PDA

View Full Version : New Dalymount Stand

Pages : [1] 2

Buller
26/10/2005, 9:16 PM
Dalymount Plans Unveiled
The stand is a 400-seater with 4 corporate boxes and access from the front of the stand.
http://www.dalymounttrust.org/sc_dev.htm

:eek: :eek: :eek:
Someone please tell me this new stand is a joke!!!:confused:

A face
26/10/2005, 10:04 PM
Just to clairify .... if you are sitting in the Jodi ... it is the goal mouth on your left or right ??

pineapple stu
26/10/2005, 10:19 PM
Must be the goal to the right - where the shopping centre is.

Dodge
26/10/2005, 10:30 PM
Correct

Student Mullet
26/10/2005, 11:44 PM
400 seats is very few. It can't be more than 4-5 rows deep.

dcfcsteve
26/10/2005, 11:51 PM
Have to say that's rather disappointing. Doesn't even seem to stretch from corner-to-corner. Is it really even worth spening the undoubted fortune on that just to create 400 seats and a few corporate boxes ? Doesn't seem to make financial sense.

Is the capacity so low because they're flogging off land to the rear for the new flats shown on the plan ? In which case, if they're getting the stand built as part of that it would make financial sense. But it still seems a nonesense to have so few people at that end in the supposed home of Irish football.

I'd say Dalymount could kiss any Cup Final hosting goodbye if that's the height of their ambition...

monkey magic
26/10/2005, 11:58 PM
I'd say Dalymount could kiss any Cup Final hosting goodbye if that's the height of their ambition...

exactly what i was thinkin, in light of our current debate over the cup final, its seriously dissapointing that bohs have no ambition regarding returning dayler to the top of the list in terms of irish football grounds. as the spiritual home of football in the country, its the ground we should be lookin to host finals in.... not tolka.

Dodge
27/10/2005, 12:19 AM
In fairness to Bohs I'm sure they'd love to bui;d a 20,000 all seater super dooper stadium, but they know, finally, that they're broke and if some crowd wants to build this for them, they'll take it

CollegeTillIDie
27/10/2005, 7:09 AM
This 400 seater stand will only increase the official capacity to approx 7,000

dcfcsteve
27/10/2005, 9:45 AM
In fairness to Bohs I'm sure they'd love to bui;d a 20,000 all seater super dooper stadium, but they know, finally, that they're broke and if some crowd wants to build this for them, they'll take it

The difference in cost between building a stand for 400 and, say, 1,000 seats would be incrementally minimal. The revenue from the latter, however, would obviously be 250% greater. There must be a reason why they're only doing 400, as that's a shockingly low figure.

I'd love to see Cup Finals back in Dalyer - but not if there's only 400 people and a couple of prawn sandwiches behind a goal-mouth during penalties....!

NY Hoop
27/10/2005, 9:54 AM
Is the capacity so low because they're flogging off land to the rear for the new flats shown on the plan ? In which case, if they're getting the stand built as part of that it would make financial sense.

That is the case but apparently the builder has pulled out so da boez are suing him. Maybe a gypo can confirm this?

It looks grand and a sight better than what's there at the minute. But I hope they do something with the connaught st side as putting a roof on it without cleaning the mess underneath would be a disgrace.

It is the spiritual home of Irish football no doubt but the FAI Cup Final should be in Lansdowne as, with Tolka, every player has played there.

If this stand happens it will bring the total amount of seats there to 8,600.

KOH

ThatGuy
27/10/2005, 10:16 AM
Have to say that's rather disappointing. Doesn't even seem to stretch from corner-to-corner. Is it really even worth spening the undoubted fortune on that just to create 400 seats and a few corporate boxes ? Doesn't seem to make financial sense.

Is the capacity so low because they're flogging off land to the rear for the new flats shown on the plan ? In which case, if they're getting the stand built as part of that it would make financial sense. But it still seems a nonesense to have so few people at that end in the supposed home of Irish football.

