PDA

View Full Version : Most memorable...

Pages : [1] 2

dfx-
01/08/2005, 11:44 PM
defeat you have experienced watching/following your team?

Everyone remembers the highs of victories for their team because of the celebrations that followed, but the worst defeat often gets swept under the carpet in a "whatever you do, don't mention the war" mentality..

It doesn't have to be 5 or 6-0 drubbings, just a 1-0 defeat to a team you really still cannot live down losing to in those circumstances...

Mine has to be the - albeit freak - 4-6 defeat to Boez at the Morton. I sat on the hill behind Robbie Horgan in the 2nd half and could quite simply not comprehend what I was seeing.

(Apologies in advance for any rekindled horrendous memories :D )

Éanna
01/08/2005, 11:55 PM
Going 1-0 up against Pats in 98(?) at the cross. I think it was december, live on RTE and Morley scored just before half time. The place erupted. Less said about the rest of the game the better though :( We lost 2-1

thecorner
02/08/2005, 12:04 AM
the dundalk game which we lost final game of the season to hand them the league :mad: :mad:

Anto McC
02/08/2005, 12:12 AM
Final day of the season against Cork :(

Breifne
02/08/2005, 12:17 AM
Think it would have to be at the tail end of the 2002-03 season, when we had an outside chance of winning the first division title, up in morton stadium, playing kilkenny, who were rock bottom of the league, and a little whippersnapper called Aiden O'Keeffe contrived to score a hat trick against us as they ran out 4-3 winners, to all but end our hopes of promotion.

Funny that cause he joined us a couple of weeks later at the start of the 2003 season and played a fairly large role in the title winning team, at least until his loan ended and he went back to pats.

After that probably the defeat to Drogheda last season, when Roddy had just walked out, and it became clear to all of us that our premier division days were over for at least 12 months.

dcfcsteve
02/08/2005, 12:18 AM
We've had a fair few with Derry.

Probably the final game of the 1994/5 season. Winning the league was in our hands against a rather weak Athlone team, yet we somehow managed to miss a penalty and hand the title to our then nemesis's Dundalk.

We beat Shels in the Cup Final a few weeks later, so if we'd not fecked-up at Athlone in that last game we would've celebrated our 10th anniversary in the league by completing a 2nd treble in 6 years ! No-one else has managed to even do one yet..... :o

Dr.Nightdub
02/08/2005, 12:21 AM
This has got to be one of the sickest threads ever.

For me, it's a toss-up between losing the Cup final to Longford and the Zimbru disaster. The Longford one was almost understandable in that we'd lost Charlie and Karim in the week leading up to it but the Zimbru one was a shock that I don't think we've ever recovered from.

sligoman
02/08/2005, 12:28 AM
Losing to Finn Harps, 5-1 at home last season in the league cup quarter final. Even though it was just the league cup it was losing by so much to our nearest rivals, we ended the game with 9 men too :( . One good thing came out of it though-O'Riordan left :)

dfx-
02/08/2005, 12:33 AM
This has got to be one of the sickest threads ever.

It's an inquiry into how things have never got as bad as they were after this game - like for example when I was standing watching Harps beat Rovers 4-1 this season and the game was petering out, I thought 'well at least even this isn't as bad as that game'

The usual feeling after defeat is that it's a terrible performance etc. but some really stand out, that no matter how much time passes and how many more defeats you suffer, you still don't forget this one particular game and how low you felt after it. :)

adamcarr
02/08/2005, 12:36 AM
Last seasons home 1-0 defeat to Shels! We just couldnt score! We were shocking! And now looking back if we had won that game, we would be champions! Ah well.... :(

atfconline
02/08/2005, 12:46 AM
Best: Just for sheer mad celebrating, a normal game against Monaghan in the League a few years ago. Losing 2 - 1 with about five minutes to go, we ended up winning 3 - 2.

Worst: Losing the playoffs on penos to UCD in 2000/01.

Peadar
02/08/2005, 8:34 AM
Going 1-0 up against Pats in 98(?) at the cross.

For me it was the defeat at Inchicore 98/99.
Huge crowd again and the league battle was between us.
We lost 1-0 I think.
We had a goal disallowed and some seriously dodgy refereeing gave Pats the victory and effectively the title. :mad: :(

pete
02/08/2005, 9:34 AM
For me it was the defeat at Inchicore 98/99.
Huge crowd again and the league battle was between us.
We lost 1-0 I think.
We had a goal disallowed and some seriously dodgy refereeing gave Pats the victory and effectively the title. :mad: :(

I'd go with that too. Was one of my first away games. The manner of defeat was more disappointing than the result.

gustavo
02/08/2005, 9:41 AM
walking in at half time to discover we were already 4 nil down in the cup to bray during tommy cassidys glorious reign i think it must have been january 2000.

BrayZil
02/08/2005, 10:33 AM
1) Losing 2-1 away to Bohs in the FAI Cup Semi Final in 2000.

2) Its not a defeat but it definitely felt like 1. We drew 1-1 with Dublin City in 2003. They got the dodgiest penalty ever and meant we lost out on promotion. How the ref gave a penalty when he was on the half way line I’ll never know!

3) Losing 4-1 away to Shels this season. We were 1-0 down and got it back to 1-1 and then it all went wrong!

hamish
02/08/2005, 10:34 AM
We've had a fair few with Derry.

Probably the final game of the 1994/5 season. Winning the league was in our hands against a rather weak Athlone team, yet we somehow managed to miss a penalty and hand the title to our then nemesis's Dundalk.

We beat Shels in the Cup Final a few weeks later, so if we'd not fecked-up at Athlone in that last game we would've celebrated our 10th anniversary in the league by completing a 2nd treble in 6 years ! No-one else has managed to even do one yet..... :o

Did the PA for that Steve and I bent over backwards to be diplomatic - gave a very muted annoncement for Donal Golden's goal - had to feel sorry for the Derry lads - Phil Coulter was in the stand just in front of me and the poor man looked like he was going to have a heart attack.
The League did a really stupid thing that day - do you remember them openly displaying the championship trophy before the game?? I know the Derry lads were very annoyed at that.
I remember Micky O'Connor (then Town boss) saying before the game that Dundalk would win the title - he was really pi$$ed off at reports that Athlone would roll over. Of course, he was ex-Dundalk too, wasn't he?

I had a kinda hand in it too - Shane Curran had a blinder that day - I think he saved a penalty - I persuaded him to sign for the Town -

Sorry Steve :o

BohDiddley
02/08/2005, 10:54 AM
Even with the Camarthen debacle so fresh in the mind, it has to be losing 1-0 to Dublin City last season :mad: :mad:
Ditto(ish). More or less anything to do with 2004 and HFDC. The shame! :mad:
Upshot this season is an unnatural interest in Sligo's fortunes.

dcfcsteve
02/08/2005, 10:55 AM
Did the PA for that Steve and I bent over backwards to be diplomatic - gave a very muted annoncement for Donal Golden's goal - had to feel sorry for the Derry lads - Phil Coulter was in the stand just in front of me and the poor man looked like he was going to have a heart attack.
The League did a really stupid thing that day - do you remember them openly displaying the championship trophy before the game?? I know the Derry lads were very annoyed at that.
I remember Micky O'Connor (then Town boss) saying before the game that Dundalk would win the title - he was really pi$$ed off at reports that Athlone would roll over. Of course, he was ex-Dundalk too, wasn't he?

I had a kinda hand in it too - Shane Curran had a blinder that day - I think he saved a penalty - I persuaded him to sign for the Town -

Watch yer back Sir Hamish - we know where you live..... :D :p

Iorfa
02/08/2005, 10:57 AM
FAI Cup Final 2004 v Longford Town. Two balls on the pitch, Dan Connor taking the ****, Paul Keegan bawling crying. How different things could have been this year.

Carlin
02/08/2005, 11:02 AM
Losing to Dundalk on the last day of the season in 93 when a draw would have won us the league.....the bus breaking down, never was a corner for the first goal, etc, etc :mad:

Getting humiliated by Levadia last year wasn't a great day either.

hamish
02/08/2005, 11:08 AM
Watch yer back Sir Hamish - we know where you live.....

