PDA

View Full Version : Lee Trundle

Pages : [1] 2

as_i_say
02/02/2006, 8:01 AM
Would it be safe to say that since he hasnt gotten a move he wont get a call up for éire? A lad playing 3rd tier football is no use to us despite his rep. A pity though.

Tenderloins
02/02/2006, 8:40 AM
Although he has 17 goals so far this season, he hasn't scored in his last ten games. Is his form gone?

as_i_say
02/02/2006, 8:41 AM
i think he's been injured

zinedineontour
02/02/2006, 8:57 AM
Think he should be given a call up talented player .. been out injured for a while ..

Hibs4Ever
02/02/2006, 10:16 AM
Don't like the guy purely because of his comments about the Eircom League after Glen Crowe played against Greece and he wasn't selected for any squads

zinedineontour
02/02/2006, 10:31 AM
Don't like the guy purely because of his comments about the Eircom League after Glen Crowe played against Greece and he wasn't selected for any squads

well he has a point .. if glen crowe got into and ireland squad and jason byrne ....

gustavo
02/02/2006, 10:44 AM
that was 3 years ago where was trundle playing then?

zinedineontour
02/02/2006, 10:49 AM
that was 3 years ago where was trundle playing then?

wrexham ... whats your point ?? glen crowe and jason byrne are nowhere near in the same class as trundle ...

Hibs4Ever
02/02/2006, 10:52 AM
wrexham ... whats your point ?? glen crowe and jason byrne are nowhere near in the same class as trundle ...

You know this HOW?

tetsujin1979
02/02/2006, 11:01 AM
You sure about that? I thought he was in a few squads, but never made it on to the pitch

eirebhoy
02/02/2006, 11:12 AM
You sure about that? I thought he was in a few squads, but never made it on to the pitch
He came on against Norway under Kerr. Didn't get much time, just brought him on to get a cap I suppose.

pete
02/02/2006, 11:28 AM
No point to Trundle. He isn't better than current squas options. Sure where would he be 6-7th choice? Better off giving young irish players a chance.

as_i_say
02/02/2006, 12:46 PM
if he's still at swansea I'd have to agree but theres no doubt he's special-either his agent is useless or he's a lazy git because he's definitely up to championship standard anyway

Hibs4Ever
02/02/2006, 12:48 PM

At the time Crowe played against Greece (and Trundle start bad mouthing the Eircom League) Trundle wasn't in any squads

zinedineontour
02/02/2006, 1:03 PM
You know this HOW?

well because as a shels supporter ive seen both of them play and ive seen trundle a few times now ... People go on about trying out Irish players first like who ffs ?? the only fit strikers we have now are doyle, morrison and keane .. why not try trundle in a friendly ?

eirebhoy
02/02/2006, 1:24 PM
At the time Crowe played against Greece (and Trundle start bad mouthing the Eircom League) Trundle wasn't in any squads
What did he say? All I can find is his agent saying:

"The likes of Glen Crowe have played and Lee is capable of doing a job."

Hibs4Ever
02/02/2006, 2:00 PM
What did he say? All I can find is his agent saying:

"The likes of Glen Crowe have played and Lee is capable of doing a job."

He said he doesn't know anything about the Eircom League and has never seen a match, but that it is obviously a much worse standard than the lowest english league (which he was in at the time)

eirebhoy
02/02/2006, 3:14 PM
He said he doesn't know anything about the Eircom League and has never seen a match, but that it is obviously a much worse standard than the lowest english league (which he was in at the time)
Doesn't seem a bad thing to say, he doesn't know the standard of the Eircom League. Damn goes that rumour that he's been to a few Pats games during his trips over to Inchicore then. :)

Roverstillidie
02/02/2006, 3:21 PM
.. why not try trundle in a friendly ?

because he is english? :p

zinedineontour
02/02/2006, 3:31 PM

true unlike matty holland , morrison , kilbane so on so forth ...

livehead1
02/02/2006, 5:54 PM
o my dead lord, must every f*cking thread on this website end up saying that a player who wants to play for us is english. i dont think there has ever been any player who was born in england who has not received criticism from someone. for years he has said that he is irish, grew up wearing an ireland shirt whilst many friends around him were wearing england shirts, i feel something in common with him as i was in the same boat. for you to come and say that is not just an insult to your inability to read (if you had read, you would see he is irish) but also and insult to lee trundle and to thousands of 2nd 3rd gen irish who after your idiotic comments can probably be considered more irish than your fine self.

dr_peepee
03/02/2006, 9:08 AM
It's a pain in the arse allright....

