdom
30/03/2006, 3:42 PM
Now there's a sensible comment. Considering as how the FAI need to be more prudent than ever what with Lansdowne being refurbished.

Paddy Garcia
30/03/2006, 4:06 PM
No point using Garvan as he'd be better off with season in the U21s getting a game as opposed to distant squad player.

Disagree look at Fabregas the other night, still 18. Garvan could be a big player for us from the beginning of the campaign, there is not a lot of top class competition for a place next to Reid.

Suggest we need to be less cautious than under Kerr, & if Garvin is up to it the sooner he is given an opportunity the better. He is certainly not going to develop further with the U21s.

jbyrne
30/03/2006, 6:20 PM
is the weather so bad in Ireland in May that have to go abroad for training?

possibly yes. why take the chance of wind and rain when there is gauranteed sun and good weather in the south of spain. far more can be done in training when weather is good

Peadar
30/03/2006, 6:26 PM
why take the chance of wind and rain when there is gauranteed sun and good weather in the south of spain.

It's quite reasonable to assume that it would be cheaper to spend a week in Spain than it would in Ireland. Combined with the fact that we have almost no proper facilities available to the FAI which could cater for 30 players.

Irish_Praha
30/03/2006, 11:01 PM
i dunno , steve carr. fat useless moany hole but i'd have him back cos we're short on cover for finnan. as long as stan doesnt start him ahead of finnan like kerr did.

he actually got into soccernet's team-of-the-week last week :eek:
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=362955&root=england&cc=5739

NeilMcD
31/03/2006, 9:36 AM
Also part of soccer is team building and building a team spirit. What is wrong with taking the lads away on a trip to Portugal for some training and working on set plays etc and at teh same time letting them play some golf and build up team spirit etc.

Dodge
31/03/2006, 11:02 AM
Its not a club side Neil, that team spirit has to be built before evry game. They only see each other 8-10 times a year

NeilMcD
31/03/2006, 11:20 AM
Shirt and there was me thinking Ireland was a club side. **** as a bellboy said to Georgie Best "where did it all go wrong".

I believe team spirit is built up over a period of time with both club sides and international sides, in the same way its lost over a period of time.

It is pretty clear that the irish team spirt had gone from the latter stages of the last campaign. This was the fault of both the players and managment.

Now for the last game some team spirit seemed to have been restored. However I would say if you cant get the players playing for you for your first game you are well and truly ****ed. This happens all the time with teams they they have a brief honeymoon period and then the problems kick in. It happened a bit with Kerr, its happening with Glenn Roeder now and it may happen with Staunton.

However I cannot see why bringing the players to Portugal for a week to work on set pieces, tactics and team spirit is not a good call by the manager. He will get good pitches with good weather to work on all the things that go into preparing a team for international football As Staunton has said this will not be available to him before the Holland or Germany games to much extent.

klein4
31/03/2006, 11:39 AM
Bet your house on a taboid scandal emanating from this trip. different times now and they will go looking for it....its probably the first thing a lot of editors thought when they heard about trip...
As well it will be interesting to see how many FAI officials go on trip.....
surely they have all their "set pieces" sorted by now.....???

NeilMcD
31/03/2006, 11:41 AM
How would they have all their set pieces sorted out by now after 2 or 3 days of training a few weeks ago.

klein4
31/03/2006, 11:45 AM
:eek:
the fai!!!

Dodge
31/03/2006, 11:52 AM
However I cannot see why bringing the players to Portugal for a week to work on set pieces, tactics and team spirit is not a good call by the manager. He will get good pitches with good weather to work on all the things that go into preparing a team for international football As Staunton has said this will not be available to him before the Holland or Germany games to much extent.
He's preparing them in May (when they want to get some rest) for game coming up in September and after. Working on set pieces is stupid as as soon as thye back to their clubs they'll revert to what their employers want. It sounds like an unnecessary jolly up to me. Would prefer if he brought a B team on tour if he wants to learn about the future. No point in having a look at the likes of Carr et al

NeilMcD
31/03/2006, 11:54 AM
Sorry Klein what set pieces do the FAI work on. As far as I know none of them are available for slection for the Senior International Squad. You have lost me there.

klein4
31/03/2006, 12:00 PM
They dont.
Hence they dont need to be on a tour thats aim is to improve set pieces.
comprawndey?????????????????????????

