PDA

View Full Version : Liam Miller

Pages : [1] 2

eirebhoy
23/10/2005, 8:42 PM
Make or break time for him in the Carling Cup. Ferguson:

"I think we'll play a few youngsters on Wednesday night. I think Pique, Rossi, Lee Martin, Ebanks-Blake will be there. Adam Eckersley, I think, will play left-back. Liam Miller will certainly play. I'll put two or three of the experienced players on the bench, just to give us a bit of safeguard. Youth is what this club's been built on, I want to see them in the situations where there's a good crowd. It's a cup game so Barnet will come here and fight for everything and apparently they're bringing a good support with them."

He needs to go out aggressively like he was when he played for Celtic. Without the aggression he's nothing.

dr_peepee
23/10/2005, 8:47 PM
He's made the bench a bit lately, which wasn't even the case for a while so judging by Fergusons tone he may have impressed a bit. The story doing the rounds is that he's been putting accross a great account of himslef behind the scenes in training etc, but that he keeps bottling it when given the oppertunity in the first team. This cup run may well be his last chance at a regular spot.

TheBoss
24/10/2005, 10:51 AM
He was awesome at Celtic, so he does have the ability, but he has to take his chance even if it is against a League 2 side.

BaZmO*
24/10/2005, 1:23 PM
It really is the last chance saloon for Miller. He's gotta make the break through in these games now or it's bye-bye in January I'd imagine.

B.

colster
24/10/2005, 1:31 PM
IMO he should leave United in January regardless even if it is for a Championship side. He really needs to be playing every week. Thats not going to happen at United.

as_i_say
24/10/2005, 1:43 PM
bench warmimng legend.
a true winston bogard, fair play to him.

gustavo
24/10/2005, 2:01 PM
unfair to compare him to bogarde , he was happy to play for chelsea reserves and pick up his 40 grand a week , refused to have his contract anulled

Stuttgart88
24/10/2005, 3:00 PM
IMO he should leave United in January regardless even if it is for a Championship side. He really needs to be playing every week. Thats not going to happen at United.

It's funny but he's the same type of player, yet better, than Stephen Ireland who everyone's raving about. OK, he's quite a bit older. But Stephen Ireland's "success" shows that Miller could do a decent job at a decent side if he only had the cop on to see it.

del fuego
26/10/2005, 7:10 PM
Miller after 4 mins for united against barnet. not watching game so it could have rebounded off his ar@e for all i know. still it will give him more confidence.

Superhoops
26/10/2005, 7:29 PM
Miller after 4 mins for united against barnet. not watching game so it could have rebounded off his ar@e for all i know. still it will give him more confidence.
Scored from a free after the Barnet GK was sent off after handling 6 inches outside the box.

Fergie's Son
26/10/2005, 7:33 PM
Anyone know how's he playing? I know it's only Barnet but he needs every little bit he can get.

eirebhoy
26/10/2005, 7:52 PM
Apparantly playing very well which won't do his confidence any harm in front of 50,000. He'll get his chance in a league game if he does well tonight no doubt.

Irish_Praha
26/10/2005, 7:54 PM
I'm just following it (and the other games) via text updates on sportinglife so it's difficult to say. They only report incidents like free kicks, crosses trow-ins, shots.. etc. So he could be making lots of decent or crap passes without it being reported. The goal was a free kick from 18 yards out from the left channel into the top right hand corner. He's had at least another decent shot on target from play and has put a few crosses into the box.

CollegeTillIDie
26/10/2005, 7:57 PM
www.livescore.com for all those of you who have no other way of keeping up to date. It is comprehensive and covers Leagues and Cups all over the globe

eirebhoy
26/10/2005, 8:02 PM
www.manutd.com

www.bugmenot.com

eirebhoy
26/10/2005, 8:56 PM
Miller set up the last goal with a chip.

Highlights on ITV/UTV at 11.00.

tetsujin1979
26/10/2005, 10:44 PM
Gibson came on with about 15 minutes to go, but none of the reports I've seen say anything about how he played

as_i_say
27/10/2005, 7:32 AM
link of footage of highlights of our bench warming uber-legend?

eirebhoy
27/10/2005, 8:32 AM
Goals:
http://s62.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=08A82EF7C4O2O2V59L37UAZTL6

as_i_say
27/10/2005, 9:26 AM
dam cant open it at work but thanks anyways

elroy
27/10/2005, 10:05 AM
Good free kick, one thing united dont have at the moment is a decent free taker.
Ive heard he's playing very well in the reserves, with a bit of luck he may get another shot at first team football.

joeSoap
27/10/2005, 11:21 AM
Took his goal well, but you'd have to say that sending off the goalie for something silly like that is plain ludicrous. As the midfielder who went in goals nearly got to it, you'd have to say that a proper keeper would have saved it. Still....a goals a goal.

nismo
27/10/2005, 3:03 PM
very harsh

thejollyrodger
27/10/2005, 3:14 PM
well done liam.. pity he cant do the same business in the first XI

gaf1983
27/10/2005, 4:12 PM
As the midfielder who went in goals nearly got to it,

didnt a goalie come off the bench by the name of Scott Tynan:

http://www.barnet-mad.co.uk/news/loadfeat.asp?cid=ED32&id=230776

what makes you think he's a midfielder ?

Superhoops
27/10/2005, 4:26 PM
didnt a goalie come off the bench by the name of Scott Tynan:

http://www.barnet-mad.co.uk/news/loadfeat.asp?cid=ED32&id=230776

what makes you think he's a midfielder ?
Probably cause they took a midfielder off to allow replacement GK on. Dont know anything about Scott Tynan but he looked dreadfully small for a GK.

dr_peepee
30/10/2005, 5:55 PM
Liam Miller wasn't even on the bench against boro...

Hopefully their dismal form will see him get a chance.

Superhoops
30/10/2005, 11:50 PM
Liam Miller wasn't even on the bench against boro...

Hopefully their dismal form will see him get a chance.
Cant see how Miller will improve them!

Qwerty
31/10/2005, 2:38 AM
He needs to move to rescue his career, he poor career choice is mentioned in the Guardian http://football.guardian.co.uk/Columnists/Column/0,4284,1604515,00.html - his is a cautionary tale to any other young kid, like Garvan for instance.

tricky_colour
31/10/2005, 3:21 PM
Yea, if they are not careful they will end up on £15,000 a week too ;)

tetsujin1979
01/11/2005, 12:09 AM
I thought he was on closer to 30,000?? 15,000 was supposed to be the figure Celtic offered him?

Qwerty
01/11/2005, 12:16 AM
Fair point, I think it's time they brought in a salary cap and had contracts based on pay-per-play, the smaller clubs should have the votes to get this through. It's ridiculous having millionaire reserves, Ferdinand is a disgrace. I just don't understand the economics of football...football is dying or the Premiership at least.

Superhoops
03/11/2005, 7:14 AM
He needs to move to rescue his career...
Leeds appear to be interested in signing him, according to reports this morning

Dotsy
03/11/2005, 8:12 AM

I think a move to the Championship would benefit him and Leeds are a good footballing side.

Peadar
03/11/2005, 8:59 AM

They're lining up a loan deal, according to Sky Sports. (http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=322161&CPID=8&clid=&lid=2&title=Miller+set+for+Leeds+switch?)

eirebhoy
03/11/2005, 10:34 AM
This story has come from the Daily record so I'd take it with a pinch of salt for now. :)

livehead1
03/11/2005, 10:39 AM
its in another paper as well, and it would make sense

Clifford
03/11/2005, 11:37 AM
Fair point, I think it's time they brought in a salary cap and had contracts based on pay-per-play, the smaller clubs should have the votes to get this through. It's ridiculous having millionaire reserves, Ferdinand is a disgrace. I just don't understand the economics of football...football is dying or the Premiership at least.

Yeah right, what if a rival company came to you and offered you 10/11 times your current wage and much better working conditions, just as your about to snap their hand off a big Govt official shows up and says no chance matey, same wage for all? I'm sure you'd find it fair.

If yanited want to pay Miller 30,000 grand or Rio 120,000 a week it's not the lads' fault, it's up to the club to get the best out of the players and if they are not good enough questions should be asked as to why they were bought in the first place.

Stuttgart88
03/11/2005, 11:40 AM
No but holding out for 110k a week when you're already on 90k is vulgar in the extreme. No wonder public opinion turned against footballers so vehemently during the summer when Englan's cricketers on a fraction of the wages of their footballing equivalents played with their herats against the Aussies.

Clifford
03/11/2005, 11:43 AM
No but holding out for 110k a week when you're already on 90k is vulgar in the extreme. No wonder public opinion turned against footballers so vehemently during the summer when Englan's cricketers on a fraction of the wages of their footballing equivalents played with their herats against the Aussies.

The club still paid it, not like anyone on here never did what was best for themselves in similar circumstances. I hate the guy, but who ever agreed to pay him more than 50,000 a week in the first place should be looked at, eh Alex?

Don't be fooled that if the going rate for a cricketer was 60,000k a week that Fat Freddie or Pietersen wouldn't go to the highest bidder either, same in rugger O Driscoll will walk across the sea to get to France for the real wages, if he's wanted. Reality.

as_i_say
03/11/2005, 12:08 PM
ya gotta look out for number one!

still im upset at the thought of our bench warming hero going to a club that will actually play him .what am i going to do with all my liam miller bench posters. has another irishman ever done more for the bench-warming cause than our liam. i think not.

theres always ebay. bad leeds bad.

eirebhoy
03/11/2005, 5:44 PM
He got a month loan at Leeds with the option of permanent move.

thejollyrodger
03/11/2005, 5:49 PM
we'll soon find out if he can play for leeds. If he can then he is simply not good enough for the EPL or Man Utd isnt for him.

Good move by him though. He was rotting away at the Man Utd reserves

Colbert Report
04/11/2005, 3:22 AM
Is there anything stopping him from going back to Celtic? This guy will be our midfield general in the run up to the next World Cup you know. Not because he's any good, but because there's nobody else, nobody that I can see anyway.

Plastic Paddy
04/11/2005, 7:50 AM
Is there anything stopping him from going back to Celtic?

Oooh, nothing except i) he's not good enough to make the Celtic starting XI, ii) the fans would want his head on a stick for walking out on the club previously, iii) WGS likes players who can actually play a bit of football, and iv) there's already been a clear-out of the dross at CP. Why replace shîte with more shîte?

This guy will be our midfield general in the run up to the next World Cup you know. Not because he's any good, but because there's nobody else, nobody that I can see anyway.

That's it. I'm away to find some voddy and aspirins... :eek:

:ball: PP

kingp35
04/11/2005, 11:58 AM
Lads why are you so certain that he will get his game at Leeds? I am a Leeds fan and I know he was only brought in as we are very light in midfield and dont have any cover. he may get a couple of games but he wont play them all. He was brought in on a months loan simply to fill the gap until the transfer window when Kevin Blackwell can sign a midfield player on a permanent deal. Yes that may be Liam Miller but he wuld want to impress an awful lot in that month because for me is still an unproven player. He had a good honeymoon period with celtic but has gone downhill since.

I guess only time will tell but I wouldnt be getting too optimistic of him securing a permanent deal

drinkfeckarse
04/11/2005, 12:22 PM
While I know he had to get away to get some football and hopefully his confidence back, I think this is a risky move because if he doesn't do well at Leeds then his career is totally fcuked.

sadloserkid
04/11/2005, 12:40 PM
Liam Miller is a very ordinary player in my book. He shows flashes of skill but overall... this is a guy who was on the edge of the Celtic team at what? 22 or so? He's 24 years old, he's unlikely to get much better. I hope I'm proved wrong but I think that the Championship is about his level to be honest.

eirebhoy
04/11/2005, 2:06 PM
He has just as much ability as say, Roy Keane. If he had a quarter of the aggression Roy has he'd be a very good player. The aggression and determination he showed in the first few months of 03/04 haven't been seen since.

Stuttgart88
05/11/2005, 11:54 AM
He has just as much ability as say, Roy Keane. If he had a quarter of the aggression Roy has he'd be a very good player. The aggression and determination he showed in the first few months of 03/04 haven't been seen since.

I reckon he's at least as good at this time, if not quite a bit better, than Stephen Ireland who admittedly is 5 yrs younger. The two are comparable as they play similar roles and are similar in build (or lack of it!). But Ireland is under relatively little pressure & has a manager and team mates who have every faith in him. Hence he's flourishing.

Miller's problems are confidence related, not ability related in my view. I think the lack of aggression could be confidence related too.