PDA

View Full Version : Leeds v Wigan

OwlsFan
18/01/2006, 9:09 AM
Saw the whole game between Leeds and Wigan last night. Kavanagh was absolute class. Barely a pass gone astray and he scored the winning peno as well as making one of the goals. I will never understand why Kerr chose an out of form O'Shea in midfield against the Swiss ahead of Kavanagh. He seemed to blame Kavanagh for the poor performance against Cyprus

Nice touch at the end - Kelly (who scored a cracker) and Kavanagh embracing and swapping jerseys. Miller did ok as well until he got cramp and had to be taken off.

What a pity Kavanagh wasted all those years playing at a lower level for Stoke when he clearly could have been playing at the top level.

eirebhoy
18/01/2006, 9:51 AM
Kavanagh was good enough for the top level since he was 19. I don't understand why he was wasted down in the lower divisions for so long. The fact that he cried because he didn't want to leave Cardiff probably puts it down to ambition and loyalty.

Tired&Emotional
18/01/2006, 10:00 AM
I will never understand why Kerr chose an out of form O'Shea in midfield against the Swiss ahead of Kavanagh.

Nice touch at the end - Kelly (who scored a cracker) and Kavanagh embracing and swapping jerseys. Miller did ok as well until he got cramp and had to be taken off.

Kerr probably just went with the Prem player v's Championship player (at the time) with the view that O'Shea would have more exp. and handle the game better....wrong! Would have had Kavo in centre-mid before O'Shea and said it at the time....

Yeah, was a nice touch as the two turned to go to the dressing rooms with "Kelly" on Kavo's back and vice versa...

And Miller getting cramp, could believe when I saw that! Has he not been playing much at all recently....why he should be brought into a senior intl. squad, I'll never know - I'm not taking this in isolation either - just don't think he's up to scratch...record of transfers speaks volumes..:eek:

Stuttgart88
18/01/2006, 10:07 AM
Whatever about Kerr's decision (in my opinion he's entitled to drop a guy if he feels the need to) the bigger decision was how Mick ignored him for so long. How many caps did Kinsella earn outside the Prem?

Kavanagh reminds me of Alonso. Great first touch, totally two footed, good dead-ball ability & great range of passing. Always looking for the ball even in tough situations. Tough as nails too but maybe short a little pace?

Den Perry
18/01/2006, 10:11 AM
Kavanagh was good enough for the top level since he was 19. I don't understand why he was wasted down in the lower divisions for so long. The fact that he cried because he didn't want to leave Cardiff probably puts it down to ambition and loyalty.

Yes Kavanagh is a player I rate highly. Had a very poor game in Cyprus but wasn't the only one.

Seems to be a fairly nice boke as well. met him on holiday once and he was sound .

lofty9
18/01/2006, 10:12 AM
I thought Miller played well last night and he was very unlucky not to score with the volley with the outside of his left boot. He got cramp due to the role he is playing at Leeds, in which he is making incessant box to box runs, trying to get beyond the forwards and tracking back. He has been taken off on a number of occaisions due to giving it his all and having no energy left. Give the lad a break. It's good to see him playing regualr football for the first time in his career and hopefully he can prove himself to become good enough to play for Ireland.

Peadar
18/01/2006, 10:21 AM
Kav did well and I've always respected his work rate but this was Leeds ffs.
Fair play to Wigan though.
Holding their own in the league, semi-final and 1-0 on Arsenal in the League Cup, 4th Round of the FA Cup. No fluke there.

razor
18/01/2006, 10:22 AM
Saw the whole game between Leeds and Wigan last night. Kavanagh was absolute class. Barely a pass gone astray and he scored the winning peno as well as making one of the goals. Totally agree, class and would deffo be my 1st choice for centre midfield.

Stuttgart88
18/01/2006, 10:27 AM
Kav & Steve Reid? Kav & Ireland? Kav and Andy Reid? Just wondering what people would think.

I'd be inclined to pick Kav & Steve Reid. We've more options from the bench now than before: A. Reid, Quinn, Miller, Ireland etc.

How was Miller last night? I swa one good surging run and good final ball. I hear he hit the post too.

eirebhoy
18/01/2006, 10:43 AM
With Cunningham and Keane retired I feel we need Kavanagh on the pitch. In fact, if the captaincy was to go to an outfield player I feel Kav would be the best option. He certainly wouldn't let the opposition bully us. :) When Cunningham went off against China he gave the armband to Roy, Roy then handed it to Kavanagh who went on to win MOTM. :) I'd like to see him and Steven Reid in the centre against Sweden.