LOL :D

.and I'm not even able to run away anymore. :eek: :D

Story about "Cake" is true though Steve, Pat Devlin was stuck for a keeper when Josh Moran got injured and I remembered Curran playing for the Ros youths against Mayo here in Beeslow in 1987 so I sugested to Devo could we give him a try, contacted Pat O'Connor, the Castlerea Celtic secretary, had a chat with Shane, got him to sign for a hundred quid a week and the rest is history.
Jesus, I used to drive him home to Castlerea after every fcuking match (home and away) until he bought a car.
I still make it a point to watch Roscommon Gah matches just to see Shane playing - he's bound to do something.....er......unusual. LOL

Hamish

PS - this is really sad - I still have a copy of the "official" letter to Pat O'Connor tucked away somewhere. :o

De Town
02/08/2005, 11:28 AM
1 Carmarthen 5-1 :(

2 St Francis a few years back. When we were the shíttiest team ever, bottom of the 1st division. 2-0 up at home to St. Francis, with 10 mins to go, and lost 3-2, will never forget it. They were the dark days.

3 Losing LC Final 03 to Pats. After missing a pen in the last minute.

OneRedArmy
02/08/2005, 11:45 AM

Definately my worst memory.

I've never understood why Athlone were so happy about it though. I'm not suggesting anything improper went on BUT the players and officials were jumping around and cheering like they had won the League at the end of the game. Very strange.

superfrank
02/08/2005, 11:58 AM
When we lost 3-2 to UCD this season at Belfield when it was lashing rain. There was more Bray fans in the AIB Stand and we made all the noise during the match. Then they took the lead but Tarzan equalised and it was 1-1 at half-time.

Then at the start of the second half we were on top and Zayed scored the luckiest goal. I thought we'd go on to thrash them but within a minute they'd equalised and then they went onto win it. It was sickening. :mad: :(

RonnieB
02/08/2005, 12:00 PM
LOL :D

.and I'm not even able to run away anymore. :eek: :D

Story about "Cake" is true though Steve, Pat Devlin was stuck for a keeper when Josh Moran got injured and I remembered Curran playing for the Ros youths against Mayo here in Beeslow in 1987 so I sugested to Devo could we give him a try, contacted Pat O'Connor, the Castlerea Celtic secretary, had a chat with Shane, got him to sign for a hundred quid a week and the rest is history.
Jesus, I used to drive him home to Castlerea after every fcuking match (home and away) until he bought a car.
I still make it a point to watch Roscommon Gah matches just to see Shane playing - he's bound to do something.....er......unusual. LOL

Hamish

PS - this is really sad - I still have a copy of the "official" letter to Pat O'Connor tucked away somewhere. :o

Curran is some charecter indded. Played against him a few times in the old sunday leagues. Dont know how he would do it but id be so ****ed off playing against him :-D

Slash/ED
02/08/2005, 12:25 PM
Cork and Dundalk stick out for a start. Bobby Ryans header was another, Bohs had a depleted team and we were rubbish, mi**** every cross into the box except one which produced the finest save the league has ever seen, then they get a last minute winner.

Hibs of Malta is the other obvious one, took years to live that down.

Schumi
02/08/2005, 1:10 PM
Probably losing 2-1 to Pats in Inchicore a few years back. We were 1-0 up after 90 minutes and conceded two goals in injury time. :( :(

Alternatively, losing 3-0 to Longford in Belfield two years ago. Getting hammered by a mediocre team extinguished any hope I had at the time of us staying up.

This thread is sick!

hamish
02/08/2005, 2:24 PM
Definately my worst memory.

I've never understood why Athlone were so happy about it though. I'm not suggesting anything improper went on BUT the players and officials were jumping around and cheering like they had won the League at the end of the game. Very strange.

Hi ORA - can't remember them jumping around TBH but I heard that there was a bit of friction in the dressing room area afterwards.
I do know that Micky O'Connor had them hyped up because he felt that Athlone were regarded as a pushover by the media.
Don't like the idea TBH of players rubbing it in on such an occasion - if Curran hadn't been so inspired that day the score would have been 1-5.
Wish he could have been like that all the time. :(

The only thing that bothered me about Derry City - you'd get the team names and numbers off them before the game and then a substitute would come on with someone else's number thus the wrong name would be read out. It used to drive me demented.

hamish
02/08/2005, 2:27 PM
Curran is some charecter indded. Played against him a few times in the old sunday leagues. Dont know how he would do it but id be so ****ed off playing against him :-D

Did you play Ros. League, Ronnie B? - was involved with that League too. What club did you play for?

bigmac
02/08/2005, 2:49 PM
FAI Cup Final 2004 v Longford Town. Two balls on the pitch, Dan Connor taking the ****, Paul Keegan bawling crying. How different things could have been this year.

