First Division

Friday 19:45

Cobh v Bray
Wexford v Cork
Waterford v Longford
Athlone v Galway

sbgawa
22/07/2022, 7:00 AM
Europe is a distraction from the League , great results last night from Sligo and Pats but here we are again with points for sale.
Cn Harps do us a favour in Dundalk tonight? UCD may fancy getting something off Shels after a great win up in Sligo.
Worried about the Drogheda game, they are on a good run of form recently and Rovers may play a weakish side , personally i would play a strong side as the Euro tie is over and we need to plan for the Europa league and keep the gap to Derry.

In the first division Galway will be hoping Cork drop points to a decent wexford side and Bray will look to continue a slight upturn in form by winning in Cobh.
Waterford Longford is probably the tie of this round of games, Longford are in danger of dropping back into the pack and Waterford just cant slip up anymore to keep even a faint barely alive hope of catching Cork/Galway

brendy_éire
22/07/2022, 11:07 AM
Europe is a distraction from the League , great results last night from Sligo and Pats but here we are again with points for sale.
Cn Harps do us a favour in Dundalk tonight? UCD may fancy getting something off Shels after a great win up in Sligo.
Worried about the Drogheda game, they are on a good run of form recently and Rovers may play a weakish side , personally i would play a strong side as the Euro tie is over and we need to plan for the Europa league and keep the gap to Derry.

I don't think you've to worry about that gap.
Drogs form is just ok, and at Tallaght, it should be a handy enough home win. Will be interesting to see what side is put out, if Rovers essentially give up on the CL match or not.

Dundalk should comfortably beat Harps, it's only Derry who like to make a meal of beating them. Agree that UCD will be fancying themselves tonight, great chance to get off the bottom of the table.

Finlay Harp
22/07/2022, 2:55 PM
It will be miraculous if Harps get anything out of tonight. The nature of Sundays defeat still ****es me off.

joey B
22/07/2022, 6:56 PM
We’re a complete joke

DCSIL
22/07/2022, 7:27 PM
Get rid of him whilst you can Joey. Give yourself a chance

The Bowler
22/07/2022, 7:29 PM
Ollie is done, great bloke, but Harps are beyond shocking. UCD are going to get a play off game they could never have believed possible

SeanDrog
22/07/2022, 7:51 PM
We’re a complete joke

Is Kevin McHugh an option to take over?

joey B
22/07/2022, 7:55 PM
Is Kevin McHugh an option to take over?

I’d doubt it ,he runs the academy,works a full time job and has a family,I’m not sure who’d take over tbh…

SeanDrog
22/07/2022, 7:57 PM
I’d doubt it ,he runs the academy,works a full time job and has a family,I’m not sure who’d take over tbh…

I always thought him a class act and heard he is doing great with the academy.

The Bowler
22/07/2022, 8:03 PM
Jaysus, Bray are worse than Harps. Devo out, FFS

pineapple stu
22/07/2022, 8:05 PM
Another game, another utterly stupid penalty from us. Not sure why we even tried to appeal that; clear red and all.

SeanDrog
22/07/2022, 8:24 PM
Another game, another utterly stupid penalty from us. Not sure why we even tried to appeal that; clear red and all.

I still feel it’s just a matter of when rather than if UCD overtake Harps.

The Bowler
22/07/2022, 8:27 PM
Stu, make no mistake, our skipper has been a sack of sh1t in midfield for years, and the idea that he might be any better at centre back is comical. We dont have any other centre backs because they all left the club in the window. But because Harps are so ****, this regime will masquerade as having some actual achievements. The people running the club answer to absolutely nobody. They have no player recruitment policy other than players from 18 other academies who want to combine educational and football and rock up every year via the CAO process. Myler has destroyed the ethos of this club.l, and his paymaster have had it far too easy for far too long.

kksaints
22/07/2022, 8:46 PM
Enjoyed watching the Athlone-Galway game on LOITV. Very good presentation and decent commentary, one of the better first division streams I've seen. Match was good and Athlone can feel somewhat hard done by the ref. Didn't give them a fairly clear penalty for a handball and allowed a clear handball set up Galway's third. Based on that match you wouldn't think Athlone have struggled so much for results. Hickey and McBride in particular looked very useful. Galway were the usually stodgy John Caulfield side, not particularly impressive to watch but fairly solid and he did get the subs correct as Lomboto stretched Athlone with his pace and finished well for Galway's second. Commentators thought he might have been offside but it looked level on the replay.

nigel-harps1954
22/07/2022, 9:10 PM
Pretty much just given up at this stage.

We are crap.

The Bowler
22/07/2022, 9:18 PM
Pretty much just given up at this stage.