Peadar
18/01/2006, 10:47 AM
In fact, if the captaincy was to go to an outfield player I feel Kav would be the best option.

Couldn't argue with that.
If it's not to be Shay Given then Kav would be a great captain.

Lionel Ritchie
18/01/2006, 11:10 AM
...anyone else see it? Half volley from about 25 yards late in extra time last night.

His 4th goal in around 500 appearances for Leeds United. I was joking that Ken Bates will be bringing up that stat in contract negotiations -but Gary should bring a DVD of the goal.;)

Thing of sweetness it was.:cool:

Dublin12
18/01/2006, 12:01 PM
Watched it alright Lionel,class goal,fair play to him only 7 games short of the 500 mark,a legend to the club if you ask me.Pity about the result though,thought Killa had a superb game at the back,ah well,roll on the play offs and a nice little visit to Wembley,at least we can still get there;)

Den Perry
18/01/2006, 12:25 PM
Watched it alright Lionel,class goal,fair play to him only 7 games short of the 500 mark,a legend to the club if you ask me.Pity about the result though,thought Killa had a superb game at the back,ah well,roll on the play offs and a nice little visit to Wembley,at least we can still get there;)

pity after such a fightback to lose on penos. Isn't butler brutal at the back though? they missed Derry in midfield....i presume he was suspended?

Also te small crowd was very disappointing....I just can't understand that for an FA Cup game

onenilgameover
18/01/2006, 12:25 PM
Liam miller had one that crashed off the underside of the bar aswell...which would probably have won it. Kav also got one or 2 assist's in too..........

Stuttgart88
18/01/2006, 12:27 PM
match discussion already well under way on the kavanagh thread lads..

as_i_say
18/01/2006, 12:32 PM
Whatever about Kerr's decision (in my opinion he's entitled to drop a guy if he feels the need to) the bigger decision was how Mick ignored him for so long. ?

in fairness to mick, kavanagh was playing with stoke a then 3rd tier english team.

onenilgameover
18/01/2006, 12:32 PM
With Cunningham and Keane retired I feel we need Kavanagh on the pitch. In fact, if the captaincy was to go to an outfield player I feel Kav would be the best option. He certainly wouldn't let the opposition bully us. :) When Cunningham went off against China he gave the armband to Roy, Roy then handed it to Kavanagh who went on to win MOTM. :) I'd like to see him and Steven Reid in the centre against Sweden.

I remember that...thought that was v. funny at the time....anymore on this Miller cramp stuff....he's been playing well by all accounts but cramp! jaysus!

Den Perry
18/01/2006, 12:33 PM
Couldn't argue with that.
If it's not to be Shay Given then Kav would be a great captain.

on the point of midfield, i reckon the middle of midfield will prob turn out to be andy rids best position. He is a very creative player and that is what we need there. Matty Holland will hopefully f*** off from the scene now

as_i_say
18/01/2006, 12:40 PM
link anyone?

it was a terrific goal-it was like he stroked it into the corner-if you were to be uber critical the goalie was asleep on the other post but still...

Lionel Ritchie
18/01/2006, 12:54 PM
match discussion already well under way on the kavanagh thread lads..

Threads not about Kav. It's about Kels.;)

Stuttgart88
18/01/2006, 12:58 PM
Both have resulted in a match discussion though and how the Irish played...

eirebhoy
18/01/2006, 1:42 PM
link anyone?

it was a terrific goal-it was like he stroked it into the corner-if you were to be uber critical the goalie was asleep on the other post but still...
http://www.yourfilehost.com/media.php?cat=other&file=Kelly_Screamer____.zip

Both have resulted in a match discussion though and how the Irish played...
threads merged as both are on the same subject.

as_i_say
19/01/2006, 8:39 AM
thanks for that-mate of mine in asia dying to see this rarity...

as_i_say
19/01/2006, 8:51 AM
hmm, ive unzipped that file and its only playing as an audio snippet on WMP-am I doing something wrong?

Rover 2 U
19/01/2006, 9:28 AM
WTF? Graham Kavanagh is at best a mediocre player. He has never lived up to his billing either at club level or (especially) at international level. He had on ok game against Leeds after Miller went off but that was about it. In fact, Miller best run of the game came about as a result of him winning a challenge against Kav in his own half!

Oh and by the way, the poor attendance was due to Bates not lower the ticket prices for the game as he had previously agreed to do. The fans were staying away as a mark of protest!

Stuttgart88
19/01/2006, 9:44 AM
WTF? Graham Kavanagh is at best a mediocre player. Great passer, strong, two footed, good set piece delivery, good crosser, very vocal but not overly quick is what I think of him.

But I'll leave my opinion out of it as I'm usually biased in favour of Irish players. The Times (UK) marks every player in every match out of 10 every Monday. Hardly any player in the PL ever gets marked as highly as Kavanagh on such a regular basis. Almost always 7 or 8 out of 10.

joeSoap
19/01/2006, 9:48 AM
Kavanagh reminds me of Alonso. Great first touch, totally two footed, good dead-ball ability & great range of passing. Always looking for the ball even in tough situations. Tough as nails too but maybe short a little pace? Nice one...:D :D

Stuttgart88
19/01/2006, 10:08 AM
Not saying he's as good as, just similar in style to.

Alonso is the best player to watch in the Premiership IMO, along with Henry anyway. Just for pure elegance.

I think it's very rare to see a guy who displays the attributes I mentioned. Proper footballing central midfielders are very scarce these days. The trend is to have Makelele types who are there to defend and little else, or box-to-box types like Gerard who are more action than finesse.

Agree / not agree?

eirebhoy
19/01/2006, 11:01 AM
here is a few posts from a thread on "Who is Wigan's best player" on the 12th December on Wigan's official forum:

"After his last 3-4 appearances I'd have to say Kavanagh is our best player, he has been brillaint lately"

"gota be kav by a mile hees bin played fantastic over the past few games, roberts as gone very lazy and doesnt do as much runnin, pascal seems to be getting rather annoyed with other players during game time if u notice but still lovin the guy"

"bullard n chimbonda work there *** off, kavs good and simple, roberts got good strengh but they all play for super wigan latics so there all quality"

"you cant pick 1 player.....there all good but the best for me....kav(he's played bril this season and been my man of the match for nearly every game!!) de zeeuw..."

This is in reply to a Cardiff fan asking about something and mentioned Kav:

"Kav is a legend and IMO or best midfielder"

OwlsFan
19/01/2006, 11:58 AM
WTF? Graham Kavanagh is at best a mediocre player. He has never lived up to his billing either at club level or (especially) at international level. He had on ok game against Leeds after Miller went off but that was about it.

I suspect this was through the eyes of a Leeds fan. Kavanagh was more than ok. His pass for the 3rd goal was class. He was dominating midfield before Miller went off but it is always interesting how people can see a game differently but you're wrong ;) :D

Rover 2 U
19/01/2006, 2:56 PM
I suspect this was through the eyes of a Leeds fan. Kavanagh was more than ok. His pass for the 3rd goal was class. He was dominating midfield before Miller went off but it is always interesting how people can see a game differently but you're wrong ;) :D

lets just say, on the night the best team lost;)

eirebhoy
19/01/2006, 11:48 PM
Someone on boards.ie was giving Kavanagh stick. I felt he made this judgement on the Cyprus game alone. He said he wasn't impressive against Leeds and wasted a few passes. That is the opposite to what I read on here so I downloaded the Leeds-Wigan game and here's my reply to him. Bare in mind that I couldn't even tell you how well Miller or Douglas played as all I was looking at was Kavanagh.

As promised, I watched the Leeds game and here's my verdict. Wherever the ball is he's always close by. If the opposition have it he's torchering them to get it back. If his teammates have it he's there to lend a hand. One minute he's in the oppositions box, 15 seconds later and he's in his own box defending. He really does put in some work rate . None of his passes were misplaced. Plenty of crosses or hopeful balls would have failed to find a player but no passes you'd be roaring at the telly if you had a large bet on Wigan.

It's only after looking at him tonight that I realised how different his roles were for club and country. I've seen him play for Wigan a few times this season but never really studied Kavanagh's game. He was literally an anchorman for Ireland. With Wigan he is up and down that pitch all day. At Cardiff/Stoke he was more an attacking midfielder than anything. I just don't feel partnering Kilbane does him any favours. If he was to partner Reid he'd be able to get forward and Reid has the ability to cover for him.

I was looking at the match trying to pick out a clip of Kavanagh in one end attacking and rushing back to defend. I couldn't find anything great. These pics sum him up though:

He sends a cross into the box from the right which gets headed out at the back post
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/5443/kav118po.jpg

5 seconds later and he's over tackling someone to win the ball back.
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/4190/kav227kk.jpg
and 3 seconds later he actually has the ball back because of that pressure.

He set up Wigan's 2nd and 3rd goal. I've uploaded the 2nd assists because 1) its a decent cross and 2) He's not even the captain but look at him ordering everyone about. I'm not sure who the first person he's talking to is but he's listening to him anyway. :) I don't know why he isn't Wigan captain but he should be. When he's on form like Tuesday he completely sticks out in the Wigan team. Imo he's the main reason they're 6th in the premiership.

http://media.putfile.com/kav-cross

He's a decent passer, tackler, a work horse and a leader. Exactly what we need with Cunningham and Keane retired.

kingp35
22/01/2006, 12:02 PM
I remember that...thought that was v. funny at the time....anymore on this Miller cramp stuff....he's been playing well by all accounts but cramp! jaysus!

Miller did not have cramp, he had a slight hamstring injury and had to go of. He was doubtful for the Sheffield Wednesday game but managed to make it.

“Eddie had a knock and Liam suffered a slight hamstring injury," confirmed boss Kevin Blackwell

OwlsFan
22/01/2006, 5:28 PM
Someone on boards.ie was giving Kavanagh stick. I felt he made this judgement on the Cyprus game alone. He said he wasn't impressive against Leeds and wasted a few passes. That is the opposite to what I read on here so I downloaded the Leeds-Wigan game and here's my reply to him. Bare in mind that I couldn't even tell you how well Miller or Douglas played as all I was looking at was Kavanagh.

As promised, I watched the Leeds game and here's my verdict. Wherever the ball is he's always close by. If the opposition have it he's torchering them to get it back. If his teammates have it he's there to lend a hand. One minute he's in the oppositions box, 15 seconds later and he's in his own box defending. He really does put in some work rate . None of his passes were misplaced. Plenty of crosses or hopeful balls would have failed to find a player but no passes you'd be roaring at the telly if you had a large bet on Wigan.

It's only after looking at him tonight that I realised how different his roles were for club and country. I've seen him play for Wigan a few times this season but never really studied Kavanagh's game. He was literally an anchorman for Ireland. With Wigan he is up and down that pitch all day. At Cardiff/Stoke he was more an attacking midfielder than anything. I just don't feel partnering Kilbane does him any favours. If he was to partner Reid he'd be able to get forward and Reid has the ability to cover for him.

I was looking at the match trying to pick out a clip of Kavanagh in one end attacking and rushing back to defend. I couldn't find anything great. These pics sum him up though:

He sends a cross into the box from the right which gets headed out at the back post
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/5443/kav118po.jpg

5 seconds later and he's over tackling someone to win the ball back.
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/4190/kav227kk.jpg
and 3 seconds later he actually has the ball back because of that pressure.

He set up Wigan's 2nd and 3rd goal. I've uploaded the 2nd assists because 1) its a decent cross and 2) He's not even the captain but look at him ordering everyone about. I'm not sure who the first person he's talking to is but he's listening to him anyway. :) I don't know why he isn't Wigan captain but he should be. When he's on form like Tuesday he completely sticks out in the Wigan team. Imo he's the main reason they're 6th in the premiership.

http://media.putfile.com/kav-cross

He's a decent passer, tackler, a work horse and a leader. Exactly what we need with Cunningham and Keane retired.

So briefly :D put you agree with me that he had a very good game.

eirebhoy
22/01/2006, 5:51 PM
So briefly :D put you agree with me that he had a very good game.
hehe. :) I just don't like the fact that so many people on boards.ie don't rate Kavanagh. Someone even said "what does club form matter?". This is all because one match against Cyprus. I don't like to see a player written off like that because I'm 99% sure Kav is the best option for the holding role atm. :)

kingp35
22/01/2006, 5:58 PM
hehe. :) I just don't like the fact that so many people on boards.ie don't rate Kavanagh. Someone even said "what does club form matter?". This is all because one match against Cyprus. I don't like to see a player written off like that because I'm 99% sure Kav is the best option for the holding role atm. :)

Maybe he is but he is the best of a bad bunch tbh. He is an average to below average Premiership midfield player, certainly a beow average international player. He has his good attirbutes in that he is commited and can hit a good dead ball but the fact that Kavanagh is ur best option to play there just depresses me. He did ok against Leeds but im a Leeds fan and its well known that our central midfield without Shaun erry in it is very average to say the least. It wouldnt take a special performance to come out on top.

