PDA

View Full Version : Gunthers squad.

pete
13/05/2002, 11:10 AM
(Anythings better than working today so here goes.....)

I'm sure we've all noticed how many player have left city the recent seasons which seems to strangely have coincided with Liam Murphys arrival.

The only players left in the squad since Gunther took over as manager are: Devine, Horgan, Napier, Coughlan, Daly & Mulligan. I've not included Colin O'Brien or Mooney as I don't belive they will stay. Not sure if O'Rourke was there before he started as Manager.

This means only 1 non-defender who i suspect would not be staying unless still under contract.

I know a manager has to bring in the type of players he wants but surely this is overdoing it a bit?

Anyone else worried?

:(

Éanna
13/05/2002, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by pete
Anyone else worried?
I was worried the day he took over and it's got worse ever since. The man is ineffective, incompetent and ignorant- OUT OUT OUT:mad:

Pablo
13/05/2002, 12:53 PM
i hate the man as much as the rest of ye. but i honestly belive we should get behind the team and management this year. if it doesnt go right then he has no choice but to go, but with the new signings, and hopefully a striker or 2 to come, things look on the up?

SÓC
13/05/2002, 1:14 PM
Originally posted by pete
Not sure if O'Rourke was there before he started as Manager.

O'Rourke made his debut in the Mountfield days up in Belfield on the coldest day ever recorded in history, I think it was Stephen's Day that the Match was on but I aint sure.

League of Ireland Clubs seem to have a very high turnover of players in general, Cork City are no exception to this, sure look at the 11 players Bohs had on the field against K'luatern and look at their starting 11 now.

Pablo
13/05/2002, 1:23 PM
o god that day in Belfield.......it was the coldest day in History! City were crap....and we got caught in a bizzard on the way home.......the joys of it

niamh
13/05/2002, 1:36 PM
Originally posted by Pablo
we should get behind the team and management this year.

In fairness they are going about the right things since the end of the season. Every manager deserves a chance, even though Gunther is on his infinite one.
He will practically have a new team this season, so it will be interesting to see what he makes of it. We should be behind the team no matter who the manager is and what sort of crap they play. Teams will not improve with fans on their back.

pete
13/05/2002, 2:16 PM
Teams will not improve with fans on their back.

Thats why foot.ie should be used for the bitchin' & moaning ;)

Can support the team during the games then.

Given the lack of enthuasism at home games last year (luckily i missed a lot of those "performances") if the team doesn't get off to a good start not even friday evening footie will keep the crowds up.

Troy.McClure
13/05/2002, 4:51 PM
i hate the man as much as the rest of ye. but i honestly belive we should get behind the team and management this year. if it doesnt go right then he has no choice but to go, but with the new signings, and hopefully a striker or 2 to come, things look on the up?

If ye want him out, then dont give him any excuses.

One of his last year was that the fans were acting against the team and affecting their preformances and if you look at the stats, you will see that City only won 2 more matches at home than away, and indeed lost as many matches at home than away. Im sure that most people will say that our best performances were generally away from home (notably the Rovers 3:1 win in Inchicore but followed by the 0:1 loss in the Cross the week after), so if ye SUPPORT THE TEAM ALL THROUGH THE SEASON we will either a) Get on quite well or b) Get a new manager for next year. Either way, everybody's happy.Easy:)

Éanna
14/05/2002, 11:47 AM
i hate the man as much as the rest of ye. but i honestly belive we should get behind the team and management this year.
NO NO AND NO AGAIN! :mad: Thats why he's still in the job! When we lose half of the ground calls for his head, and then one goal a fortnight later and everyones happy again- if people had stuck to their convictions like some of us have and consistently berated gunther for his stupidity and poor management, he'd have been gone a long time ago and we'd all be much happier.

Pablo
14/05/2002, 11:50 AM
i just think if we put too much energy into hating Gunther and not enough into supporting the team...antone notice the stmosphere this year>?

Colm
14/05/2002, 3:05 PM
I have always and will continue to support the team but that doesnt mean that I must support Gunther. I will not back Gunther as long as he continues to use crap tactics, use the Hoof, make idiotic excuses and insult the fans. If he undergoes a complete change of character during the close season then I will give him my full backing.

Troy.McClure
14/05/2002, 3:49 PM
Originally posted by Éanna

NO NO AND NO AGAIN! :mad: Thats why he's still in the job! When we lose half of the ground calls for his head, and then one goal a fortnight later and everyones happy again- if people had stuck to their convictions like some of us have and consistently berated gunther for his stupidity and poor management, he'd have been gone a long time ago and we'd all be much happier.

If you do that then the CLUB could easily fall into an endless downward spiral. Remember that the club relyes so much on gate reciepts and I really do feel that the negative atmosphere created (primarily in the Shed) does turn people off going to the ground.
I know that its hard to have a positive outlook and atmosphere when the teams performances arent great, but surely helping the team lift their performancs can only be good for everyone? As a fan and a supporter, you should do all you can by getting behind the team and the club & like it or not, that has to include to some extent, the manager.
Someone has to take the first positive step on the road to success, lets make it the fans! :)

niamh
15/05/2002, 11:16 AM
The point is that there is a footballing public in Cork...the International games at the Cross proved that. It's the perceived lack of decent football on display at Turners Cross week in week out that is keeping people away.