NeilMcD
31/03/2006, 12:01 PM
He's preparing them in May (when they want to get some rest) for game coming up in September and after. Working on set pieces is stupid as as soon as thye back to their clubs they'll revert to what their employers want. It sounds like an unnecessary jolly up to me. Would prefer if he brought a B team on tour if he wants to learn about the future. No point in having a look at the likes of Carr et al

Dodge how do you know the players do not want to go on this. How do you know that he did not consult with the senior players before arranging it. Also he is a new manager that wants to have a look in training at his full options before the serious work starts. So what qualifications have you got to say that working on set pieces is stupid in May. I woudl rather trust someone who has played for Ireland over 100 times and a coach who has coached at the highest lever for the best part of 30 years. Do you honestly think that players have to be remined how to play for Ireland ever time they come over and then forget it again when they go back to their clubs. These thins are a slow burning process. Just like The Irish players in the 80s and early 90s were able to play Jack Charltons way and then revert back to a passing game with Liverpool or Man Utd etc etc.

What is wrong with Staunton wanting to learn about the pool of players that he has at his disposal and at the same time the players learning about the style of management that Staunton will have. They will learn what they can and cant do. They will learn certain things about how players lay off the ball or which side they like the ball to be played too. All this comes from work on the training ground. The more time you have on the training ground the better. International managers are always claiming that they dont have enough time with their players to work on such things. Here is Staunton atteimpting to solve this and he is being criticised with very little reasons to back this up.

NeilMcD
31/03/2006, 12:01 PM
They dont.
Hence they dont need to be on a tour thats aim is to improve set pieces.
comprawndey?????????????????????????

Who said they were going.

klein4
31/03/2006, 12:02 PM
the bees are in the What now????????:confused:

NeilMcD
31/03/2006, 12:08 PM
What the **** are you talking about.

drinkfeckarse
31/03/2006, 12:12 PM
It's quite reasonable to assume that it would be cheaper to spend a week in Spain than it would in Ireland.

All those first class tickets for the suits will disprove that theory ;)

NeilMcD
31/03/2006, 12:19 PM
How do you know all the suits are going to this, where are the facts to suggest that.

drinkfeckarse
31/03/2006, 12:40 PM
Do I need a statement from them or something Neil, this IS the F.A.I. we're talking about:rolleyes:

NeilMcD
31/03/2006, 1:02 PM
I know but I have seen no evidence that this will be a jolly up for FAI suits and officials. So therefore it is just speculation. If it comes out that this is the case then the should be slagged and criticised for it. Before then its just speculation which is unfounded.

pete
31/03/2006, 1:03 PM
Don't players usually complain about end of season games when they tired & just want to get off to their summer holidays?

geysir
31/03/2006, 1:03 PM
He's preparing them in May (when they want to get some rest) for game coming up in September and after.
If it was Kerr it would be regarded as meticulous preparation as its Staunton even before a ball has been kicked in anger let the nitpicking begin.
The camp precedes a friendly with Chile. Presumably they would be gathered together someplace before that game. Staunton has already gone on record saying there would be no more friendlies after that date precisely because players need rest, something which previous managers ignored at this point of their tenure

Would prefer if he brought a B team on tour if he wants to learn about the future. No point in having a look at the likes of Carr
Looks like its an extended squad he is bringing which presumably includes the 2nd string

NeilMcD
31/03/2006, 1:06 PM
Totally agree with you there Geysir. There seems to be an awful lot of double standards about and people are letting their personal opinions of managers cloud their judgement in my view. As I said every manager should be treated equally.

drinkfeckarse
31/03/2006, 1:20 PM
I know but I have seen no evidence that this will be a jolly up for FAI suits and officials. So therefore it is just speculation. If it comes out that this is the case then the should be slagged and criticised for it. Before then its just speculation which is unfounded.