Hibs4Ever
03/02/2006, 9:29 AM
Lads he scores a few goals in LEAGE 1 and LEAGUE 2. That doesn't mean ANYTHING.

David Connolly scored for FUN in every Championship club he was with and no one thought he was good enough:confused:

Trundle scores a few goals in a sh!t division, doesn't make him an international footballer

zinedineontour
03/02/2006, 9:32 AM
Lads he scores a few goals in LEAGE 1 and LEAGUE 2. That doesn't mean ANYTHING.

David Connolly scored for FUN in every Championship club he was with and no one thought he was good enough:confused:

Trundle scores a few goals in a sh!t division, doesn't make him an international footballer

yeah but it got jason byrne , glen crowe , jonathan macken,alan lee into the squad why not give the lad a chance .. we are hardly blessed with talent up front ..

Hibs4Ever
03/02/2006, 10:06 AM
yeah but it got jason byrne , glen crowe , jonathan macken,alan lee into the squad why not give the lad a chance .. we are hardly blessed with talent up front ..

Macken was in premiership with Man City when capped, Alan Lee in Championship with Cardiff. Crowe and Byrne in Irish premier Division playing European football

zinedineontour
03/02/2006, 10:09 AM
Macken was in premiership with Man City when capped, Alan Lee in Championship with Cardiff. Crowe and Byrne in Irish premier Division playing European football

macken scored how many for city ? lee wasnt getting his game for cardiff ? byrne and crowe makes me laugh again ... nowhere near the standard of trundle .. some people really do have something against the lad but if you have seen him play you will realise he can do things that only crowe and byrne could dream about .. decent plodders but unlike kevin doyle havent got that extra bit of skill ..

tetsujin1979
03/02/2006, 10:09 AM
Was Alan Lee at Rotherham when he made his debut? Still in the Championship/Division 1/Division 2 (delete according to preference) though

<edit>Yep he was, check http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=9679 for the 2002/2004 season, he came on against Norway in Brian Kerr's first home game.

ColinR
03/02/2006, 10:17 AM

macken though didn't score many in the premiership.
lee had a good spell with rotherham, but the goals quickly dried up
and both byrne and crowe never seemed half as good in europe against the better opposition.

TheJamaicanP.M.
03/02/2006, 10:19 AM

Another Rovers fan highlighting his lack of education.:mad:

TheJamaicanP.M.
03/02/2006, 10:23 AM
Crowe and Byrne in Irish premier Division playing European football

Is this the same European in which Longford Town got knocked out by a Welsh team. Anyone who thinks Crowe or Byrne are international class needs their head examined.

Hibs4Ever
03/02/2006, 10:42 AM
Is this the same European in which Longford Town got knocked out by a Welsh team. Anyone who thinks Crowe or Byrne are international class needs their head examined.

So you're comparing Shels European run to Longfords one off match?? Makes sense.

Anyone who thinks an average LEAGUE ONE player is international class needs there head examined

FarBeag
03/02/2006, 10:50 AM
I really can't see why some people won't give the guy a chance. What else does he have to say or do to prove that he is committed to the green shirt.We need strikers, the one's we have don't appear to be banging in the goals ffs, look at Clinton who can't get into a very average Palace team.He may have being born in England but he considers himself Irish he can score goals, is creative so that's good enough for me.