It is supposedly being built by the developpers of the new shopping centre and apartments, and Bohemians doesn't own enough land to build anything bigger. I don't understand why it doesn't stretch across the pitch though.

thejollyrodger
27/10/2005, 10:24 AM
Very disapointing :(

A face
27/10/2005, 10:39 AM
To be honest ... they should be looking at 2000 seater at that end.
400 doesn't come near it.

Block G Raptor
27/10/2005, 10:41 AM
we struggle to fill the seats we have at the moment so it makes no diff if there is 400 or 4000 the'll be empty nearly every week any way
to the best of my knowledge the dalymount trust are paying for it
is'nt that what they've been fundraising for ??

ThatGuy
27/10/2005, 10:43 AM
any way
to the best of my knowledge the dalymount trust are paying for it
is'nt that what they've been fundraising for ??
No!!!

hoops1
27/10/2005, 10:58 AM
IMO its the right number and a very clever idea if used properly.
If it is opened only for clubs that bring over 400 away fans
i.e Rovers,Pats,Shels with proper food and bar facilites it could earn them
decent revenue or could be used as premium seats something similiar to
Croke park for big cup games or european ties where they could put a
good match day package together food, drink, match etc etc and could
fleece unsuspecting business people
Why have a 2000 seater with no one in it all year the jodi is hardly ever full as is

Roverstillidie
27/10/2005, 11:03 AM
Why have a 2000 seater with no one in it all year the jodi is hardly ever full as is

how did shels end up on that list?
that doesnt make sense. we bring 10 times that, why is this good for us?

hoops1
27/10/2005, 11:12 AM
If Shels were going well they would get 400 easily
especially against Bohs
Your mssing my point it would be good business sense to the Gypos
rather than beneficial to us

ifk101
27/10/2005, 11:15 AM
I dont know what all the fuss is about. Its the stand in Gortakeegan + corporate boxes - ie big enough to house all the f*ckers from mucker.

sfc red
27/10/2005, 11:42 AM
You clown. Look at the first thread on this forum and you will notice that our attendances are higher than Rovers and Pats. Stop living on past glories and get your facts right

NY Hoop
27/10/2005, 11:48 AM
You clown. Look at the first thread on this forum and you will notice that our attendances are higher than Rovers and Pats. Stop living on past glories and get your facts right

By an extra 300 for a club with the best ground, the most expensive team and recent CL qualifier games:eek:

If we had all that there would be no comparison. BTW letting the toddlers from the nearest creche in doesn't count:D

KOH

Roverstillidie
27/10/2005, 12:08 PM

you had 250 in dalymount against rovers, your biggest rivals and the game 3/4 of a mile from your home ground.

similar story against the bozos.

we are talking about dalymount, not tolka.

now **** off.

pete
27/10/2005, 12:24 PM
That stand is like Mini Mnini Me Jodi.

What will Bohs do when more land to sell off? What next chop the side of the Jodi off & build block of flats?

OneRedArmy
27/10/2005, 12:37 PM
Its better than a kick in the arse but is presumably driven by the fact someone else is going to build it for them and they get some money for selling the land. Beggars can't be choosers etc.

Think the boxes are a waste of time behind the goals. People who will pay for boxes will want a decent view of the pitch from along the side of the pitch.

pineapple stu
27/10/2005, 12:39 PM
Suppose it looks better than what's there anyway...

thejollyrodger
27/10/2005, 12:52 PM
In fairness, the stand fits the ambitions for boz.

300 people..says it all really

Schumi
27/10/2005, 12:53 PM
Is this being built by the shopping centre crowd at no cost to Bohs?

Also, there's a roof on the Connaught St seats in the pic at the top of the thread. Is this planned?

pete
27/10/2005, 1:00 PM

Hmmmm......Pot....Kettle....Black....

crc
27/10/2005, 1:19 PM
I think its a good plan. The eL needs good facilities, not big ones. If the guys doing the flats are paying for this, so much the better. I don't know about Corporate Boxes behind the goals, but Bohs aren't going to get any corporate boxes any time soon if they don't put them in here.

