PDA

View Full Version : Dublin City aims for Europe

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Da Real Rover
05/01/2006, 9:42 AM
kettle, pot & black;) Take out Dublin & replace with Rovers
Shams have a heartland around Tallaght, thats their fanbase, thats where their building their stadium. Where is your San Siro being built, where is your fanbase, where is your heartland.

Breifne
05/01/2006, 10:56 AM
What area - Greater Dublin ?? :eek: If his sole motivation is to have a club in the area in which he was brought up (wherever that was) then why does the team move stadium/area on a regular basis ? And why did he not name the club after his beloved area ?

I think it would be naive to believe that teary-eyed Seery's sole motivation, sniffle, is to have a team in the area he loves so well (wipes tear from eye)....

its one of the motivations behind it, not saying its the only one.
He started out playing in Whitehall, he moved to Morton Stadium when Whitehall was being redeveloped into the best playing surface in the league.
Then when promotion beckoned we were forced into moving to Tolka to comply with Licensing recommendations, when we attempted to get back into Whitehall at the start of last season, we were blocked by the fact that both Belgrove and Home Farm were playing their LSL league games there.

When the season finished for both sides Dublin City managed to get back into whitehall, and are now attempting to negotiate a long term deal. So we have moved out of necessity rather than out of desire unfortunately.

tiktok
05/01/2006, 12:11 PM
It's only natural that any newly promoted club should set their sights on staying up and consolidating their position in the division before they think about moving into European places. I'd imagine that privately, this is the plan.

No harm in having goals though, it's nice to see a bit of ambition (though I can't bring myself to like Seer, and I think his presence makes me dislike DCFC more than I should).

NY Hoop
05/01/2006, 2:49 PM
you'd know;)

And with garbage like him you'll know in 9 months time

KOH

Raheny Red
05/01/2006, 3:14 PM
Originally posted by NY Hoop
And with garbage like him you'll know in 9 months time

He's pregnant:eek: :eek: :eek:

Derek
05/01/2006, 4:16 PM
He's pregnant:eek:

Classic response

But I have to agree some of our signings are a bit dubious, but then we have Dermot Keely and his judgement is sound so we should be OK.

Although we will need a few more big names for the european campaign;)

Ringo
05/01/2006, 4:16 PM
Shams have a heartland around Tallaght, thats their fanbase, thats where their building their stadium. Where is your San Siro being built, where is your fanbase, where is your heartland.

i was talking about Sligo:rolleyes:

dcfcsteve
05/01/2006, 4:23 PM
But I have to agree some of our signings are a bit dubious, but then we have Dermot Keely and his judgement is sound so we should be OK.

*Rubs eyes to ensure he read that right.... *

Holy feck - you think Dermot Keely has sound judgement - particularly in the transfer market !?!?

I don't think anyone on Foyleside will agree with you there. He nearly destroyed our club with his absurd transfer and geneal management shenanigans. The fact that Stephen Kenny has taken us to where we are now with roughly the same resources as Keely shows just how rubbish a Manager he was for us.

Derek
05/01/2006, 4:29 PM
Holy feck - you think Dermot Keely has sound judgement - particularly in the transfer market !?!?

Bad for Derry, agreed, but he took a basically new team to the premier. So for me his judgement is sound.

NY Hoop
05/01/2006, 4:35 PM
Classic response

Dermot Keely and his judgement is sound so we should be OK.

Christ in a cartoon that man lost the plot moons ago. Glad he's managing you lot as he'll bring you down again. Him and seery suit each other living in the world they live in..........

KOH

Maynard
05/01/2006, 5:26 PM
Christ in a cartoon that man lost the plot moons ago. Glad he's managing you lot as he'll bring you down again. Him and seery suit each other living in the world they live in..........

KOH

Can somebody PLEASE find this baby his bottle, otherwise his bitter, salted tears might short-circuit this entire site!