He does get some abuse off some of the lads on Boards.ie that maybe I dont agree with bt is certainly no great player and I wouldnt be talking him up. Yes he is the best we got but thats a bad thing!

eirebhoy
22/01/2006, 6:53 PM
Maybe he is but he is the best of a bad bunch tbh. He is an average to below average Premiership midfield player, certainly a beow average international player. He has his good attirbutes in that he is commited and can hit a good dead ball but the fact that Kavanagh is ur best option to play there just depresses me. He did ok against Leeds but im a Leeds fan and its well known that our central midfield without Shaun erry in it is very average to say the least. It wouldnt take a special performance to come out on top.

He does get some abuse off some of the lads on Boards.ie that maybe I dont agree with bt is certainly no great player and I wouldnt be talking him up. Yes he is the best we got but thats a bad thing!
Its not just against Leeds, its almost every match.

"Kav had a superb game for Wigan at Boro, really bossed the center of the park against his old team."
http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=19834&page=35

"Kavanagh: The star in the midfield. Broke down incoming attacks, and contributed greatly to overall play."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mb606/F2241580?thread=2039297

He's been playing like that since about October/November. I posted a quote from a fan on Wigan's forum and he said he was MOTM in almost every match this season. OK, he's probably exaggerating but you can see how well he's playing.

Most Wigan fans will tell you he's their best midfielder and a lot will say he's their best player. There's a thread on 606 forums titled Kav is God (I swear, it wasn't me :)).

Hulsey
23/01/2006, 11:26 AM
pity after such a fightback to lose on penos. Isn't butler brutal at the back though? they missed Derry in midfield....i presume he was suspended?

Defo missed Derry. He's Leeds' best player IMO. Holds the midfield togrther. Shouldn't have played with Miller, Douglas and Walton in centre mid. Gregan should have been in their to play the holding role. Would have got a lot tighter to Kavanagh and francis than the others did. Unlucky to lose in the end. Hit the bar twice too. Lewis and Miller. Looking good for promotion. And we won a sheffield derby on Saturday!!!!

OwlsFan
23/01/2006, 11:43 AM
. And we won a sheffield derby on Saturday!!!!

Leeds changed their name to Sheffield United :eek: ?

Kavanagh is not a mediocre midfielder. He is as good as most in the Premiership. The trouble is he seemed happy playing at a lower level for many years when he consistently got the man of the match. I wonder now that he is playing well in the Premiership does he regret all those years not playing at the highest level.

I also thought Holland did well against Chelsea and covered a lot of ground.

livehead1
23/01/2006, 11:53 AM
he probably doesn't give a flying ****. One accusation that can be labeled to him fairly successfully is that he lacks ambition. I don't think i need to go into details about the evidence for this, its quite well known by anyone who has followed the lower divisions or kavanagh's progress, or lack of it! very good player though

Hulsey
24/01/2006, 12:44 PM
Leeds changed their name to Sheffield United :eek: ?

Kavanagh is not a mediocre midfielder. He is as good as most in the Premiership. The trouble is he seemed happy playing at a lower level for many years when he consistently got the man of the match. I wonder now that he is playing well in the Premiership does he regret all those years not playing at the highest level.

I also thought Holland did well against Chelsea and covered a lot of ground.
:eek: Only noticed my mistake now!!!!!!! Yorkshire derby! Phew that was close! Recognise my mistake, but theres no need to start throwing around that kind of slander now is there OwlsFan?:(

livehead1
24/01/2006, 8:40 PM
just watchin the wigan arsenal game on the net and kavanagh has given a performance that embodies that of a box to box midfielder with ability. hes playing against some of the best midfielders in the country, the likes of gilberton and has looked better than them and has made some very important challenges including one on bergkamp when he was almost certain to score, i just hope that he is allowed to perform this role for ireland, it would increase are creativity no end, his linking from defence to attack is superb, i havent seen him misplace a single pass all night

Closed Account 2
24/01/2006, 9:26 PM
Very good game for him tonight, played very well for all of normal time, and most of extra time. And then just as the game was ending, chipped a superb ball on the half volley with the outside of his foot, it went right into the mixer, bouncing and then looping up between both Arsenal center backs before breaking free for Roberts to score the winner. The Wigan keeper got man of the match, but Kav bossed the game.

Stuttgart88
25/01/2006, 7:23 AM
I missed all the first half but saw the rest. I thought Kav did pretty well throughout but was lucky not to get punished for giving the ball away immediately before Wigan's winner. He was dispossessed easily and Pollitt had to make a good save from Bergkamp. To credit him with an assist for Roberts is a bit charitable too - it was a bit hit & hope but it caused Campbell & Senderos all kinds of bother. Jack Charlton would have called it exquisite though!