PDA

View Full Version : Shels 3-0 Rovers

Pages : [1] 2

De Town
14/02/2006, 9:34 PM
Shels beat Rovers 3-0 tonight in a "friendly" that had 2 men sent off (O'Halloran and Crawley, both Shels)

What happened? Sure it was only a friendly...

ccfcgirl
14/02/2006, 9:41 PM
Not the best of starts for Greg O halloran.

Poor Student
14/02/2006, 9:54 PM
I think in Britain bans can be carried out from friendlies. That's shocking. Can they get eL bans for this?

Anto McC
14/02/2006, 9:54 PM
Rovers fans up to their usual antics :rolleyes:

Do you still think Nutsy is a hoop?

Conor H
14/02/2006, 9:57 PM
[]Rovers fans up to their usual antics :rolleyes:
Care to elaborate......

Why were the 2 boys sent off?

pete
14/02/2006, 10:04 PM
Only shels could get 2 players sent off in a friendly they win 3-0. :rolleyes:

higgins
14/02/2006, 10:12 PM
Is that a compliment Pete ?

3-0 win with 9 men :?

Yes Shock Horror!! Shels have two men sent off ....... the two men in question should go straight to jail!

De Town
14/02/2006, 10:14 PM
I think in Britain bans can be carried out from friendlies. That's shocking. Can they get eL bans for this?
I'd say so.

Rovers fans up to their usual antics
As Conor said, elaborate please Anthony...:D

superfrank
14/02/2006, 10:18 PM
I don't think so. Wesley Charles got sent off for us in a pre-season friendly against Dublin City around this time last year for punching a player that had racially abused him and he didn't miss a game.

A face
14/02/2006, 10:24 PM
Is that a compliment Pete ?

3-0 win with 9 men :?

Yes Shock Horror!! Shels have two men sent off ....... the two men in question should go straight to jail!

Not too much of a surprise that Shels are picking up from where they left off, i think this is a clear sign that Shels are back to their old tricks again this season. If you cant play ball, then just try and kick lumps out of the opposition :( :mad:

And the eircom League is meant to be improving ?? :o

Speranza
14/02/2006, 10:36 PM
Face, they can try try and try again but as our two teams showed last year if you don't let $hels away with their violent tendancies or alternatively play them off the park they will always come out second best.

Gareth
14/02/2006, 11:09 PM
Crawley red was a red. O'Halloran could of gotten away with a request to be subbed. A Rovers fan spat on Pat Fenlon. Two of them did. Ollie carted one of them out of the ground. Well done to him for doing it.

dfx-
14/02/2006, 11:14 PM
Crawley's *attempted* tackle was disgraceful...along with a good few others

If I was the coach of a team 3-0 up in a friendly, I'd be tearing into the players for such a loss of discipline..

Although the ref didn't help in stopping it from boiling over from the start of the second half - he was reffing it like it was a title decider and then letting other things go, so neither set of players knew what they could or couldn't get away with it..

dcfcsteve
14/02/2006, 11:20 PM

You CANNOT pick-up a ban from a friendly. That's ridiculous. They're not FA/FAI recognised etc fixtures.

If players were able to pick-up a transferable ban from a friendly, then you'd also have to let them transfer existings bans into friendlies - i.e. use them up in that way. You couldn't have one without the other, and neither are desireable.

Gareth
14/02/2006, 11:29 PM
Friendlies are sanctioned by the FAI? So they are recognised games?

Raheny Red
15/02/2006, 12:18 AM
Great performance by Shels in the first half, basically a walk in the park for us. The second half was the worst bit of football I have ever witnessed at a game........:eek:

Yes, there was a lack of discipline by the Shels lads (nothing new there)
Yes, there was a lack of discipline by the Rovers fans (nothing new there)

So nothing much has changed in the life of the eL.......:rolleyes: :D

Raheny Red
15/02/2006, 12:22 AM
CLICK (http://forum.shelbournefc.ie/chat/viewtopic.php?t=5267)

sfc red
15/02/2006, 12:56 AM
Not too much of a surprise that Shels are picking up from where they left off, i think this is a clear sign that Shels are back to their old tricks again this season. If you cant play ball, then just try and kick lumps out of the opposition :( :mad:

And the eircom League is meant to be improving ?? :o

You were at the game?

BohsFans
15/02/2006, 1:28 AM
CLICK (http://forum.shelbournefc.ie/chat/viewtopic.php?t=5267)

Think SM (who's a dirty scumbag btw) was only banned for a league game because of the seriousness of what he did, violent conduct.

