PDA

View Full Version : Reading star rules out Irish switch(now says he would consider it)

Pages : [1] 2 3

Ash
19/01/2006, 2:40 PM
taken from www.eleven-a-side.com

Reading star rules out Irish switch
January 19, 2006

Reading striker Dave Kitson has ruled out the prospect of declaring for the
Republic of Ireland, insisting he does not feel the use of Uefa’s grandparent rule to decide international eligibility is an appropriate means of building a national team.

New Republic of Ireland manager Steve Staunton has declared that he will adopt a fervent recruitment policy through the “granny rule” in a bid to bolster his options for the forthcoming European Championship qualifiers.

The Dundalk man underlined the possibility of bringing Kitson, Swansea City’s Lee Trundle and Gary McSheffrey of Coventry City.

However, the 13-goal Royals front man has no interest in representing Ireland, saying he would be unable to bear the prospect of taking up a place which could be used by an Irish-born player.

The 26-year-old told the Irish Independent: “It’s nice to be thought of so highly by somebody that I respect within the game. But I wouldn’t do it.

“It’s got nothing to do with Ireland or the Irish people ... It’s just that I don’t believe in the grandparent rule and it’s something that I don’t like about international football. This is my own little stand and that’s just it. I think you should play for the country you’re born in.

“We have got a terrific young talent here at Reading called Shane Long, who has just played in two FA Cup ties against West Brom. I don’t want to be the player standing in the way of him or Kevin Doyle playing for their country.”

Liam Lawrence, on the other hand, has applied for an Irish passport

Tired&Emotional
19/01/2006, 2:47 PM
How noble of Kitson!!

Raheny Red
19/01/2006, 2:48 PM
If Kitson doesn't make the English team he will come back a begging just as quick. Reminds me of the Morrison issue on a smaller scale!:( :mad: :rolleyes:

Pablo
19/01/2006, 3:00 PM
Respect to the man. He's dead right.

A team full of second rate Brits who once had a pint of Guinness does not make a national side

finlma
19/01/2006, 3:04 PM
Respect to him for sticking to his beliefs. I would disagree with him about having to play for the country you were born in - 2nd gen should certainly have the right.

Peadar
19/01/2006, 3:10 PM
If Kitson doesn't make the English team he will come back a begging just as quick.

Just shoot your mouth off without knowing the facts, why don't you.

Kits has always held this view even though he knows there's little chace of him forcing his way into the England squad.

Fair play to him for being honest and upfront about it.

lofty9
19/01/2006, 3:47 PM
Fair play for his honesty as there is no chance he'll be lining up for England. So he obviously is doing it for the right reasons in that he wouldn't feel right.

I know a few Englishborn guys with Irish grandparents and they see themselves as Irish. They always recite that it was their grandfather who set up a new life for himself and family in England and that they had too much respect for him in that they feel Irish more than English. It really depends on the grandparent in question - he was staunchly anti brit and a devout Irish Catholic. The Catholicism part has filtered to these guys as well as they would refer to themselves as Irish Catholics:confused:. They follow the national team and would not appreciate Kitsons own view on 2nd generation Irishness.

NeilMcD
19/01/2006, 4:10 PM
I agree lofty and the point should be made that this is a complex and personal issue and for some people they grow up in a very Irish household in Britain and feel Irish and are Irish. For others maybe like Cascarino and Morrisson and Holland its something that came to them in later life when they saw it as a chance to play international football. The choice as manager is should the 2nd sort of guy be looked for. I dont think any sane person would have a problem with the 1st sort of guy playing for ireland eg. Breen, Kilbane, etc.

The Stars
19/01/2006, 4:15 PM
Respect to the man. He's dead right.

A team full of second rate Brits who once had a pint of Guinness does not make a national side
Agree with you Pablo........is that ok NeilMcD?

NeilMcD
19/01/2006, 4:31 PM
I dont think anybody would like a team full of players who do not qualify and only qualify as they drank Guinnness. But It is my understanding of the rules that drinking Guinness does not play any part as to their qualification to play for Ireland. Maybe I am wrong and FIFA have changed the rules.

jbyrne
19/01/2006, 4:39 PM
For others maybe like Cascarino and Morrisson and Holland its something that came to them in later life when they saw it as a chance to play international football

didnt morrisson play under 21s for us? hardly later in life

pete
19/01/2006, 4:45 PM
didnt morrisson play under 21s for us? hardly later in life

Very much doubt it.

gustavo
19/01/2006, 4:47 PM
think he may have played one or two games for them

livehead1
19/01/2006, 5:05 PM
Very much doubt it.
Morrison played once for Ireland under 21's

livehead1
19/01/2006, 5:06 PM
Fair play for his honesty as there is no chance he'll be lining up for England. So he obviously is doing it for the right reasons in that he wouldn't feel right.

I know a few Englishborn guys with Irish grandparents and they see themselves as Irish. They always recite that it was their grandfather who set up a new life for himself and family in England and that they had too much respect for him in that they feel Irish more than English. It really depends on the grandparent in question - he was staunchly anti brit and a devout Irish Catholic. The Catholicism part has filtered to these guys as well as they would refer to themselves as Irish Catholics:confused:. They follow the national team and would not appreciate Kitsons own view on 2nd generation Irishness.
Kitson's 3rd Generation, not second, so i doubt his views bother 2nd Gen, like myself very much

Dodge
19/01/2006, 5:10 PM
The age limit should be 18. Think Townsend was the oldest "convert"

Schumi
19/01/2006, 5:11 PM
Kitson's 3rd Generation, not second, so i doubt his views bother 2nd Gen, like myself very much
Will it bother your kids?

jbyrne
19/01/2006, 5:17 PM
Very much doubt it.

morisson made his debut against either portugal or estonia for under 21s. was 22 at the time and then broke into the senior squad soon after scoring on his debut against croatia. was 23 in the last world cup so as i said he hardly waited around to see what offers came in before he declared for us. glad he did to as he always gives 100% and has 9 goals for us which isnt bad

Peadar
19/01/2006, 5:20 PM
glad he did to as he always gives 100% and has 9 goals for us which isnt bad

Yeah, he did well in the last campaign and seems to be getting better with age.

Fergie's Son
19/01/2006, 6:35 PM
I admire Kitson as he is sticking to his principles. That's fine and I admire someone who wants to play for Ireland as well.

FarBeag
19/01/2006, 7:19 PM
admire Kitsons honesty and he is defiantly not a glory hunter.I Think people should respect his decision.

Morrison made his debut against Portugal in June 2001 at Tolka Park in an u21 fixture, so I guess that is young enough to make a decision on the national team of your choice.

Roverstillidie
19/01/2006, 7:42 PM
so I guess that is young enough to make a decision on the national team of your choice.

no no no no no no no.

if there is a choice involved, **** off. 30 seconds thought or bye bye.

FarBeag
19/01/2006, 8:00 PM
Ok..RTID..I agree with you.You Certainly should be aware that you are Irish before the age of 21 and Morisson obviously was unable to identify this for one reason or another. I think he had a bit of an identity crisis at that age before deciding he was in fact Irish.

livehead1
19/01/2006, 8:03 PM
Will it bother your kids?
no they'll be born in ireland, i would assume it shouldn't be a question ;)

TonyD
19/01/2006, 8:45 PM
Fair play to Kitson. It's one of the most honest and decent statements or decisions that I've seen a footballer take in a long time. He could walk into the Irish squad any time he wanted to, and thereby enhance his career(and earning power) considerably. It's to his immense credit that he's not taking that route. It's also to his credit that he's not keeping his options open(Kevin Nolan, Clinton Morrision that means you) and hanging around to see if he'll get an English cap, not that he has much chance of that anyway. Let's face it, for people like Cascarino, Townsend and Aldridge declaring for Ireland was a simple career decision, a chance to play international football. (BTW, I'm not knocking any of the above, they were always fully committed when playing, Townsend especially, but I don't really think that's the point.) I do agree though with the previous poster who distinguished the likes of Kevin Kilbane, who actually turned down the chance to represent England as far as I'm aware, that is a different case I agree.

ifk101
19/01/2006, 9:02 PM
I'm glad Kitson said what he said. He's not interested so let's move on. As for Morrison - that chap has given 100% everytime he has pulled on the Irish jersey. I wish some of the chaps that are "100% Irish" would do that.

Qwerty
19/01/2006, 11:32 PM
I admire Kitson's position so much I think we should make him an honary Irishman and give him the keys to the city of Dublin. The football world is not filled with mercenaries after all.

dr_peepee
20/01/2006, 7:54 AM
Somebody rent him "Flight of the Doves"....

Pablo
20/01/2006, 9:03 AM
no no no no no no no.

if there is a choice involved, **** off. 30 seconds thought or bye bye.

agreed. its a shame people have almost a club mentality when it comes to Ireland. Fair play to Kitson.

