PDA

View Full Version : Limerick - Cobh Ramblers, Ironic chants & all

Pages : [1] 2

sadloserkid
23/09/2005, 9:13 PM
I might as well start by saying that the result was a fair one. We came close early on with one great free kick but overall Cobh were well worth their victory.

Their first goal was well taken but a free header at the back post with nobody to be seen means it was our own fault.

In the second half there was more messing about the back and a brilliant drive from a Cobh player made it 2-0. No complaints. They played calmly and put the ball on the deck and passed it around. We didn't.

As ever we looked pretty guileless throughout switching between long hoofed balls and attempts to chip the ball into space over the top. Neither tactic yielded much in the way of dividends. We had no width and more worryingly very little in the way of passion either. The team seemed nervous and edgy and there was no fluidity or cohesion to their play.

It was a pity because it started promisingly enough, the crowd, while nowhere near 2000, wasn't bad and after a slow enough start as well, they made a bit of noise.

Robbie Kelleher alone came out of the game with any degree of praise due to him. Overall the rest of them weren't particularly poor individually but as a team we were lacking and Cobh punished us.

Obviously the Dublin City result this weekend will have a big bearing but promotion looks a long shot now for this season. Hopefully there'll be a few more twists in the tale but I think that we'll look back at tonight as the game when the dream died. :(

Team was:

Mooney

Wolfe Buckley Finucane Tobin

Keating Barrett McGrath Molan

Nolan Kellher

Chris Jones replaced Conor Molan and Shane Guerin replaced Jamie Nolan.

gael353
23/09/2005, 10:58 PM
We had no width at all. Keating playing out of position, McGrath playing out of position, Barrett playing out of position, Molen playing out of position. No shape, no orginisation, two weeks time no fans, everything was all down the middle and it wasnt working so what happends NOC brings on two central strikers including a target man (who the ****k was going to cross it to him?) The Cobh subs were laughing they thought Wolfe had his best game yet...for them! :mad: The team played so bad they were ashamed to come near the fans after. The season is VERY MUCH OVER! Lets start cutting the dross now and start at the top :rolleyes:

sadloserkid
24/09/2005, 4:21 PM
where he had been trying his level best for nearly an hour.

:eek:

Not sure what game were you watching to be honest man.

Supporters get frustrated too sometimes when a player's commitment looks questionable.

gael353
24/09/2005, 4:43 PM
While i totally agree with you on most i feel if we are to focus on this negitive vibe from last night it might detract from the real issue here, THE NONE EVENT ON THE FIELD! Long ball bootball is a thing of the past and if this is the sign of things to come for the next 5 years then im not going to hang around.
Our record of boring long ball football in front of our own fans is shocking!
Played 14 Won 5 Drew 4 Lost 5 Gf 16 :eek: GA 15 :o

In the next two weeks we play the bottom sides and this may lead to some more false dawns again if we pick up maximum points. If we dont beat these bottom two sides, :mad: if we dont beat athlone (the bottom side) in two weeks time then role on third last and possible 6th home loss in our last 9.
Fortress Rathbane? :confused:

fc hammer
25/09/2005, 8:01 AM
The ironic clapping and cheering that went one when a player wearing the blue shirt of Limerick was substituted versus Cobh Ramblers at Hogan Park last night left a bad taste in the mouth that will linger long after the result is forgotten. I can only imagine that the player concerned,who has been the subject of numerous negative comments on this website, was absolutely gutted by the reaction as he was making his way from the field of play
where he had been trying his level best for nearly an hour.Last evenings humiliation of a player in front of over 700 fans, his teamates and opposition is an affront to the inherent sense of deceny and sporting philosophy at this club, an ethos which has prevailed through thick and then since 1937. In short last night was a low point in the clubs sixty eight year history. The ironic cheenting and clapping at the substitution is also an affront to the sporting ethos of Limerick City and County in all sports

fair play samuel,

You dont humiliate players like that.No dought this was comming from a section of the sunshine sopport behind the goals.As the season draws to a close i wonder will these so called fans be back to hogan park again for the rest of the season (or do they just sing when we'r wining) i dont think so.limerick fc dont need A** H**** like these so called fans to support them.maybe these are the scum bags danny drew was talking about..

gael353
25/09/2005, 6:55 PM
fair play samuel,

You dont humiliate players like that.No dought this was comming from a section of the sunshine sopport behind the goals.As the season draws to a close i wonder will these so called fans be back to hogan park again for the rest of the season (or do they just sing when we'r wining) i dont think so.limerick fc dont need A** H**** like these so called fans to support them.maybe these are the scum bags danny drew was talking about..

As i said above "While i totally agree with you on most i feel if we are to focus on this negitive vibe from last night it might detract from the real issue here, THE NONE EVENT ON THE FIELD!" 1987 i think was my last season in which i missed more then two games and 2000 when i missed more then 3 away games, so again i mustnot be one of those ppl your taking about.

sadloserkid
25/09/2005, 6:58 PM
fair play samuel,

Well I'll be honest enough to admit that I joined in. I shouldn't have done but it happened in the heat of the moment. That said, I don't think it would have happened to any other player because said player's lack of commitment and interest hadn't gone unnoticed all season. That doesn't justify it and I'm not attempting to, it was poor form on behalf of myself and the others involved. I'm not going to be drawn on the issue somebody raised today as to whether it's any worse than turning up but making a token effort and collecting a wage week in week out.