The el sanctions the friendlies and therefore they are recognised.

sfc red
15/02/2006, 2:03 AM
Sm???

hoopy
15/02/2006, 6:03 AM
Just to lighten the mood as it doesn't seem to matter what the score was to some Shels fans when our clubs meet, all Rovers fans are scum etc(don't worry lads, the ref let you keep the ball last night), I never thought I'd hear the sound of "in your Phibsborough slum" being sang to Shels fans :D

Drumcondra Red
15/02/2006, 7:06 AM
JJust goes to show the gulf that exists between the first division and the premier division...

A face
15/02/2006, 7:39 AM
You were at the game?

No, but does that change what happened ?? or are you saying that if i was there there wouldn't have been any violent conduct, wouldn't have been any sendings off ??

DvB
15/02/2006, 8:03 AM
JJust goes to show the gulf that exists between the first division and the premier division...

An interesting observation, had anyone arrived at half time i'd be asking which team represented which division.

Shels capatilised on early mistakes (schoolboy errors at that) and took their two chances well, the second goal though was a cracker from nothing & Moore deserves credit for the finish, a superb goal! Overall though after the shaky start Rovers looked far from being in a lower division which hopefully will stand to us over the coming season.

On the subject of the second half, rovers kept the ball on the deck & impressed with the better football, the lack of discipline from Shelbourne was in all honesty disgraceful, there could easily have been another couple of red cards doled out with two footed & lunging tackles the order of the day! I can understand Shels wanting a decent run out considering their competitive fixtures start before ours but their overall attitude was far from impressive.

As for Fenlon, the bloke could have a row in a locked room on his own, despite the game being a friendly he repeatedly came 5/or 6 yards onto the pitch whilst the ball was in play & after the red cards barracked the officials every time a rovers player tackled. His behaviour was unbelieveable considering the circumstances!

As for the suggestions that the rovers fans misbehaved well other than a few rants at Fenlon which IMO were deserved considering his & his teams actions nothing else happened, most of the night was spent hiding at the back of the stand from the torrential rain & wind FFS!

Koh

bigmac
15/02/2006, 9:05 AM
No, but does that change what happened ?? or are you saying that if i was there there wouldn't have been any violent conduct, wouldn't have been any sendings off ??

I think he's asking how you can comment on the type of football and say that Shels went around kicking lumps out of the opposition if you weren't at the game?

Drumcondra Red
15/02/2006, 9:10 AM
rovers kept the ball on the deck & impressed with the better football

Hmmm, yeah you're right, I'd much prefer that then to win 3-0 and be a Premier Division club... :rolleyes:

LFC in Exile
15/02/2006, 9:18 AM

There's Cork logic for you. I presume he meant that you are commenting on incidents that you didn't see.

Also, its a bit two-faced to talk about how another club's players act in friendlies after the ref at a recent friendly between Limerick and Cork ordered that Gorgeous George be subbed. And if you think this is fanciful Limerick thinking a fellow Cork fan refers to it here: http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=33569

:ball:

DvB
15/02/2006, 9:20 AM
Hmmm, yeah you're right, I'd much prefer that then to win 3-0 and be a Premier Division club... :rolleyes:

I'm happy that as a first division club we played some neat football in bad conditions against a team in a higher division expected to challenge for the league title, i never mentioned satisfaction with the comparitive league standings!

Colm
15/02/2006, 9:56 AM
Two of them did. Ollie carted one of them out of the ground.

What gives Ollie the right to manhandle ANYONE??

monutdfc
I'm fairly sure a red card Barry Burke got for verbals in a friendly before last season carried through to the first league game.

Maz
Went to the game and it wasnt anything special although thought the 2nd goal for Shels was excellent.
Pleased to see Dillo playing so well.
Infairness Rovers have nothing, and Shels did let them back into it in the 2nd half (albeit with 9 players) but Rovers had no body to really run at the shels defence.
However there was some excellent football played by shels in spells throughout the game.

I see Nutsy's behaviour hasnt changed much, he really needs to settle the head..

Was sitting amongst the Rovers fans and they were grand once the realised I wasnt a bohs fan. There was nothing out of the ordinary

Passive
15/02/2006, 10:01 AM
In fairness, there is no point in looking into the result. Shels are arguably favourites for the Premier title, Rovers are one of three or four clubs going for the First Division title - I'm no betting man but 3-0 would have sounded like a fairly good guess before kick-off.

I'm happy with how we played and I think getting beaten by a superior side will stand to us. Losing 3-0 to Shels is better experience than beating some junior side 6-0. And, as has been said, the defending for two of the goals was very questionable so the lads will learn from that.

