PDA

View Full Version : Saturation premiership.

Pages : [1] 2

aIr BaNd!
20/09/2005, 4:58 PM
Well at last the bubble seems to be bursting on the mighty english premiership.Greed has now ruined it.Constant saturation coverage by sky has burnt it out.Russian whos plays real football fantasy has driven the final nail in the mighty premierships coffin.
One horse race it is now,still you get the died hard supporters blowing all their money in pubs watching there so called local english teams.Nothing beats seeing your own local team in the flesh every week.Quiet alot of people are getting fed up of boring english premiership football and are now coming out and enjoying a friday nite at the Cross.
Some barstoolers are so much out of reality when the hear about the admission price of a Cork City home game that they forget that their local english premiership team charges £70 POUND STERLING.

thejollyrodger
20/09/2005, 5:21 PM
you could nearly buy a season ticket for that kind of cash ffs.

Rovers1
21/09/2005, 6:24 PM
90E season ticket at Showgies,best 90E i spend every year!!!

Fair_play_boy
21/09/2005, 11:29 PM
90E season ticket at Showgies,best 90E i spend every year!!!Agreed, same here. Paid about 400 for the kids and myself to see City. There is nothing to compare with that value. Luckily for me they are seriously into the team, the shed, the whole experience.

EnDai
21/09/2005, 11:35 PM
€100 @ Tolka. Would happily pay much more, but I won't complain about the value! :D

gustavo
22/09/2005, 7:52 AM
why's this in the cork forum!

kingcolers
22/09/2005, 1:43 PM
In fairness, its not all premiership nonsense over there. I used go see QPR and it was great: £20-25 for a ticket, nice ground, great buzz, competitive league and a lot of local lads playing for the team.

But I agree with all sentiments above. Hopefully City (and the eL in general) can take advantage of the disillusionment with the prem and remind everybody what its all about: suporting local lads in a local team (not overpaid, overrated, self-obessed showponies going through the motions...)

wws
22/09/2005, 1:50 PM
I've nothing against the premiership - or any country's national league for that matter but this current fashion for going on anout the Rip off Premiership - is a perfect angle and opening for any decent marketing strategy to hype up the rest of our season - we've a two possibly 3 horse race here and a desperate fight for survival at the bottom

bash the setanta/tg4 and rte heads together and you could have a memorable end to this EL season

yiddo
22/09/2005, 2:19 PM
In fairness, its not all premiership nonsense over there. I used go see QPR and it was great: £20-25 for a ticket, nice ground, great buzz, competitive league and a lot of local lads playing for the team.

But I agree with all sentiments above. Hopefully City (and the eL in general) can take advantage of the disillusionment with the prem and remind everybody what its all about: suporting local lads in a local team (not overpaid, overrated, self-obessed showponies going through the motions...)

Twould be great if this disillusionment with the premiership translated into extra support for EL teams but I somehow doubt it. I don't see the barstoolers here leaving the comfort of their barstool and heading of to El grounds.

sean1_3
22/09/2005, 9:15 PM
Sky news were comparing prices of chelsea tickets to other european teams and bayern munich is the same price as cork city. Stiil think we're gettin good value?

patsh
23/09/2005, 6:44 AM
Sky news were comparing prices of chelsea tickets to other european teams and bayern munich is the same price as cork city. Stiil think we're gettin good value?
Yes.
Cost of living is higher in Ireland than it is in Germany, and City are much better to watch than Bayern!

colm3012
24/09/2005, 8:27 PM
95c for child to get into juve match thats value

Ruairi
25/09/2005, 10:07 AM
Moved to Gen. football.