We are crap. sorry for your troubles Nigel, guess we will see you in 1st Division next year

nigel-harps1954
22/07/2022, 9:19 PM
sorry for your troubles Nigel, guess we will see you in 1st Division next year

Don't try and make this even worse for me.

total hoofball
22/07/2022, 9:32 PM
Wretched first half of football at the Bowl from both sides before UCD lost their heads early in the 2nd half handing us a deserved 3 points in the end

total hoofball
22/07/2022, 9:34 PM
Shoutout to Pat Devlin for a huge achievement transforming Bray Wanderers into a Cabinteely version of Bray Wanderers who are actually somehow worse than Cabinteely

culloty82
22/07/2022, 9:42 PM
If Harps and Kerry were to meet next year, you're looking at a 411km (257 mile) journey that would take 4hrs 51 minutes without a break, according to Routefinder!

https://www3.theaa.ie/routes/#/r/1+Woodlands,Oakpark,Tralee,Co.+Kerry,V92+XK1K,Irel and/Ballybofey,County+Donegal,Ireland/

nigel-harps1954
22/07/2022, 10:23 PM
If Harps and Kerry were to meet next year, you're looking at a 411km (257 mile) journey that would take 4hrs 51 minutes without a break, according to Routefinder!

https://www3.theaa.ie/routes/#/r/1+Woodlands,Oakpark,Tralee,Co.+Kerry,V92+XK1K,Irel and/Ballybofey,County+Donegal,Ireland/

Circa 350-400km trips, potentially, to all of Kerry, Cobh, Waterford and Wexford.

D24Saint
22/07/2022, 10:57 PM
Cracking individual goal from Carr. Overall it was forgettable game. It could be argued that the ref was harsh with a peno and a red card. I thought a peno and a yellow would have been sufficient.

pineapple stu
22/07/2022, 11:22 PM
He was making no attempt to play the ball; I think the red was fair. Three or four tugs at the guy till he went down.

That said, just after seeing a photo of the incident in first half injury time where the Shels keeper connected with studs to our player's face and still won a free out. I hate using photos to judge fouls, but it's hard to see how this is anything other than a penalty tbh. That obviously changes the game.

https://inpho.ie/cache/inpho/30/5a/24/03cb0f66213f3a06103bfa2bee750ac51a77a88d7a/INPHO_02066230.jpg

"UCD’s Dónal Higgins is kicked in the face by Brendan Clarke of Shelbourne" is Sportsfile's caption

ontheotherhand
22/07/2022, 11:40 PM
He was making no attempt to play the ball; I think the red was fair. Three or four tugs at the guy till he went down.

That said, just after seeing a photo of the incident in first half injury time where the Shels keeper connected with studs to our player's face and still won a free out. I hate using photos to judge fouls, but it's hard to see how this is anything other than a penalty tbh. That obviously changes the game.

https://inpho.ie/cache/inpho/30/5a/24/03cb0f66213f3a06103bfa2bee750ac51a77a88d7a/INPHO_02066230.jpg

"UCD’s Dónal Higgins is kicked in the face by Brendan Clarke of Shelbourne" is Sportsfile's caption

We call that a Gaffney round here.

joey B
22/07/2022, 11:49 PM

Keepers get away with murder,always have.....

Jack B
23/07/2022, 12:10 AM
It's one of those things that is prevalent worldwide in football and not just specific to our own league's poor officiating. I remember in the 2014 World Cup final Neuer claimed a high ball and recklessly cleaned out Higuain in the process...only to win a free kick. Appreciate that keepers do need a degree more protection than outfield players for obvious reasons but we're off the deep end when you can stud an opponent in the face and come away with a free out.

trevy
23/07/2022, 8:02 AM
2nd home defeat ina row at the RSC. Waterford looked in control after a good goal from Shane Griffin but Wassim Aouchria sent off just before half time for a nothing incident going by the clips later. Longford player clearly made a meal of it as was little or no contact. Longford were fouling all the 2nd half picking up 6 yellow cards but no reds even for a rugby tackle from behind on Phoenix Patterson as he ran towards goal near the end. Longford equalized with 5 minutes to go and grabbed a winner in last minute of injury time from a corner. Fans were furious with the referee Paul Norton and a lot of fans were saying it was the worst refereeing they had seen in their years going to games.

Nesta99
23/07/2022, 8:14 AM
From that photo Im finding it hard to figure out under what circumstances that is not dangerous play etc and whatever sanctions go with. It's not like its seems like both are contesting the ball. Its actually looks like one of those spot the ball competitions where the ball has be airbrushed out.

