PDA

View Full Version : My Dying Goldfish

Pages : [1] 2

Lionel Ritchie
16/11/2005, 10:03 AM
Not kidding folks!!!!

When I checked the tank this morning Olaf The Cruel was lying on the bottom of the tank. He's still breathing but is visibly poorly and bloated. Olaf is six years old and has never had any health problems. He's about 5 inches long and is a great pet.

I cleaned the tank at the weekend. I NEVER use detergents when cleaning. I just wipe down the sides with the gauze/sponge out of the filter. I NEVER change the water -which is crystal clear, I simply add to it. So it's not toxic shock or at least shouldn't be.

Olafs buddy Gaylord The Evil is the same age, same size and is quite chipper but neither of them took food this morning so I'm worried he might be coming down with something too.

Ideas?

finlma
16/11/2005, 10:10 AM
Ideas?

Fish and chips for dinner??

Only joking, sorry for being so insensitive. The life expectancy for a goldfish is only around 5 years as far as I know, anything after is a bonus. Maybe time is up.

joeSoap
16/11/2005, 10:13 AM
Might find your answers here (http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/faq.html)

Lionel Ritchie
16/11/2005, 10:19 AM
Fish and chips for dinner??

Only joking, sorry for being so insensitive. The life expectancy for a goldfish is only around 5 years as far as I know, anything after is a bonus. Maybe time is up.

that's been said to me a few times this morning about his age - actually so has the fish'n'chips thing. :eek:

Goldfish have been known to live into their 30's. rare enough due to the conditions they're kept in but it happens.

I used feed them every day but found they sat around on their arse all the time. Then I stopped and I'd just feed 'em every now and again when i'd think of it and they were far healthier for it. It's true what they say 'Hungry fish are healthy fish'.

Like I said I don't change the water -we actually brought the tanks water with us when we moved house as we knew there was a difference in water hardness where we were heading.

the 12 th man
16/11/2005, 10:48 AM
Goldfish have been known to live into their 30's. rare enough due to the conditions they're kept in but it happens.

I used feed them every day but found they sat around on their arse all the time. Then I stopped and I'd just feed 'em every now and again when i'd think of it and they were far healthier for it. It's true what they say 'Hungry fish are healthy fish'.

Like I said I don't change the water -we actually brought the tanks water with us when we moved house as we knew there was a difference in water hardness where we were heading.

Sounds like a bit of a mystery alright........."The Da Vinci Cod"?

dahamsta
16/11/2005, 11:09 AM
Fish and chips for dinner?POTM!

Drumcondra Red
16/11/2005, 11:12 AM
Well now, my old fish, Goldie, original I know, lived for about 8-9 years, used to feed him (or her???) once a day, and change the water once a week, when changing the water I'd put the plug in the sink, fill it up with the dirty water and throw him in after, then fill up fresh from the tap, he was grand until the tail fell off, forcing us to give him a lethal injection, sad, sad day. He also once jumped into a cup of tea, 3-4 years before his death, so you could try that???

Unfortunatley Rocky and Jaws was a different story altogether, they only lasted about a couple of months, I think room temp has a lot to do with it too. Goldie was kept in the utility room beside the side door in the gaff!!!

Now I can also help with other animals, my dog was 16/ 17 when he died and Phred, (yeah, its Fred with a "Ph" so what???) my cockatial (bird) is roughly 17!!!

redgav
16/11/2005, 11:34 AM
Not kidding folks!!!!

When I checked the tank this morning Olaf The Cruel was lying on the bottom of the tank. He's still breathing but is visibly poorly and bloated. Olaf is six years old and has never had any health problems. He's about 5 inches long and is a great pet.

I cleaned the tank at the weekend. I NEVER use detergents when cleaning. I just wipe down the sides with the gauze/sponge out of the filter. I NEVER change the water -which is crystal clear, I simply add to it. So it's not toxic shock or at least shouldn't be.

Olafs buddy Gaylord The Evil is the same age, same size and is quite chipper but neither of them took food this morning so I'm worried he might be coming down with something too.