It would make a very good away end, but I don't know if they'd want to do that because of the boxes.

If, in the future, Bohs need to up the capacity (however unlikely) there's plenty of scope to do the Connaught St. side.

Kingdom
27/10/2005, 1:37 PM
What a bunch of whingers youse all are!

Look what is there at the moment is right - a crumbling old throwback. Bohs obviously don't have the money there to put a 3/4,000 seat stand in so if they are getting money for the land and a seated section behind the goal with a view to bringing in extra revenue from the boxes then good on them.

And has anyone thought that this stand will be where the away fans might go? Seems none of the eL clubs take much travelling support for the regular games anyway according to you lot, so yeah 400 sounds about right in terms of ambition. Its not as if the league is overflowing with grounds that have completely seated stadia on all 4 sides?

Someone made the point that the stand would only be 5/6 rows deep. How deep does the stand go in the Cross that the camera always picks up? Not much deeper than ten rows I'd say.

Its one thing to debate new issues like this, but it would be no harm to take a step back and look at these things constructively. Fair enough its not as big a stand as most would like but it fulfills a purpose, its all they need, and more importantly, its possibly all they can afford from the land deal.

crc
27/10/2005, 1:46 PM
How deep does the stand go in the Cross that the camera always picks up? Not much deeper than ten rows I'd say.
It's no more than 6 rows deep.

pete
27/10/2005, 2:21 PM
Someone made the point that the stand would only be 5/6 rows deep. How deep does the stand go in the Cross that the camera always picks up? Not much deeper than ten rows I'd say.

Yeah about 5-6 rows deep. However that is restricted by space no funds to do an IRFU & buy houses behind. We didn't sell the land behind to fund small stand.

thejollyrodger
27/10/2005, 3:12 PM
maybe they should just sell up for good and relocate to the outskirts of Dublin a la Shels?

mchurl
27/10/2005, 3:30 PM
it must make sense for the club to do what they are doing with the stand but to be honest, could they not at least make it stretch all the way across behind the goal?

ger121
27/10/2005, 3:42 PM

It will actually be 400 but then Shels fans are never very good with numbers. So how is this stand any worse than your legoland one you built a few years ago. You'd want to think before you write in future.

dcfcsteve
27/10/2005, 4:11 PM

The point is that there are huge fixed costs involved in building a stand. Therefore - to put in say 600 seats, rather than 400, wouldn't actually cost a whole lot more. The additional seats would probably only need to be used once or twice a year (a Cup final ?) for their incremental installation costs to be recovered. Hey presto - bigger stand, better stadium, no real additional cost.

As for the idea of putting away fans in there - are Bohs proposing that their only Corporate boxes should be for away fans, or are these designed for Bohs own corporate fans ? Firstly - as ORA pointed out, to get decent money for Corporate Boxes, you'd want them to be on the sidelines. Secondly - would a handful of Bohs Corporate Fans really want to be stuck behind up-to 400 away fans for every game....? I can't see the attraction in it myself.....

Who are the Dalymount Trust, btw ? Do they own the ground, and are they entirely separate from the Club ?

Drumcondra Red
27/10/2005, 4:16 PM
Yeah about 5-6 rows deep. However that is restricted by space no funds to do an IRFU & buy houses behind. We didn't sell the land behind to fund small stand.

You don't own your own stadium either!!!

bohs til i die
27/10/2005, 4:48 PM
The Dalymount Trust are an independent fans group, set up in May of this year to raise funds for capital projects in the ground. The first inititative is to raise €20k to part finance the refurbishment of one of the clubs three bars, work which gets underway next Tuesday.

The stand at the Tramway end of the ground will [possibly] be built by the developer at no cost to Bohs, but it will have space to extend the seating capacity to about 800.