Bunny Kelly
23/07/2022, 8:29 AM
2nd home defeat ina row at the RSC. Waterford looked in control after a good goal from Shane Griffin but Wassim Aouchria sent off just before half time for a nothing incident going by the clips later. Longford player clearly made a meal of it as was little or no contact. Longford were fouling all the 2nd half picking up 6 yellow cards but no reds even for a rugby tackle from behind on Phoenix Patterson as he ran towards goal near the end. Longford equalized with 5 minutes to go and grabbed a winner in last minute of injury time from a corner. Fans were furious with the referee Paul Norton and a lot of fans were saying it was the worst refereeing they had seen in their years going to games.

While I agree with a lot of this & thought Waterford should have had a pen in 2nd half which ref gave outside, I still think Waterford were the architects of their own downfall by sitting so deep in the 2nd half. I know they were a man down but having been so comfortable in the first half there was no need to be afraid of Longford, early days but after Wexford game & now this I'd be concerned by the new managers in game tactical adjustments already

total hoofball
23/07/2022, 1:39 PM
From that photo Im finding it hard to figure out under what circumstances that is not dangerous play etc and whatever sanctions go with. It's not like its seems like both are contesting the ball. Its actually looks like one of those spot the ball competitions where the ball has be airbrushed out.
Yeah only of the two were contesting the ball and it was only Clarke, foul awarded against Higgins for rushing into Clarke while he is up in air catching the ball, such a nothing incident it's not even put on the highlights

Cracking shot captured by the photographer on all levels that we get five posts on foot.ie calling it a penalty in favour of the perpetrator on a photo without any context

sbgawa
23/07/2022, 2:02 PM
Rovers look asleep

Shinkicker
23/07/2022, 2:59 PM
Rovers look asleep
Put paint on the wall its almost dry

SeanDrog
23/07/2022, 3:02 PM
Rovers 1-1 Drogs

Delighted with another point - ref was poor but what’s new.

14 points clear now and next league match can Harps .

Onwards to the Cup match next week.

joey B
23/07/2022, 3:06 PM
Great cross and header for Rovers but a good point for Drogs,a resilient bunch this year,everything we’re not….

Louth4sam
23/07/2022, 3:11 PM
Thought Drogheda were very good in the second half and well worth their point. Doherty doing an excellent job there and has them very difficult to score against.

Dundalk will never close the gap due to our poor away form and Derry are very inconsistent but it at least keeps things interesting for another few weeks

Calcio Jack
23/07/2022, 3:25 PM
Classic Euro hangover display by Rovers and we were a shales in first half - Drogs well organised and wouldn’t begrudge them their point - although the immature behaviour of Evan Weir was simply an embarrassment between his blatant attempt to wind up Rover’s fans in Sth stand after scoring , stupidity of getting sent off and finally his further attempt at winding up Rovers players and fans when leaving the pitch - I guess today was his Andy Warhol 15 mins of fame so he wanted to milk it

Straightstory
23/07/2022, 3:54 PM
Well deserved draw for Drogs despite determination of officials to give Rovers three points. No idea what sending off was about; ball looked out of play before cross for Rovers' goal. Shams looked sluggish after their thrashing in Bulgaria.

placid casual
23/07/2022, 4:18 PM
Well deserved draw for Drogs despite determination of officials to give Rovers three points. No idea what sending off was about; ball looked out of play before cross for Rovers' goal. Shams looked sluggish after their thrashing in Bulgaria.
LOI refs are a malignancy on the league due to their embarrassing ineptitude.
Rovers were woeful and made a spirited, limited drogs look decent.
Rovers will win the league this year but only because there is no quality teams in the league, but I don't expect Rovers to play anything but the minimum number of European games this season. The 1st team badly needs some revitalisation and new, young blood.

Nesta99
23/07/2022, 4:38 PM

You dont seem too pleased all the same!

Calcio Jack
23/07/2022, 4:39 PM
The refs worst decision today amongst many was in first half- Greene just outside the box took ball past your keeper and had an open goal ; and keeper then took him out and ref gave nothing when it should of been a ref- unless you believe that Greene decided to fall over having taken the ball past the keeper -

Shinkicker
23/07/2022, 5:11 PM
Classic Euro hangover display by Rovers and we were a shales in first half - Drogs well organised and wouldn’t begrudge them their point - although the immature behaviour of Evan Weir was simply an embarrassment between his blatant attempt to wind up Rover’s fans in Sth stand after scoring , stupidity of getting sent off and finally his further attempt at winding up Rovers players and fans when leaving the pitch - I guess today was his Andy Warhol 15 mins of fame so he wanted to milk it
The sending off was a poor decision on the refs part. In fact it was shocking. The player Weir dint do anything a rovers player would do in the same situation. In fact if a rovers player did it you would be singing his praises. When it's against you it hurts.. Doesn't it!!