Ideas?

have you tried that algae thing for the water ??? I add a couple of drops of it to the tank and mines lived for 61/2 years so far

Could also be a case of the other fish is the dominant one and has tried to kill it - that happened with mine - I had 3 and the one I have now killed the other two

Lionel Ritchie
16/11/2005, 11:46 AM
I'll be trying some salts for algae later but I don't think there's an algae issue. Water temperature is room temperature (it's a cold tank) so between 18 and 22C.

your fish lived for 61/2 years?:eek: that's like thirty years and six months?;)

I think if Gaylord was trying to kill Olaf he might've made his move a bit earlier in the preceding 6 years.

From what I'm reading elsewhere it looks pretty bad. Apparently this stage that Olaf has reached was most likely preceded by some other eratic behaviour indicator and I just didn't notice. Like I said I only feed them a couple of times a week and haven't changed the water in four years.

redgav
16/11/2005, 11:58 AM
I'll be trying some salts for algae later but I don't think there's an algae issue. Water temperature is room temperature (it's a cold tank) so between 18 and 22C.

your fish lived for 61/2 years?:eek: that's like thirty years and six months?;)

I think if Gaylord was trying to kill Olaf he might've made his move a bit earlier in the preceding 6 years.

From what I'm reading elsewhere it looks pretty bad. Apparently this stage that Olaf has reached was most likely preceded by some other eratic behaviour indicator and I just didn't notice. Like I said I only feed them a couple of times a week and haven't changed the water in four years.

this stuff i'm referring to isn't justalgae , its kinda like a liqyuid used for tropical fish tanks and it helps to take away traces of chlorine that attacks the fish as well as algae -swear to god, this stuff is class and mosty petshops sell it

http://www.firsttankguide.net/goldfish.php

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/care.html

sligoman
16/11/2005, 1:39 PM
Hrmmm......

...Sounds a bit fishy if you ask me:D

the 12 th man
16/11/2005, 1:49 PM
haven't changed the water in four years.

:eek: A bit cloudy at this stage I'd say:)

Metrostars
16/11/2005, 2:03 PM
I have a few fish too, I've gone through some rough times but thankfully none of them have popped off in about a year. Sorry to break the sad news for ya but there isnt much hope for your Olaf. Once they look droopy and keep hanging down at the bottom of the tank there is no going back. As for the other fella, it still might be a good idea to refresh some of the water, say about a third of the tank. Make sure you put Stress Coat in the new water you put in.

OwlsFan
16/11/2005, 2:23 PM
I have a few fish too, I've gone through some rough times but thankfully none of them have popped off in about a year. Sorry to break the sad news for ya but there isnt much hope for your Olaf. Once they look droopy and keep hanging down at the bottom of the tank there is no going back. As for the other fella, it still might be a good idea to refresh some of the water, say about a third of the tank. Make sure you put Stress Coat in the new water you put in.

We have two for 3 years now. One we found floating at the top after we changed their food. Wife changed the water and went back to the old food and he recovered.

liam88
16/11/2005, 2:31 PM
Head downt he petshop and pick up some medicine-they normally say the symptoms on the back of the box so find the one closest and put a bit in......serious most of my pocket moeny from about 10-12 went on fish medicine :D

Lionel Ritchie
16/11/2005, 2:55 PM
Thanks for all this lads. As pointed out it aint looking good. Phoned home a while ago and herself says he's fairly stuck to the bottom now on his side.

I'll grab some drops for him on the way home. I have stress coat which I use when adding water.