I didn't say the whole of Merrion Square would be going but you can be sure (speculation or not) that there will be at least a few senior officials going (just to make sure everything's ok like;) ). It's hardly going to be Stan, Bobby and the physio.

You're being very picky Neil, do you work for the F.A.I. or something or are you John Delaney in disguise:p :D

klein4
31/03/2006, 1:20 PM
Paul Le Guen for rangers manager geysir!
How is that for a fact for ya!:D
Neil mind your language.

and on topic....
Is there a Harry Ramsdens in Spain?

klein4
31/03/2006, 1:22 PM
You're being very picky Neil, do you work for the F.A.I. or something or are you John Delaney in disguise:p :D
did I hear someone say pedantic????????????
anyways it will be interesting to see how many suits go on it...

NeilMcD
31/03/2006, 1:37 PM
I didn't say the whole of Merrion Square would be going but you can be sure (speculation or not) that there will be at least a few senior officials going (just to make sure everything's ok like;) ). It's hardly going to be Stan, Bobby and the physio.

Sorry there Drinkfeckarse. I never suggested that you said that the whole of Merrion Square was going so thats you introducing that nice bit of hyperbole there.

So far we do not know if any suits or FAI officials are going. Now if it turns out that there are some FAI officials going in order to sort out logistics and admin well that is fair enough.

I dont work for the FAI or am I John Delaney but why would you suggest that cause I dont hop on the band wagon which on ever thread you must slag the FAI without foundation. Just to put on record I think the FAI have and probably are a shamble of an organistation that is capable of both good and bad decisions. However I am not going to slag them without foundation on ever thread just cause its the trendy or easy thing to do.

Also Klein if pedantic means only wanting to deal with factual information rather than commenting on pure speculation or making up stuff them maybe I am pedantic. I often find that people who accuse others of being pedantic do so cause they have very little left to debate with and drop to the depths of name calling.

NeilMcD
31/03/2006, 1:41 PM
[QUOTE=klein4]Paul Le Guen for rangers manager geysir!
How is that for a fact for ya!:D
Neil mind your language.

and on topic....
Is there a Harry Ramsdens in Spain?[/QUOTW

What has a Harry Ramsdens in Spain go to do with this debate, Klein. What has Paul Le Guen got to do with Ireland heading to Portugal for a training camp.

drinkfeckarse
31/03/2006, 2:02 PM
Sorry there Drinkfeckarse. I never suggested that you said that the whole of Merrion Square was going so thats you introducing that nice bit of hyperbole there.

So far we do not know if any suits or FAI officials are going. Now if it turns out that there are some FAI officials going in order to sort out logistics and admin well that is fair enough.

I dont work for the FAI or am I John Delaney but why would you suggest that cause I dont hop on the band wagon which on ever thread you must slag the FAI without foundation. Just to put on record I think the FAI have and probably are a shamble of an organistation that is capable of both good and bad decisions. However I am not going to slag them without foundation on ever thread just cause its the trendy or easy thing to do.

Also Klein if pedantic means only wanting to deal with factual information rather than commenting on pure speculation or making up stuff them maybe I am pedantic. I often find that people who accuse others of being pedantic do so cause they have very little left to debate with and drop to the depths of name calling.

:confused: Jesus H, you need to chill out Neil and take life a little less seriously...

NeilMcD
31/03/2006, 2:05 PM
I dont take life seriously at all and I am totally chilled but I am not so sure what that has got to do with the discussion we are having here in relation to the pros and cons of bringing Irish players to Portugal for a training camp.

wws
31/03/2006, 2:37 PM
Lol

Aww Mercy

Dodge
31/03/2006, 2:57 PM
I dont take life seriously at all and I am totally chilled but

Yeah you are...

NeilMcD
31/03/2006, 3:02 PM
Thanks he is a legend