I haven't missed a home game all season (and I've only missed four overall) so I don't think that I personally fall into the fairweather fan category. In fact I'm just back from the 21s game in Cork, I must have missed you there fc hammer! ;) I'm not planning on missing any games between now and the season's end either (except for Monaghan this Friday, work alas...) Also I think it's only fair to note that most of the people involved are about the only ones who start any noise good, bad or indifferent in Hogan Park these days.

Overall... it shouldn't have happened and I've no problem in holding up my hand and saying 'yeah, bad slk, that was stupid of you.' That said I do think there's an element of some people trying to use the incident to divert from what happened on the pitch Friday night. It was uncalled for and borne out of sheer frustration. I can't imagine it will happen again and already myself and another lad are planning to make up a 'Jamie We're Sorry' banner for the Athlone game. I suppose a lot of similarities can be drawn between the whole incident and the Thomas McGauley departure which, if Samuel will permit me to disagree with him, was the real low point of the season given the personalities involved.

Westside
25/09/2005, 7:15 PM
:eek:

Not sure what game were you watching to be honest man.

Supporters get frustrated too sometimes when a player's commitment looks questionable.No need for that kind of abuse though SLK shaking keys and all that, I too don't agree with Nolans selection but its not his fault the GIT keeps starting him. Having a pop a the wrong man me thinks

sadloserkid
25/09/2005, 7:24 PM
No need for that kind of abuse though SLK shaking keys and all that, I too don't agree with Nolans selection but its not his fault the GIT keeps starting him. Having a pop a the wrong man me thinks

The shaking keys had nothing to do with Nolan actually.

Conor H
25/09/2005, 7:39 PM
What was the attendance?

sadloserkid
25/09/2005, 7:47 PM
What was the attendance?

8/900 I'd say. I've heard everything from 700 to 1500 but I'd say it was in around that.

4tothefloor
25/09/2005, 8:20 PM
God dammit, the one home game that I miss in ages and something happens! So the crowd clapped ironically when Nolan was taken off (yet again) - why am I not surprised? :rolleyes: Nolan has been outstanding all season - outstandingly useless that is. I have no sympathy for him because the bottom line is if he was performing and putting real effort in, he wouldn't be the butt of ironic cheers. Simple as that. So instead of feeling sorry for himself, maybe he'll finally realise that he is not doing enough on the pitch?

The Stars
25/09/2005, 9:25 PM
Lads I dont know the player in Question but if a player isnt pulling there weight they deserve what they get in terms of abuse.Only thing to do is to show him the door.Derek O Brien who played for us under the managarial genuis of Don O'Riordon got abused every week and he deserved it.He made no contribution after his debut and was more than happy to come in and collect his wages every week.
BTW 4tothefloor,Its time to change your quote.No one cares how many European titles ENGLISH teams won and Limerick arent coming to a Premier ground soon.

rammie
25/09/2005, 9:56 PM
Enough about the team performance, what about the supporters? I was at the Ramblers game (1-1 draw) earlier in the season and I thought ye were very vocal that night. Ye didn't really get behind your team the other night..
so lads take the plank out of yer eyes!

declan hide
26/09/2005, 7:40 AM
it all came to a head the other night and i just couldnt take it anymore. in a moment of silence among the group surrounding me i roared at NOC to sort out a left winger (this was when he went 3 in the middle up front and 3 in the middle of midfield). NOC looked at me as to say "what can i do?".

the group i was standing in also had an incident with jamie nolan. we were saying things like "cmon jamie get stuck in" , "dont be afraid of it" etc, when nolan turned around and said something at us. none of us heard what he said.
but that sums him up.

however i felt disgusted when i heard what was going on as he was substituted. if you did that to nolan the other night we may have done it to the whole team (bar robbie). of course you shouldnt have done it at all.

mooney. usual 2 great saves. bit usual flapping at crosses also.
i wouldnt play wolfe. plain and simple. when o'mahony is fit he has to come in there. wolfe doesnt cross the half way line.
chukka and finny were grand...lost their played for the first goal though.
tobin. poor. caught out all night.
barrett. chasing shadows. getting no help from mcgrath.
mcgrath. too light for central midfield. dives in to much also.
keating. out of position. put him in the centre with barrett.
molan. a non starter. for NOC to even consider him for left wing was beyong belief.
nolan. usually shugs of the shoulders and half arsed attempts. had a great chance in the first half when put through but couldnt* hold his marker off.
* didnt want to perhaps?
robbie. ran all day. NOC needs to tell him to push up. no good robbie picking the ball up in his own half and having to beat 5 players.

subs. no impact from either.

at least there was no chris kearins.

95fm interview the next morning and leonard burke barely asked NOC a question about the match. instead he asked him about the fai cup and the under 21s.

backodanet
26/09/2005, 7:59 AM
I thought the abuse the player got was a disgrace i wouldn't think calling him a pr**k is going to make him try harder or increase his confidence

on the game I thought limerick were the away team, far too defensive minded both "wingers" were back on top of the full backs all night, everyone back for throw ins crazy so when the back 4 or 2 midfielders got the ball there was no one to give it to only into space for nolan and kelliher - wouldn't agree that they hoofed the ball only the keeper who persisted in kicking it as long and as straight as he could,
if he halved the distance and hit the wings the back four would not have been under so much pressure
when they went 2 down molan and keating pushed on and limerick played there best football with the fullbacks getting wide and looking dangerous especially woulfe

probably the most annoying thing was even with the 11 on the field it could have been change for the benefit of the players and the team

nolan keating molan mcgrath
barrett kelliher

kelliher was anonymous for the majority of the game it was only when he started doing his own thing that he looked good maybe the rest should do this

I seriously doubt if the man in charge knows what he is doing and him being mute for the 90 mins proved this to me

LFC in Exile
26/09/2005, 10:02 AM
It was an awful performance. We never really threatened. It was a great opportunity for us to mount a challenge for a play-off spot but we blew it. There is still a slim chance of nicking it - but I expect to be in the First Division next season.

I was very annoyed at the chanting. I understood completely the frustration but it was out of order, as SLK acknowledged. The problem of course is that the most vocal fans - both at the ground and on here - are the ones who only have negative things to say about the club and its management. They set the agenda because they are loudest. It would be better if the positive chants got more support - but of course fans feed off players and players feed off fans (for good and ill). Clubs will always have fans that are vocal in criticism and the important thing for the club/management/players to realise is that those fans do not represent or even reflect the majority view of fans - either in the ground or on this site. In relation to the player involved - I have never been as critical of him as others. I think he is a fine footballer and a lot of the criticism reflects a lack of knowledge of football and an idea that running yourself into the ground and busting your guts is the standard by which a footballer is judged.

declan hide
26/09/2005, 12:29 PM
It was an awful performance. We never really threatened. It was a great opportunity for us to mount a challenge for a play-off spot but we blew it. There is still a slim chance of nicking it - but I expect to be in the First Division next season.

I was very annoyed at the chanting. I understood completely the frustration but it was out of order, as SLK acknowledged. The problem of course is that the most vocal fans - both at the ground and on here - are the ones who only have negative things to say about the club and its management. They set the agenda because they are loudest. It would be better if the positive chants got more support - but of course fans feed off players and players feed off fans (for good and ill). Clubs will always have fans that are vocal in criticism and the important thing for the club/management/players to realise is that those fans do not represent or even reflect the majority view of fans - either in the ground or on this site. In relation to the player involved - I have never been as critical of him as others. I think he is a fine footballer and a lot of the criticism reflects a lack of knowledge of football and an idea that running yourself into the ground and busting your guts is the standard by which a footballer is judged.

your final comment is rubbish and an insult to most of us on this board.

jamie nolan can play football. but we have yet to see it. i believe his best position is right wing. NOC believes its centre forward. its people opinions. i certainly dont believe "running yourself into the ground and busting your guts is the standard". but if it was nolan certainly doesnt do that. instead when hes tackled he shrugs his shoulders or complains to the ref - (its a spoilt child on the pitch, he'll probably pick up the macth ball and go home with it some week) thats what we dont want to see - the shrugging shoulders etc. do you believe nolan is giving his all? well if he is then his "all" doesnt amount to much.

a goalkeeper has a team playing better football than us. a goalkeeper FFS!
did NOC rob those coaching badges?

BTW what were the positives from the performance the other night?

backodanet
26/09/2005, 1:19 PM
do you believe nolan is giving his all? well if he is then his "all" doesnt amount to much.

well "fans" calling him a Pr**k and cheering when he is taken off isn't going to make him try harder - the blame has to lie with the mananger and assistant they watch the matches like all the fans and aren't making the changes which seem blatantly obvious to everyone

did NOC rob those coaching badges?

a good coach doesn't mean a good manager ask brian kidd for example

gael353
26/09/2005, 1:51 PM

2002/2003

Team P W D L F A Pts
Waterford United 22 13 7 2 37 25 46
Finn Harps 22 12 5 5 41 22 41
Galway United 22 10 6 6 34 21 36
Cobh Ramblers 22 10 5 7 39 38 35
Kildare County FC 22 9 6 7 32 31 33
Sligo Rovers 22 8 6 8 28 27 30
Dublin City 22 8 4 10 36 35 28
Monaghan United 22 5 11 6 26 27 26
Dundalk 22 5 8 9 28 36 23
Limerick FC 22 6 5 11 26 36 23
Athlone Town 22 5 6 11 26 40 21
Kilkenny City 22 3 7 12 23 38 16

2001/2002
Team P W D L F A Pts
Drogheda United 32 14 16 2 52 28 58
Finn Harps 32 15 9 8 51 47 54
Dublin City 32 15 8 9 55 45 53
Waterford United 32 13 12 7 47 35 48
Kilkenny City 32 12 9 11 47 39 45
Sligo Rovers 32 8 9 15 35 48 33
Athlone Town 32 7 11 14 40 53 32
Cobh Ramblers 32 8 7 17 32 42 31
Limerick FC 32 8 7 17 32 54 31

declan hide
26/09/2005, 2:41 PM
well "fans" calling him a Pr**k and cheering when he is taken off isn't going to make him try harder - the blame has to lie with the mananger and assistant they watch the matches like all the fans and aren't making the changes which seem blatantly obvious to everyone

Well fans giving him encouragement doesn’t seem to wash with him either.

