PDA

View Full Version : City chants at U21 game

Colm
27/03/2002, 5:56 PM
Wasnt it great to hear all the city chants at last nights match. They must have outnumbered the Ireland chants, and may have encouraged the sunshine supporters to come to more games, of course they probabley thought we were chanting for Man city!!!!

Snatch
27/03/2002, 7:11 PM
What City chants were sung?

What Irish chants were sung?

Was it only in the Shed?

dalo
28/03/2002, 7:52 AM
i saw the goals on rte yesterday - it looked fab and a full house aswell. go on joe gamble:)

patsh
28/03/2002, 8:00 AM
It's a pity City cannot get crowds of even half the size of Tuesday's gate. The Shed were in good voice, they were the only ones who made any noise at all, and the flag from the CCISA, the one with the boots, looked good.
I was standing in front of the Shed, but listening to some of the comments around me was pretty depressing. Some people were asking who were "City" and what were thre flags for. A lot of people know absolutely nothing about the eL, and it really is time a long hard look was taken at the whole thing with a view to getting a credible league up and running, and then publicising it properly....:(

dalo
28/03/2002, 8:30 AM
Originally posted by oddboy
I was standing in front of the Shed, but listening to some of the comments around me was pretty depressing. Some people were asking who were "City" and what were thre flags for.

You serious jesus c***!!!!!! Were these cork people or little kids reared on a diet of sky sports and replica man u tops.

even my girlfreinds sister called city fans a bunch of skangers and I asked her how does she know if she never been to the cross or a city game? just shows peoples perceptions.....

ccfcman
28/03/2002, 9:27 AM
they'll all be at the u19 match then never to be seen again

patsh
28/03/2002, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by dalo
You serious jesus c***!!!!!! Were these cork people or little kids reared on a diet of sky sports and replica man u tops.
Most were men who were between 20 to 40, I'd guess. A guy was asking me if I knew the names of some of the players, ( I only knew a couple..:o ), and we got talking about the lights etc, and it was the first time he had ever been in Turner's Cross and was surprised that there were seats, stands etc. I asked him would he ever come to a City match, but when I told him the usual time matches were on, he said maybe, but not if he would miss out on the "big games on Sky". I said what if the games were on a Friday night and he was fairly non-commital. BTW, "his" team were Arsenal....:(

dalo
28/03/2002, 1:05 PM
Originally posted by oddboy
Most were men who were between 20 to 40, I'd guess. A guy was asking me if I knew the names of some of the players, ( I only knew a couple..:o ), and we got talking about the lights etc, and it was the first time he had ever been in Turner's Cross and was surprised that there were seats, stands etc. I asked him would he ever come to a City match, but when I told him the usual time matches were on, he said maybe, but not if he would miss out on the "big games on Sky". I said what if the games were on a Friday night and he was fairly non-commital. BTW, "his" team were Arsenal....:(

it's enough to make your blood boil isn't it. these are the people who slag off ccfc and the national yet not only have they ever attended a ccfc game but they have never been cross-channel either to see "their team". sky matches are merely a easy option to guys who also would stay in to watch fair city or corrie eg. couch potatoes disguised as footie fans. arrghhh:mad:

Éanna
28/03/2002, 1:06 PM
"You meet somebody in the street who can knowledgeably compare the difficulty of the run-ins of the English contenders but doesn't know who's playing at Dalymount today, and that's not a football fan, that's a fashion victim. One day there'll be therapeutic groups for them"
- eamonn mccann.
I think we should base a tv commerical on that! People's ignorance can be utterly sickening. It's the whole "eL is sh!t" "How do you know?!" "IT JUST IS" argument! It makes my blood boil!

niamh
28/03/2002, 1:07 PM
Was class to see the Cross like that. The floodlights looked awesome...really amazing as did the crowd. The St. Anne's End was particularly good looking...for once something Eircom League related looked good this year. Even non eL fans were saying it to me...

Éanna
28/03/2002, 1:48 PM
what city chants were sung?

JC_GUFC
28/03/2002, 2:08 PM
Originally posted by niamh
Even non eL fans were saying it to me...