If proper football is played and is seen to be played, the people will come....

James
15/05/2002, 11:23 AM
and who choose's what type of football is played at the cross.... ?

niamh
15/05/2002, 11:26 AM
We all know who does. My point was simply that there is a football crowd in Cork and they would come IF good football was played.

Éanna
15/05/2002, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by niamh
We all know who does. My point was simply that there is a football crowd in Cork and they would come IF good football was played.
hence my determination to see that idiot hit the high road ASAP

A face
15/05/2002, 12:27 PM

My sentiments anyway, Tóg go bog é feens, It is a short season and alot of change has taken place, alot of new players in the door who will think the support for City are sad whingin' b@stards if we have an atmosphere like last year, ..... And none of us want that now do we !! ** shakes finger and frowns ** Right around now might be the right time to take you finger out of your hole and start to support your club, shut up moanin' and lighten up. I mean we all know why b!tch smaking was invented, quit the pessimistic pedantic bull cacca and sing you mothers !!! Sing i tells ya .... Sing. Whos got the flares and confetti and what is the new song you all want to sing, oh yeah .... i bags the seat at the back of the bus for away games ALL YEAR, i said it first you smucks and thats all about it !!

James
15/05/2002, 4:48 PM
Originally posted by A face
. Whos got the flares and confetti

well FAO face: flares are now banned by the FAI and CCFC at Turners Cross and other eircom league grounds, AFAIK ... so use them at your own risk..

Troy.McClure
15/05/2002, 4:49 PM
Originally posted by niamh
If proper football is played and is seen to be played, the people will come....
Not neccerally true IMO. People will always look down on the eL. There was fantastic football the year we won the cup, you could even say sexy football but the crowds still wernt fantastic except for the big 4 games. I remember being at a match against some one like Shels one week that I could barely squeeze into the Shed, but the next week there were only a few hundred (it was against UCD). I think that it shows that City have a good/fair core support, but that the money is to be made from passive supporters.
Getting back to your point, I think that people's opinion of U21 International soccer is higher than the eL, aswell as the fact that it was a "once off" match + there was the chance you could be watching 'the next big thing'. Id say that many people at that match have never, and will never go to an eL match until the profile of the league in general is lifted. If good quality football guarenteed good gates, then Shels would have fans!

pete
15/05/2002, 5:23 PM
Originally posted by Troy.McClure
Getting back to your point, I think that people's opinion of U21 International soccer is higher than the eL, aswell as the fact that it was a "once off" match + there was the chance you could be watching 'the next big thing'. Id say that many people at that match have never, and will never go to an eL match until the profile of the league in general is lifted. If good quality football guarenteed good gates, then Shels would have fans!

Yup, novelty factor of u-19/21 footie under lights must have bboosted crowd by several thousands too.

However underage internationals are a good opportunity for city to get new people to visit the crowd & realise the facilities not oo bad. Tempting those people to go to a few eL games is the hard bit.....

James
15/05/2002, 5:28 PM
yea the facilities are getting better but IMO that aint the problem.
CCFC has an image problem in Cork City.. and that needs to be changed first..

Pablo
15/05/2002, 5:28 PM
Well over here theres not a pub/club/college/shop that doesnt have a poster up when Swansea are playing........apart from the chipper i never see a sign up for a city match

James
15/05/2002, 5:31 PM
Well over here theres not a pub/club/college/shop that doesnt have a poster up when Swansea are playing........apart from the chipper i never see a sign up for a city match

hahaa what u expect city to put up posters over in swansea now do ya for matches on in cork..

UNBELEIVABLE some people..

No thats something the club definately have to look at for next season... raising awareness of the club should be very important and it shouldnt be too big an effort to pur up a few posters around the city every second week..

Troy.McClure
16/05/2002, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by James
CCFC has an image problem in Cork City.. and that needs to be changed first..
Its not just City, its the whole league. Shels & Rovers put adds in the Star & Evil Gerald (Schumi will get it) every week they have a match and the UCD soccer supporters society put up loads & loads of posters (more than any other club Id say) but still dont get hugh crowds, although Id say that that has more to do with the fact that the students dont astually know where Belfield Park is! :o (they're probably stuck in the library... nerds!):D

Éanna
21/05/2002, 7:18 PM
i just think if we put too much energy into hating Gunther and not enough into supporting the team...antone notice the stmosphere this year>?
with that in mind, hows about this for a new chant:
WE ARE RED, WE ARE WHITE,
LIAM MURPHY'S MADE US SH!TE,
WE LOVE YOU, WE LOVE YOU, WE DO!
that way we support the team and still get to tell that muppet what we think of him!:D

Pablo
22/05/2002, 2:04 PM

LIAM MURPHY'S MADE US ,sh!te
sh!te

Great supporting......

your obsessed boy........what is it they say? a fine line between love and hate :)

Gunther Lover!

niamh
22/05/2002, 5:14 PM

LIAM MURPHY'S MADE US SH!TE,
that way we support the team and still get to tell that muppet what we think of him!:D

excellent....
absolutely absurd and funny at the same time...