Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leeds v Wigan

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts

Leeds v Wigan

Saw the whole game between Leeds and Wigan last night. Kavanagh was absolute class. Barely a pass gone astray and he scored the winning peno as well as making one of the goals. I will never understand why Kerr chose an out of form O'Shea in midfield against the Swiss ahead of Kavanagh. He seemed to blame Kavanagh for the poor performance against Cyprus

Nice touch at the end - Kelly (who scored a cracker) and Kavanagh embracing and swapping jerseys. Miller did ok as well until he got cramp and had to be taken off.

What a pity Kavanagh wasted all those years playing at a lower level for Stoke when he clearly could have been playing at the top level.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Kavanagh was good enough for the top level since he was 19. I don't understand why he was wasted down in the lower divisions for so long. The fact that he cried because he didn't want to leave Cardiff probably puts it down to ambition and loyalty.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan
    I will never understand why Kerr chose an out of form O'Shea in midfield against the Swiss ahead of Kavanagh.

Nice touch at the end - Kelly (who scored a cracker) and Kavanagh embracing and swapping jerseys. Miller did ok as well until he got cramp and had to be taken off.
    Kerr probably just went with the Prem player v's Championship player (at the time) with the view that O'Shea would have more exp. and handle the game better....wrong! Would have had Kavo in centre-mid before O'Shea and said it at the time....

Yeah, was a nice touch as the two turned to go to the dressing rooms with "Kelly" on Kavo's back and vice versa...

And Miller getting cramp, could believe when I saw that! Has he not been playing much at all recently....why he should be brought into a senior intl. squad, I'll never know - I'm not taking this in isolation either - just don't think he's up to scratch...record of transfers speaks volumes..
    "Inflatable hammers and Leprechaun suits, & a chorus of "Here we go" or Olé, Olé"....

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    Whatever about Kerr's decision (in my opinion he's entitled to drop a guy if he feels the need to) the bigger decision was how Mick ignored him for so long. How many caps did Kinsella earn outside the Prem?

Kavanagh reminds me of Alonso. Great first touch, totally two footed, good dead-ball ability & great range of passing. Always looking for the ball even in tough situations. Tough as nails too but maybe short a little pace?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy
    Kavanagh was good enough for the top level since he was 19. I don't understand why he was wasted down in the lower divisions for so long. The fact that he cried because he didn't want to leave Cardiff probably puts it down to ambition and loyalty.
    Yes Kavanagh is a player I rate highly. Had a very poor game in Cyprus but wasn't the only one.

Seems to be a fairly nice boke as well. met him on holiday once and he was sound .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    I thought Miller played well last night and he was very unlucky not to score with the volley with the outside of his left boot. He got cramp due to the role he is playing at Leeds, in which he is making incessant box to box runs, trying to get beyond the forwards and tracking back. He has been taken off on a number of occaisions due to giving it his all and having no energy left. Give the lad a break. It's good to see him playing regualr football for the first time in his career and hopefully he can prove himself to become good enough to play for Ireland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Kav did well and I've always respected his work rate but this was Leeds ffs.
    Fair play to Wigan though.
    Holding their own in the league, semi-final and 1-0 on Arsenal in the League Cup, 4th Round of the FA Cup. No fluke there.
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan
    Saw the whole game between Leeds and Wigan last night. Kavanagh was absolute class. Barely a pass gone astray and he scored the winning peno as well as making one of the goals.
    Totally agree, class and would deffo be my 1st choice for centre midfield.
    "Must you tell me all your secrets when it's hard enough to love you knowing nothing."

http://worddok.blogspot.com

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    Kav & Steve Reid? Kav & Ireland? Kav and Andy Reid? Just wondering what people would think.

I'd be inclined to pick Kav & Steve Reid. We've more options from the bench now than before: A. Reid, Quinn, Miller, Ireland etc.

How was Miller last night? I swa one good surging run and good final ball. I hear he hit the post too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    With Cunningham and Keane retired I feel we need Kavanagh on the pitch. In fact, if the captaincy was to go to an outfield player I feel Kav would be the best option. He certainly wouldn't let the opposition bully us. When Cunningham went off against China he gave the armband to Roy, Roy then handed it to Kavanagh who went on to win MOTM. I'd like to see him and Steven Reid in the centre against Sweden.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    In fact, if the captaincy was to go to an outfield player I feel Kav would be the best option.
    Couldn't argue with that.
    If it's not to be Shay Given then Kav would be a great captain.
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts

Gary Kelly's "Yeboah" goal against Wigan

...anyone else see it? Half volley from about 25 yards late in extra time last night.

His 4th goal in around 500 appearances for Leeds United. I was joking that Ken Bates will be bringing up that stat in contract negotiations -but Gary should bring a DVD of the goal.

Thing of sweetness it was.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Watched it alright Lionel,class goal,fair play to him only 7 games short of the 500 mark,a legend to the club if you ask me.Pity about the result though,thought Killa had a superb game at the back,ah well,roll on the play offs and a nice little visit to Wembley,at least we can still get there
    MOT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dublin12
    Watched it alright Lionel,class goal,fair play to him only 7 games short of the 500 mark,a legend to the club if you ask me.Pity about the result though,thought Killa had a superb game at the back,ah well,roll on the play offs and a nice little visit to Wembley,at least we can still get there
    pity after such a fightback to lose on penos. Isn't butler brutal at the back though? they missed Derry in midfield....i presume he was suspended?

Also te small crowd was very disappointing....I just can't understand that for an FA Cup game

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liam miller had one that crashed off the underside of the bar aswell...which would probably have won it. Kav also got one or 2 assist's in too..........

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    match discussion already well under way on the kavanagh thread lads..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88
    Whatever about Kerr's decision (in my opinion he's entitled to drop a guy if he feels the need to) the bigger decision was how Mick ignored him for so long. ?
    in fairness to mick, kavanagh was playing with stoke a then 3rd tier english team.
    I

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    With Cunningham and Keane retired I feel we need Kavanagh on the pitch. In fact, if the captaincy was to go to an outfield player I feel Kav would be the best option. He certainly wouldn't let the opposition bully us. When Cunningham went off against China he gave the armband to Roy, Roy then handed it to Kavanagh who went on to win MOTM. I'd like to see him and Steven Reid in the centre against Sweden.

I remember that...thought that was v. funny at the time....anymore on this Miller cramp stuff....he's been playing well by all accounts but cramp! jaysus!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peadar
    Couldn't argue with that.
    If it's not to be Shay Given then Kav would be a great captain.
    on the point of midfield, i reckon the middle of midfield will prob turn out to be andy rids best position. He is a very creative player and that is what we need there. Matty Holland will hopefully f*** off from the scene now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    link anyone?

it was a terrific goal-it was like he stroked it into the corner-if you were to be uber critical the goalie was asleep on the other post but still...
    I

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast