PDA

View Full Version : League Cup final on Tuesday...

Pages : [1] 2

Poor Student
17/09/2005, 5:44 PM
Any neutral lads here interested in going? With Setanta Cup qualification for the winner there is a lot at stake. Shels and Longford have a particularly vested interest in this game with a Derry win increasing their Setanta Cup qualification chances. Bohs, Pats and Rovers fans have a vested interest from the perspective of not wanting Derry to win to prevent Shels from doing so. It's a cup final and both sides play decent football I urge any neutral fans in Dublin to come along and have a look. For any of you who are students at UCD you can pick up a ticket in the college for 10 Euro at the Sports Centre or at out stall in the Arts block.

ThatGuy
17/09/2005, 5:47 PM
If it was on in Dalymount or Tolka I'd probably go, Belfield is a bit out of the way. Should be a good game, is it on Setanta?

Conor H
17/09/2005, 5:49 PM
If it was on in Dalymount or Tolka I'd probably go, Belfield is a bit out of the way. Should be a good game, is it on Setanta?
Ya i think it is alright.

Poor Student
17/09/2005, 5:49 PM

It is. Ah come on, it's still Dublin! If you live near Dalymount a No. 10 would take you right into UCD. A bit of live football to fill the void and tie you over to Friday and watch one more final nail go into the coffin that is Shels season, what more could you ask for?

Slash/ED
17/09/2005, 6:23 PM
I'll more than likely be there, but with it being on TV the neutrul attendence will be alot lower.

Poor Student
17/09/2005, 6:30 PM
Good man. Put the word out about how important this game is to Shels if people haven't realised yet. We need a good crowd for TV as well, don't forget. There will be non-EL fans watching too and hopefully a good spectacle can help our image.

patsh
17/09/2005, 6:56 PM
I hope there is a big crowd and its a good game. The Setanta place is probably better than the LC itself, and it will be very interesting to have either team in that competition.
Completely neutral, good luck to both sides.

superfrank
17/09/2005, 7:19 PM
I can't go, have school the next day and wouldn't get home til 11 at earliest. Hope it's a good match. I will be watching as a neutral but I hope UCD go all out to win it......so they'll be knackered for Friday!! Cos, imho, I don't know how we could beat them otherwise.

Slash/ED
17/09/2005, 8:00 PM
I hope there is a big crowd and its a good game. The Setanta place is probably better than the LC itself, and it will be very interesting to have either team in that competition.
Completely neutral, good luck to both sides.

Keeping in mind Patsh, a Derry win puts (more than likely) either Shels or heaven forbid, Longford :eek: in the Setanta cup, I'd have thought you'd be up for UCD :p

pineapple stu
17/09/2005, 8:11 PM
Belfield is a bit out of the way.
Hard to imagine a less out-of-the-way ground in the league, to be honest! DART is two miles away, God knows how many bus routes go along the dual carriageway, there's the Aircoach and other public transportation as well.

A face
17/09/2005, 8:34 PM
Belfield is a bit out of the way.

This just cracks me up like !! :eek: ..... ffs man !! :D

Pablo
17/09/2005, 10:02 PM
its a bit cringe worthy that a national final is being help in that Kip.

disgrace.

Poor Student
17/09/2005, 10:54 PM
EIRCOM LGE CUP FINAL TICKET COMP
We have five pairs of stand tickets to
give away for next Tuesday's eircom
League Cup final between UCD and Derry.

Answer the following question and send
in the answer to aertel@rte.ie by
Sunday 18, winners will be notified on
Monday 19.

Q: What is UCD's home ground called?

Tickets for the match are on sale now
from both clubs and ticket holders will
be entered into a prize draw on the
night, where five pairs of tickets for
Ireland's World Cup home qualifier
against Switzerland on October 12 will
be on offer.

Answer is Belfield Park. You know you want those tickets. ;) Nice to see something being done to promote the final. :ball:

Cosmo
18/09/2005, 1:17 AM
Any neutral lads here interested in going?

back in drogland since a few weeks ago but still wouldve gone if it hadve been somewhere nearer the city centre - good luck with it anyway, hope ye beat them c**ts :)

mypost
18/09/2005, 1:54 AM
With Setanta Cup qualification for the winner there is a lot at stake. Shels and Longford have a particularly vested interest in this game with a Derry win increasing their Setanta Cup qualification chances. Bohs, Pats and Rovers fans have a vested interest from the perspective of not wanting Derry to win to prevent Shels from doing so. It's a cup final.

You can correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it, both sides are in the Setanta Cup already, as if they're going to give the NL 4 SC spots, Derry are practically guaranteed a top-two finish, and Setanta can't give them two spots. :confused: That would mean they would have to give the extra spot to the other LC finalists i.e. UCD, anyway. So if that is true, then Cork, Derry, and UCD, are already qualified for the SC next year, and will be joined later by the FAI Cup winners.

pineapple stu
18/09/2005, 12:11 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong
OK. The League Cup runners-up don't get into the Setanta. If Derry win and come first or second in the league, the LC spot goes to third in the league.

patsh
18/09/2005, 12:22 PM
Keeping in mind Patsh, a Derry win puts (more than likely) either Shels or heaven forbid, Longford :eek: in the Setanta cup, I'd have thought you'd be up for UCD :p
I have no problem about $hels representing this league. I think they didn't play to their strengths and made a hash of a great chance to progress in Europe this year, but they have an understanding of the bigger picture for the league, unlike some clubs I could mention.

I suppose I would probably liketo see UCD win it, but I can't see Derry winning all 3 competitons, so them winning it might be better for us.

Poor Student
19/09/2005, 10:57 AM
Any other neutral takers on here for Tuesday?

Drumcondra Red
19/09/2005, 11:07 AM
Got training on a Tuesday!!!

fosterdollar
19/09/2005, 11:12 AM
I'll drop over defo. Will try and bring a couple of non-eL fan friends if they around also.

Poor Student
19/09/2005, 11:14 AM
I'll drop over defo. Will try and bring a couple of non-eL fan friends if they around also.

Please do. We're doing ok so far. Last I heard we had sold 50 already and Derry have sold out their 300 allocation up there.

Poor Student
19/09/2005, 11:43 AM
We're up to 150 sales now. Derry have asked for another 300 apparently.

Pablo
19/09/2005, 11:44 AM
We're up to 150 sales now. Derry have asked for another 300 apparently.

says it all really!

ltfc_2004
19/09/2005, 11:51 AM
I will be over after lectures so will only catch the second half but i'll drop by the recruitment stand at some stage during the week

Poor Student
19/09/2005, 11:54 AM
says it all really!

Ah Pablo quit the old hackneyed obvious jibes at us. Derry selling more tickets than UCD, shock horror. :rolleyes:

Drumcondra Red
19/09/2005, 1:42 PM
You should be doing a massive drive in UCD now, give away free tickets to freshers or something, this is a prime opportunity to get people and new fans down!!!

Krstic
19/09/2005, 1:45 PM
give away free tickets to freshers or something

Free tickets my Fcuk, it's a 3 way split for the gate money.
If UCD want to attract new fans then they'll have to foot the bill. :ball:

Drumcondra Red
19/09/2005, 2:04 PM
From the clubs allocation, they would foot the bill, they won't have a better chance of recruitment then this around the college, run a night in one of the student bars in conjunction with the final, it doesn't take much brain power to really take advantage of this

Pablo
19/09/2005, 3:51 PM
Ah Pablo quit the old hackneyed obvious jibes at us. Derry selling more tickets than UCD, shock horror. :rolleyes:

its not a dig at UCD at all.

it should be properly marketed and played at a ground that looks decent on TV.

give away free, tickets, close 3 sides of tolka or richer and have one side full.

i dunno. bit of imagination like. oh wait its Irish football i forgot!

Drumcondra Red
19/09/2005, 4:16 PM
In fairness Pablo, they can fill the stand in belfield and the camara is the other side, although is there any truth that the stand behind the goal is shut???

I hope the UCD fans are off trapesing the Uni campus and recruiting new fans for tomorrow and thats why they're so quite on this topic!!! :D

Schumi
19/09/2005, 4:20 PM
is there any truth that the stand behind the goal is shut?
Has been all saeason.

The vast majority of UCD fans will be buying tickets on the night so the number of tickets we've sold is immaterial really.

Drumcondra Red
19/09/2005, 4:26 PM
Why? And why is it closed for the cup final?

Schumi
19/09/2005, 4:31 PM
Why?It's unsafe. The floor is extremely slippy if it gets any way wet.

And why is it closed for the cup final?See above. ;)

BohsFans
19/09/2005, 4:37 PM
We're up to 150 sales now.

:D :D :D :D :D

Poor Student
19/09/2005, 4:43 PM
The stand is rarely full and several hundred people always choose to stand around the sides anyway, even in rain. It's no problem.

We are postering the campus a lot, and have set up a stall to sell tickets. I announced to the biggest lecture theatre about the game and only one person came and bought a ticket afterwards. What can I do?

Buller
19/09/2005, 4:45 PM
tell me when ye get to 151 sales!!! :eek: :D

Buller
19/09/2005, 4:47 PM
I announced to the biggest lecture theatre about the game and only one person came and bought a ticket afterwards. What can I do?
Wow, thats really bad, such idiots.... maybe theyll come along on the night, if not its there loss if its a great match.

Poor Student
19/09/2005, 4:58 PM
Wow, thats really bad, such idiots.... maybe theyll come along on the night, if not its there loss if its a great match.

When I said "Hey I'm from the UCD AFC supporters club" you could hear an "Uhhhhhhhhhh". We're fighting two problems, league image problems, then even worse our particular image in that context.

I think we've raised massive awareness of the game one way or another. We'll see the attendences on the night. Obviously that's where most of the sales will come from.

Drumcondra Red
19/09/2005, 5:15 PM
I think you should approach one of the student bars and run a night in conjunction with the cup final, 2 free drinks if they have their ticket stamped at half time and admission inclued or something like that, bit late now, but its your club, not mine!!!

pineapple stu
19/09/2005, 7:54 PM
I think you should approach one of the student bars and run a night in conjunction with the cup final, 2 free drinks if they have their ticket stamped at half time and admission inclued or something like that, bit late now, but its your club, not mine!!!
How does this work? Do you run the half-mile from the ground to the pub and back at half-time just to get your ticket stamped? Why not just present your ticket? How do you get free admission if you've already got a ticket? In any case, that would constitute a beer promotion, which are banned in UCD since 1999.

The free ticket giveaway is out for the exact reasons Krstic said.

What we'll have to arrange - PS, schumi et al take note! - is to get the bars on campus to show the match live. Would be good publicity.

I will be over after lectures so will only catch the second half
:eek:
What course are you doing?!

Poor Student
19/09/2005, 8:03 PM
I'm sure the old Sports Bar would have been perfect to show the game however we all know what happened to that. The other lads can approach the bars if they want but I'm having nothing to do with those bars ran the SU tossers.

Drumcondra Red
19/09/2005, 9:50 PM
Stamped at half time to ensure they see at least the first half!!!

I'm sure the old Sports Bar would have been perfect to show the game however we all know what happened to that. The other lads can approach the bars if they want but I'm having nothing to do with those bars ran the SU tossers.

You're the one looking for a crowd, mate!!!

Dr.Nightdub
19/09/2005, 10:37 PM
Q: What is UCD's home ground called?

A: The tenth circle of hell?

On a more serious note, getting the bars to show it live seems just a tad counter-productive.

BohsFans
19/09/2005, 11:50 PM
sure you can't even see the goal or corner if your sitting at the end of the stand in that **** hole + you can't go to the stand behind the goal anymore or stand on the hill!
Where exactly can you watch the game from??
Best bet is your TV set!!

Student Mullet
20/09/2005, 12:02 AM
sure you can't even see the goal or corner if your sitting at the end of the standThe stand has been redesigned especially for you BohsFans. Come along to see the improvements. I predict that thay'll be gone again before the Swiss international.

Pablo
20/09/2005, 8:10 AM
i'm sure the splendour of the AIB stand will look magnificent tonight!

ltfc_2004
20/09/2005, 8:57 AM
BA Evening and i have an exciting two hours of a social Policy lecture on theories and concepts of Irish Social Policy !!!!

What time will ye be manning the stand till ?

Jerry The Saint
20/09/2005, 9:33 AM
The free ticket giveaway is out for the exact reasons Krstic said.

Seems like typical eL short-sightedness. Surely the league could make up the shortfall on giving away 1,000 free tickets or, failing that, the clubs could split the cost (seeing as its not going to be full anyway!).

Of course, once the (extended?) AIB stand is full, having more people than usual around the ground may not make much of a difference to how it looks on TV with the empty, broken seats closed off behind the goal and the grass bank also out of commission. What is the official capacity of Belfield these days?

Krstic
20/09/2005, 9:52 AM
Seems like typical eL short-sightedness. Surely the league could make up the shortfall on giving away 1,000 free tickets or, failing that, the clubs could split the cost (seeing as its not going to be full anyway!).

Of course, once the (extended?) AIB stand is full, having more people than usual around the ground may not make much of a difference to how it looks on TV with the empty, broken seats closed off behind the goal and the grass bank also out of commission. What is the official capacity of Belfield these days?

So Derry sell maybe 500 tickets and UCD sell 200, yet we have to share the burden of helping to promote UCD by giving free tickets to free loading, soap dodging students :eek: ??

If you had wanted a big crowd at the final then the game should have been played at the Brandywell ;)

ThatGuy
20/09/2005, 12:15 PM
A brother of mine in UCD, who has absolutely no interest in football (or sports in general) was asking me about the Cup Final tonight after whatever marketing was going on in UCD, so maybe you are getting through to more people than you think.