And for what it's worth IMO: Rodgers, Pender, Whelehan, Brennan, McGill, Crowley, Collins, Freeman, and possibly McCarthy are Premier Division standard, with a few (Sheilo, Rooney, McDonnell, Keely) that I'll reserve my judgement on until I see them in 2006. And for me that's not a bad basis of a team who's only obligation is to survive...

All the smaller Prem clubs have bit part players/squad players/journeymen, so we can't expect the Harlem F@cking Globe Trotters;)

Da Real Rover
05/01/2006, 10:31 PM
i was talking about Sligo:rolleyes:
Im just perplexed at the moment, i'll take it as a joke because it doesnt make one ounce of sense. I know where are fanbase is, believe it or not Sligo is a town outside the pale, you might of heard about us. We have a decent premier division ground and are firmly rooted in the sligo community.
You have yet to point out where your 'roots' are, wheres your home, have you even got a home?

Cosmo
06/01/2006, 8:06 AM
4 pages on the the dublin city chairmans comments :eek:

Are Dublin City now officially the BIG CLUB in Dublin :D

NY Hoop
06/01/2006, 10:46 AM
Can somebody PLEASE find this baby his bottle, otherwise his bitter, salted tears might short-circuit this entire site!

Well if you think that keely has sound judgment you need to suck on a big bottle kid!

KOH

sligoman
06/01/2006, 10:49 AM
4 pages on the the dublin city chairmans comments :eek:

Are Dublin City now officially the BIG CLUB in Dublin :DYeah, people do seem to talk a lot of sh!te on here lately:D.

NY Hoop
06/01/2006, 10:56 AM
Yeah, people do seem to talk a lot of sh!te on here lately:D.

Coming from you of all people that is the quote of the century:D :D

KOH

mypost
08/01/2006, 2:17 AM
What i dont like about them is that they call themselves 'Dublin City', as they have no core fanbase they hope to cast their net far and wide and hopefully attract a greater number of fans across the whole city of Dublin. Id have alot more respect for them if they had a local community they represented just like the rest of the dublin teams but instead they try and play it cute and say their representing the whole of dublin, it just wont work. They are a rootless club and in my opinion a pointless club, simply a tarnish on the League.

There's a simple solution to that, just call them Home Farm like me, as everyone knows what you're talking about. Why? Because it's
effectively the same club.

dcfcsteve
08/01/2006, 2:22 AM
There's a simple solution to that, just call them Home Farm like me, as everyone knows what you're talking about. Why? Because it's
effectively the same club.

Not effectively the same club - it IS the same club.

And if anyone tries to tell you otherwise, ask them when Dublin City got elected to the league in Home Farm's place....

Ringo
08/01/2006, 7:31 AM
yawn, :rolleyes: have you nothing better add to the debate.

Drumcondra Red
08/01/2006, 9:46 AM
At least they've got vision for the future!

RR, wasn't Ollie's ban from the pitch and not the actual stadia?

Dr.Nightdub
08/01/2006, 12:36 PM
Unlikely, considering Ollie would have no business being on the pitch or in the dugout in the first place.

Dr.Nightdub
08/01/2006, 12:49 PM
A few statements though are remarkable:
- they want to build a squad that secures Premiership status and quickly grows to a dominant force in Irish football
- they want to keep on expanding until the biggest European teams came to Dublin to play them
- they have ideas to even sell more jerseys and make DCFC a truely present image in Dublin's streets

Nothing wrong with ambition or having high objectives. Dolan used to come out with much the same kind of stuff when he was managing us. However, stating objectives without a plan of how and when they'll be achieved is just so much hot air.

Maybe Seery just hasn't been around the eL long enough for reality to sink in. Last season was, what, CHF's fourth year of existence? I dunno how long Longford have been in the League, but while they've certainly consolidated themselves and made huge progress on and off the pitch, they're still light years from the kind of level Seery's talking about.

So far, Seery's talking a big game - Dolan Lite, that's the height of it.

Raheny Red
08/01/2006, 1:02 PM
I could be mistaken DR, but I'm sure I read it somewhere that he had a ground ban.

dcfcsteve
08/01/2006, 4:11 PM
yawn, :rolleyes: have you nothing better add to the debate.

