PDA

View Full Version : Staunton Eircom League Scouts

dcfcsteve
16/01/2006, 5:25 PM
Watched Stan's press conference live this morning.

Ignoring the wholly unimpressive way in which he delivered - sorry, read-out - his speech, it was good to see that in response to a question re the Eircom League he said that he will have scouts at games keeping an eye out for him. Also said that he would go to some games himself.

Will be interesting to see if he does indeed follow-up on this.

If only Weso hadn't gone to Loserton he might have been in with a shout of a friendly place at some point.... :eek:

pete
16/01/2006, 5:32 PM
...he said that he will have scouts at games keeping an eye out for him. Also said that he would go to some games himself.

Noty seen the press conference myself but sounds like token answer. Maybe he'll have token eL player in first squad to get some eL support?

If only Weso hadn't gone to Loserton he might have been in with a shout of a friendly place at some point.... :eek:

Instead hes lost to Alloa & Inverness in the space of 4 days. :eek:
Seen a few minutes of SPL highlights & he was visable with a few nice passes. He didn't even look small so SPL player must be small. I wouldn't think Livingston have any hope of SPL top 6 in near future which is really where he would need to be to gain attention.

superfrank
16/01/2006, 5:42 PM
Noty seen the press conference myself but sounds like token answer. Maybe he'll have token eL player in first squad to get some eL support?
Why do you have to be so cynical??

After Kevin Doyle and Wes Hoolahan going over to the UK there's plenty proof that the players in our league are good enough.

Dyl10
16/01/2006, 10:48 PM
After Kevin Doyle and Wes Hoolahan going over to the UK there's plenty proof that the players in our league are good enough.

Really? i suppose both of them have proved themselves on the international scene :rolleyes:

Soper
16/01/2006, 11:34 PM
Really? i suppose both of them have proved themselves on the international scene :rolleyes:
Well, players like John O'Shea haven't even proved themselves for the national team:rolleyes:

Dodge
16/01/2006, 11:38 PM
Watched Stan's press conference live this morning.

Ignoring the wholly unimpressive way in which he delivered - sorry, read-out - his speech, it was good to see that in response to a question re the Eircom League he said that he will have scouts at games keeping an eye out for him. Also said that he would go to some games himself.

McCarthy said the same thing. Seen him at one Pats game (a ta time when we were good...) and that was a free weekend in England

Hoolahan's not good enough for internatonal football

sfc red
17/01/2006, 12:24 AM
And some of the other donkeys in there are? Thats rubbish

dancinpants
17/01/2006, 4:40 AM
Well, players like John O'Shea haven't even proved themselves for the national team:rolleyes:

Ah Soper!!! Ye scared him off too quickly!!.

There's plenty of muck in the current Irish team that could be replaced with eL talent. But no - all the Irish fans of English teams can't what's beyond Sky Sports. Mind you they all thought Doyle wasn't good enough a few months ago, now they're all bangin' on about him like they knew of him all along - all over him like a cheap suit FFS...:rolleyes:

Dodge
17/01/2006, 9:26 AM
And some of the other donkeys in there are? Thats rubbish
Which midfield/winger is Hoolahan better than?

pete
17/01/2006, 9:58 AM
I am cynical because of the way Staunton said "i might even watch some eL myself". Token gesture.

gustavo
17/01/2006, 10:04 AM
so the only proof our league can give that its players are good enough is if they go to the UK?

Poor Student
17/01/2006, 10:11 AM
so the only proof our league can give that its players are good enough is if they go to the UK?

That's about the size of it. It's very hard to judge if a player can cut the mustard at international level unless they move to a higher standard league (generally in the UK i.e. EPL, Championship and SPL). You have few chances to ever try and test a player at international level and very little margin for error so you have to go for the safe choice of seeing players tested at a higher level than the eL.

tiktok
17/01/2006, 10:11 AM
Danny Murphy and Sean Dillon are both better at left back than either O'Shea or Maybury IMO.
Owen Heary has been overtaken in the pecking order for the right fullback slot
Roy O'Donovan would provide good cover for the right wing position where we also have a lack of pace/ability.

I doubt if any will get a shot, I agree with Pete, Staunton's 'sure I might even though and look myself' is right up there with Steve Coppell claiming he can't remember seeing Kevin Doyle 'because I'd had a few Guinnesses'

Token Gesture.

Mr A
17/01/2006, 4:09 PM
The bit that said more than his comments directly on the eL was that he said he would be using the Granny rule where ever possible to get new players I think. That's obviously more where he sees new players coming from than the eL. Can't blame him for using the rule if he can get a few premiership players signed up to the cause, dodgy and all as it feels.

SÓC
17/01/2006, 5:05 PM
Danny Murphy and Sean Dillon are both better at left back than either O'Shea or Maybury IMO.
Owen Heary has been overtaken in the pecking order for the right fullback slot
Roy O'Donovan would provide good cover for the right wing position where we also have a lack of pace/ability.

Paisley too, anytime he's played for the U-21 he's been the best player on the pitch

A face
17/01/2006, 6:01 PM
I am cynical because of the way Staunton said "i might even watch some eL myself". Token gesture.

I have to agree .... Its tokenism, at its worst.

Mayo Red
17/01/2006, 9:53 PM
There's plenty of muck in the current Irish team that could be replaced with eL talent.

Gary Doherty anyone?:eek:

Rory H
18/01/2006, 11:00 AM
id have to be pretty drunk^

his 1st squad will be picked around feb 20th,2 weeks before the season starts and we wont pick anyone in pre-season probably...so its at a bit of a disadvantage already...however...these 2 friendlies are not about results and i feel john o flynn jason byrne roy o donovan and eh john o hara should be picked:)

dcfcsteve
18/01/2006, 11:14 AM
id have to be pretty drunk^

his 1st squad will be picked around feb 20th,2 weeks before the season starts and we wont pick anyone in pre-season probably...so its at a bit of a disadvantage already...however...these 2 friendlies are not about results and i feel john o flynn jason byrne roy o donovan and eh john o hara should be picked:)

Friendlies usually shouldn't be about results - but for a new manager (especially one who's under a question mark before he's even begun) you can be damn sure Stan will be looking for results. He'd be daft not to be, with all the doubt around.

Speranza
18/01/2006, 11:25 AM
John O'Flynn :eek: Jason Byrne yes but not that crock O'Flynn. As much as I love the eL some posters are way off the mark in thinking more than 1 or 2 players are of international quality.

wws
18/01/2006, 11:53 AM
People miss the point - its not about capping players for the sake of it. There are NO players here playing in a consistent professional environment - none fullfill these criteria

a) are fully professional
b) train with full professionals
c) coached by full professionals
d) play exclusively against other full professionals

the point is that there is raw talent there - there is potentially great/international players - and some like ex saint pats players like Doyle will go on and show that clearly in time.

the goal should be that the national coach is fully aware of the talent and potential talent emerging - it mainly takes a move to a full time environment described above (mainly england in our case) but if the talent is formed here (as it is) than its a national bosses job to know and monitor it.

Capping el players is a red herring and is irrelevant.

Rory H
18/01/2006, 2:49 PM
o flynn had a goose end to season last year,why not give him the chance to prove it....we have 2 games,they squads should differ a lot,everyone whos name is being mentioned should get a chance to prove why it is being eh mentioned if that makes sense which i know it doesnt.....cheese

Speranza
18/01/2006, 2:51 PM
Farren finished second top scorer behind Byrne....why not him? Because he doesn't need a friendly to show what everyone knows, he isn't good enough to be playing international football (at this stage anyway)

Rory H
18/01/2006, 2:55 PM
someone has to mention it

would "ireland b" be a goose idea?

higgins
18/01/2006, 3:39 PM
No Ireland B would not be a good idea.

I think Jason Byrne deserves a chance when you look at what he has done over the past few seasons. I dont know if he would be good enough or not but then neither Mick Kerr or Stan could know for sure either. He does deserve 90mins.

Only other Shels player I would say has a chance is Heary, should have been n many squads over the past few seasons especially when Kerr and Mick had bad injury problems at full back on more then one occasion.

Weso I dont think is good enough for Ireland just yet.

Jerry The Saint
18/01/2006, 3:51 PM
his 1st squad will be picked around feb 20th,2 weeks before the season starts and we wont pick anyone in pre-season probably...so its at a bit of a disadvantage already

This is a good point and indicates that summer soccer can be a hindrance to eircom League players getting selected for Ireland.

pete
18/01/2006, 4:20 PM
John O'Flynn is not good enough on current form. Never fully recovered from injury 2 years ago.

Farren needs to prove himself in 2006 especially in Europe.

I remain unconvinced about Bryne as he doesn't score often enough in big games for me but is most consistent goal score in the league & as good as ny of the forwards such as Macken, Lee etc... down the list.

Danny Murphy is also good enough for left back as he is as good as Harte or Maybury.

Joe Gamble might be worth a go in midfield but a lot of competition in that position.

Red4Eva
18/01/2006, 6:32 PM
No way would i have o'flynn near the team. haven't seen enough of roy o'donovan but maybe he would deserve a chance

superfrank
18/01/2006, 7:26 PM
I'm not implying that. I mean players who can do well over here and go to another country and do better then current Irish internationals, i.e. Doyler at Reading has done much better then Lee (remember him?).

dcfcsteve
18/01/2006, 7:32 PM
This is a good point and indicates that summer soccer can be a hindrance to eircom League players getting selected for Ireland.

Though to be fair - pursuing the lofty ambition of EL players making meaningful appearances in the Irish international squad is way down our league's order of need/priorities.

Roverstillidie
20/01/2006, 9:58 AM
People miss the point - its not about capping players for the sake of it. There are NO players here playing in a consistent professional environment - none fullfill these criteria

a) are fully professional
b) train with full professionals
c) coached by full professionals
d) play exclusively against other full professionals

the point is that there is raw talent there - there is potentially great/international players - and some like ex saint pats players like Doyle will go on and show that clearly in time.

the goal should be that the national coach is fully aware of the talent and potential talent emerging - it mainly takes a move to a full time environment described above (mainly england in our case) but if the talent is formed here (as it is) than its a national bosses job to know and monitor it.

Capping el players is a red herring and is irrelevant.

so EL players play for a hug at the end of the week?

what tripe. the EL has moved greatly forward in terms of professionalism, and there are very few part time players in the premier division at the moment. european results back this up.

we arent talking about capping EL players as a token, thats the point. the doyle transfer, and the subsequent intense scouting by english clubs of the EL proves that there are some gems of players here that are comparativley cheap by englands standards. why was doyle not good enough for kerr at cork, but immediatly good enough at reading? and he isnt the first to get an instant call up after a move overseas.

that has to be the most patronising post i have read in a while.

ColinR
20/01/2006, 10:06 AM
why was doyle not good enough for kerr at cork, but immediatly good enough at reading? and he isnt the first to get an instant call up after a move overseas.

people here are quick to forget, doyle only got the call up (at the time) because of injuries and suspensions to forward that were regurlarly in the squad - he got nowhere near actually coming on to the pitch in the two games in the squad.

he could easily have been called up anyway, as he was next in line (based on u-21s).

he will be in the squad now as he has proved he is capable of playing well regurlarly against a higher quality opposition - something no eL can ever do, due to the relative standard of our league. no amount of delusion on this site will change that.

and anyway wws's post was not patronising - it was spot on

bigmac
20/01/2006, 10:35 AM
what tripe. the EL has moved greatly forward in terms of professionalism, and there are very few part time players in the premier division at the moment. european results back this up.

Don't know what league you're watching but outside Cork, Shels and Drogs, most other teams have mainly part time players. Even someone like Clive Delaney, a central player in the team that came 2nd in the league, won't be playing with them next year because he can't get a job in Derry. It's one for the 400 club as well, how many of the Rovers players last season were full time?
I would have thought myself that part time was the norm, with fulltime players being the exception. Anyone else know what the split is like in their team?

Roverstillidie
20/01/2006, 12:59 PM
Don't know what league you're watching but outside Cork, Shels and Drogs, most other teams have mainly part time players. Even someone like Clive Delaney, a central player in the team that came 2nd in the league, won't be playing with them next year because he can't get a job in Derry. It's one for the 400 club as well, how many of the Rovers players last season were full time?
I would have thought myself that part time was the norm, with fulltime players being the exception. Anyone else know what the split is like in their team?
cork, derry, boyezzzz, shels, drogs and rovers were all full time.
only keith doyle was part time at rovers at the start of the season, i think sherro and beach were after the sell off.
delaney was an unusual situation, and is now gone.
sligo are going to be full time this season.
i would have thought the majority of all prem players will be full time.

Shelsman
20/01/2006, 1:01 PM
he will be in the squad now as he has proved he is capable of playing well regurlarly against a higher quality opposition - something no eL can ever do, due to the relative standard of our league. no amount of delusion on this site will change that.

Maybe an all Ireland league might put paid to that.............

Shelsman
20/01/2006, 1:02 PM

Good point but I would sooner eL teams got good results in Europe every year than a player get the odd cap here or there in a friendly.......

bigmac
20/01/2006, 3:55 PM
cork, derry, boyezzzz, shels, drogs and rovers were all full time.
only keith doyle was part time at rovers at the start of the season, i think sherro and beach were after the sell off.
delaney was an unusual situation, and is now gone.
sligo are going to be full time this season.
i would have thought the majority of all prem players will be full time.

Well there were few (if any) full timers in Waterford last season, and there'll be less this season. How could Rovers justify paying full-time wages all season, or did the wages drop after the takeover? from the teams you've mentioned there, I'd say it'd be around 50 50 this season, maybe a few more full timers than not.

NY Hoop
20/01/2006, 4:04 PM
How could Rovers justify paying full-time wages all season, or did the wages drop after the takeover? from the teams you've mentioned there, I'd say it'd be around 50 50 this season, maybe a few more full timers than not.

We couldnt! 30k a week for a full time squad sanctioned by that incompetent maguire. Wages dropped significantly when we took over.

KOH

Dazzy
20/01/2006, 9:07 PM
Even someone like Clive Delaney, a central player in the team that came 2nd in the league, won't be playing with them next year because he can't get a job in Derry.

Last i heard he was moving to Derry this month after he signed a contract last month!