PDA

View Full Version : Reading star rules out Irish switch(now says he would consider it)

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Closed Account 2
28/01/2006, 4:05 PM
Well, assuming they're the sort of player who doesnt want to play for Ireland, but instead would just prefer to play for any old international team - if they thought their international career might only last 2 mins in pretty much a b-team friendly the might be less inclined to pick us.

lopez
28/01/2006, 4:25 PM
I think the miniimum ammount of time is 46 minutes? Good idea though!

Qwerty
28/01/2006, 4:44 PM
I don't usually insult players but Kitson is a knob if he has done a 180. If he is called up we should swamp the FAI with protests.

Irish_Praha
30/01/2006, 12:10 AM
I've just seen that he's 6ft 3 and he can actually play it on the ground too. He would be a very handy addition to the squad. Top scorer in the championship and has only played about 2/3 of the games. If he was another little fella like Robbie or Connolly (or McSheffrey) I would question the point in including him but we have nobody of his build available at the moment, except Saddlier and it is unknown if he will complete his comeback. Kerr said he would only look at players through the grandparent rule if they improved on what we already had and in the end he only capped Macken, who in my opinion added nothing to the squad. At least Kitson has some thing new to offer and wouldn't be taking the "big man" role from anyother young Irish prospect.
However, I hope the fact that Staunton is seeking him out doesnt indicate that we are going to revert to long ball game we played under Charlton (and yes i know Kitson has more to his game than that).

tricky_colour
30/01/2006, 9:07 PM
If someone has duel nationality, I don't really see a big problem with them
choosing the team which will earn them the most money as their first
choice, if I was in the same position I would probably do the same myself.
Afterall they are not 100% any nationally but most people are 100%
commited to increasing their bank balance!!
Would you choose the lesser paid of two equal jobs?

pete
30/01/2006, 10:09 PM
What would people say if Kitson got into the senior squad at the expense of Doyle.

This is supposed to be a NATIONAL team that represents this country. Only people who see all their football on tv & play computer games coul;d welcome mercenaries playing in the irish team.

:(

Peadar
30/01/2006, 10:51 PM
I don't usually insult players but Kitson is a knob if he has done a 180.

Kitson has told Reading FC official website that he has not changed his mind. He said that he is being hounded by the same journalists who keep asking the same question, trying to create a story where there isn't one.

Too many tabloid readers on these forums lately. :rolleyes:

eirebhoy
30/01/2006, 11:14 PM
"Since the change of management there's been talk about this again.

"First time around I practically set in stone that I was not interested, as flattered as I was.

"It's a little frustrating that journalists can ask a question, then six months later they can ask again and think the answer will change. It's the same people asking me again, looking for a story that does not exist, I'm afraid.

"I'm flattered to be considered good enough to play for them, but I reiterate what I said first time around. To me, my family is not Irish. I've only ever had English family around me, my parents were born in north London, so was I, and as far as I'm concerned I'm English.

"But that in no way means I'm only holding out to play for England. I'm not naive enough to think I'm good enough, so it's really not for that purpose.

"This is purely because of my principles. I don't agree that you should be eligible because of your grandparents. Where do you draw the line? What about great-grandparents or great-great grandparents? For me it's just about parents or where you were born and brought up.

"This is just my own little stand against a rule. It might get headlines but it won't really make any difference and in two weeks it'll be forgotten. I just don't want to compromise my principles.

"I've only ever heard a few rumours about an Irish call up. I felt this way before I even considered Ireland though. I've always supported England.

"All this has come to my attention even more now that we've got Kevin Doyle, Shane Long and Stephen Hunt here. Let's say I play and therefore stand in the way of someone like them, who is 100% Irish and would give anything to play for their country. I would feel a hyprocrite and be denying them a chance they deserve."

"It's something I have had to think about, it's surreal to even think that us playing together for Ireland could happen but I stand by my beliefs.

"I won't be a player that denies any emerging Irish talent a chance to play in a World Cup or European Championships.

"This is definitely the right decision for me. Lots of people can't understand it but I'm not asking them to. I've not made this decision to affect people or gain respect.

"It's annoying that some people in the game look at this from a financial point of view. They say I could play and up my value and up my wages but that disappoints me so much, it really does.

"People with no morals have been telling me what to do, and to tell me to do it for financial gain is just so disappointing. I don't need to be told by anyone."

Dodge
30/01/2006, 11:33 PM
Right, thats him sorted. Now on to McSheffrey

Qwerty
31/01/2006, 12:27 AM
Kitson has told Reading FC official website that he has not changed his mind. He said that he is being hounded by the same journalists who keep asking the same question, trying to create a story where there isn't one.

You will have noted that I underlined the 'if', are you suggesting I read a tabloid? I admit to being a snob and appropriately bristled by such a suggestion sir :mad: .

Fergie's Son
31/01/2006, 4:51 AM
"Since the change of management there's been talk about this again.

"First time around I practically set in stone that I was not interested, as flattered as I was.

"It's a little frustrating that journalists can ask a question, then six months later they can ask again and think the answer will change. It's the same people asking me again, looking for a story that does not exist, I'm afraid.

"I'm flattered to be considered good enough to play for them, but I reiterate what I said first time around. To me, my family is not Irish. I've only ever had English family around me, my parents were born in north London, so was I, and as far as I'm concerned I'm English.

"But that in no way means I'm only holding out to play for England. I'm not naive enough to think I'm good enough, so it's really not for that purpose.

"This is purely because of my principles. I don't agree that you should be eligible because of your grandparents. Where do you draw the line? What about great-grandparents or great-great grandparents? For me it's just about parents or where you were born and brought up.

"This is just my own little stand against a rule. It might get headlines but it won't really make any difference and in two weeks it'll be forgotten. I just don't want to compromise my principles.

"I've only ever heard a few rumours about an Irish call up. I felt this way before I even considered Ireland though. I've always supported England.

"All this has come to my attention even more now that we've got Kevin Doyle, Shane Long and Stephen Hunt here. Let's say I play and therefore stand in the way of someone like them, who is 100% Irish and would give anything to play for their country. I would feel a hyprocrite and be denying them a chance they deserve."

"It's something I have had to think about, it's surreal to even think that us playing together for Ireland could happen but I stand by my beliefs.

"I won't be a player that denies any emerging Irish talent a chance to play in a World Cup or European Championships.

"This is definitely the right decision for me. Lots of people can't understand it but I'm not asking them to. I've not made this decision to affect people or gain respect.

"It's annoying that some people in the game look at this from a financial point of view. They say I could play and up my value and up my wages but that disappoints me so much, it really does.

"People with no morals have been telling me what to do, and to tell me to do it for financial gain is just so disappointing. I don't need to be told by anyone."

I'm liking Kitson more and more. Seems like a stand-up guy.

Den Perry
31/01/2006, 7:30 AM

Whereas I would have welcomed Kitson on board, he really seems like an honest and principled guy. Best of luck to him whatever he does

as_i_say
31/01/2006, 8:22 AM
indeed-theres no doubt stan would have called him up being a striker if he had showed any interest so fair play to him. He'll probably never get a game for England so it really says a lot about his character.

Peadar
31/01/2006, 8:55 AM
I admit to being a snob and appropriately bristled by such a suggestion sir :mad: .

I used your post as an example of what was being posted in general. It wasn't aimed at you.

You can take offence if you've nothing better to be doing. That's your own business. It's a bit sad really that you're too much of a snob to reasearch something before you comment though. :rolleyes:

tetsujin1979
31/01/2006, 9:28 AM
From today's Indo, hopefully this will be the end of it all
http://www.unison.ie/sportsdesk/stories.php3?ca=12&si=1552200

However, Reading striker Dave Kitson reiterated that under no circumstances will he be playing for Ireland in the future.

"I'm flattered to be considered good enough to play for them," he said. "But I reiterate what I said first time around. To me, my family is not Irish.

"I've only ever had English family around me, my parents were born in north London, so was I, and as far as I'm concerned I'm English."

drinkfeckarse
31/01/2006, 9:28 AM

...or could it be that there are too many snobs on the site with ideas above their station??

Peadar
31/01/2006, 9:45 AM
...or could it be that there are too many snobs on the site with ideas above their station??

Could be. Perhaps we need a poll. ;)

Are you a snob?
Are you a tabloid reader?
Are you just an honest decent person who reads a broadsheet?

drinkfeckarse
31/01/2006, 10:10 AM

Bah! Polls are for snobs....:D

Den Perry
31/01/2006, 10:34 AM

Are you a snob?
Are you a tabloid reader?
Are you just an honest decent person who reads a broadsheet?

well I don't see any page 3 on the broadsheets?????????

Peadar
31/01/2006, 10:39 AM
well I don't see any page 3 on the broadsheets?????????

I comes after page 2 and before page 4.
Unless someone is stealing it on you, there should definitely be a page 3 in the broadsheet.

Den Perry
31/01/2006, 10:43 AM
Sorry, I meant to say page 3 beauties.....Actually, was looking at Last Saturday's sun and delicious deirdre from doncaster looked irish

pete
31/01/2006, 12:39 PM

Too honest & principled for the irish team...

as_i_say
31/01/2006, 12:42 PM
Too honest & principled for the irish team...

Harsh surely! We still have Ian Harte-plenty o principles there...:cool:

Den Perry
31/01/2006, 1:28 PM
Harsh surely! We still have Ian Harte-plenty o principles there...:cool:

what you mean by that? I like Harte, even when he had a terrible world cup the joy on hs face when we scored was great to see....a lot of players might have sulked in his situatuion?

as_i_say
31/01/2006, 2:16 PM
well thats just what i mean-harte happens to be one of my fav players so just thought i'd mention him (again :). i think some people are getting a bit carried away with the whole mercenary thing at the moment cos of stans remarks about grannies.

I believe we have some great lads on our team compared to the ars ehole quantity of players on other international teams located not so far away....

Den Perry
31/01/2006, 2:40 PM
well thats just what i mean-harte happens to be one of my fav players so just thought i'd mention him (again :). i think some people are getting a bit carried away with the whole mercenary thing at the moment cos of stans remarks about grannies.

I believe we have some great lads on our team compared to the ars ehole quantity of players on other international teams located not so far away....

Sorry, I thought thats what you meant...just wanted to verify!

Qwerty
31/01/2006, 10:26 PM
I used your post as an example of what was being posted in general. It wasn't aimed at you.

You can take offence if you've nothing better to be doing. That's your own business. It's a bit sad really that you're too much of a snob to reasearch something before you comment though. :rolleyes:

Peader as we all know on this forum you are not a close reader, the fact is my insult was qualified and underlined. And may I ask is there anything more tabloid than an online football forum : :D