I certainly didn’t call him a “pr**k”. And had I heard what he mouthed back at a group of us I may have had a right to.

“a good coach doesn't mean a good manager”

don’t we know it all too painfully….

JohnD
26/09/2005, 3:35 PM
Agree with what "the Stars" said. The Players are paid a wage (paid by us btw) to perform .Simple as that.

LFC in Exile - Dont Patronise all the Posters. I am no Football expert but feel that I had some idea of what makes a good and bad player. Just because someone is from Cork city doesnt make him a good player. He has to earn that right and he has not. Maybe if we had some more gut busting and less shrugging of the shoulders the same player and a few others would earn our respect.

Gael - League Tables say it all. Nuff Said

SLK -- As regards the Sorry Poster. I have not laughed as much in ages..Get a Grip :D

Currently we have no width, shape, tactics or heart. End of Story.
JohnD

LFC in Exile
26/09/2005, 4:08 PM
LFC in Exile - Dont Patronise all the Posters. I am no Football expert but feel that I had some idea of what makes a good and bad player. Just because someone is from Cork city doesnt make him a good player. He has to earn that right and he has not. Maybe if we had some more gut busting and less shrugging of the shoulders the same player and a few others would earn our respect.

And being from Cork doesn't make a bad player either. It seems the case that only Cork players get abuse - e.g. O'Brien, Nolan, Wolfe.

The argument raises the interesting situation where Robbie does not get criticised for doing things that are hurting the team because he is 'busting a gut' (and from Limerick?). I am not saying Robbie is not a great player for us - he is worth his place and is a real talent - but by dropping deep he is crowding teh space for midfielders and provides no 'out' for midfielders. He is then forced to take on players when pushing up against the defending back four is the clever thing to do (something Nolan is doing). This is something the manager should be telling him and why a manager exists in the first place. We are not getting as much from Robbie as we should be - at times Nolan is up on his own - and I bet that is very frustrating.

With regard to shrugging the shoulders and saying things at fans - Nolan has been getting grief since he first arrived. He has never been given a chance (I think because he replaced another Limerick player in McCarthy) so I think frustration at his own fans and annoyance at criticism when he is doing the right things makes it amazing he hasn't said more or shrugged more.

treatyfc
26/09/2005, 4:10 PM
I think the whole Jamie Nolan issue came from the frustration that NOC didn't make the substitution earlier when it was so blindingly obvious that Nolan was not making any impact at all. The ironic cheer that was heard was, I believe, reserved for NOC but descended into the Cheerio chant for Nolan. Not very tastefull?, no, not the right thing to have done?, no.
However a POOR ramblers side with their wayward passing throughout the game managed to make LimerickFC look like a herd of inbred sheep. It was simply an absolute rubbish match with NO POSITIVES WHATSOEVER to take from it at all. Noel O Connor is void of ANY influence over his team on the pitch when they desperately need influence the most. 2-0 down and O'Connor stands idly on the sideline with his hands in his pockets and an expression on his face only too familiar with nurses on the intensive care unit in the regional hospital.
O'Connor needs to go, he's a bloody butcher and thats that.
As for the team? We have 4 players worth holding on to for the first team, Finny, Kelleher, Barrett and Buckley. How Finny has stayed at the club as long as he has is a credit to his commitment, he would walk onto many a team in the eircom league with ease. If we were to have gone up this season we would have been beaten week in and week out by better teams than Cobh and by bigger margins that last friday night.

4tothefloor
26/09/2005, 6:21 PM
I agree that NOC is impotent when it comes to tactics and decision making. He is just not a manager. Good decision making, involving shrewd tactics, is what makes a good manager. NOC cannot make the important decisions. He doesn't see what is blatently obvious to others. Simple as that. We will be in the same situation this time next year because that's the difference between getting promoted/winning things or being also rans. NOC's teams will always be also rans because he just doesn't have the tactical knowledge to consistantly deliver performances and results. He may be a great coach, but he is not a manager. That's my opinion anyway.

Regarding Jamie Nolan, you never know, what happened Friday night could be the making of him. He now knows he has critics to answer, so it will be interesting to see how he reacts with his performances.

BTW 4tothefloor,Its time to change your quote.No one cares how many European titles ENGLISH teams won and Limerick arent coming to a Premier ground soon.
So you're another one of those EL fans who has a chip on his shoulder - sad man. How about you mind your own business? I post in the Worldwide Football Forum as well, so there's plenty of members on foot who are interested in ENGLISH teams, you hardcore Irish football fan you..... :rolleyes:

LFC in Exile
27/09/2005, 8:32 AM
We have 4 players worth holding on to for the first team, Finny, Kelleher, Barrett and Buckley.

I don't agree. We have more than the four you mentioned. Mooney, O'Mahoney, McGrath, Keating and Nolan are all very comfortable at this level. I think Wolfe is a good player but there are better in his position. Young also if given a good opportunity would be good enough.

I think the quality is there in the side. IMO the quality is not being used to its best potential.

LFC in Exile
27/09/2005, 8:36 AM
Its great to talk about football again on this forum rather than the soap opera. :ball:

JohnD
27/09/2005, 9:05 AM
Looks like we have lost another player. By all accounts Stevie is gone, badly treated this year by the Club In my opinion. Played well in all his games and could not get a sniff at full back once NOC decided that Wolfie was a better player (God Help us :confused: Just shows how much he knows about Football).. you would want the patience of Job supporting this Club. :mad:

declan hide
27/09/2005, 9:36 AM
And being from Cork doesn't make a bad player either. It seems the case that only Cork players get abuse - e.g. O'Brien, Nolan, Wolfe.

The argument raises the interesting situation where Robbie does not get criticised for doing things that are hurting the team because he is 'busting a gut' (and from Limerick?). I am not saying Robbie is not a great player for us - he is worth his place and is a real talent - but by dropping deep he is crowding teh space for midfielders and provides no 'out' for midfielders. He is then forced to take on players when pushing up against the defending back four is the clever thing to do (something Nolan is doing). This is something the manager should be telling him and why a manager exists in the first place. We are not getting as much from Robbie as we should be - at times Nolan is up on his own - and I bet that is very frustrating.

With regard to shrugging the shoulders and saying things at fans - Nolan has been getting grief since he first arrived. He has never been given a chance (I think because he replaced another Limerick player in McCarthy) so I think frustration at his own fans and annoyance at criticism when he is doing the right things makes it amazing he hasn't said more or shrugged more.

Jaysus are you Jamie himself? Either that or you’re in a relationship with him. :D You’re always mr nice guy on here aren’t you :p

Nolan has had plenty of chance. Hes been in the team all season so we’ve had a good look at him. Getting grief? Maybe people are calling it like they see it? I dont see you defending chris kerins and I personally gave him more “grief”.

If Nolan turns around and proves to be a great player I’ll hold my hand up and say I was wrong about him. But it sure aint looking likely.

So pushing right up the field on top of the defenders is regarded as “doing the right things”. How about challenging for balls, getting stuck in, encouraging his team mates, scoring goals, winning free kicks in dangerous positions etc. Whens he gonna do that?

Fans love to see players who get stuck in and show the same passion for the club as they do. That’s why Nolan has annoyed the majority of us.

steve o'mahony gone. :mad: well there you go another footballer gone from the team. sure isnt the wild wolf doing great, mistiming challenges, slicing the ball into the air, being caught out of position, never crossing the half way line and best of all completely missing the ball regularly. NOC will have to pull off some major transfer coups in the season break to have me excited about going up there again next year.

Lim till i die
27/09/2005, 9:49 AM

Funnily enough I never remember abusing Stephen O'Flynn or Brendan Sweeny even though (gasp!) they were from Langerland :eek: Would also never abuse Wolfie because he "busts a gut" as you so elequently put it. And we all know how Rio turned out ;)

The Jamie Nolan incident was unfortunate but probably the most unfotunate thing about it is that it has allowed the club on this board and in other places to deflect attantion away from the fact that we were pi$$ed on by a (and no one can convince me otherewise on this) very poor Cobh Ramblers team :mad:

LFC in Exile
27/09/2005, 9:52 AM
I dont see you defending chris kerins and I personally gave him more “grief”.

I'm not 'defending' Chris Kerins because I don't think he is any good. I think the treatment handed out to Nolan is unfair because he is a good footballer. Kerins wasn't given a chorus of Cheerios from 'fans' of his own club when substituted.

Lets be brutal about this. Why is Kelliher not being criticised at all on this forum? I can hardly remember a shot on goal recently. He is playing all over the field and while he is 'getting stuck in' it is not adding anything to an attacking threat. He is not in the danger areas when it matters and he is crowding out midfield. Now this may not be Robbie's fault - the manager needs to tell him what job he wants done and if the manager is telling him to drop deep or play a free role then the manager is wrong.

By the way I sing 'Ooh Robbie Kelliher' as loud as anyone - I like him as a player (even he is not being used to full effect). But its time to drop the scales from our eyes and realise that he is not delivering and ask why. Lately he is as effective as Nolan. But it is Limerick = good, Cork = bad.

LFC in Exile
27/09/2005, 9:55 AM
it has allowed the club on this board and in other places to deflect attantion away from the fact that we were pi$$ed on by a (and no one can convince me otherewise on this) very poor Cobh Ramblers team.

Allowed the club? There has been one post about it from samuel - that's all. Hardly an orchestrated campaign to deflect attention. All of the other posts about it have come from fans - not the club. You're spot on about the second bit - we were muck.

deise deserter
27/09/2005, 12:01 PM
LFC in Exile:

I have to say that I'd know you pretty well over the years and was very surprised (and disappointed) with the statement at the end of your post.

You say that the people chanting are the negative ones at the games? That section do at least 95% of the chanting and give great support to the team - even when they don't bloody well deserve it. Nolan was bad on Friday - he has been consistently bad all year. I think the chanting was a combination of people being annoyed with Nolan and relief that NOC had finally realised that Nolan was wasting a place on the field that could have been filled with someone who could have at least shown interest in the game. The chanting may not have been pleasant but he damn well deserved it.

FC Hammer: About 20% of this year's season ticket holders are in the group behind the goal - how does this tally with your "fair-weather fans" comment?

The season has now officially become a joke. Slk: I don't think you needed to apologise - Nolan deserved it.

Surprised Willie John isn't here calling us "scumbags" for chanting.... :rolleyes:

declan hide
27/09/2005, 12:12 PM
He is not in the danger areas when it matters and he is crowding out midfield. Now this may not be Robbie's fault - the manager needs to tell him what job he wants done and if the manager is telling him to drop deep or play a free role then the manager is wrong.

By the way I sing 'Ooh Robbie Kelliher' as loud as anyone - I like him as a player (even he is not being used to full effect). But its time to drop the scales from our eyes and realise that he is not delivering and ask why. Lately he is as effective as Nolan. But it is Limerick = good, Cork = bad.

agree to an extent on robbie. if robbie was picking up the ball further up the field, he'd beat the first two players and he'd have sight of goal. as it is hes picking the ball up in midfield, he beats the first 2 players but then has another 3 to beat. in all fairness though there isnt much in the way of passes coming from midfield is there? there also isnt much in the way of link up play between robbie and nolan either.

i think we're wasting our time trying to figure the manager out at this point.

the final bit is another ridiculous statement from you following hot on the heels of yesterdays one. youre insulting our intelligence once agin and perhaps calling us rascists there? i couldnt care less were nolan is from...robbie may not be scoring but hes workign hard and putting alot of effort in...nolan on the other hand just isnt doing anything on the pitch and his attitude stinks to high heaven.

Lim till i die
27/09/2005, 12:12 PM
Allowed the club? There has been one post about it from samuel - that's all. Hardly an orchestrated campaign to deflect attention. All of the other posts about it have come from fans - not the club. You're spot on about the second bit - we were muck.

I think what I meant was that everyone is talking about the Nolan thing as opposed to the absolute poverty of our football. For not being clearer I humbly apologise :)

Still your criticism of Robbie (possibly the best young talent in the Eircom League) in an attempt to deflect away from Nolan is quite frankly laughable :D (There look I laughed)

As for fchammer calling the lads behind the goals in the Shed "fair weather fans" this might look pretty in a post but I think you need a reality check if you actually believe it ;)

JohnD
27/09/2005, 12:39 PM
LFC in Exile stop trotting out the same arguments and take off the Cork tinted glasses. :"Cork -bad Limerick =good" then how do explain the success of Bren Sweeney , imo the best player in a Blue Shirt in 5 yrs. Stevo was loved in Limerick as well. Oh and my God both were from Cork. Both worked their Bo****ks off for thier team.

As regards your crticism of Robbie.....Sad :confused:

Nolan never will, :mad: , nor is Wolfe Capable

We are not anti-Cork just dont like Wasters.

sadloserkid
27/09/2005, 1:08 PM
I was expressing a personnel view in relation to the substitution.

You'd think somebody in your line of work would pay more attention to spelling! ;)

LFC in Exile
27/09/2005, 1:11 PM
LFC in Exile stop trotting out the same arguments and take off the Cork tinted glasses. :"Cork -bad Limerick =good" then how do explain the success of Bren Sweeney , imo the best player in a Blue Shirt in 5 yrs. Stevo was loved in Limerick as well. Oh and my God both were from Cork. Both worked their Bo****ks off for thier team.

As regards your crticism of Robbie.....Sad :confused:

Nolan never will, :mad: , nor is Wolfe Capable

We are not anti-Cork just dont like Wasters.

Fair enough on the Cork thing - must be just a coincidence that the players getting most stick this season are O'Brien, Nolan and Wolfe.

Why is it sad to criticise Robbie. He hasn't scored since May. Mr Hide can see my point on Robbie - I am not saying he should be dropped - he is first choice striker in my books but he is not conributing as much as he should be and not only is he not scoring he is not creating enough chances - that is because he is playing too deep. I don't think its sad to say this - whatever happened to nobody being above criticism?

Deise - relax. Of course the same fans chant their support (as I do) but I was pointing out that just because those fans were heard does not mean that they are representative of all fans. The most vocal fans are not even the majority. I join in those chants - but I would not join in the chants aimed at Nolan last Friday. It would be easy for someone elsewhere in the ground to think that 'Limerick fans' were effectively booing Nolan and NOC. It would be more accurate to say 'some Limerick fans' were doing it - and a lot of those fans have been very vocal (IMO over the top at times) in their criticism this season. :ball:

sadloserkid
27/09/2005, 1:12 PM
And a query... haven't two of the last three player of the season awards been won by Corkies? :confused:

JohnD hit the nail on the head. Limerick crowds don't like players who are lazy and/or wasters.

And what happened the other night would never have happened to Anthony Wolfe for the simple reason that he does give 100% (and isn't as bad as some would have you believe anyway! ;))

LFC in Exile
27/09/2005, 1:14 PM
You'd think somebody in your line of work would pay more attention to spelling! ;)

Jaysus slk, that's a very dangerous game. Must be great to have a wonderful command of the Queen's English. :)

fc hammer
27/09/2005, 2:08 PM
As for fchammer calling the lads behind the goals in the Shed "fair weather fans" this might look pretty in a post but I think you need a reality check if you actually believe it ;)[/QUOTE]

how many of these (fair weather) fans will be at the next home game if the
blues loose at the weekend..it will be back to the same ol 50/100 fans for the rest of the home games.

gael353
27/09/2005, 2:17 PM
)
how many of these (fair weather) fans will be at the next home game if the
blues loose at the weekend..it will be back to the same ol 50/100 fans for the rest of the home games.

Do you really have to ask? there the same fans who were in the pike, the same fans in De Jacks they are the hardcore of the club so when you say it'll be back to the same 50/100 guess what its them, the same ones not just making bad/good noise or whatever, but making all the noise. And how do you know there going to lose in Monaghan, im going to be there again as im a supporter home or away are you going to be there? why not show how blue you are and sell some tickets for the club in two weeks time instead of moaning about the fans. Give a hand! oh one thing is that "hammer" meaning The hammers as in west ham or MC Hammer as in Hammertime! oh oh oh...doo doo, cant touch this! :D

thelimerick
27/09/2005, 3:22 PM
Fair enough on the Cork thing - must be just a coincidence that the players getting most stick this season are O'Brien, Nolan and Wolfe.

Why is it sad to criticise Robbie. He hasn't scored since May. Mr Hide can see my point on Robbie - I am not saying he should be dropped - he is first choice striker in my books but he is not conributing as much as he should be and not only is he not scoring he is not creating enough chances - that is because he is playing too deep. I don't think its sad to say this - whatever happened to nobody being above criticism?

Deise - relax. Of course the same fans chant their support (as I do) but I was pointing out that just because those fans were heard does not mean that they are representative of all fans. The most vocal fans are not even the majority. I join in those chants - but I would not join in the chants aimed at Nolan last Friday. It would be easy for someone elsewhere in the ground to think that 'Limerick fans' were effectively booing Nolan and NOC. It would be more accurate to say 'some Limerick fans' were doing it - and a lot of those fans have been very vocal (IMO over the top at times) in their criticism this season. :ball:

My natural reaction to your Robbie assesment is to slate it completely. However on friday night I felt Robbie did in fact look a bit reserved. In saying this though I am in no way criticising Robbie.
At times when the ickle Cobh keeper had the ball at his feet I expected the onlooking Robbie K to bolt towards the keeper as he usually does and force him into an error on which we could create a chance, which is what usually happens. However on friday he took a bit of convincing, and I don't blame him one bit.
Week after week under the system, or lack there of, that LimerickFC are being forced to play, Robbie has covered every inch of every pitch he has played on this season. He has been back defending, creating his own opportunities, (at times it looks like he manages to pass through-balls to himself), forcing players into mistakes and capitalising on them, running past the opposition when he should be flat out on the floor and he's managed to score a few vital goals aswell.
The way the TEAM played on friday night made Robbie redundant. Had he been biting at the heels of the opposition, speeding from one end of the pitch to the other, he would have done so for nothing. So many times on friday night there was complete lack of movement going forward. There seemed to be an acceptance that this was soley the responsibility of Robbie K and that no-one else need bother. He has had way too much asked of him every game this season and in my opinion, its a miracle he's still able to play at all. The Nolans of this world would be sidelined with "tiredness".
I really think it should not be underestimated how bad a match that was. We were destroyed, absolutely destroyed by a really poor football team. Had Cobh any players of class at all we would still be in Hogan Park trying to figure out the score.
As for the chanting, if you took those who you are critising away from Hogan Park it would be an extremely quiet football ground apart from the odd "F**K sake ref". Granted some of it may have been misdirected, after all Nolan doesn't pick the team. In fairness though this was no regular run of the mill match, we were awfull.

LFC in Exile
27/09/2005, 3:31 PM
Week after week under the system, or lack there of, that LimerickFC are being forced to play, Robbie has covered every inch of every pitch he has played on this season. He has been back defending, creating his own opportunities, (at times it looks like he manages to pass through-balls to himself), forcing players into mistakes and capitalising on them, running past the opposition when he should be flat out on the floor and he's managed to score a few vital goals aswell.
The way the TEAM played on friday night made Robbie redundant.

This is where we disagree I think. If McGrath and Barrett get on theball what they want to do is play it forward for a striker to run at or they want a bit of space to take it on themselves. On Friday (and it happens other weeks too) they look up and RK is standing next to them. It is easy for defenders to push out - it reduces the space they need to cover. RK covers a shed load of ground - more than he has to. It's a chicken and egg situation I suppose. RK drops back because he is not getting ball - he doesn't get ball (or is ineffective) if he drops back.

A solution woul dbe effective wide men who could pull defenders out of position and make space. They could also keep centre halves pinned back if they were beating full backs and getting crosses in. They would also be an outlet for balls from midfield. RK should be told to stop covering as much ground as he is. It is not doing him or the team any favours. He needs to push on where he can do some damage. If he is not getting service it is not his job to go and get the ball. :ball:

thelimerick
27/09/2005, 3:51 PM
This is where we disagree I think. If McGrath and Barrett get on theball what they want to do is play it forward for a striker to run at or they want a bit of space to take it on themselves. On Friday (and it happens other weeks too) they look up and RK is standing next to them. It is easy for defenders to push out - it reduces the space they need to cover. RK covers a shed load of ground - more than he has to. It's a chicken and egg situation I suppose. RK drops back because he is not getting ball - he doesn't get ball (or is ineffective) if he drops back.

A solution woul dbe effective wide men who could pull defenders out of position and make space. They could also keep centre halves pinned back if they were beating full backs and getting crosses in. They would also be an outlet for balls from midfield. RK should be told to stop covering as much ground as he is. It is not doing him or the team any favours. He needs to push on where he can do some damage. If he is not getting service it is not his job to go and get the ball. :ball:
I hardly think its Robbie's fault if he's the one that has to go backwards to get possesion back for the team. I was going to say if he doesn't who will, rather it should be when he doesn't who does?? We have no options out wide because NOC puts the wrong players out there so the central midfield players are under huge pressure to provide RK and Nolan. When they cant the front players drop back. IMO we need a player up front who can link the midfield play with Robbie. Someone with a bit of skill and not shy of scoring either. Wait a minute we one of them there not so long ago!! Its not really worked since he left has it? We have no link there whatsoever now and as a result our ideas have become stale and repeatitive... if i see another lame chip over the top for Robbie to chase I'll explode.

jebus
27/09/2005, 4:41 PM
sorry been away from the Net for the last few days hiding in a room, banging my head off a wall in the hopes I'll forget every aspect of the Limerick-Cobh game, sadly it hasn't worked. On the pitch Limerick were an absolute disgrace last Friday, none more so than Jamie Nolan, and off the pitch, well we'll get to that in a sec. How many more times it has to be said that Noel is just not cometant enough to be the Limerick FC manager I don't know, but surely even Danny is starting to wake up to that now. A lot of fans say he has no plan B when things go wrong, but if you look at it he doesn't even have a Plan A to begin with. His tactics begin and end with hoofing the ball in the air and hoping you get a lucky break, or an opponants player messes up. He needs to go NOW!

I'll hold my hand up as one of the Cheerio Chanters from Friday night (shock of the season I know), but all I have to to say to LFC In Exile and samuel and whoever else is just stop being so chlidish about the matter. We're paying customers, we're entitled to give whatever verdict we want to a team whos wages we're paying, and we're entitled to give it in anyway we want. This whole 'You have to support your team no matter what' theory is just plain bull**** that people try to use toover big mother ****ing Noel O'Connor made cracks with. Nolan is a time waster, and a mediocre footballer, Noel shouldn't be picking him but he is, so when Nolan doesn't sem to give a crap about Limerick FC on the pitch, why then do we have to pat him on the back just for pulling on the jersey? The man clearly doesn't give a toss about playing for Limerick, so I turn don't give a toss about him, or his precious feelings (he should be old enough to take a bit of abuse aswell, this isn't the u-12s we're talking about here).

Bottom line is the performance on Friday night deserved evey boo, every cheerio, and every shake of the keys it got, and if it wasn't for the 'fairweather' fans singing at games then the whole ground would be totally silent at every match cause they're the ones that get EVERY, SINGLE chant going!! I thought FC Hammer was just another Danny Drew sign-on name anyway? Ah I lose track of Danny and his crazy shenanigans on a weekly basis anyway!

4tothefloor
27/09/2005, 7:33 PM
1. Jamie Nolan is a mediocre footballer. He is lazy and puts in minimal effort. This is why he is being criticised. Not 'cos he's from Cork :rolleyes:
2. Having a go at Robbie Kelliher and at the same time defending Mr. Mediocre above doesn't make sense. If Robbie having to drop deep is a tactical issue, which it is, it isn't Robbie that people should be having a go at. We do have a manager, Noel O'Connor is his name.
3. Having a go at football fans for chanting is a bit sad as well. In every football club in the world, if a player plays s**t and lacks effort, he gets abuse. Why should it be any different at Limerick?
4. I think NOC must view this Limerick squad as one giant carcass, 'cos I've never seen a manager butcher a squad so much in my life......wait a minute, our manager is a butcher :eek: Christ, it was right in front of us all the time.....

Just wondering when are the chants for NOC's head going to start then, he is the root of our on-field problems after all? He's the one constantly picking poor performers. He's the one playing players out of position. He is the one who doesn't know the difference between a tictac and a tactic. Because I honestly cannot see myself going to Hogan Park next season if this connoisseur of puke football is in charge again. Entertainment value = 0, and that's being kind

fc hammer
27/09/2005, 9:03 PM
Do you really have to ask? there the same fans who were in the pike, the same fans in De Jacks they are the hardcore of the club so when you say it'll be back to the same 50/100 guess what its them, the same ones not just making bad/good noise or whatever, but making all the noise. And how do you know there going to lose in Monaghan, im going to be there again as im a supporter home or away are you going to be there? why not show how blue you are and sell some tickets for the club in two weeks time instead of moaning about the fans. Give a hand! oh one thing is that "hammer" meaning The hammers as in west ham or MC Hammer as in Hammertime! oh oh oh...doo doo, cant touch this! :D

Gail your very bad today is it your time of the month! i never said they'r going to loose in managhan i said if they loose! fair play to you for going to managhan!maybe you can bring a box of oranges up with you i heard you'r very good with fruit & veg or maybe donate a box of dunnes stores fruit & veg for the half time draw at the athlone game!!!!!you never know you might get supporter of the season and get a rubber medal the same size as a dustbin lid!!!!!!!!!!!

declan hide
28/09/2005, 9:33 AM
circles round going in here we are

deise deserter
28/09/2005, 1:04 PM
4tothefloor:

Once again a post of genius!!!

Nearly fell off my chair! :D