Yawn - just like Continuity Home Farm Frankenstein City have nothing better to add to the league..... :D :p

Maynard
08/01/2006, 5:20 PM
Yawn - just like Continuity Home Farm Frankenstein City have nothing better to add to the league..... :D :p

Jesus Christ:rolleyes: Would you ever read a f@cking book or something? Perhaps start with "Spot the Dog" and work upwards, because your vocabulary on this (and any other DC issue) is increbibly stunted and boring, get a life and support your own bloody team.

dcfcsteve
08/01/2006, 7:41 PM
Jesus Christ:rolleyes: Would you ever read a f@cking book or something? Perhaps start with "Spot the Dog" and work upwards, because your vocabulary on this (and any other DC issue) is increbibly stunted and boring, get a life and support your own bloody team.

The classic response of someone who's defeated in an arguement - resort to personal insults.... :rolleyes:

I'll busy myself when you and all the other Continuity Home Farm fans stop trying to force your pipe-dream on everyone else, and once and for all admit that either one of the following is true regarding your club :

a) That you're not a new club, and are just Home Farm in another guise.

If the answer to this is 'no' then the following is, by default, true instead :

b) That you're in the league 'illegally' as you weren't elected into it according to its rules.

Time to stop deluding yourself and everyone else. Decide which of the above 2 sceanrios is correct, tell us all, and then I'll happily read Spot the Dog to you before putting you to bed at night.

P.S. To highlight the irony of you criticising "my vocabulary" on this issue, and suggesting I indulge in remedial reading - whilst you would have had a point in stating that my arguement on the legitimacy of CHF in the league is repetitive, my "vocabulary" certainly isn't. There's a more than subtle and obvious difference.

Maynard
09/01/2006, 5:59 PM
Defeated in an arguement? I wasn't aware that merely repeating the same boring slurs at a club in general ammounted to the structures of an arguement...? How exactly is this "arguement" resolved? "Yes I support Home Farm" perhaps? Well I don't..."Ok so my club doesn't actually exist and is taking the place of some exctremely well run regional club that is knocking the eL's door down year upon year only to be denied purely because my non-club exists (in some sort of transient vacum obviously) and is stopping the eL from expanding" ? Well that's bullsh1t as well. In short you are full of it, and if you think spouting the same two lines of mind-numbing diatribe constitutes and arguement then you should become a f@cking politcian. If you think that you are going to get me back on a barstool with the thousands of other "football supporters" in Dublin then you are very much mistaken, and similarly if you think that your comments are going to get me to run out on the club that I have experienced middling highs and plumetting lows with in the past 4 years and supported throughout, in favour of one of the other Dublin teams that don't represent me or where I'm from then you are again, very much mistaken.

You can argue away to your hearts content, but you will not stop the club I (and believe it or not, some others also:eek: ) support from existing and it's people like you that give us the fuel to not give up on our club no matter how difficult things get. I won't waste any more of my time on this psuedo discussion as my opinion has been made clear on more than one occasion. As above I recommend you invest your energies in your own club and let me look after mine.

Cosmo
09/01/2006, 6:29 PM
If you think that you are going to get me back on a barstool with the thousands of other "football supporters" in Dublin then you are very much mistaken,

Good to hear - better you lot and ronan seery doing what you're at than doing that.

Like ffs I would love if both UCD and Dublin weren't in the Premier League, and a couple of other teams with big support from around the country got promoted.