Just 'cause I've missed the last 3 United games doesn't make me a non-EL fan!!!!!! ;)

CU
JC

Colm
28/03/2002, 4:54 PM
Originally posted by Éanna
what city chants were sung? The usual ones, "city", "the fields", "we love you city", "you are my Colin patrick O' Brien", "ollie c c c", "f*ck the dubs","city till i die". The funny thing is that far more people joined in in the city chants.It also looked good with the ccisa flag and the corner boys flag hanging at the back of the shed. After the game i asked a few of the corner boys if they were back in the shed for good,they said they werent which I think is a pity becuse they do add to the atmosphere and I feel it is better when the city fans are united in one area of the ground.

Snatch
28/03/2002, 8:01 PM
I know the Box isn't City's ground and we are not hosting the u19 game and also that it is the end of the season but wouldn't be a good idea to have a decent advertising drive about City matches at the upcoming u19 game.

Proper Posters, fliers, article and ads in the programme and announcement at half time etc. Gunther could go around the ground giving out lolly pops for example!

These are valuable oppertunities to recruit new supporters like the so-called Arsenal fan mentioned above.

Éanna
29/03/2002, 1:37 PM
Originally posted by Snatch
Gunther could go around the ground giving out lolly pops for example!
he'd scare too many children!:D Seriously though, that is the kind of thing city should be doing- the fans did their part by singing city songs, now its up to the club. Hopefully this is the kind of thing lennox will take the initiative on.

GavinZac
30/03/2002, 11:46 AM
:D "Go on Ollie" whenever someone ran with the ball!

Lets keep this up and at future ROI matches let the newcomers know that theres matches more often than every 4 or 5 months:)

Éanna
30/03/2002, 1:33 PM
spot on Gavin. Many people are just totally unaware/ignorant of city's existence, and in some cases only a few games might turn them into city nuts- thats what happened me anyway!

GavinZac
30/03/2002, 8:15 PM
yeah, i can remember 7 years ago, being dragged along to a City - Rovers match by my mates brother.

the next week i dragged about 16 people to the match! only 3 of us still go though, and the other two are getting reluctant :(

but thats still 3 extra fans. and if 3 extra fans from every park in Cork would be at matches in 7 years time, I'll be happy

Éanna
31/03/2002, 1:31 PM
yeah it's the old thing of, if everyone could bring one friend.

niamh
02/04/2002, 9:08 AM
If everyone could bring a friend that stayed and supported...

patsh
02/04/2002, 9:36 AM
The thing is though, do any of you have a friend?....:D

ccfcman
02/04/2002, 10:04 AM
a group of 4 or 5 of us go together and we join in every chant. but recently the rest of em have left me(im in the shed) for derrynane, sighting that there's a better atmoshere there!

Éanna
02/04/2002, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by ccfcman
that there's a better atmoshere there!
OMG :o Whats the world coming to?!

Colm
02/04/2002, 12:42 PM
[B recently the rest of em have left me(im in the shed) for derrynane, sighting that there's a better atmoshere there! [/B] Who are these dillusional people?!!!!!

ccfcman
04/04/2002, 8:47 AM
truth be told there is a better view from around half way

dysan
04/04/2002, 9:49 AM
Some of the Chants sung had no place there, the 'real' fans were singing the 'Fields of Bishopstown', but unfortunately they were being drowned out by the Athenry version with the IRA references thrown in .

I'm suprised no one has mentioned the bottle throwing incidents, do we really want to be associated with these idiots or have them attend CCFC games ?

Colm
04/04/2002, 1:52 PM
Yes there were a couple of bottles thrown, but id say that was only by a couple of scumbags who never attended a city game in their lives. They soon stopped throwing stuff though when Moses turned around giving out about it. The city fans dont condone that kind of thugery. It was also only a couple of non-city fan scumbags who were adding the IRA bit to the fields.

ccfcman
04/04/2002, 1:54 PM
they were quickly ejected against their own will

Colm
04/04/2002, 2:17 PM
they were quickly ejected against their own will And will be again in the future, we dont want idiots like that giving us loyal city fans a bad name. Its one thing singing abusive chants at the opposition, but throwing bottles or other objects is not on. Again, it was not city fans.

ccfcman
04/04/2002, 3:22 PM
damn straight