ColinR
03/02/2006, 11:12 AM
So you're comparing Shels European run to Longfords one off match?? Makes sense.

the problem was that byrne was quite poor in shels european run - they did well because they had a very solid defence. this year he did bag a few goals - but in fairness they were against glentoran who would only be on a par with eL teams. in the big european games he just hasn't produced the goods

TheJamaicanP.M.
03/02/2006, 11:22 AM

Anyone who thinks an average LEAGUE ONE player is international class needs there head examined

I think you'll find that I didn't say Trundle was international class.

I was simply pointing out that a poor Welsh team made a mockery of one of our better EL teams, yet we can consider EL players ahead of the star man with a top Welsh club.

I think you'll also find that Crowe wasn't part of Shel's "European run", while Byrne played most of his football on the right side of midfield during those games.

dr_peepee
03/02/2006, 12:05 PM
His impressive goals taly is matched by his equaly impressive assist tally not to mention his obvious technical abillity... All this along with the FACT that he has applied himself and excelled at every step up in standard over the last few years. Who's to say he won't cope equally as well with the transition to another higher level... Be it Premiership or international football

He's worth a look... Full stop

fergalr
03/02/2006, 12:20 PM
Folks - Groundhog day was yesterday, can we move on?

pete
03/02/2006, 12:51 PM
macken scored how many for city ? lee wasnt getting his game for cardiff ? byrne and crowe makes me laugh again ... nowhere near the standard of trundle.

Macken, Lee, Byrne & Crowe may have got a couple of caps but were also proven not to be good enough so they are not in the sqaud now. If Trundle is the same quality then pointless letting him take the squad position of someone else. He plays in League One which considering how poor the bottom half of the Championship is doesn't say much.

Are all 2G & 3G people with irish decent irish? No. If I say Trundle is not irish i am not trying to insult other 2G or 3G people who have irish ties. Just because you have relatives from another country or were even born there does not make you irish! I was not born in Ireland but had lived all but 2 years here & have irish parents. I was born in London but that does not make me english.

:rolleyes:

zinedineontour
03/02/2006, 1:01 PM
Macken, Lee, Byrne & Crowe may have got a couple of caps but were also proven not to be good enough so they are not in the sqaud now. If Trundle is the same quality then pointless letting him take the squad position of someone else. He plays in League One which considering how poor the bottom half of the Championship is doesn't say much.

Are all 2G & 3G people with irish decent irish? No. If I say Trundle is not irish i am not trying to insult other 2G or 3G people who have irish ties. Just because you have relatives from another country or were even born there does not make you irish! I was not born in Ireland but had lived all but 2 years here & have irish parents. I was born in London but that does not make me english.

:rolleyes:

the lad wants to play for ireland and always has good enough for me .. didnt say you were ever trying to insult the irish ??

he has proved to be a very capable player and really dont know what some on here have such a problem with .. give him a try in a friendly and see how he does ..

eirebhoy
03/02/2006, 1:03 PM
Aye but Trundle is in the minority like Kilbane, Breen, Connolly, etc.

as_i_say
03/02/2006, 1:38 PM
I was actually hoping someone would have an insight into why he didnt get a move rather than another brit for ireland debate. Trundle wants to play for us and qualifies for us so really the only debate is whether he is good enough.

He is obviously a talented footballer and surely worth a place in any championship team but imo there is something wrong if he didnt get a move-possibly this injury he has at the moment has turned into something more sinister and at 29 maybe clubs werent prepared to have a punt.