I wonder does staunton realise Reading actually have 2 genuine non plastic Irishmen in the forward line of late? and they've both scored

Probably not.

Dodge
20/01/2006, 9:36 AM
agreed. its a shame people have almost a club mentality when it comes to Ireland
Only those who don't follow a club in Ireland BTW...

Tired&Emotional
20/01/2006, 10:04 AM
I wish some of the chaps that are "100% Irish" would do that.

Crossed my mind once or twice in the latter half of the WCQ campaign!!

Pablo
20/01/2006, 11:37 AM
Only those who don't follow a club in Ireland BTW...

indeed. ole ole ole, come on United etc

pete
20/01/2006, 11:52 AM
I admire Kitsons decision as he has clearly decided hes not irish so shouldn't play for us.

I've accepted Morrison is in the irish squad but he is not irish.

International football is not the career move it used to be in the Aldridge/Houghton days as a lot more games to play at club level now.

drinkfeckarse
20/01/2006, 12:39 PM
His comments are a refreshing change and fair play to him.

jbyrne
20/01/2006, 12:46 PM
I wonder does staunton realise Reading actually have 2 genuine non plastic Irishmen in the forward line of late? and they've both scored

Probably not.

as a reading match was his first port of call after getting the job i'd say he has a fair idea

Tired&Emotional
20/01/2006, 12:50 PM

Probably not.

Off course he does, he may not have mgt experience but he's not thick:eek:

Pablo
20/01/2006, 2:10 PM
as a reading match was his first port of call after getting the job i'd say he has a fair idea

and yet he concentrate his comments on some English fella?

i dread the next 4 years. whatever afinity i had as an Irishman to the national team is slowly draining away.

tetsujin1979
20/01/2006, 2:25 PM
and yet he concentrate his comments on some English fella?

i dread the next 4 years. whatever afinity i had as an Irishman to the national team is slowly draining away.
Is Staunton's defence he wasn't asked much about Irish players, but he was asked about the granny rule and who he's looking at bringing in. And he hardly "concentrated" his comments on one player

Peadar
20/01/2006, 2:38 PM
Reading are on Sky Sports v Palace tonight so we can all concentrate on whatever players we choose.

Morrison and Doyle on display would be nice.
They both scored in the game at the Mad Stad where Reading won 3-2.

Pablo
20/01/2006, 2:50 PM
Morrison and Doyle on display would be nice.
They both scored in the game at the Mad Stad where Reading won 3-2.

Ireland V England! who'll win! Come on Doyler!

Tired&Emotional
20/01/2006, 2:57 PM
Ireland V England! who'll win! Come on Doyler!

Now that's just being silly, c'mon Pablo:eek:

Schumi
20/01/2006, 2:59 PM
I thought Morrison was Jamaican.

Pablo
20/01/2006, 3:05 PM

depends on when you asked him. he was english first, then he couldnt remember if he was Jamaican or Irish. he's a confused lads. bless

NeilMcD
20/01/2006, 3:08 PM
Some people fail to realise that it is possible to have dual nationality.

Pablo
20/01/2006, 3:10 PM
Some people fail to realise that it is possible to have dual nationality.

But clint at one point or another has had one foot irish, one foot jamaican, one arm english and one are scottish!

Tired&Emotional
20/01/2006, 3:10 PM
he's a confused lads. bless

And he isn't the only one...

Stuttgart88
20/01/2006, 3:16 PM
You haven't been writing letters to Brian Kerr have you?

Schumi
20/01/2006, 3:20 PM
You haven't been writing letters to Brian Kerr have you?
Well done, there's clearly no distinction between not wanting mercenaries playing for my country and hating anyone with a different skin colour to me. :rolleyes:

Tired&Emotional
20/01/2006, 3:29 PM
...my country ....

Well it shouldn't come as a great shock but your not the sole owner of the country - there are others who get a say and while i acknowlege your opinion should a) the FIFA rule and b) the "majority rule" concept not take precedence?

I think if this went to a referendum, for example, the majority would accept the FIFA ruling....sure isn't that what brought us "success" with Charlton and consequently raise our expectations to do well on the world stage..

Schumi
20/01/2006, 3:38 PM
Well it shouldn't come as a great shock but your [sic] not the sole owner of the country - there are others who get a sayWhere did I say that my view is the only important one? I merely stated my view that I'd prefer if mercenaries like Morrison didn't play for Ireland.