Roar

thejollyrodger
25/09/2005, 10:41 AM
I meant a Eircom League season ticket by the way.

anto eile
25/09/2005, 2:49 PM
95c for juve, no wonder.their crowds (for the most popular team in italy) are woeful. averaged 25-30,000 last year.
Roma tickets last season went for as little as E5 near the end of the season for some games as the olympic stadium is half empty every week

anto1208
26/09/2005, 8:38 AM
Twould be great if this disillusionment with the premiership translated into extra support for EL teams but I somehow doubt it. I don't see the barstoolers here leaving the comfort of their barstool and heading of to El grounds.

thats because the EL is sh1t , plain and simple , i used to follow it for 15 years but ive given up now because its so boring and i fly to the uk now to watch the prem league and even its most boring games are still better than anything you ll see here and im including the national side in that .

just look at a city like liverpool its tiny but yet they have 2 stadiums both of which are bigger and better than any fotty stadium in ireland , the teams are better supported than our national side even

pete
26/09/2005, 10:54 AM
just look at a city like liverpool its tiny but yet they have 2 stadiums both of which are bigger and better than any fotty stadium in ireland , the teams are better supported than our national side even

I don't think can say Liverpool id tiny when last census said City was 450k with wider urban area 1.3m.

Macy
26/09/2005, 11:02 AM
thats because the EL is sh1t , plain and simple , i used to follow it for 15 years but ive given up now because its so boring and i fly to the uk now to watch the prem league and even its most boring games are still better than anything you ll see here and im including the national side in that .
Total ******, I've sat throw many shíte premiership matches (and that was watching in an era when it was actually quite attacking, certainly United were). Which team were you following incidentally, if you've never seen an eL game that's been more exciting than a premiership game?

btw Liverpool a small city? Inferior maybe, but small? Give us a fookin break....

anto1208
26/09/2005, 12:35 PM
Total ******, I've sat throw many shíte premiership matches (and that was watching in an era when it was actually quite attacking, certainly United were). Which team were you following incidentally, if you've never seen an eL game that's been more exciting than a premiership game?

btw Liverpool a small city? Inferior maybe, but small? Give us a fookin break....

i used to support limerick i went to every home game and about 90% of away games for a few years , then cut back to just home games so i would have watched practically every team in the league at some stage over the last 15 years , i also would have seen quite a lot of cork when i lived down that direction .
i went to see everton wigan a game considered a bore by the critics yet i saw more skill and talent on the pitch in 45 mins than ive seen in the EL in 15 years .

liverpool is smaller than dublin even, yet it boast 2 fantastic 40,000+ all seater stadiums whats the biggest in dublin ?? maybe 15,000 and most of that is standing ( lansdown is rugby croker is gaa before ye suggest either of those )

Dodge
26/09/2005, 1:02 PM
watched Liverpool v man U on the Tv a couple of weeks ago. Terrible game. Poxy atmosphere, poor skill levels. If that was Cork v Derry this league would be hammered by all in the press.

Risteard
26/09/2005, 1:28 PM
liverpool is smaller than dublin even, yet it boast 2 fantastic 40,000+ all seater stadiums whats the biggest in dublin ?? maybe 15,000 and most of that is standing ( lansdown is rugby croker is gaa before ye suggest either of those )
Liverpool has no gaa stadiums over 40,000.
Ireland play their football internationals in Lansdowne Road.

Éanna
26/09/2005, 1:35 PM
i used to support limerick i went to every home game and about 90% of away games for a few years , then cut back to just home games so i would have watched practically every team in the league at some stage over the last 15 years , i also would have seen quite a lot of cork when i lived down that direction .
i went to see everton wigan a game considered a bore by the critics yet i saw more skill and talent on the pitch in 45 mins than ive seen in the EL in 15 years .

off with ya :rolleyes: supporters don't give up. good riddance

anto1208
26/09/2005, 4:21 PM
off with ya :rolleyes: supporters don't give up. good riddance

well i never classed myself as a supporter of either i just like to support any local footy , when i moved to limerick or to cork i wanted to support the local footy team so i went to watch those teams but ive allways been an everton supporter first and foremost thats why i have never given up on them .