There can't be any arguments about the two red cards. Two very bad tackles and completely out of place in a friendly game. Shels have an appalling disciplinary record and that all stems from Nutsy, who yet again risked a major heart attack last night. Nutsy is a nice bloke (and a Rovers fan, he regularly drinks with us after Rovers matches) but, much like his employer, he loses the head and acts like a madman. He's like a tiny Incredible Hulk. One or two Rovers fans had a go at him but only because of his actions.

Raheny Red
15/02/2006, 10:08 AM
Originally Posted by Passive
I'm no betting man but 3-0 would have sounded like a fairly good guess before kick-off.

CLICK - 5th post (http://forum.shelbournefc.ie/chat/viewtopic.php?t=5262) ;) :) :cool:

NY Hoop
15/02/2006, 10:10 AM
Rovers fans up to their usual antics :rolleyes:

Do you still think Nutsy is a hoop?

Never had any time for that ****er tbh. Typical of the obsession from tolka. If the usual antics is giving dogs abuse to fenlon which was deserved then welcome to the real world son. Its called football and guess what sometimes people curse too:rolleyes: Were there any arrests?

Outsung too. Pathetic home support. Oily got a fair slagging too.

No complaints about the result. The gulf was clear. Although Crawford should have walked too.

KOH

Gareth
15/02/2006, 10:15 AM
Never had any time for that ****er tbh. Typical of the obsession from tolka. If the usual antics is giving dogs abuse to fenlon which was deserved then welcome to the real world son. Its called football and guess what sometimes people curse too:rolleyes: Were there any arrests?

Outsung too. Pathetic home support. Oily got a fair slagging too.

No complaints about the result. The gulf was clear. Although Crawford should have walked too.

KOH

Couldn't care less if you shout abuse at a manager, but when you spit twice in his face, I think that should be comdemned.

Mark Breen
15/02/2006, 10:15 AM
He's like a tiny Incredible Hulk

I've never laughed so much in my life,

Good Man,

As for the match, 3-0 the least I would have expected against a new rovers team finding there feet, the card's Crawleys was a bad challenge and deserved his red, Greg's wasn't that bad and I think the conditions had a lot to do with it. I still think your number 7 (small bloke) could have gone aswell, even trying to start a fight with Heary during the game (fair play to the other rovers player who got between them and pushed your no. 7 away)

Ok now for Nutsy, as ALL rovers fan's know he's a very passionate man, and he does get fired up fairly easily but I’d rather see the manager of my team giving it loads to the ref from the sideline than abusing one of his own players for getting sent off. (That can and I’m sure will be sorted behind closed door's)

ps a rovers fan mentioned fenlon constantly going onto the pitch during the game, maybe he did ? but did that same rovers fan see Scully constantly going onto the pitch ???? I know i did,

swing's and roundabouts

WeAreRovers
15/02/2006, 10:36 AM
Shelbourne were an absolute disgrace last night. Crawley is a lowlife toerag and Crawford and Rogers should have gone too. It was a friendly FFS! There's something truly awry with Shels discipline wise. Shocking.

As for the game, in a perverse way I was quite happy at the end. Other than the schoolboy errors that led to the goals we played well. The lads settled down well in the second half and Delaney made 2 fine saves from O'Connor and Shields.

We'll have a much better idea where we are when we play Pats next week. As for the fans, a neutral would never know which team had been relegated and which were favourites for the Premier title. As ever Rovers passion gets misunderstood by the fans of Phibsboroughs 2nd club.

KOH

Gareth
15/02/2006, 10:40 AM
I never misunderstood your passion. It was one incident were a fan spat on a manager I didn't like too much. Apart from that, rovers support were vocal and out in decent numbers. You can't label all rovers fans with the same brush but looking at it the other way, you can't take the good support to defend the bad either? Not diagreeing with you on rovers good turnout but you have to agree you can't let fans spit on managers and players?

James
15/02/2006, 10:40 AM
As ever Rovers passion gets misunderstood by the fans of Phibsboroughs 2nd club.

:D nice one
think we're gona have lots of fun with this and the phibsboro slums song this season

DvB
15/02/2006, 11:38 AM
ps a rovers fan mentioned fenlon constantly going onto the pitch during the game, maybe he did ? but did that same rovers fan see Scully constantly going onto the pitch ???? I know i did,

swing's and roundabouts

I dont doubt that Scully walked onto the pitch during the course of the game, to that end i 'll take your word for it, the main difference though from our viewpoint (physically, not support wise) was Scully certainly didnt require restraining for this offence ala Fenlon & Collins, thats hardly like for like!