Pretty horrible alright - not worst loss or performance, just because so much was at stake. To be beaten by Alan Kirby as well, a local man and former player just made it worse although I'll always give the guy credit for not celebrating when he scored.

Couple of years ago in the cup against Rovers in the RSC as well, think the game ended up 4-3 or something to them - was a windy night and they had a free kick almost at the half way line over near the stand. Our keeper was outside his 6 yard box - despite everyone in the stand screaming at him to get back - and lo and behold the ball floats in over his head. Nightmare stuff. Can't remember any really good wins since winning the first division, but any wins over Cork or Kilkenny are always worth more.

Juz the Hoop
02/08/2005, 3:16 PM
Losing to Dundalk on the last day of the season in 93 when a draw would have won us the league.....the bus breaking down, never was a corner for the first goal, etc, etc :mad:

Getting humiliated by Levadia last year wasn't a great day either.

Carlin as a hoop i laughed that day. The were at the time rumours that Gregg deliberatley done that so he would know exactly what bohs had to do. It backfired badly. Hard to believe its over 12 years ago.

For me the worst was losing 1-0 to Bohs in the cup semi in 2001. The way we had demolished Shels (who in the 90's were our cup nemises 96 and 99) in the quarter final I was so sure that it was our year. The first half was tense but in the second half the game opened up and we missed two great chances through Brian Byrne and Marc Kenny's free hitting the post and roling along the line. Tony o Connor in all credit to him used his knowhow to get out of the way of that. Then Crowe scoring the winner in the last minute.

At the time I was going with a girl who was living in Cabra Park. After the game i went back to hers with a few of my mates (also hoops who's GF's were pals of hers) the 4 of us hoopers couldnt laugh or anything at about midnight I said to her "Im going home I cant stay in Phibsboro tonite" even she couldnt cheer me up that night ;)

Took me 18 months to get that game out of the system.

KOH

JUZ

PS this is great theraphy

Troy.McClure
02/08/2005, 3:40 PM
Getting wolloped 4-0 at home to Bohz the day Mountfield got the sack at half time.

Beating Kiev 2-1 at home in the UEFA Cup felt like a defeat because they got their goal with the last kick of the game and it ultimatly put us out.

Kilkenny (I think) in the cup a few years ago when their keeper timewasted for about an hour.

Any UCD defeat because they usually play cr@p yet we insist on hoofing the ball to our smallest player who is being marked by Delaney (thankfully this has stopped reciently).

TheOwl
02/08/2005, 3:45 PM
Hibs of Malta is the other obvious one, took years to live that down.

That's the one for me also the Dundalk away on the last day.

Lots of people said to me after I came back from Tranmere that I must have been gutted the way we lost 5-3, but to be honest, I had the best hour of my life at that game and wouldn't swap for the world, it wouldn't have been nearly so memorable if we had drawn 0-0.

Éanna
02/08/2005, 3:52 PM
Getting wolloped 4-0 at home to Bohz the day Mountfield got the sack at half time.

it was pats that beat us 4-0 that day. of course you're a shels fan now, so wouldn't expect ya to know :p :D

Sonic
02/08/2005, 3:53 PM
Even with the Camarthen debacle so fresh in the mind, it has to be losing 1-0 to Dublin City last season :mad: :mad:

Obviously not that well etched in your memory it was 2-1 to Dublin City. Without a doubt its last thursdays embarrasement it doesnt get much worse.

Bosco
02/08/2005, 4:44 PM
1)Camarthen Game without a doubht
2)Losing 2-0 to ucd in flancare in dec 2003,we badly needed the points to stay up and ucd wiped us,it looked like we were going back down for definite.Having said that it made the performances in the next few games all the more sweeter.
3)Losing the league cup final after totally outplaying pats in the second half,2,000 longford people watching barry miss that peno

Troy.McClure
02/08/2005, 5:03 PM
it was pats that beat us 4-0 that day. of course you're a shels fan now, so wouldn't expect ya to know :p :D

Ooooooooo, low dig there Éanna! Im a Cork feen at heart sure. Those dubs all look the same to me sure ;)

Poor Student
02/08/2005, 5:13 PM
Easily the 5-1 defeat by Cork about a month ago. The only time I have seen UCD get hammered live.