but its this attitude within the EL that keeps so many people away ,that if you dont go and hand over your hard earned cash week in week out to watch that sh1te then your not a real fan and your not welcome at the ground .
i cant afford to go to EL and prem games any more its as simple as that but ever since i stopped ive been met with this attitude that has promted me to promise myself never to return to an EL game and ive come across plenty of others in the same boat that share the same opinion .

anto1208
26/09/2005, 4:24 PM
Liverpool has no gaa stadiums over 40,000.
Ireland play their football internationals in Lansdowne Road.

thats because they dont play gaa over there on a national scale , are you comparing soccer in ireland to gaa in england !!!

ireland rent lansdown from the IRFU they dont have a national football stadium

Dodge
26/09/2005, 5:48 PM
Think the point anto1208 is that excitement comes from having an emotional attachment to the team. Pats are obviously nowhere near the footballing levels of the premiership but us scoring a last minute equaliser against anybody would probably m,ake me happy for a week.

Sure I can appreciate a great game of skilful football on the TV but if you have no attachment to the team it just cannot be as exciting as seeing your team play. the problem most eL fans have with people who support other leagues is that they have no real reason for supporting any of those teams so they can't possibly understand the emotions we, as real football fans, feel

Éanna
26/09/2005, 8:46 PM
ever since i stopped ive been met with this attitude that has promted me to promise myself never to return to an EL game WHAT DO YOU EXPECT?! :rolleyes: jesus wept, what planet are you on? In fairness, all I can remember since you started posting on this site is you slagging the standard of irish football, and then you make this decision that you won't go to games anymore, and you expect people to react reasonably to it? Get a grip will ya :rolleyes:

Éanna
26/09/2005, 8:48 PM
but its this attitude within the EL that keeps so many people away ,that if you dont go and hand over your hard earned cash week in week out to watch that sh1te then your not a real fan and your not welcome at the ground .where did I say that? I couldn't care less how many games you do/don't go to. Its your attitude that stinks, and that kind of attitude we can certainly do without.

The Stars
26/09/2005, 8:54 PM
Im absolutly delighted that the Premiersh!t has gone down hill...better for our league.
I used to be a massive Arsenal fan but this season i couldnt give a flying fcuk about them or even that bothered to watch Match of the Day

Conor H
26/09/2005, 9:01 PM
Im absolutly delighted that the Premiersh!t has gone down hill...better for our league.
I used to be a massive Arsenal fan but this season i couldnt give a flying fcuk about them or even that bothered to watch Match of the Day
Exact same.I used to support Liverpool and GUFC but in the last 2 years it's GUFC all the way.I don't even know who liverpool are playing most weekends.Also i feel the exact same as Dodge.If United scored a last minute winner or even win a bloody game :rolleyes: i'd be over the moon for a week.I don't know how i ever supported the premiership,now when i watch a match i just get bored tbh.There is nothing like live football and your team doing well.
UTD TILL I DIE!

The Stars
26/09/2005, 9:18 PM
ya fair play to ya Conor honestly.the more people that turn there backs on the English game the better.When you think of it most of us hate england football team but then we waste our days and hard earned cash watching English players and over paid foriegners playing boring football,diving around the place and not giving a sh!t about the fans.At least eircom players are locals and adore us fans.

jimbob117
26/09/2005, 11:39 PM
we waste our days and hard earned cash watching English players and over paid foriegners playing boring football,diving around the place

How do you know this if you dont watch match of the day or any english football??
and if your so keane on the demise of english football, you obviously dont care too much about our national team, considering the fact all our players(bar harte) play there. And i, for one, care more about our national team than any EL, or EPL team.

mypost
27/09/2005, 2:05 AM
Premiership boring? Here's Sky's record of games so far:

Arsenal 0-0 Newcastle (until 80th minute)
Bolton 0-0 Blackburn
Liverpool 0-0 Ush-ited
Middlesbrough 0-0 Liverpool
Wigan 0-0 Chelsea (until 93rd minute)

Aston Villa 1-1 Spurs
Bolton 1-0 Portsmouth
Spurs 1-0 Fulham

Premiership boring? Agreed.

Karlos
27/09/2005, 8:17 AM
I for one disagree on this.........suddenly no goals = boring games?
If seeing goals is the only thing that makes football interesting to people then stick to Soccer AM or Eurogoals!!

I've enjoyed almost all of the games some of you have mentioned above. Mostly becuse as a coach myself I'm interested to see the formations used and how each team reacts to certain situations in the game. I enjoyed watching Arsenal trying to break down a 10 man Newcastle. I enjoyed the cat and mouse affair between Liverpool and United. I enjoyed watching the minnows of Wigan pulverise the Chelsea goal for 90 minutes resulting in the most dramatic finish to a game so far this season. I enjoyed the Bolton - Everton game where Everton snatched it when it never looked like they would even get a shot a goal. And over the last two days I throughly enjoyed Sunderlands win at Boro and the Fulham game Vs the Spuds.

6 games in this time last year, Arsenal were invincible and the league was over - thankfully (sadly for me), everyone was wrong. The same muppet journalists are writing the same crap after 6 games this year. Chelsea may well win the league but it's far from over and the entertainment value for someone like me (i.e. who has a facination with the game in general) is far from in decline.

I'm a silver member at Arsenal and have no intention of turning my back on the game based on it's current alleged boringness. I'm not bored by it in fact this season I'm intrigued by it. The performances of teams like West Ham and Charlton have been a breath of fresh air as have the uncertainty of games involving Arsenal, liverpool, United etc. The only exception, 6 games into a 38 game season, has been Chelsea's ubeaten run which I genuinely believe won't last forever (see Wigan, Villa, Anderlecht as reasons why!). It looks like being the most 'interesting if not goal shy' season in a long time for me.

As always this thread on a world football section has turned into an E.L. fans opportunity to bash both the premier league and Fans such as myself who watch it. I don't come on any of the EL forums and bad mouth the EL or it's supporters. As so many of you claim to have no interest in the English game which incorporates our Irish players I find it difficult to comprehend how some can offer comments on the demise of games you do not (allegedy) watch (the same applies to fans who don't watch the EL and consistantly bad mouth it, i might add).

I'm sick of the comments about having passion for your local side and being real fans of LIVE football. Well I'm a real supporter of LIVE english football, I've gone to games at Arsenal there since I was 6 or so, thanks to my kind hearted Irish Aunt who lived locally to Arsenal. Arsenal was her local team and it became ours from an early age.

As much as i am in no position to make comments on the El, I am without doubt in a position to make comments om the EPL and my team who in current seasons have played the best football I've witnessed in my lifetime, even during 0-0 draws!! All the while I haven't missed on Irish International in years and give hours week on week to amatuer football in Ireland.

This REAL FANS tag of some EL fans is becoming tiresome. They might have a case on some fly by night fans but don't tar us all with the same brush.

End of rant!! :)

Happy Tuesday Morning to all!! ;)

anto1208
27/09/2005, 8:33 AM
WHAT DO YOU EXPECT?! :rolleyes: jesus wept, what planet are you on? In fairness, all I can remember since you started posting on this site is you slagging the standard of irish football, and then you make this decision that you won't go to games anymore, and you expect people to react reasonably to it? Get a grip will ya :rolleyes:

i cant afford to go to games any more , thats hardly my fault . and what was your line "good riddence " .
take of the blinkers it is rubbish hence not one player from the EL even getting near the national team.

all im doing is backing the premier league which is the closest league to us and where the national team play so i dont rejoice in its dimise like ye do on here

Poor Student
27/09/2005, 10:28 AM
Lads I'll have to ask you to tone this down. Attacking one's right to support a foreign football club is contrary to the rules of this forum.

anto eile
27/09/2005, 2:20 PM
"fascinating" and "interesting" are just words that sky use to describe shyte games, without actually labelling their own product as crap

dublinred
27/09/2005, 2:27 PM
Premiership boring? Here's Sky's record of games so far:

Arsenal 0-0 Newcastle (until 80th minute)
Bolton 0-0 Blackburn
Liverpool 0-0 Ush-ited
Middlesbrough 0-0 Liverpool
Wigan 0-0 Chelsea (until 93rd minute)

Aston Villa 1-1 Spurs
Bolton 1-0 Portsmouth
Spurs 1-0 Fulham

Premiership boring? Agreed.