Judging on last nights performance the Premier Divison sides are in for an interesting season in dealing with Shelbourne & their lack of discipline.

Koh

wws
15/02/2006, 11:52 AM
good jebus

u can tell that a lotta ppl have been football deprived for toooo long reading this thread on a pre season kick about

all LoI pre season friendlies are irrelevant - always were always will be

that said roll on Harps tonite!

WeAreRovers
15/02/2006, 11:55 AM
all LoI pre season friendlies are irrelevant - always were always will be

That's the point. WTF were Shels up to, trying to break up Rovers players in a friendly? As DvB says, if the bring that lack of discipline into the actual league it'll be very interesting.

KOH

James
15/02/2006, 12:14 PM
good post Bohsfan, ive seen over the last few years similar threads on official city forums from ppl wanting the club to go out and spend huge money the club doesnt really have signing players here there and everywhere and caving to all players wages requests and pay them similar money to what shes / drogs are offering.

thats why i have so much respect for city chairman brian lennox. the man has the long term interests of cork city at heart, he builds progressively and prudently year on year and the results have shown that to bair fruit, 4,3,2,1 last for year finish's.

recently in the last few days we have announced a deal for new training facilities for the club so we're not dependant on using someone else's facilites. bit by bit the pieces of the jigsaw are falling into place and i honestly think that is the way to go for EL clubs. shels and possibly drogs too have a huge fall ahead of them in the not too distant future if there gambles on huge squads and wages doesnt pay off with leagues and sucess in europe.

Mark Breen
15/02/2006, 12:42 PM
[I]
I dont doubt that Scully walked onto the pitch during the course of the game, to that end i 'll take your word for it, the main difference though from our viewpoint (physically, not support wise) was Scully certainly didn’t require restraining for this offence ala Felon & Collins, that’s hardly like for like!

Judging on last night’s performance the Premier Divison sides are in for an interesting season in dealing with Shelbourne & their lack of discipline.

Koh

True he did go on and leave the pitch on his own accord, and i wasn't defending Fenlon either, i was just trying to show the rovers fans that you don't always see what your own team is getting up to. There where some nasty tackles last night but can you honestly tell me none came from rovers.

In any case i seriously think there is a huge over reaction going on here, so many people who didn't even go to the game are sticking the oar in, As most shel's fans have already stated Creepy Crawley deserved to get the red, Greg on the other hand may have got away with one of the yellows from another ref. And again there where a few rovers’ players who deserved a yellow and possibly two had the ref had some consistency, unfortunatly as i stated already what goes around comes around and i'm sure Rovers will get punished harsly during the season by a poor ref and so will shels, cork, derry etc...

The games wasn't that vicious there was about a 10 minute spell where it was more like a league game than a friendly but it was Shels against Rovers, never one of the more friendly games

pete
15/02/2006, 1:32 PM
Insanity getting 2 playters sent off in a pre season friendly you are winning easily but i must say not surprised given the example shown by Ollie & Fenlon. However a ref should not give a 2nd yellow in a friendly - should ask bench to sub the player.

Rory H
15/02/2006, 1:34 PM
why?

if the player is being a bad egg he should get the punishment

babydol
15/02/2006, 1:38 PM
I agree with Pete. Creepy deserved his sending off - no doubt about that. but O'Halloran shouldn't have got the second yellow. Askin the bench to have him taken off is much more appropriate in a friendly (i use the term loosley) match.

Dricky
15/02/2006, 2:03 PM
why?

if the player is being a bad egg he should get the punishment

What, he should be beaten??:D

Slash/ED
15/02/2006, 3:44 PM
Crawley and O'Hallaron suspended? Christ we're rightly f*cked.

Sheridan
15/02/2006, 4:35 PM
You CANNOT pick-up a ban from a friendly. That's ridiculous. They're not FA/FAI recognised etc fixtures.
Yes you can. Yes they are. (All friendlies are approved by the eL and overseen by eL-appointed officials.)

It's a perfectly cogent policy, too. Offer players carte blanche to behave and settle old scores as they please in pre-season and the potential for abuse is manifest. Stuart Malcolm is banned from City's opener in Cork as a result of his sending off against the Kildare & District League at ALSAA. Happened to Robbie Doyle last season also.

As far as I'm aware, the law only pertains to red cards for violent conduct (as opposed to technical offences) and is subject to approval by a disciplinary committee.