Hopefully if it's the end -then it's just his time -I don' want to kill the other one over-reacting to this one.

hamish
16/11/2005, 3:18 PM
The fish names above are brilliant. Shakedown (godson) and Bubbles(niece) had fish also and they (the fish) went through the same thing as Lionel mentioned. I think it was an age thing too.
Actually, since this thread is kinda about pets.
Don't laugh, but this is a serious question.
I have an eleven year old Jack Russell called Bunty - a bitch. I'm absolutely convinced that Bunty is a canine version of a lesbian. Seriously.
We had another bitch a few years ago called Pepsi and Bunty was always trying to climb up on her and forever trying to lick her h0le. It got to be very embarrassing when we had visitors so, eventually, we had to keep them in separate parts of the house and Pepsi was obviously straight since she got quite nasty at Bunty's approaches.
Whenever any local (male) mutt has got into the back yard and tried to mount her she'd get vicious and snarled at that dog. Anytime a bitch comes near the house Bunty gets terribly excited and tries to get out to that dog.
Like humans, can dogs be gay too???
I'm dead serious so, please, no taking the p!ss.
Is there anything I should do.:confused: :confused:
BTW Bunty is NOT a male, I checked.
Sadly, too, Pepsi got out onto the road and was killed so that ended that saga.
Bubbles also acquired a pussy cat a few months ago and Bunty is always tossing her toys at him to play with.
I though cats and dogs hated each other.

sligoman
16/11/2005, 3:26 PM
I have an eleven year old Jack Russell called Bunty - a bitch. I'm absolutely convinced that Bunty is a canine version of a lesbian. Seriously.
We had another she-dog a few years ago called Pepsi and Bunty was always trying to climb up on her and forever trying to lick her h0le. It got to be very embarrassing when we had visitors so, eventually, we had to keep them in separate parts of the house and Pepsi was obviously straight since she got quite nasty at Bunty's approaches.
Whenever any local mutt has got (male) into the back yard and tried to mount her she got vicious and snarled at him. Anytime a bitch comes near the house Bunty gets terribly excited and tries to get out to that dog.
I'm dead serious so, please, no taking the P!ss.
Is there anything I should do.:confused:You say all that and expect us not to take the p!ss?:confused: :p

the 12 th man
16/11/2005, 3:27 PM
The fish names above are brilliant. Shakedown and Bubbles had fish also and they (the fish) went through the same thing as Lionel mentioned.
Actually, since this thread is kinda about pets.
Don't laugh, but this is a serious question.
We had another she-dog a few years ago called Pepsi and Bunty was always trying to climb up on her and forever trying to lick her h0le. It got to be very embarrassing when we had visitors so, eventually, we had to keep them in separate parts of the house and Pepsi was obviously straight since she got quite nasty at Bunty's approaches.
Whenever any local mutt has got (male) into the back yard and tried to mount her she got vicious and snarled at him. Anytime a bitch comes near the house Bunty gets terribly excited and tries to get out to that dog.
I'm dead serious so, please, no taking the P!ss.
Is there anything I should do.:confused: :confused:
BTW Bunty is NOT a male, I checked.

A lot of Dogs swing both ways from my observations over the years,we had a dog (he) who would hump the sofa :eek:

aido_b
16/11/2005, 3:28 PM
Lionel I'm with ya here man, I feel your pain. My Goldfish Billy the Kid lost his battle with illness last week. I thought he'd died last new years eve and was just about to give up on him when i slapped him off my counter and he began moving again! so perhaps give that old remedy a go! he was five so I reckon it might just be a case of old age my friend! :(

Drumcondra Red
16/11/2005, 3:30 PM
Now, Sir Hamish, this is another area of relevence to me, my dog I had before the 16 year old, Harry was his name, it turns out he was gay, suppose being a c.ocker spaniel he was doomed from the start, the aul' pair got a few bitchs over but instead of getting laid, he was more interested in licking his balls, and look to mount some doggie fellas, so yeah, its entirely possible to have a gay dog!!! (Honestly thats a serious post!)

Lionel Ritchie
16/11/2005, 3:33 PM
If it comes to the point of looking at my wife and infant son and saying "are we all agreed we should stop" and making a Time of Death declaration -then I'm going to do something along the lines of slap him off the counter and see if it helps coz at that stage -well it can't hurt.

Thanks again.

Drumcondra Red
16/11/2005, 3:36 PM
Although remember it is only a goldfish and can be replaced fairly easily, if it avoids upset for the young fella!

aido_b
16/11/2005, 3:41 PM
Although remember it is only a goldfish and can be replaced fairly easily, if it avoids upset for the young fella!

Drum red, a goldfish is for life not just for christmas yeah! just because you have a gay dog!

Drumcondra Red
16/11/2005, 3:47 PM
Actually Aido, for your information, that dog died, he's long gone, a good 16/17 years, hence the other dog I spoke about earlier who lived till he was 16, straight as an arrow, I was so proud! Now its Roxy's turn, thats a bitch, but she's had a little opperation so she won't have the option to have pups, but I like to think she's fairly straight, the other bloke dogs seem to like the look of her, maybe she's a bit of a ***** tease!!! :D

Lionel Ritchie
16/11/2005, 3:54 PM

No fear. The young fellah's too small to get it. In fact -soon enough the young fellah'll be able to climb the tank and scoop the fish out so at least in that respect Olaf gets to check out at a time of his own choosing.

hamish
16/11/2005, 4:02 PM
Thanks lads. I mean, I wasn't being homophobic or anything but I just thought that animals might not be as sophisticated as humans and, therefore, not have homosexual leanings.
Bunty is much more ...........er.....deferential to the (humanoid) ladies in the two houses. She's ok with me too though, especially since I get her loads of different types of doogie biscuits/chewy things in Supervalue and LIDL.
It's her embarrassing behaviour with other bitches that's a little disconcerting.
Isn't there some mega- successful film about penguins out at the moment which touched on the same thing???:confused:
Sligoman, honest, I was being serious.:)
Lionel's names for the goldfish were brilliant though.
I used to have a collie called Pele and another mutt called Bob (after Seger).

The Stars
16/11/2005, 4:41 PM
Lionel,the symptons you have said sounds like Calarism Lanteritous.It squite common amoung Goldfish of that age.There are many remedies sed to cure it but I find this to be the best:
1.Preheat the deep fat fryer to 180 *C.
2.Place the fish bowl,or in your case tank beside the fryer.
3.This will put the fear of God into the fish(or Ala depending on the religous beliefs of the fish) and he should attempt to swim away from the fryer.If he doesn't,its time to break the bad news to the young fella.

pete
16/11/2005, 5:30 PM
This is going to walk away with Foot.ie thread of the year at this rate.

I don't know why dogs hump legs or sofas but i suspect the "gay" dog is just doing something similar.

:D

Green Tribe
16/11/2005, 5:35 PM
Ha ha hah

I know nothing about goldfish i'm afraid, nor dogs, especially gay/lesbian dogs :eek:

hamish
16/11/2005, 5:42 PM
Sorry now I brought it up in the first place.:o :( :confused:

Green Tribe
16/11/2005, 6:04 PM
Sorry now I brought it up in the first place. :( :confused:

It's ok hamish, I'm sure someone else has a lesbian dog, maybe they could introduce their bitch to yours, at least someone would be getting some rumpy pumpy as you call it in your house....:D

Hehe heh

hamish
16/11/2005, 6:46 PM
It's ok hamish, I'm sure someone else has a lesbian dog, maybe they could introduce their bitch to yours, at least someone would be getting some rumpy pumpy as you call it in your house...

Hehe heh

Y'mean you never heard of the term "rumpy pumpy"????:confused:

I've retired from all that kinda thing anyway.:p :D

liam88
16/11/2005, 7:06 PM
[QUOTE=sirhamish]Sorry now I brought it up in the first place.QUOTE]

....no joke: showing people round our house to sell once-my dad is showing them the front room and i'm round the back-look out the french windows and this big ol' ginger Tom s mounting our cat in the middle of the lawn.....can here my dad saying "I'll show you the garden"......."erm dad you might want to go upstairs first" :D

Our dog used to eat her poo in front of people....more anti-social than beign a lesbian i;m sure you'd agree ;)

Green Tribe
16/11/2005, 7:12 PM
Y'mean you never heard of the term "rumpy pumpy"????:confused:

I've retired from all that kinda thing anyway. :D

I have heard it before, but not that often. It's just a 'hamish' term for me :D

Green Tribe
16/11/2005, 7:17 PM
Our dog used to eat her poo in front of people....more anti-social than beign a lesbian i;m sure you'd agree ;)

:eek:
I'm glad I have never had/will have a pet.....

dfx-
16/11/2005, 7:23 PM
Ha ha hah

I know nothing about goldfish i'm afraid, nor dogs, especially gay/lesbian dogs

THank Christ I have only got cats as pets...:eek: :p

strangeirish
16/11/2005, 7:41 PM
I used to have a pet frog, but......:D

Green Tribe
16/11/2005, 7:49 PM
THank Christ I have only got cats as pets...:eek: :p

They're as bad, always licking their arses....:eek:

dfx-
16/11/2005, 7:50 PM
How else are they wash themselves? Get the hose out?:eek: ;) :p

Green Tribe
16/11/2005, 8:23 PM
How else are they wash themselves? Get the hose out?:eek: :p

Can they not have a shower and scrub like us, lazy fcukers! ;)

hamish
16/11/2005, 8:33 PM
Nah, they like to be.....er..stroked. Cats are very clean actually.

Did you see strangeirish's pic above LOL

My sides are sore laughing at the wisecracks here and in Tottyland.

The cat we have for the last few months, Bubbles rescued it from a dustbin in Athlone. Apparently, it was only a few days old and some blokes were flinging it to each other like a tennis ball. The they dumped it in that bin.

Bubbles nearly went through them for a short cut. She's a tough little wan, that Bubbles.

Green Tribe
16/11/2005, 8:38 PM
Nah, they like to be.....er..stroked. .

:eek: Hamish! Disgusting, no wonder your dog is gay! :rolleyes: :D

hamish
16/11/2005, 8:54 PM
:eek: Hamish! Disgusting, no wonder you dog is gay! :

You think that's bad.

You should the way the sheep behave around here,

Desperate altogether.

Nice try, KT, trying to distract me from Tottyland and that magic number.:p :D

Green Tribe
16/11/2005, 9:12 PM
Darn, there's no flies on you hamish :rolleyes: :D

hamish
16/11/2005, 9:30 PM
Darn, there's no flies on you hamish

I really think you should pay a visit to Tottyland KT..

er..........I really do.:o

Vanessa and family say HELLO

http://www.kidsfarm.com/littlelostlambs.htm

Stevo Da Gull
16/11/2005, 10:31 PM
How did it go in the end (I did'nt see any confirmation of death{half asleep here BTWW}?

My current fish (just known as fish/fishy since his/her brother/sister passed on) we've had for about 8 years (sister's dead sure it's ten, I'm 16 now so my memory gets kinda blurry when I think too far back, still I think she's confusing Fishy with 2 previous fish we had. a little off-topic there sorry).

Anyway about 7 weeks ago my dad came home to find the fish `dead` floating at the top of its bowl. He poked it a bit with the net- nothing. He put it in the clean bowl nearby- nothing. So he picked it up in the net and got ready to dump it into a bag when the thing starting gulping and flipping about so he put back in the clean water. It had been really lethargic since then and I thought it was on it's way out, but lately it's regained the spring in it's ......... step:confused:

crc
16/11/2005, 10:37 PM
Sounds like a bit of a mystery alright........."The Da Vinci Cod"?
:D :D :D

AidoM
16/11/2005, 11:14 PM
:eek:
I'm glad I have never had/will have a pet.....

Not sure what thread to post this on but I decided on this one!!

From reading this thread and Totty :confused: I thought Bubbles or Siramish might be your pet:D

Green Tribe
16/11/2005, 11:17 PM
Not sure what thread to post this on but I decided on this one!!

From reading this thread and Totty I thought Bubbles or Siramish might be your pet:D

:eek: Jesus Christ!

Well as for updates, dunno about the fish, assume he is still gulping away, and as i'm sure hamish's dog is still gay :D