Agree , was thinking of cancelling the Sky sports have no interest in most of the matches anyone , best match I seen all season was Watford v Sheffield United at viccarage road , 5 goals 1 sending off and worth the 20 quid admission.

dublinred
27/09/2005, 2:30 PM
"fascinating" and "interesting" are just words that sky use to describe shyte games, without actually labelling their own product as crap

Wonder will Sky be looking for the floodlight money back now that it doesn't affect the attendances anymore

Macy
27/09/2005, 2:35 PM
It's part of their contract that they have to portrait the premiership in a good light. They contractually can't say "this game is rubbish".

hoops1
27/09/2005, 3:02 PM
Anto1208
The 2 best players ever to wear the green both Played in the EL
Football fan my Arse
Please go away!

Karlos
27/09/2005, 3:07 PM

which you will of course admit,sadly includes almost every Ireland friendly international match....... :(

At least it Finally explains to me how some people on foot.ie are over the moon over our fantatic friendly international record......obviously they just have been blinkered into believing ****e games mean something by Sky too.

'Real Fans' (copywrited Eircom League Fans 2005 :) ) of football can see beyond the media hype of the hairy handed one and his sidekicks on sky. If your suggesting I find certain games interesting because sky told me then your sadly mistaken. I've been educated enough on the game to find even the dullest 0-0 draw fascinating be that Serie A, Bundesliga, Premier League, SPL, Amatuer Football league, United Churches League Div 1 Saturday, you name it! (trust me I even found enjoyment in my own men's team heavey defeat on saturday watching an effective opposition destroy us.......just a little though.....my players might be reading this!! :p )

It's the game itself that intrigues me, not the results,the entertainment or the media hype.

Conor H
27/09/2005, 3:51 PM
which you will of course admit,sadly includes almost every Ireland friendly international match....... :(

At least it Finally explains to me how some people on foot.ie are over the moon over our fantatic friendly international record......obviously they just have been blinkered into believing ****e games mean something by Sky too.

'Real Fans' (copywrited Eircom League Fans 2005 :) ) of football can see beyond the media hype of the hairy handed one and his sidekicks on sky. If your suggesting I find certain games interesting because sky told me then your sadly mistaken. I've been educated enough on the game to find even the dullest 0-0 draw fascinating be that Serie A, Bundesliga, Premier League, SPL, Amatuer Football league, United Churches League Div 1 Saturday, you name it! (trust me I even found enjoyment in my own men's team heavey defeat on saturday watching an effective opposition destroy us.......just a little though.....my players might be reading this!! :p )

It's the game itself that intrigues me, not the results,the entertainment or the media hype.
How do you get satisfaction from a foreign team doing well?Would you not much prefer to see your local team doing well...and the atmosphere and buzz at home and away games,which you can always go to,following an EL side.But don't go on about standard because the standard in the premiership is nothing to rant on about,or do you enjoy sitting in a bar and watching the tele :rolleyes: :mad:

anto1208
27/09/2005, 4:08 PM
Anto1208
The 2 best players ever to wear the green both Played in the EL
Football fan my Arse
Please go away!

and whats your point i guess your on about giles and keane i dont know much about giles im not that old , but i do know he went to leeds and keane to forrest / man utd . all in england why because its a much much better league allways has been .

but this is a discussion on the prem this season in which nearly all the irish players currently play

The Stars
27/09/2005, 4:15 PM
How do you know this if you dont watch match of the day or any english football??
and if your so keane on the demise of english football, you obviously dont care too much about our national team, considering the fact all our players(bar harte) play there. And i, for one, care more about our national team than any EL, or EPL team.
Are you unable to read or something.What did I say in my other post on this forum...i said I used to support Arsenal,iv been over to a lot of games and have so many jerseys and other merchandise I cant even count it.
But that is in the past and i will never buy another jersey of any club team except ones from Ireland.
But you are right about me not caring about the national team.Obviously i like to see them doing well but couldnt really care less if they quilify for the world cup or not.This is because they are made up of english converts and over paid and over rated players who earn there money in England and couldnt give two sh!tes about IRISH Eircom League football.
This is my view at the moment until more players from eircom League clubs get International call ups.

Dodge
27/09/2005, 4:33 PM
and whats your point i guess your on about giles and keane i dont know much about giles im not that old , but i do know he went to leeds and keane to forrest / man utd .
He better have been talking about McGrath...

anto1208
27/09/2005, 4:40 PM
How do you get satisfaction from a foreign team doing well?Would you not much prefer to see your local team doing well...and the atmosphere and buzz at home and away games,which you can always go to,following an EL side.But don't go on about standard because the standard in the premiership is nothing to rant on about,or do you enjoy sitting in a bar and watching the tele :rolleyes: :mad:

well i go to goodison for all the home games in the prem so i wouldnt be watchin on tv , and yes its more exciting than any EL game ive ever been to .
its completly different to see players with that much talent playing in the flesh , which you dont get inthe EL of course watchin gyour local team is exciting because there your team , but its only exciting to you .

its like watching your kids play footy you want them to win its exciting but not to any one else .

anto1208
27/09/2005, 4:48 PM
Are you unable to read or something.What did I say in my other post on this forum...i said I used to support Arsenal,iv been over to a lot of games and have so many jerseys and other merchandise I cant even count it.
But that is in the past and i will never buy another jersey of any club team except ones from Ireland.
But you are right about me not caring about the national team.Obviously i like to see them doing well but couldnt really care less if they quilify for the world cup or not.This is because they are made up of english converts and over paid and over rated players who earn there money in England and couldnt give two sh!tes about IRISH Eircom League football.
This is my view at the moment until more players from eircom League clubs get International call ups.

so your saying duff should quit chelsea and move to sligo or brain kerr should pick his team from EL players !! are you serious ??

dublinred
27/09/2005, 5:19 PM
so your saying duff should quit chelsea and move to sligo or brain kerr should pick his team from EL players !! are you serious ??

Would be better for the national team if all our players were not playing in an overhyped sub standard league , If they were playing regulary in Serie a or the primera it would improve their technical skills.

The Stars
27/09/2005, 5:24 PM
Ya thats exactly what im saying.Duff should sign for Rovers for 10,000 euro and still get international call ups......BTW im being carcastic!!!
What im saying is that more Irish players from the Eircom League should be getting international call ups.Take Doyle for example,he didnt get a mention by Kerr while with Cork and now that he is playing in England,even if it is The Championship,he has got a call up.Why is this?He hasnt suddenly become a better player now he is in England,has he?

mypost
28/09/2005, 4:50 AM
Take Doyle for example,he didnt get a mention by Kerr while with Cork and now that he is playing in England,even if it is The Championship,he has got a call up.Why is this?He hasnt suddenly become a better player now he is in England,has he?

No, but you don't understand, Stars. We all know how ironic it is, that you can't play for this country, while you play football in this country. You may be full-time, match-fit, and getting regular first-team football unlike other players in the current squad, but funnily enough, you are banned from playing for your country while you play in our league, even against world-beaters Cyprus, and North Atlantic fishermen. Apparantly, they are better than you, you poor unfortunate NL player.

Such ignorance towards the domestic game wouldn't be tolerated in any other country. But this is Ireland, and we have to have different rules here. Irish logic!! :rolleyes: