PDA

View Full Version : eL clubs vote for change.

Pages : [1] 2

Risteard
28/01/2006, 12:47 PM
Eircom League clubs vote for change
Saturday, 28 January 2006 1:30

FAI to operate a financially viable league in 2007

A vote has been taken today at the eircom League AGM in Limerick which is set to change the structure of the League next year.

18 of the 22 clubs voted in favour of re-structuring the league at the end of next season, with no promotion or relegation to take place.

It is the first step towards a full merger between the League and the FAI, following proposals by the FAI to operate a financially viable league in 2007, when clubs will be placed in divisions which reflect this season's league placing, facilities and each club's marketability.

So what i get from that is there will be promotion & relegation but it will have nothing to do with where your team finishes in the league.

I'd say this will probably lead to the likes of Rovers, Dub City/ Waterford, Ramblers/ Galway & Limerick putting new player deals aside and spending money elsewhere.

Poor Student
28/01/2006, 12:59 PM
Source?

A face
28/01/2006, 1:14 PM
Source?

Exactly .... it has a life span of about two minutes if there is no source provided !!

Slash/ED
28/01/2006, 1:16 PM
I find it hard to believe it would get such a high number of votes.

eirebhoy
28/01/2006, 1:18 PM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/2006/0128/eircomleague.html

Poor Student
28/01/2006, 1:19 PM
Just saw it's on aertel myself. How did they butter up all but 4 clubs?:confused:

A face
28/01/2006, 1:22 PM
18 of the 22 clubs voted in favour :eek: :eek:

Jebus H Crisps !! ..... 81%

That is unreal .... were clubs given an impossible choice or is there something that we dont know about ??

Slash/ED
28/01/2006, 1:26 PM
That is very, very strange - to say the least. Though nobody here seems quite sure on exactly what it is they've voted for, maybe the proposal isn't quite what the media made it out to be? I've kept out of the threads on it here as I'm still not quite sure what it is the proposal is exactly, so such a majority would hopefully mean it's not as bad as feared on here, or is that wishful thinking?

MariborKev
28/01/2006, 1:30 PM
So what i get from that is there will be promotion & relegation but it will have nothing to do with where your team finishes in the league.

Incorrect.

dcfcsteve
28/01/2006, 1:38 PM
Would be good to know who the 4 dissidents were.

I'd be very worried if I was a fan of Dublin City, Cobh, and possibly also UCD. Hard to know who'd win out between Dundalk and Drogheda as well, but I'd say the Drogs are in better shape at the moment.

Anto McC
28/01/2006, 1:44 PM
This is a very significant moment for the clubs and league we know and love,i seriously hope its a good one but i fear it's not!

Battery Rover
28/01/2006, 1:54 PM
From that vote it seems we have made the right choice then to put most of what we spend into infastructure and going to a very much local based policy for this season.

Does this mean that the premier next year will be picked by region and facilities then regardless of where teams finish.

Poor Student
28/01/2006, 1:54 PM
I'd be very worried if I was a fan of Dublin City, Cobh, and possibly also UCD.

Oh I am worried Steve.;) The dissidents are Dub City, Bray, UCD and one of Kilkenny or Monaghan I think.

thejollyrodger
28/01/2006, 1:56 PM
Im pretty excited about this new league to be honest. (bar the ground share of course). I cant belive there has been such a land slide support !!

Poor Student
28/01/2006, 2:05 PM
Im pretty excited about this new league to be honest. (bar the ground share of course). I cant belive there has been such a land slide support !!

How could you be? What's going to change except shuffling teams around on non-sporting criteria?:confused:

Maynard
28/01/2006, 2:14 PM
I'd say this will probably lead to the likes of Rovers, Dub City/ Waterford, Ramblers/ Galway & Limerick putting new player deals aside and spending money elsewhere.

Nice thought, however due to the rediculous timing of the vote most or all of the clubs have already bought their players and aside from some U21's have got their squads together training and playing friendlies.

BTW if anyone doesn't think this f*cking stinks to high heaven then they must have a peg on their nose.

Passive
28/01/2006, 2:14 PM
Maybe it's time we started taking non-sporting criteria a little more seriously in this country.

Have to say that I'm very surprised such a large number of clubs voted for it.

These are interesting times.

Stevo Da Gull
28/01/2006, 2:15 PM
The details sound scetchy but I aint really liking this so far. 18 outta 22, wow.

sullanefc
28/01/2006, 2:16 PM
Maybe it's time we started taking non-sporting criteria a little more seriously in this country.

I agree. A league with a good geographical spread of clubs with each one having large fan bases can only be a good thing.

Poor Student
28/01/2006, 2:20 PM
I agree. A league with a good geographical spread of clubs with each one having large fan bases can only be a good thing.

It doesn't work like that and you know it. Waterford have a nice unchallenged population area but it doesn't matter squat when you have a poor team and are run terribly.

Maynard
28/01/2006, 2:20 PM
Just saw it's on aertel myself. How did they butter up all but 4 clubs?:confused:

As I've said before on another thread; one group were promised immediate reinstatement to the Premier Division no matter what, and another were told that the FAI felt they had the potential to be there in a few years and would be given the funding to do so. Group 3 were told to f*ck off, and by that I mean not told anything. For what it's worth I would be almost certain that the dissidents were us, UCD, Bray and Monaghan.

Aside from the 3 clubs already earmarked for a good shafting I imagine those who were spellbound by John Delaney and his Pied Piper routine face a game of Russian roulette to avoid a similar fate. Whichever clubs who voted for this and proceed to get f*cked by the FAI deserve everything they get.

Dodge
28/01/2006, 2:24 PM
The clubs are already there :rolleyes:

What makes you think the fans will come now?

Poor Student
28/01/2006, 2:24 PM
As I've said before on another thread; one group were promised immediate reinstatement to the Premier Division no matter what, and another were told that the FAI felt they had the potential to be there in a few years and would be given the funding to do so.

I know, it's still hard to believe though. If this will go down as preicted then at least one club will rue the day they voted for it.

Anto McC
28/01/2006, 2:26 PM
Does anyone else feel like we've sold our souls to the devil in return for a lot of false promises

Maynard
28/01/2006, 2:29 PM
Does anyone else feel like we've sold our souls to the devil in return for a lot of false promises

Very much so.

Stevo Da Gull
28/01/2006, 2:29 PM

Aye, I dont trust this stuff at all.

Buile Shuibhne
28/01/2006, 2:30 PM
Obviously there's a lot more detail and info, that we the supporters are not privy to. Just like the Bohs/Shels groundshare proposal, there is a lot of ill-informed speculation - simply because we're being told nothing.

For 18 out of 22 clubs to vote for this latest League change - it can't be half as bad as speculated in the press earlier this week.

Poor Student
28/01/2006, 2:33 PM
For 18 out of 22 clubs to vote for this latest League change - it can't be half as bad as speculated in the press earlier this week.

For 4 clubs to reject it there must be something wrong with it too you could assume.

sullanefc
28/01/2006, 2:36 PM
For 4 clubs to reject it there must be something wrong with it too you could assume.

Only clubs with something to worry about ;)

Poor Student
28/01/2006, 2:40 PM
Only clubs with something to worry about ;)

Yeah, go laugh about it, I fail to see what's amusing.

Kildare Lad
28/01/2006, 2:53 PM
Im confused, So in 2007 will the league be the way it is now? Will teams get kicked out of the league?

A face
28/01/2006, 3:01 PM
Im confused, So in 2007 will the league be the way it is now? Will teams get kicked out of the league?

I dont think it will be kicked out but more of not elected to top flight !! :eek:

Where the fook are we going with this lads, i know we dont all have any info, but that is not our fault. It, at this point in time looks really bad for us.

chippie0001
28/01/2006, 3:01 PM

In short at the end of this season the league as we know it is dead. There will either be a 10/12 team league starting the following march under the control of the FAI. Now remember this is the body who could not get a ref to attend a league game. The FAI will agree on a criteria that will determine the teams in the top flights, it won't be solely based on where you finish this season.

I am against this, and I honestly don't think Bohs have anything to fear so that can hardly be the reason. We must be the first league in Europe where on the pitch now only counts for some of it. I agree that the facilities etc need to be sorted but the FAI ignored them under licencing for years now. All in all a sad day for the football purist, but the way things are going you will be going to see St Patricks Rovers v Shelhemians in a few years.:rolleyes:

Poor Student
28/01/2006, 3:03 PM
I dont think it will be kicked out but more of not elected to top flight !! :eek:

Where the fook are we going with this lads, i know we dont all have any info, but that is not our fault. It, at this point in time looks really bad for us.

Fair play to you Face, you're one of the more outspoken from fans of clubs who know that they are safe no matter what.

Kildare Lad
28/01/2006, 3:07 PM
Still confused! So in 2007 will there be a first division? And more importantly will Kildare County be in it?

Poor Student
28/01/2006, 3:09 PM
Am I the only one who sees plummeting attendences outside the top half of the Premier? Particularly the First Division.

sniffa
28/01/2006, 3:10 PM
Still confused! So in 2007 will there be a first division? And more importantly will Kildare County be in it?

Kildare County will be in the new division one next season. Even if County win the league this year by 10 or 20 points they will be in the first division next season.

sniffa
28/01/2006, 3:13 PM
Somebody please give me a good reason to buy a season ticket this year.
A whole year with nothing to play for...

Anto McC
28/01/2006, 3:15 PM

Exactly,we sold our souls lads,is it too late to get them back?

dcfcsteve
28/01/2006, 3:16 PM
Will be interesting to see if the IFA or Irish League come out with any similar structural changes over the next year or two.

Roverstillidie
28/01/2006, 3:18 PM
it will be interesting to see if any of the doomsday scenario's the UCD boys are peddling were actually part of the more detailed plan 18 of 22 accepted

dcfcsteve
28/01/2006, 3:19 PM

Errr - because the proposed changes won't happen until the following season ? This season is business as usual.

Because there's still trophies to be played for and won ?

Because if you want your team to have the best chance possible of surviving any shake-up in Irish football, then they'll need as much money and support as possible right now ?

All fairly solid reasons in my opinion....

Kildare Lad
28/01/2006, 3:20 PM
Kildare County will be in the new division one next season. Even if County win the league this year by 10 or 20 points they will be in the first division next season.

Thank you,

Am I the only one who sees plummeting attendences outside the top half of the Premier? Particularly the First Division.

Yeah the crowds in the 1st division are rubbish, we get crowds of around 200, When I was down in Limerick id say there was less than 200, When I went to Richmond when we played Dublin City there was about 250 same and when I was down in Kilkenny there was only about 150 there.

Poor Student
28/01/2006, 3:20 PM
it will be interesting to see if any of the doomsday scenario's the UCD boys are peddling were actually part of the more detailed plan 18 of 22 accepted

What do you mean peddling? We can only go on the info we're given. What are we supposed to do if the only info given reveals impending doom?

A face
28/01/2006, 3:21 PM
Fair play to you Face, you're one of the more outspoken from fans of clubs who know that they are safe no matter what.

Well PS, if you think about it ... whats the benefit in playing in a shíte league, its doesn't matter where you are ranked .... If the FAI fúck this up, we will all suffer. One of the few things we had going for us in August (circa time focus was swinging back over to Eng. Prem) this year was the league still have three teams in the running, that was brilliant for the league. If we end up with a league like SPL for example, who'll want to watch that ?? Dont know about the rest of the country but here in Cork we'll get no new supporters that way.

I said earlier (different thread i think) that fact that the league may well be manufactured wont help things, remember teams might not be there on merit and might not last kissing time, not the same as being in the leauge on merit, alot of hard work will have been done, experience gained etc. .... if clubs dont have that, then they might go straight back down. The FAI might think the league is a puppet with strings, but if it does start to do what they want, where will it leave us ...... think of their track record, i mean .... thats pretty much all we have to go on here !!

sniffa
28/01/2006, 3:34 PM
Errr - because the proposed changes won't happen until the following season ? This season is business as usual.

Because if you want your team to have the best chance possible of surviving any shake-up in Irish football, then they'll need as much money and support as possible right now ?

All fairly solid reasons in my opinion....

Sound reasons if you support one of the top sides in the premier division and have Europe on the horizon. Not very good reasoning if you support a club like Kildare County or a similar small club. The League and FAI Cups are a nice romantic dream but really is just that, a dream. The only competition that we could have an chance of winning, the league, is now a non starter. Even if we ran away with it we will be denied promotion.

Student Mullet
28/01/2006, 4:02 PM

All fairly solid reasons in my opinion....What do you make of all this Steve?
You were very outspoken against franchise football a few weeks ago when we were discussing Dublin City.

Red4Eva
28/01/2006, 4:09 PM
i don't get why people(or just the ucd fans) think attendances will plummet :confused: the same trophies are still there to be played for, same european places too. 18 out of 22 suggests there's somethin good here, obviously the 4 dissidents are the ones who will get f*cked over but, unfortunately, tough sh*t lads(i've gotten very bitter after going to places like mons, kildare&dublin city for the last 6 years). somethin had to be done with our league cos it can't really get any worse. i'd like to hear the full details of the proposals b4 passing any definitive judgement but i don't think the fai is "out to screw everyone". if they were to be truly negligent they would have just left the league to rot.

Bring on 2007.......oh ya 2006 as well

Roverstillidie
28/01/2006, 5:28 PM
What do you mean peddling? We can only go on the info we're given. What are we supposed to do if the only info given reveals impending doom?

but thats not quite true. the FAI are being deliberatly vague. you are filling in blanks with worst case scenarios.

again, have any of the doomsday scenarios peddled by the UCD boys actually arisen in the documents 18 of the 22 clubs voted for.

and can we stop guessing who the 4 naysayers are? totally unhelpful.

Maynard
28/01/2006, 5:45 PM
Spoke to somebody who was in Limerick. Apparently there is still alot yet to come out (ok, we knew that:rolleyes: ) but that it won't be as straighforward as "We don't like UCD, Bray and Dublin so please eff off"
Can't elaborate any more, but will know more during the week.
Delaney may have bitten off more than he can chew on this one...we can only hope.