CB: Paisley (LONGFORD)
LB: Murphy (CORK)

RM: McCourt (DERRY)
CM: O'Callaghan (CORK)
CM: Farrelly (BOHS)
LM: Houlihan (SHELS)

ST: Zayed (BRAY)
ST: Farrenn (DERRY)

SUBS: Kearney (CORK), Devine (CORK), J.Byrne (SHELS), Fitzgerald (LONGFORD), Bennett (CORK)

I know I might look a bit biased with the centre backs but when they are on form, they are pure magic.

jfogarty
31/07/2005, 10:02 PM
Holden (waterford)
Horgan (cork)
Hutton (derry)
Murray (cork)
Frost (pats)
McCourt (derry)
McDonnell (ucd)
O'Callaghan (cork)
Gamble (cork)
Zayed (bray)
Farren (derry)

harry crumb
31/07/2005, 10:16 PM
---------Devine---------
Horgan-----Bennett----Hutton-----Murphy

McCourt--O'Callaghan--Martyn--Kearney

-----Farren-----Beckett-------

Thats 6 from Cork City
4 from Derry
and 1 from Rovers

Honerable mentions....
Hawkins(Shels)
Farrelly(Bohs)
Doyle (Cork)
Fahey(Pats)
Zayed(Bray)

Slash/ED
31/07/2005, 10:17 PM
Farren Zayed

Hoolahan Farrelly O'Callaghan McCourt

Webb Hawkins Hutton Heary (c)

Devine

In reality that mid field would be far too attack minded to work though.

daveh
31/07/2005, 10:24 PM
Devine

Horgan Bennett Murray Murphy

O'Donovan O'Callaghan Gamble Kearney

O'Flynn Fenn

Subs:O'Halloran,McNulty,O'Brien,Behan,Woods

I think thats about right!!

:D :D :D :D

De Town
31/07/2005, 10:25 PM
Holden (waterford)
joke, right? :confused:

Éanna
31/07/2005, 10:40 PM
Cork City FC :)

Dyl10
31/07/2005, 10:42 PM
Cant beleive Clive Delaney hasn't got a mention :eek: !!!!!!!!!!

De Town
31/07/2005, 10:46 PM
Cant beleive Clive Delaney hasn't got a mention :eek: !!!!!!!!!!
He's in goals in "blue til i die" 's team ;) :D

Dyl10
31/07/2005, 10:47 PM
He's in goals in "blue til i die" 's team ;) :D

:D :D :D

redgav
31/07/2005, 10:58 PM
-------------------Devine-------------------------
Horgan--------Bennett----Murray---------Murphy--

O'Donovan---------O'Callaghan------Gamble--------- Kearney
-------------------------Fenn-----------------
-----------------------O'Flynn----------

Best 11 in the league

daveh
31/07/2005, 11:02 PM
as you can see from my previous post,i totally agree! :)

Dyl10
31/07/2005, 11:12 PM
:eek:
-------------------Devine-------------------------
Horgan--------Bennett----Murray---------Murphy--

O'Donovan---------O'Callaghan------Gamble--------- Kearney
-------------------------Fenn-----------------
-----------------------O'Flynn----------

Best 11 in the league

I knew 1 sap was bound to post it but low and behold 2 :eek: !!
If you think Dan murray has been in the top 2 CB in the league this year you need a reallity check! He would struggle to make my top5 and horgan is not better than heary either :p

Slash/ED
31/07/2005, 11:18 PM
Yeah, while Horgan is good, can't believe anyone would pick him or any other right back ahead of Heary. For me none even come close, it's the only clear cut decision in a team like this.

harry crumb
31/07/2005, 11:20 PM
Horgan and Bennett and Murray are all underrated players, that despite excellent performances in recent seasons have not been mentioned at the end of the season when the gongs are being given out.

I agree that Heary is an excellent player but Horgan is playing great stuff this year and Heary had a nightmare against Cork in Tolka.

jfogarty
31/07/2005, 11:22 PM
joke, right? :confused:

everytime ive seen him hes been quality. was going to go with ryan but that would be biased ;)

Pablo
31/07/2005, 11:23 PM
Wats your team of the season so far???
Here's mine:

................Delaney.............
Heary..Hutton..Doherty..Webb
...McCourt..Farrelly..Harkin.....
...Zayed..Farren..Foley.........

ha ha see how the poor Sap of a farmer picked no City players. i feel for your suffering i really do. :p

Slash/ED
31/07/2005, 11:24 PM
Heary had a nightmare against Cork in Tolka.

I must have missed that. From my memory he had an excellent battle with Kearney with both players playing well.

daveh
31/07/2005, 11:27 PM
If we have to get technical about it,the title says team of the year,no mention of best 11 from what i can see

Pablo
31/07/2005, 11:27 PM
I must have missed that. From my memory he had an excellent battle with Kearney with both players playing well.

roy o donovan ran rings around him that night

Slash/ED
31/07/2005, 11:29 PM
Was he not up against Kearney? I have genuinley in all his time as a Shels player never seen anyone, including European matches, 'run rings around' Heary.

daveh
31/07/2005, 11:31 PM
That still woudnt have prevented roy from runnin rings around him :D

Éanna
31/07/2005, 11:31 PM
Was he not up against Kearney? I have genuinley in all his time as a Shels player never seen anyone, including European matches, 'run rings around' Heary.
he was up against kearney first, and then someone got injured, so he went to left back and Roy made a fool of him until he came off.