I'm very pis sed off at this cos we badly need strikers but league one is just not good enough.

pete
03/02/2006, 2:04 PM
Keane, Morrison, Doyle & Elliot are clearly the best 4 options currently. For Trundle to be even considered one of those would have to be injured.

zinedineontour
03/02/2006, 2:41 PM
Keane, Morrison, Doyle & Elliot are clearly the best 4 options currently. For Trundle to be even considered one of those would have to be injured.

of which elliott is so there we go frees a spot up for trundle ..

livehead1
03/02/2006, 4:02 PM

trundle has scored more goals than elliot and doyle in his career, is a better footballer than both of them and is also more experienced than the two of them. He, at this moment in time deserves a chance as a result of his goalscoring exploits, i would like to hear what maes elliot and doyle 'clearly' better options. When you think this through, they are far from better options, they are however, good young players with potential.

zinedineontour
03/02/2006, 4:20 PM
trundle has scored more goals than elliot and doyle in his career, is a better footballer than both of them and is also more experienced than the two of them. He, at this moment in time deserves a chance as a result of his goalscoring exploits, i would like to hear what maes elliot and doyle 'clearly' better options. When you think this through, they are far from better options, they are however, good young players with potential.

well after sticking up for trundle and wanting them in the squad I think elliott and doyle are obviously ahead of him ... doyle has been brilliant in a table topping championship team and elliott did it last season for sunderland and scored for ireland already so they are ahead in that regard ..

he has more experience of lower leagues than they other two but none of any form of international football unlike the other two at full and u21 level ... he is worth a shout in a friendly but not ahead of doyle or elliott in pecking order ..

pete
03/02/2006, 8:12 PM
i would like to hear what maes elliot and doyle 'clearly' better options. When you think this through, they are far from better options, they are however, good young players with potential.

I don't really know if Elliot is as good as he made out to be but both himself & Doyle had more or elss 1 goal every 2 U21 games. Doyle has also played & scored in European competition & has excelled at every level hes played at. The fact that both have good 10 years career ahead of them while Trundle is past a footballers prime makes them much better options.

eirebhoy
03/02/2006, 10:55 PM
I agree. Keane, Morrison, Doyle and Elliott are first choice. Elliott is just as proven as Doyle. He had as many goals this time last season as Doyle has now and has been excellent for the most part in his few Ireland caps. He was also performing very well this season before injury.

dr_peepee
04/02/2006, 6:42 AM

Not necessarily... Doyle and Elliot are interchangable and if either were out of a squad I'd Imagine Wavey Davey Connolly would be in... I'd consider Trundle as an alternative to Morrison.... Who, by the way, has unfairly been discarded by many on this board.

The thing is though would Keane and one from Doyle or Elliot form a worthy partnership at international level? I mean it begs the same questions Martin Jols been asking about a Keane Defoe partnership. For me at the minute the best Doyle/Elliot can hope for in an Ireland shirt is as an Impact Sub or replacement for Keane either through absence or direct substitution.

pete
04/02/2006, 11:16 AM
Doyle is as physical as Morrison who is not a "target man". Doyle isn't a striker but allround forward. Elliot only scored maybe 12 goals in the Championship last season in what is exceptionally crap team so i don't know if he that good yet. 1 performance against the Faroes doesn't prove much...

zinedineontour
04/02/2006, 12:18 PM
Doyle is as physical as Morrison who is not a "target man". Doyle isn't a striker but allround forward. Elliot only scored maybe 12 goals in the Championship last season in what is exceptionally crap team so i don't know if he that good yet. 1 performance against the Faroes doesn't prove much...

dont forget his goal in cyrpus as well .. and he scored 15 goals last season as well ... when played up front this season for sunderland he has looked the part ... just his back injury is very worrying ...

dr_peepee
04/02/2006, 2:10 PM

We haven't had a target man since Quinn and I never claimed that Morrison was one. He's bigger that Doyle, full stop, as is Lee Trundle.

I personally don't believe you can get away with two small to average sized forwards in football unless you have the technical abillity and organisation throughout the pitch. Something we'll struggle with given the player pool we have, coupled with the limited exposure players have with each other on international football

Lets get some perspective here. I'm as optimistic as most on when it comes to Doyles progress and I sincerely hope he turns out half as good as people here seem to predict. But as of this point he's flavour of the month and has done no more than what Morrison, Elliot, Connolly have already acheived.

The thread is about Lee Trundle. Lee Trundle offers something different to what we already have. That can't be argued. Whether it's gonna improve on what options we have, can be argued and can only be resolved after a call up.