But they're there on merit - if 2 clubs with sh!t support can do it, I can't see why its not possible for the likes of Finn Harps, Galway, Craptown, etc to do it? :confused:

Dublin City are here on merit, so live with it and hopefully other clubs from around the country can learn a thing or 2 from them get promoted, send the both down (no offence dublin or UCD supporters ;) )and we've more country teams with decent suppot in the Premier League

dcfcsteve
09/01/2006, 11:33 PM
Defeated in an arguement? I wasn't aware that merely repeating the same boring slurs at a club in general ammounted to the structures of an arguement...? How exactly is this "arguement" resolved? "Yes I support Home Farm" perhaps? Well I don't..."Ok so my club doesn't actually exist and is taking the place of some exctremely well run regional club that is knocking the eL's door down year upon year only to be denied purely because my non-club exists (in some sort of transient vacum obviously) and is stopping the eL from expanding" ? Well that's bullsh1t as well. In short you are full of it, and if you think spouting the same two lines of mind-numbing diatribe constitutes and arguement then you should become a f@cking politcian. If you think that you are going to get me back on a barstool with the thousands of other "football supporters" in Dublin then you are very much mistaken, and similarly if you think that your comments are going to get me to run out on the club that I have experienced middling highs and plumetting lows with in the past 4 years and supported throughout, in favour of one of the other Dublin teams that don't represent me or where I'm from then you are again, very much mistaken.

You can argue away to your hearts content, but you will not stop the club I (and believe it or not, some others also:eek: ) support from existing and it's people like you that give us the fuel to not give up on our club no matter how difficult things get. I won't waste any more of my time on this psuedo discussion as my opinion has been made clear on more than one occasion. As above I recommend you invest your energies in your own club and let me look after mine.

Never mind that i should become a politician - you're proving expert at refusing to answer a question you don't want to face yourself. Instead you've gone down the usual "we shall not be deterred by you and your like, I'm not going back to my barstool, yedda, yedda, yedda" rant.

So I'll put my question very clearly to you again, and see if you try to dodge out of answering it yet again. One or other of the following situations must be true with regards Dublin City. Which one is it :

a) That you're not a new club, and are just Home Farm in another guise.
If so, then drop all this 'new club' bullsh!t.

However - if the answer to a) is 'no' then the following must, by default, be true instead :

b) That your club is in the league 'illegally', as it wasn't elected into it according to its rules.

In case you try to dodge the question yet again by giving out the aul "I don't have to answer to you, blah blah" response - the only reason why this is ever asked about Dublin City is because there are genuine question marks over the legitimate presence of your club in our league. Not from an on-the-pitch footballing perspective, but from an off-the-pitch administrative and legislative one. Here is an opportunity for you and any other Dublin City fan to solve that situation by giving us an answer to the above question.

Raheny Red
09/01/2006, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by Raheny Red
P.S for those who think DCFC should not be the eL please don't bring up comments like "DCFC don't deserve a place....". They are in the premier now, so just face it!!

FFS lads! I wrote this post (5th post of this thread). Forget why they shouldn't be in the league now....they are here now so just face it :mad: !

DCFC seem to have great vision for the future. Good luck to them, they may not succeed but at least they are trying to reach for the top! If they do fail in their attempt they will at least know they tried and gave it their. What's the point being involved in football if you are not going to set high standards??

dcfcsteve
10/01/2006, 12:07 AM
FFS lads! I wrote this post (5th post of this thread). Forget why they shouldn't be in the league now....they are here now so just face it :mad: !

DCFC seem to have great vision for the future. Good luck to them, they may not succeed but at least they are trying to reach for the top! If they do fail in their attempt they will at least know they tried and gave it their. What's the point being involved in football if you are not going to set high standards??

Fine - but let them stop with all the bleeding heart "ohhh, but we're a new team" ballax then !

Breifne
10/01/2006, 11:48 AM
Fine - but let them stop with all the bleeding heart "ohhh, but we're a new team" ballax then !

I hate this kinda crap going on, which seems to be almost every second post about our club on this site. The simple facts of the case are that we are not Home Farm.

Every single Dublin City fan on this site had there first experience of the club well after (at least three years) after the change from Home Farm, so i don't feel i have to justify anything to anyone, i picked my club to support based on basic geography (round the corner from where i lived at the time) and on pure entertainment factor. (I'm one of those who were enticed by a free night out, it does work).