The corporate facilities will be of use in a variety of ways.

The stand itself only goes as far as it does, but thats not the issue. I am sure Corkies will be on boasting about the great crowds they get but they have got crowds of 2000-2500 for recent league games agains UCD and Drogheda.

The bottom line is it will be an added facility in Dalymount if it all happens, and will be a huge boost to Bohs. This is part of the land deal that was undertaken some years back to part fund the Jodi stand.

Carlin
27/10/2005, 4:49 PM
Who are the Dalymount Trust, btw ? Do they own the ground, and are they entirely separate from the Club ?

http://www.dalymounttrust.org/about.htm

That link should answer your questions.

Bald Student
27/10/2005, 4:53 PM
If the corporate boxes are accessed from the front does that mean there is no bar or other facilities for corporate people behind the boxes?

Philo
27/10/2005, 5:05 PM
The whole thing is a bit of a disaster if you ask me. The front area has only 4 rows of seats and the "executive boxes" will only be about 2 metres deep. The club (members) have been royally shafted by the developers and the board over this one, leaving us with a joke at one end of the ground that can never be expanded because of the proposed apartment blocks directly behind. Bohs members have been lied to for years about the property deals and ground improvements and it seems nothing has been done in the interest of the club.

I wonder if any past or present directors got tidy little windfalls for selling out to the developers?

OneRedArmy
27/10/2005, 5:34 PM
4 rows of seats and boxes 2 metres wide?

Thats not a stand, its a porch!

Oh and before the obvious comment comes back:
No, we don't currently own our ground but hopefully that will change soon and we can develop it into a decent ground the whole way round.

thejollyrodger
27/10/2005, 5:38 PM
It will actually be 400 but then Shels fans are never very good with numbers. So how is this stand any worse than your legoland one you built a few years ago. You'd want to think before you write in future.

Shelbourne F.C is one of the few progessive Eircom League clubs. We have plans for a new stadium. A proper stadium. Not the sheets of galvanise you muppets are throwing together.

kevincronin2000
27/10/2005, 5:43 PM
you could always rent or buy one of the "carlsberg" apartments behind the new stand.

OneRedArmy
27/10/2005, 6:41 PM
you could always rent or buy one of the "carlsberg" apartments behind the new stand.
Given their location, is "Dutch Gold Apartments" not a better description?

Buller
27/10/2005, 6:59 PM
The whole thing is a bit of a disaster if you ask me. The front area has only 4 rows of seats and the "executive boxes" will only be about 2 metres deep. The club (members) have been royally shafted by the developers and the board over this one, leaving us with a joke at one end of the ground that can never be expanded because of the proposed apartment blocks directly behind. Bohs members have been lied to for years about the property deals and ground improvements and it seems nothing has been done in the interest of the club.
Couldn't have said it better myself, 100% in agreement...

Dodge
27/10/2005, 7:09 PM
Shelbourne F.C is one of the few progessive Eircom League clubs. We have plans for a new stadium. A proper stadium. Not the sheets of galvanise you muppets are throwing together.
Every club has plans. Getting them done is the hard bit. And Shels are not progressive. No long term planning at all.

BohsFans
27/10/2005, 7:29 PM
Why are people slagging Bohs??

1. Your living in dreamland if you think any club has the money to fork out on a new full length stand! (apart from Athlone)

2. Since the Jodi Stand has been built (about 7 yrs ago) no other club has matched it with a similar size or capacity of stand, and yet we are getting another stand built! (eh except Sligo)

3. Since the Jodi, these stands have been built; Drumcondra in Tolka, behind the goal in Kilkenny, main stand in Flancare, main stand in Showgrounds. While we push on with another project.

Live within your means!!

Whatever happened to Pat's new stand? oh dear things have really gone bad for them on and off the field this season!

Buller
27/10/2005, 7:40 PM
Why are people slagging Bohs??
We're not slagging bohs, god forbid, we're just saying that they should try to get a better deal then that!!!