Kiki Balboa
23/07/2022, 5:13 PM
If Drogheda don't win a game from now till the end of the season, they would still be safe.

(Says more about UCD and Harps than anything).

Nesta99
23/07/2022, 5:26 PM
LOI refs are a malignancy on the league due to their embarrassing ineptitude.
Rovers were woeful and made a spirited, limited drogs look decent.
Rovers will win the league this year but only because there is no quality teams in the league, but I don't expect Rovers to play anything but the minimum number of European games this season. The 1st team badly needs some revitalisation and new, young blood.

A rarity for post by ye that I actually agree with. Not expecting too much in Europe is always prudent for any LoI side but before an ECL opposition is definite I dont think it can be called yet. The 2nd half during the week gives a grain of hope for EL or ECL games. Feck sakes sure Sligo out of the blue have given an inkling of hope.
Refereeing will be mediocre probably for as long as my days, a mix of poor senior refs mentoring younger refs will perpetuate the standard, wider issues discouraging people from refereeing adds in to the mix. Until refs are a full time setup we really just have to suck it up and if they are equally bad for all there is something of a balance while very frustrating. As football fans we tend to mostly note poor decisions against our own clubs but tbh there are now plenty of times there is general bemusement at decisions in an entire crowd.
Seeing those worsening FAI finances today we wont be seeing improved refs' payment or training systems investment. Alternative solutions??? maybe some sort of regular exchange with other associations as part of ref education could be worked out. Guest refs wouldnt be totally alien especially for cup games in the past so why not!?
I think being careful what you wish for is could be relevant as at times some of the decisions in Europe just boggle the mind. Duffy's perfectly good goal in Tallaght against Vitesse being ruled out is a most recent example for me.

From my earliest days of going to Oriel there was a Bleh! Its Dublin a ref so will be biased attitude (older Dundalk fans will remember Mrs McGelliott rollicking them from the side lines and then down the tunnel after, worth the admittance alone!). On one occasion the ref got injured so hometown ref Denis 'Dinny' McArdle stepped in and was spectacular at making sure he could not be accused of home town refereeing!!! Cant recall the opposition but I do remember thinking Jeez, refs just cant win.

joey B
23/07/2022, 5:28 PM
If Drogheda don't win a game from now till the end of the season, they would still be safe.

(Says more about UCD and Harps than anything).

At least UCD have an excuse,we’re so terrible yet still very lucky UCDs 2 best players have departed otherwise we’d be long gone before the season was over,we’ll probably lose to UCD in a couple of weeks so it might be settled quick enough….

Calcio Jack
23/07/2022, 6:27 PM
The sending off was a poor decision on the refs part. In fact it was shocking. The player Weir dint do anything a rovers player would do in the same situation. In fact if a rovers player did it you would be singing his praises. When it's against you it hurts.. Doesn't it!!

If a Rovers player scored away from home and went to the celebrate the way Weir did in front of the home section I’d be disappointed - if the same player then went and got a second yellow in a stupid manner and then again tried to wind up the away fans whilst walking off I’d think he’s an idiot - so didn’t hurt ( what ‘hurt’ today is how poor we were) but was just pointing out how stupid immature his behaviour was and I assume now he’ll be suspended your manager will as think the same

Nesta99
23/07/2022, 10:39 PM
There hasnt been much of that antagonistic stuff from players this season has there? Drogheda fans' celebrations after beating Dundalk was a bit ott but not players. Sounds like an experienced Rovers player got under the skin with some sledging which is par for the course as long as it doesnt cross certain lines.

DCWA
23/07/2022, 11:33 PM
there is no quality teams in the league

Thank god someone else has now said it!

L.T.F.C.
23/07/2022, 11:44 PM

Easy for me to say as a Town man but there wasn't remotely enough incidents in the game for it to be one of the worst refereeing performances this season, nevermind years.
Aouchria shouldn't have been sent off, correct there. Nothing incident.
Verdon was fouled in the box and should have had a penalty.
Wouldn't necessarily be too concerned with six yellows either, Longford didn't do anything to deserve a red.
Robinson got a yellow for the incident with Aouchria. Corbally shouldn't have got a yellow as it was tight a free kick to be honest. Barker got a yellow for kicking the corner flag. I don't remember McMenamy's or Adeyemo's so I can't say for certain, let's say they were nailed on yellows. Chamber's rugby tackle is simply a yellow card no matter what you think of it.
Great win for Town, especially after Waterford's late equaliser last time in RSC.

ontheotherhand
24/07/2022, 3:31 AM
Thank god someone else has now said it!

How did you know for a fact that Derry were the only good side a few months back if they weren't playing any quality teams?