If Mr Seery pulled a fast one to get his "franchise" into the league, the fact is that he was allowed, so therefore in my estimation, the league (the member clubs are the league) are as responsible for admitting this "franchise" as he is.

Every club in the league can voice their opinion on any matter at any time at league management meetings. If they didn't that's they're fault. They represent your clubs as well as ours, so stop bitching at us, we had nothing to do with it, its your clubs reps to the League who passed the whole thing.

Magicme
10/01/2006, 12:09 PM
I know what you mean Bref....everytime I open my mouth to say something positive about the Mons I get the same sorta crap. Its a petty but when some of them grow up they will realise that.

NY Hoop
10/01/2006, 12:12 PM
I know what you mean Bref....everytime I open my mouth to say something positive about the Mons I get the same sorta crap. Its a petty but when some of them grow up they will realise that.

Dont flatter yourself. Its not personal. Its just your 2 clubs shouldnt be in the league and would be better served at the non league level.

KOH

dcfcsteve
10/01/2006, 12:14 PM
The simple facts of the case are that we are not Home Farm.

If they're facts, please explain - with dates and events....

If Mr Seery pulled a fast one to get his "franchise" into the league, the fact is that he was allowed, so therefore in my estimation, the league (the member clubs are the league) are as responsible for admitting this "franch/ise" as he is.

Every club in the league can voice their opinion on any matter at any time at league management meetings. If they didn't that's they're fault. They represent your clubs as well as ours, so stop bitching at us, we had nothing to do with it, its your clubs reps to the League who passed the whole thing.

Ballax- he DIDN'T pull a fast one. He just made a name change to an existing team, which is perfectly withion the rules ! No motion went before the League saying 'Home Farm are leaving now, and I want to replace them with a new club called Dublin City'.

The 'Home Farm' name proper disappeared from senior football in Ireland at the end of the 1994/5 season. At that point, Seery changed the name of the club to 'Home Farm Everton' - to reflect your associations with that English club.

When that relationship came to and end he changed the name of the club from Home Farm Everton to 'Home Farm Fingal' for the 1998/9 season, to try to tap into that large demographic area.

Then he stumbled upon another idea, and changed the name of your club from Home Farm Fingal to 'Dublin City' in 2001/2.

On none of those 3 changes did he AT ANY POINT say to the league that he was introducing a different club. They were presented to the Eircom League as merely name changes. There was therefore no decision for the League to take. It was the same as EMFA changing to 'Kilkenny City' in 1989/90, or 'Newcastle United' becoming 'Newcastle West' in 1986/7. All were presented to the league as nothing more then NAME CHANGES.

STOP DELUDING YOURSELVES !!!! It's only Dublin City fans who seem to think you're a new club. No-one else buys this - and neither does Seery, judging by the fact he registered you with the league as only a name change. It's the same CEO and the same league slot right the way through. How exactly does that make you a new club ??

You're claiming you're a new club for strategic reasons - as that makes it much easier to present yourself to people for fundraising, rather than admit you've been around in senior football under various names for over 30years and have hardly rocked the world. Stop deluding yourselves, and then you'll find that a lot of the criticism of your club disappears.

Magicme
10/01/2006, 12:24 PM
Dont flatter yourself. Its not personal. Its just your 2 clubs shouldnt be in the league and would be better served at the non league level.

KOH

Yawn....anyone else bored of this yet??

dcfcsteve
10/01/2006, 12:30 PM

I've never read of anyone questioning Monaghan United's place in the league (ignoring NY Hoop's response above).

The 2 teams are clearly very different. Monaghan were elected as Monaghan United, and have been in the league continuously as that team since 1985.

You can go all the way back to Drumcondra FC's election into the league in 1928/9 to find the origins of Dublin City. Drumcondra were replaced in the league in 1972/3 by 'Home Farm Drums' - playing in the same stadium. Hoem Farm Drums changed their name to 'Home Farm' the following season, and went through a further 3 name changes since then to become Dublin City. However - their fans have deluded themselves that they are somehow a new team - despite the fact their own CEO only registered with the league for yet another name change in their long history. They now parade this 'new team' mantra around as a badge of honour and a justification for their limited resources, whilst their CEO uses it to attract support and fundraising.

