PDA

View Full Version : O'Neill not interest in being next Ireland Manager

Pages : [1] 2

colster
26/10/2005, 11:05 AM
According to the BBC Martin O'Neill has said he is not interested in being the next ireland manager.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/4378108.stm

Who would you have instead?

wws
26/10/2005, 11:08 AM
Brian Kerr

and Delaney walk now before your pushed!

shakermaker1982
26/10/2005, 11:11 AM
feck but it's only rumour. Burley would be my choice now

sligoman
26/10/2005, 11:14 AM
Martin O'Neill is not interested in becoming the new coach of the Republic of Ireland, the BBC understands.The BBC undesrtands:rolleyes:. Until I actually see Martin O'Neill been interviewed and saying that he doesn't want the job then I'm not gonna believe it. They didn't even give any quotes ffs.

shakermaker1982
26/10/2005, 11:29 AM
bad news fellas's the RTE website has a quote from MON at a game launch. The FAI have not approached him and his situation has not changed = does not know when he will return. Please not Bryan Robson........

Dublin12
I can't see any "big name" taking the position and that includes Burley,we're gonna end up with some mickey mouse combo like Quinn/Reid,Staunton/Dalglish,Graham/Brady,imo John Aldridge should be in with a good shout.

kingp35
Yeah I notice there was not a single quote in that article. This is obviously just rumour and O' Neill cant be ruled out until he himself actually comes out and says he doesnt want the job.

I would personally go for George Burley now that he is a free agent if O' Neill turns the job down. He is the best out there that is currently available

Irish_Praha
It says "Martin O'Neill is not interested in becoming the new COACH of the Republic of Ireland, the BBC understands."

Maybe he will be interested in being our next MANAGER :D

shakermaker1982
26/10/2005, 11:31 AM
RTE article

Martin O'Neill has ruled himself out of the running for the vacant managerial position with the Republic of Ireland.

O'Neill had been one of the candidates touted to replace Brian Kerr, whose contract was controversially not renewed following the failure to secure qualification for the 2006 World Cup.

At a press conference in Dublin to launch a new gaming club, O'Neill insisted he had not been approached by the Football Association of Ireland.

The former Celtic boss was adamant he would not be taking any footballing job in the foreseeable future.

He said: "I left Celtic way back from months ago, obviously for personal reasons, and for a sabbatical out of football for a while. Now these circumstances haven't changed one jot and at the moment I can't see them changing in the foreseeable future."

O'Neill is currently looking after his wife who is believed to be suffering from a serious illness.

Asked if he would still be interested in the job if the FAI delayed the appointment until next May, O'Neill insisted he currently had no timescale for a return to football.

"I genuinely don't know that and that will remain so for some time", he said.

O'Neill claimed Kerr should have retained his job although he acknowledged it had been disappointing for Ireland to miss out on qualification for Germany.

Clifford
26/10/2005, 11:51 AM
~O Neill wouldn't touch us with a barge pole, no matter what the set up. He's waiting til surly alex fecks off from OT before he'll return to footie.

Stuttgart88
26/10/2005, 12:04 PM
Is O'Neill's quote really irreconcilable with the quotes from his brother that eirebhoy posted recently? Just wondering.

mchurl
26/10/2005, 12:09 PM
~O Neill wouldn't touch us with a barge pole, no matter what the set up. He's waiting til surly alex fecks off from OT before he'll return to footie.

I agree as i think o'neill is biding his time for alex to finish up.
Also for the kind of money the fai are offering i don't think we can expecta big name manager. We will mre than likely end up with someone like john aldridge who i respect but in all fairess what has he achieved as a manager?

finlma
26/10/2005, 12:09 PM
He's not going to take the job - its fair enough, the man's wife is very sick and that takes top priority.

Has to be George Burley for me.

Tired&Emotional
26/10/2005, 12:14 PM
Thought it was interesting he said (according to RTE) that the felt BK should have been kept in the job! Maybe he realises what a muppet show the FAI is...?

joeSoap
26/10/2005, 12:15 PM
The BBC undesrtands:rolleyes:. Until I actually see Martin O'Neill been interviewed and saying that he doesn't want the job then I'm not gonna believe it. They didn't even give any quotes ffs.

ammmmmm

The former Northern Ireland international added that he had not been approached by the FAI.

"I don't know how my name came into the betting," he said.

Sounds like a quote to me...

pineapple stu
26/10/2005, 12:17 PM
Is Troussier the only one so far to have shown any interest?

Donal81
26/10/2005, 12:18 PM
O'Neill was never going to take the job. I work with someone who was at the press conference - he explained why he wasn't interested. Some clown then piped up and asked would he be interested if his circumstances had changed by May. In short, if your wife isn't around by May or has somehow made a miraculous recovery from this cancer, any chance you'd take it then?

Leave him alone, he's out of football indefinitely.

Tired&Emotional
26/10/2005, 12:19 PM
Well said...Donal81

Dublin12
26/10/2005, 12:33 PM
Is Troussier the only one so far to have shown any interest?

I heard the Israel manager is interested,even though he's under contract for another year but would jump at the chance,to me that sounds like he wants a shot in the premiership and this could be the chance he's after.:confused:

shakermaker1982
26/10/2005, 12:34 PM
that was a bit tasteless.

Dublin12
26/10/2005, 12:35 PM
that was a bit tasteless.

pardon:confused:

gspain
26/10/2005, 12:38 PM
Shame - got to understand MoN's personal reasons but I was really hopeful here.

Burley would be my choice now.

It is important that we get somebody who has been successful and has a proven track record. I don't think Bryan Robson would take it anyway. I thought he would have been a terrible choice 3 years ago but in fairness he has done well at West Brom eventually.

as_i_say
26/10/2005, 12:45 PM
those skips crisps are a bit tastless too.

sligoman
26/10/2005, 12:48 PM
ammmmmm
Sounds like a quote to me...ammmmmm, that wasn't there earlier, obviously it's been updated

gufct
26/10/2005, 1:07 PM
Looks like the Professional approach by the FAI didnt work.I could excuse them for shafting Kerr if they had a better replacement but it looks like were going to end up with a yes man for Johnny D.

While im at it anyone read the vomit inducing brown nosing article in last sundays indo by dion fanning how the rest of the journos there work with such a waster i dont know.

wws
26/10/2005, 1:11 PM
Looks like the Professional approach by the FAI didnt work.I could excuse them for shafting Kerr if they had a better replacement but it looks like were going to end up with a yes man for Johnny D.

While im at it anyone read the vomit inducing brown nosing article in last sundays indo by dion fanning how the rest of the journos there work with such a waster i dont know.

father and son have a thing for reliable "sources"

:D

delighted the FAI are fcking up - they stabbed a good man in the back and now they're gonna taste soem of their own medicine

Dotsy
26/10/2005, 1:21 PM

He is in good company so. All the journos (and I use that term lightly) at the Sindo are a bunch of wasters.

thejollyrodger
26/10/2005, 2:09 PM
well its understanable that he doesnt want the job in light of his wife illness.

Next on my list would be that Hidink fella. I dont know much about him but his results speaks wonders.

Roverstillidie
26/10/2005, 2:20 PM
well its understanable that he doesnt want the job in light of his wife illness.

Next on my list would be that Hidink fella. I dont know much about him but his results speaks wonders.

why on earth would gus hiddink take the irish job? we pay €400k ffs!!

seriously, people need to get real here.

Zidane
26/10/2005, 2:27 PM
Just read that Grant has resigned as Israel manager. Hope he is not coming to us.

Tired&Emotional
26/10/2005, 2:29 PM
Jaysus...this Intl management stuff has just gone nuts....hope he stay's away as well!

Irish_Praha
26/10/2005, 2:36 PM
Just read that Grant has resigned as Israel manager. Hope he is not coming to us.

Interesting. IMO he did a better job than Kerr with a very limited squad.

WeAreRovers
26/10/2005, 2:37 PM

You have the laugh at some of the blind optimism on here. O'Neill, Troussier, Robson, Burley, Hiddink etc Not a hope in hell.

For instance what's with the arrogance of people who don't think Bryan Robson is good enough? Newsflash! He has a job in the Premiership, why on earth would he or any other of the preferred candidates take a crap part time job?

Delaney and his leprachaun army will be left with Aldridge or Whelan and personally I'll be laughing long and loud as the Faroe Islands overtake us in the rankings and the FAI are stuck with a €100m bill for a stadium that the olé olérs won't fill 'cos Ireland are crap. Bring it on. :D

KOH

thejollyrodger
26/10/2005, 2:43 PM
Raneire was linked with the irish job a few days back, what happened to him ?? The tinker man could do a job for us.

The FAIlure has to pay top money to get a top manager.

Dublin12
26/10/2005, 3:02 PM
I heard the Israel manager is interested,even though he's under contract for another year but would jump at the chance,to me that sounds like he wants a shot in the premiership and this could be the chance he's after.:confused:
I see he's just resigned and has thrown his hat in the ring for the Ireland job.

I like talking to myself by the way:D

eirebhoy
26/10/2005, 3:17 PM

We've no chance of getting Hiddink but I've no doubt the FAI would pay at least double Kerr's wages to get their man. Kerr was the cheap option last time out.

Ranieri is a poor manager.

gspain
26/10/2005, 3:29 PM
You have the laugh at some of the blind optimism on here. O'Neill, Troussier, Robson, Burley, Hiddink etc Not a hope in hell.

For instance what's with the arrogance of people who don't think Bryan Robson is good enough? Newsflash! He has a job in the Premiership, why on earth would he or any other of the preferred candidates take a crap part time job?

Delaney and his leprachaun army will be left with Aldridge or Whelan and personally I'll be laughing long and loud as the Faroe Islands overtake us in the rankings and the FAI are stuck with a €100m bill for a stadium that the olé olérs won't fill 'cos Ireland are crap. Bring it on. :D

KOH

Could be worse than that they could give it to Roddy. :D :D

4tothefloor
26/10/2005, 3:40 PM
Haven't we been reading everywhere that the FAI are prepared to pay up to €750k per year to the new manager? In all fairness lads, John Delaney is not that stupid, even though I despise him. For an experienced manager you'd expect them to offer that kind of money - to the likes of O'Neill, Hiddink etc. For someone like Aldridge, Staunton, Keane - all of which are relatively inexperienced, €400k is all I'd pay them anyway. That's all that Kerr was worth because he had no experience managing at the top level. We took the cheap option last time and we got the results to match it. It's there in black and white.

You also have to bear in mind that this is essentially a part time job, so the likes of Gus Hiddink is a real possibility, if the FAI are comfortable with him double-jobbing that is.

wws
26/10/2005, 3:54 PM
would somebody please clear something up......is Hiddink the PSV manager and australia manager at the minute???

if so - fuhgeddabout it

maybe delaney will try his hand at management - he seems to have all the answers hehheheh hehhehh MUHAW HA HAH HAA HAAAA!

WeAreRovers
26/10/2005, 4:01 PM
Could be worse than that they could give it to Roddy. :D :D

That's my dream appointment. Roddy and the FAI - a match made in footballing heaven.

KOH

Cowboy
26/10/2005, 4:01 PM
if so - fuhgeddabout it

!

why forget about it? Hiddink does not have a formal contract with the socceroos AFAIK

wallis
26/10/2005, 4:46 PM
Doesnt matter , if the Aussies win the play off in a couple of weeks Hiddink will take them to the World Cup

If they fail , then we might be able to take him but personally I dont see the point of having someone in charge who lives and works in the Netherlands

jbyrne
26/10/2005, 5:00 PM
Doesnt matter , if the Aussies win the play off in a couple of weeks Hiddink will take them to the World Cup

If they fail , then we might be able to take him but personally I dont see the point of having someone in charge who lives and works in the Netherlands

agree, the Irish job is not part time as some here would have you believe. we need someone who can put a lot of time and effort into finding fresh talent for the squad among many other things

kerr should have been kept on. we will now end up with a second rate failed eng premier lge / championship manager. all the big names are slowly but surely being ruled out. the knee-jerk reaction of getting rid of kerr will eventually be shown to be a big mistake

eirebhoy
26/10/2005, 5:20 PM
I was fully behind Kerr up til the last 2 matches but was 50/50 about letting him go as long as someone that the FAI felt were better was brought in. The main reason for this is I couldn't stand any more of the anti-Kerr crap in the media and was fed up with them putting a negative spin on everything. With every day that goes past I just feel more strongly that the FAI have completely fecked it up and Kerr should have been given another chance.

mountie
26/10/2005, 5:37 PM
Eoin Hand........oh God Noooooooo!!!!!!

gspain
26/10/2005, 5:42 PM

I'd be very surprised if they beat Uruguay but you never know.

What I like about Hiddink is that he has a proven track record of success with PSV and Korea among others. If we could get the refs he had with Korea too we'd win Euro2008.

Cosmo
26/10/2005, 6:30 PM
I was fully behind Kerr up til the last 2 matches but was 50/50 about letting him go as long as someone that the FAI felt were better was brought in. The main reason for this is I couldn't stand any more of the anti-Kerr crap in the media and was fed up with them putting a negative spin on everything. With every day that goes past I just feel more strongly that the FAI have completely fecked it up and Kerr should have been given another chance.

Spot on - im getting worried were going to see some useless w@nker in charge (but still a big name :rolleyes: )

Cowboy
26/10/2005, 6:32 PM

Firstly there is no rush to appoint a manager and secondly whats the problem with the netherlands, we had a manager who lived and worked in the UK before and I heard no complaints about that. Do you seriously think we are going to get a high calibre manager who wants to move here?

tricky_colour
26/10/2005, 6:49 PM
He (MON) is still 14-1 at Paddy Power!!
I am surprised there is no "any other" option, they will make a fortune if
someone not listed gets the job.
I bet Brady wnds up getting it.

TonyD
26/10/2005, 8:50 PM
Delighted MO'N isn't interested. He's far too good, with too much integrity for the FAI. They won't even get Troussier now, he's been appointed manager of Morrocco. Bet we end up with Aldridge, and I hope it's a disaster. My ideal choice would be Keane though, to see him fook it up and watch Dunphy try to explain that. Hate the FAI and I don't think I could ever support THEIR team again. (Maybe if Delaney was gone and they start to show some interest in our league)They deserve all they get.

By the way, hilarious stuff from Tony Cascarino in the Hot Press This week. After getting stuck into Kerr he then gives his views on the new manager. According to Cas the new man should be "somebody who has first hand knowledge of Irish football from the Eircom league up" - Um you mean, someone like, say, Brian Kerr, Tony ?. He then states his preferred candidate to be Martin O'Neill, who, despite his undoubted qualities, certainly doesn't have first hand knowledge of the game here. Tony then comes up with this little gem "I think there's talent at clubs like Cork City and Shelbourne that could be developed by the right manager" Really Tony, how the hell do you know that ? Anyone seen him at Turners Cross or Tolka lately? Mind you, I am impressed that he can name two clubs from the league here :p