Pablo
31/07/2005, 11:33 PM
he was up against kearney first, and then someone got injured, so he went to left back and Roy made a fool of him until he came off.

one of the best things about that game was watching o donovan burn Heary for pace time, and time again

sweet

sullanefc
01/08/2005, 11:08 AM
While everyone on here respects Owen Heary and sees him as a very good player with great heart and spirit I think Neal Horgan has more ability in his left testicle. Heary is a one trick pony who continuously hoofs the ball. Thanks to Setanta and RTE, we have seen alot of Shels this season and Owen Heary is definitely not a better player than Neal Horgan.

Dyl10
01/08/2005, 12:06 PM
While everyone on here respects Owen Heary and sees him as a very good player with great heart and spirit I think Neal Horgan has more ability in his left testicle. Heary is a one trick pony who continuously hoofs the ball. Thanks to Setanta and RTE, we have seen alot of Shels this season and Owen Heary is definitely not a better player than Neal Horgan.

Totally disagree! Heary is a very very good solid player and i wonder if horgan would have done any better against the likes of Bucharest? I seriously doubt it

sullanefc
01/08/2005, 12:07 PM
Totally disagree! Heary is a very very good solid player and i wonder if horgan would have done any better against the likes of Bucharest? I seriously doubt it

Well the Djurgarden game will be a good test for him.

Peadar
01/08/2005, 12:10 PM
Anyone who leaves Joe Gamble out of their team hasn't been watching enough eircom League football this season!

Anto McC
01/08/2005, 12:11 PM

The Deportivo,Split and Steaua games were good tests for him and guess what,He passed with flying colours

sullanefc
01/08/2005, 12:14 PM
The Deportivo,Split and Steaua games were good tests for him and guess what,He passed with flying colours

Well that's my whole point. Heary is "a good SOLID player" but I think Neal is a better player.

superfrank
01/08/2005, 12:17 PM
Mine is:

Forde (Derry)
Heary (Shels)
Hutton (Derry)
Bennett (Cork)
Sandvliet (Drogs)
Kelly (Bohs)
O'Callaghan (Cork)
McCourt (Rovers/Derry)
Hoolahan (Shels)
Zayed (Bray)
Farren (Derry)

Manager: Stephen Kenny (Derry)

That's going on what I've seen this season.. ;)

Peadar
01/08/2005, 12:29 PM

It's "Team of the year so far" so you don't need to be including Heary, based on last seasons performances.

adamd164
01/08/2005, 12:30 PM
Wats your team of the season so far???
Here's mine:

................Delaney.............
Heary..Hutton..Doherty..Webb
...McCourt..Farrelly..Harkin.....
...Zayed..Farren..Foley.........
Not one Cork City player :rolleyes:

Anto McC
01/08/2005, 12:37 PM
It's "Team of the year so far" so you don't need to be including Heary, based on last seasons performances.

I'm not,i haven't drafted a team of the season yet.I was mearly pointing out to sullanefc.........

Peadar
01/08/2005, 12:42 PM
Not one Cork City player :rolleyes:

It's a stupid team anyway!
City would stomp all over a team like that.

Copa Mundial
01/08/2005, 12:49 PM
Forde (Derry)
Horgan (Cork) Incredibly consistent
Dillon (longford)
Delaney (Derry)
Murphy (cork)
Hoolhan (shels)
O Callaghan (Cork)
Gamble (cork)
Sandvliet (Drogs)
Farren (derry)
Mooney (Was Rovers)

Honourable mentions:
Murphy (Rovers GK)
Murray (Cork)
JP Kelly (Bohs)
Heary (Just not as consistent as Horgan)
Higgins (Derry)
Kearney (cork)
Leech (Drogs)
Fenn (cork)
Martyn (derry)
McCourt (derry). Unquestionable ability, but has a tendancy to 'go missing' in games.

yan
01/08/2005, 1:11 PM
devine

horgan
delaney
bennet
murphy

r baker
georgie
gamble
houlihan

zayed
farran

subs

d delaney
heary
mc court
o'donavan
o'flynn

Dyl10
01/08/2005, 1:14 PM

We will see but Djurgarden are hardly going to be of the same standard as Bucharest

1Davy
01/08/2005, 1:21 PM
Can't believe you have all igNored the best player in the league.

GARY BECKETT :confused:

superfrank
01/08/2005, 1:24 PM
Where could you put him? He's a good player but do you really think he's better then Farren, Zayed or Joxer?

What age is he now? 30??

Colie
01/08/2005, 1:26 PM
McDonnell (UCD) has to be in the centre. Possibility of on of the UCD centre halves getting in also.....

Dyl10
01/08/2005, 1:27 PM
Can't believe you have all igNored the best player in the league.

GARY BECKETT :confused:

Ha Ha Ha :D but that should be in the off-topic forum in the jokes thread :rolleyes:

sullanefc
01/08/2005, 1:32 PM
We will see but Djurgarden are hardly going to be of the same standard as Bucharest

True, but it's still going to be a tough test

De Town
01/08/2005, 2:07 PM
Dillon (longford)
finally someone else realises that Sean Dillon is one of the best centre halves in the league. Fair play to you Copa :ball: :)

OneRedArmy
01/08/2005, 2:19 PM
I don't know if there's is a players player of the year award in the EL but I suspect Gary Beckett wouldn't be too far away from it if there is.

As a matter of interest, how many times have you seen him play this season Dyl10?

LukeO
01/08/2005, 2:20 PM
.................. Zayed .................. Farren ...............

..... McCourt ...... Farrelly ...... O'Callaghan ..... Harkin

..... Frost? ....... Delaney ....... Bennett ..... Horgan

................................. Forde .................................

Honourable Mentions:

Tony McDonnell
Pizza Hutton
Joe Gamble
Ciarán Martyn
Barry Murphy
Kevin McHugh
Killian Brennan
John O'Flynn
Darragh Maguire
Wes Hoolahan
Sean Dillon
Jason Byrne
Simon Webb... c*nt ;)
Roy O'Donovan

I think Heary has been poor for Shels any time I have seen him this season, a shadow of the player he was last season. Roy O'Donovan's "Player of the Year, you're havin' a laugh" quip at his direction was a classic. I think Horgan is one of the most under rated players in the league despite dishing out solid performances week after week.

I don't think the league is blessed with many classy left-backs, so really I think its just a toss up between Murphy, Webb and Frost. So I've gone for Frost.

I've tried not to be biased in Bohs' favour, but I have included Harkin and Farrelly in the line-up as both have been sensational this season. Harkin has proved what I've been saying for years; he's twice the player Bobby Ryan ever was and ever will be. While Farrelly has really shown he is class above this league.

I heven't included Joxer or Foley at all. I think Joxer will be a class act for Bohs once Farrelly gives him the kick up the arse that he really needs. His age is no excuse for his imaturity. Foley on the other hand has really hit back at his critics (including yours truly) with his form over the last month or two. After scoring just once in 23 games he went on to score six in five games and is really looking a class act lately. His poor early season form for me rules him out of the line up at the moment. But if he continues with his present form, I would have no hestitation in including him in the future.

lofty9
01/08/2005, 3:18 PM
RE: GARY BECKETT

Ha Ha Ha :D but that should be in the off-topic forum in the jokes thread :rolleyes:

Dyl10 For your information I would have Gary Beckett up front ahead of any player in the league - his hold up and link play is better than anyone in this league. He creates so much space for others especially, Mark Farren and Ciaran Martyn with his running and has provided numerous chances for his teammates. Ask Heary/Hawkins/Rodgers and Crawley how they 'enjoy' playing against him, one of these shels players told me that he is the most underrated player in the league. He doesn't score many but he is similar in style to Bergkamp of Arsenal (of course not as good!) he does the same type of job for Derry. Until this year, all you had to do was stop him from playing and you stopped Derry City from scoring. With better players in the team that is no longer the case.

You have obviously seen the scoring rates of Gary and unfairly presumed he is no good. You just haven't watched him.

To quote Stephen Kenny "When I arrived here, I underestimated his technical ability. I knew he was a good player, I just didn’t know he was this good.” (Irish Daily Mirror 13/06/05)

At the minute I can't argue with Mr Kenny.

Dyl10
01/08/2005, 4:58 PM
True, but it's still going to be a tough test

No doubt it will and hopefully Cork come out on top

Dyl10
01/08/2005, 5:03 PM
RE: GARY BECKETT

Dyl10 For your information I would have Gary Beckett up front ahead of any player in the league - his hold up and link play is better than anyone in this league. He creates so much space for others especially, Mark Farren and Ciaran Martyn with his running and has provided numerous chances for his teammates. Ask Heary/Hawkins/Rodgers and Crawley how they 'enjoy' playing against him, one of these shels players told me that he is the most underrated player in the league. He doesn't score many but he is similar in style to Bergkamp of Arsenal (of course not as good!) he does the same type of job for Derry. Until this year, all you had to do was stop him from playing and you stopped Derry City from scoring. With better players in the team that is no longer the case.

You have obviously seen the scoring rates of Gary and unfairly presumed he is no good. You just haven't watched him.

To quote Stephen Kenny "When I arrived here, I underestimated his technical ability. I knew he was a good player, I just didn’t know he was this good.” (Irish Daily Mirror 13/06/05)

At the minute I can't argue with Mr Kenny.

There is no doubt in my mind that he is a very good player but the type of player you have described above sounds exactly like Neale fenn(Very creative playmaker forward type) but there is not a hope in the world that you will convince me that Beckett has been better than fenn this year and not to mention all the other strikers who do score regularly!