The comparison of Monaghan with Dublin City is therefore light years apart...

The above info regarding Dublin City is FACT ! If anyone wishes to disagree with them, please do so with FACTS - not emotional ballax.

pineapple stu
10/01/2006, 12:30 PM
Does the eL section moderator do any work at all?

Magicme
10/01/2006, 12:34 PM
Thanks Steve but have had it from others. But hey thats life as a footie fan, you all ways run into some guff from other fans....all part of the fun!

mypost
10/01/2006, 12:39 PM
"Dublin City aims for Europe"

:D :D :D

Dublin City go nowhere, as they don't exist.

Meanwhile in 11 months, the only place Home Farm are going, is the First Division!!

Ringo
10/01/2006, 2:05 PM
"Dublin City aims for Europe"
Dublin City go nowhere, as they don't exist.

Meanwhile in 11 months, the only place Home Farm are going, is the First Division!!
At least we've a chance, you'll be in the LL by next season.:p. We existed for the play off's:p

NY Hoop
10/01/2006, 2:18 PM
At least we've a chance, you'll be in the LL by next season.:p. We existed for the play off's:p

The LL is where your club belongs. You cant deny that.

KOH

Bald Student
10/01/2006, 3:56 PM
Where your logic falls down Steve is that Drumcondra, Home Farm and DCFC are now clearly three seperate clubs so new clubs must have formed at some stage.

The old Home Farm split into two seperate clubs a few years ago. The junior set up kept the name Home Farm and the senior set up kept the league place and changed its name eventually to Dublin City. To argue wheather that is a new club or an old club is arguing over semantics. This argument might have been interesting a few years ago when the changes were going on but is is old now. DCFC are in the league and in the premier on footballing merit.

dcfcsteve
10/01/2006, 4:31 PM
Where your logic falls down Steve is that Drumcondra, Home Farm and DCFC are now clearly three seperate clubs so new clubs must have formed at some stage.

The old Home Farm split into two seperate clubs a few years ago. The junior set up kept the name Home Farm and the senior set up kept the league place and changed its name eventually to Dublin City. To argue wheather that is a new club or an old club is arguing over semantics. This argument might have been interesting a few years ago when the changes were going on but is is old now. DCFC are in the league and in the premier on footballing merit.

I've NEVER said that Dublin City don't deserve to be in the Premier on-merit, as they clearly do. What I am saying is that - if the club and its fans insist on pretending for their own purposes that they aren't Home Farm under another name (and the continuity of league place can only suggest that they are) then that questions their right to be in the league on administrative and legislative grounds - not on-the-pitch merit.

They're different clubs only in so far as, for example, a person changing their name and image is a different person. Jordan is still Katie Price, for example, and can't erase that part of her history. She wasn't magically born afresh in her late teens. Just like Dublin City didn't magically appear from nowhere 4 years ago. They had a previous life as 'Home Farm lots of things' from which there is a clear line of continuity. And who's to say they won't change name again at some point ?

If it's the same person (Seery) doing the same thing (football) with the same league place, and pretty much everything else is the same bar yet another name change- then it's clearly the same club.

Kilkenny City don't pretend they didn't exist prior to their name change from EMFA in 1989 ! This Great Gatsby-esque idea of changing the name of a club and hoping it erases all your previous history is just frankly ridiculous ! Dublin City did not just magically appear in 2001 - they have a past under a number of different names ! Dublin City fans choose to ignore this as it suits them and their CEO to do so.

And it's not just a question of semantics. If you accept that a club becomes a totally separate and new club purely by renaming itself - without having to leave and rejoin the league - then that's a recipe for disaster. Get into trouble with the league and have an impending points deduction ? No problem - just change your name and claim that it was all the previous team, not you.....

Maynard
10/01/2006, 5:43 PM
Ok, here goes...Alright DCFCSteve Dublin City FC is exactly the same club as Home Farm/Home Farm Everton/Home Farm Fingal ok?

So how about you F U C K OFF now eh?

(god I'm so glad I got that off my chest, these past four years of deluding myself has really been hard, I feel like a new man, like a heavy burden has been lifted from my shoulders, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc)

dcfcsteve
10/01/2006, 6:03 PM
Ok, here goes...Alright DCFCSteve Dublin City FC is exactly the same club as Home Farm/Home Farm Everton/Home Farm Fingal ok?

The dawning of reality :D

Think I've just found myself a new signature..... :p

Bald Student
10/01/2006, 6:05 PM
And it's not just a question of semantics. If you accept that a club becomes a totally separate and new club purely by renaming itself - without having to leave and rejoin the league - then that's a recipe for disaster. Get into trouble with the league and have an impending points deduction ? No problem - just change your name and claim that it was all the previous team, not you.....No Steve, a club becomes a totally seperate club by seperating itself totally from the club it was prevoiusly a part of. The issue of avoiding sanctions does not arise here because when Home Farm split into two clubs the senior set up took the points and league postition that Home Farm had at the time. The reason I dismiss this argument as semantics is because we all agree on the facts of what actually happened we only disagree on what terms to use to describe it.
One thing I do find particularly disengenuous is the "Founded 2002" on DCFC's crest. The club was clearly founded a few years before that but changes it's name to DCFC in 2002.

dcfcsteve
10/01/2006, 6:07 PM
No Steve, a club becomes a totally seperate club by seperating itself totally from the club it was prevoiusly a part of. The issue of avoiding sanctions does not arise here because when Home Farm split into two clubs the senior set up took the points and league postition that Home Farm had at the time. The reason I dismiss this argument as semantics is because we all agree on the facts of what actually happened we only disagree on what terms to use to describe it.
One thing I do find particularly disengenuous is the "Founded 2002" on DCFC's crest. The club was clearly founded a few years before that but changes it's name to DCFC in 2002.

So why did that totally separate club not register itself as such to the league ? It only requested a change of name - not status.

Regardless - at the very least Dublin City began life as Home Farm Everton in 1995. So no matter what why you look at it, Dublin City CANNOT factually claim that it didn't exist prior to 2002.

Bald Student
10/01/2006, 6:18 PM
So why did that totally separate club not register itself as such to the league ? It only requested a change of name - not status.Because the league is only interested in the senior set-up of the club, where there was continuity. As an analogy, UCD's Men's and Women's clubs are currently administrated seperately. If we were to merge at some point in the future it should not affect UCD's league position, similarly if UCD's men's club decided to split into two new clubs (say seperate senior and intervarsity clubs) both sets of teams should be allowed to remain in their respective leagues despite the fact that at least one club, if not both, are 'new'.

Regardless - at the very least Dublin City began life as Home Farm Everton in 1995. So no matter what why you look at it, Dublin City CANNOT factually claim that it didn't exist prior to 2002.We'll agree on that point anyway, it's clearly done for marketing purposes. It's a white lie to promote the club.

dcfcsteve
10/01/2006, 6:28 PM
Because the league is only interested in the senior set-up of the club, where there was continuity. As an analogy, UCD's Men's and Women's clubs are currently administrated seperately. If we were to merge at some point in the future it should not affect UCD's league position, similarly if UCD's men's club decided to split into two new clubs (say seperate senior and intervarsity clubs) both sets of teams should be allowed to remain in their respective leagues despite the fact that at least one club, if not both, are 'new'.

You're losing me a bit here Bald Student.

It was only the 'senior' Home Farm club that was ever in 'senior' football - so the junior branch splitting off from them made no difference whatsoever to their senior status. Hence the ongoing senior club still claimed Home Farm's senior heritage (e.g. 1974 FAI Cup winners) as it was the same club before and after FROM A SENIOR PERSPECTIVE. The junior perspective is irrelevant to a discussion about senior clubs in a senior league. Your the one who's being semantic here.