The 3-2 defeat to Pats at Richmond this season deserves an honourable mention too. Nearly the first time I saw UCD get hammered as our defence and midfield collectively did an impression of a block of Swiss cheese in the first half. The 2nd half involved a spirtited comeback we could not complete. :(

superfrank
02/08/2005, 5:17 PM
Easily the 5-1 defeat by Cork about a month ago. The only time I have seen UCD get hammered live.

The 3-2 defeat to Pats at Richmond this season deserves an honourable mention too. Nearly the first time I saw UCD get hammered as our defence and midfield collectively did an impression of a block of Swiss cheese in the first half. The 2nd half involved a spirtited comeback we could not complete. :(
Just for the record, the Cork match was the first time you saw UCD get hammered, right?

bigmac
02/08/2005, 5:19 PM
The only time I have seen UCD get hammered live.

Haven't been going to games long then? ;)

Anto McC
02/08/2005, 7:23 PM
Im a Cork feen at heart sure. Those dubs all look the same to me sure ;)

Except for me,you can call me the handsome one :D

TonyD
02/08/2005, 10:19 PM
5-0 at Home to Zimbru for me. The worst feeling I've ever had (or expect to have) after any match. What makes it worse was the high expectations we had before the game. I agree with Dr Nightdub, we've never really recovered from that night. Honourable mentions to 2 cup final defeats as well, 96 to Shelbourne and 2003 to Longford. (By the way, how can any Longford fan complain about the League Cup that year ? Greedy bastids, I know which cup I'd rather have won.)

RonnieB
03/08/2005, 8:11 AM
Did you play Ros. League, Ronnie B? - was involved with that League too. What club did you play for?

Used to play the odd game with Lough Harps before injury and laziness took over :)

Pablo
03/08/2005, 9:58 AM
1991 against Dundalk.......last game of the season.....a draw and we'd win the league.....we lost....i was 10.....i cried!!!

and by twisted bitter attitude to everything started on that day!

Bosco
03/08/2005, 12:46 PM
By the way, how can any Longford fan complain about the League Cup that year ? Greedy bastids, I know which cup I'd rather have won.)

Because we still had never won a senior trophy(how times have changed :D ) and in this game unlike the bohs game in 2001 we had a good chance of winning.Expectations were high and there was a huge buzz around the town and the club,we brought 2,000 up which was as big if not bigger then the home crowd.We outplayed ye and to go from the high of getting a last minute penalty to be taken by barry who had never missed a peno for us(how times have changed :mad: ) to an immediate low and then the sound of the final whistle.At the time it was a huge dissapointment but looking back now I couldnt give a **** :D :D

Poor Student
03/08/2005, 12:48 PM
Haven't been going to games long then? ;)

Tis true. Doesn't change the fact they've only been hammered once before my eyes though. :D

De Town
03/08/2005, 12:51 PM
Because we still had never won a senior trophy(how times have changed :D ) and in this game unlike the bohs game in 2001 we had a good chance of winning.Expectations were high and there was a huge buzz around the town and the club,we brought 2,000 up which was as big if not bigger then the home crowd.We outplayed ye and to go from the high of getting a last minute penalty to be taken by barry who had never missed a peno for us(how times have changed :mad: ) to an immediate low and then the sound of the final whistle.At the time it was a huge dissapointment but looking back now I couldnt give a **** :D :D
summed up perfectly Bosco :p

Aberdonian Stu
03/08/2005, 1:27 PM
Most memorable was a game I didn't even see. Early in the 2001/02 season we lost 6-0 in Dalymount. Fifteen minutes after full time Aertel had a latest score of 0-0 :rolleyes: . I rang the lads and got the bad news.

Of those I watched probably the 3-0 defeat to Bohs in a Cup replay in 2000. Had great hopes after a 3-3 draw away but two questionable goals cost us the match. Was gutted.

That both games featured Bohs is a coinicidence I'll blame on Aertel.

Poor Student
03/08/2005, 1:30 PM
Most memorable was a game I didn't even see. Early in the 2001/02 season we lost 6-0 in Dalymount. Fifteen minutes after full time Aertel had a latest score of 0-0 :rolleyes: . I rang the lads and got the bad news.

Given who I support and all that shouldn't be too funny but sorry, I find that hilarious. :D

Schumi
03/08/2005, 1:34 PM
It brightened my mood coming out of Dalymount that day I must say! :D