View Full Version : Promising Rovers star ordered for deportation

Pages : [1] 2

Ringo
17/07/2005, 7:09 AM
Promising Rovers star ordered for deportation

Sunday July 17th 2005

CHARLIE MALLON

EXCLUSIVE

SHAMROCK ROVERS football club, backed by a Fianna Fail TD, has launched a campaign to stop the deportation to Nigeria of one of its most promising footballers, the Sunday Independent can reveal.

Just days after putting together a rescue package for the struggling club, supporters, backed by the players and manager Roddy Collins, are trying to stop Justice Minister Michael McDowell sending midfielder Bernard Daniel back to Nigeria.

The 19-year-old, who played in Rovers' 2-0 defeat by Derry City in the Eircom League on Friday night, had recently finished his Leaving Certificate and had been promised "guaranteed employment" at Rovers.

But the player, known as Benny, has been told to report to the Garda Immigration Bureau on Wednesday.

The deportation decision has angered not only Rovers, but also college authorities, a church pastor, youth organisations and local Fianna Fail TD Charlie O'Connor.

Yesterday Benny was again on the football pitch, playing for Rovers reserves in Bray, and afterwards he told the Sunday Independent that he wished to stay here.

The player said he sought asylum in Ireland after being persecuted in his home country. He said: "I came here because of religious persecution by Muslim extremists in the north of my country. I got out with a fellow called JP who brought me here through France.

"I did not know what the process was and I did not know I was coming here. Now I really don't know what to do. I'm just counting on Mr O'Connor and the other people to help me.

"But I will have to turn up on Wednesday - and I don't know if I will be sent back then or later."

The teenager arrived in Ireland on November 3, 2003, and claimed asylum two days later. Rovers manager Mr Collins has given Benny his full backing in the player's fight to stay in his adopted homeland.

"He played schoolboy here at first and we processed his application and paperwork," Mr Collins said.

"I spotted his potential and played him a few times last year and he has been on the first team or reserves this season.

"He's a great kid. He has just finished his Leaving Cert and he has integrated well with everybody. We call him 'Paddy' because he is one of us and we thought he would get citizenship.

"He is guaranteed employment here. But he rang me in tears on Friday morning and said he was to be deported in five days."

The Rovers boss asked Benny if he wanted to be excused from the team that played Derry City last Friday night, but he wanted to play.

However, the manager decided that in the circumstances, Benny should be on the bench and brought him on for only the closing minutes of the team's 2-0 defeat.

Charlie O'Connor, Fianna Fail TD for Tallaght, said: "The Minister has made an order for his deportation and he is to report on Wednesday to the garda authorities.

"But I would make a special appeal to the Minister to allow him to remain here.

"I met the young lad last night with Roddy Collins and I can say this is a genuine case, a special case. Here is a young lad trying to make a new life for himself.

"I have had lots of calls supporting him and I have made representations to Minister McDowell through his private secretary and I hope to get some word back on Monday."

Mr O'Connor added that those who had given written support for Benny's bid to stay included the entire Shamrock Rovers team, including captain Trevor Molloy, the manager, the youth development officer, Dundrum College, Foroige, Pastor John Ofasan of a local Gospel Mission and the Staircase Hostel where he used to live.

© Irish Independent
http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/ & http://www.unison.ie/

Anto McC
17/07/2005, 9:01 AM
Jaysus,things just go from bad to worse for Rovers

pete
17/07/2005, 10:04 AM
Its harsh but they are just enforcing the law. Can't have one law for some & one for others that have publicity behind them.

Irish people are extreme hypocrites as we vote in laws but will do u-turns the first sign of a hard luck story...

Ringo
17/07/2005, 10:52 AM
Its harsh but they are just enforcing the law. Can't have one law for some & one for others that have publicity behind them.

Irish people are extreme hypocrites as we vote in laws but will do u-turns the first sign of a hard luck story...

I'm sure plenty of promising chefs etc have been deported, his job shouln't change the situation.Maybe Roddys friends in England or louis Copeland could help out :p

Ringo
17/07/2005, 11:44 AM
You're right, his job shouldn't matter. No immigrants should be deported full stop.

That would be great :rolleyes:

superfrank
17/07/2005, 12:09 PM
He probably won't go. Remember that kid who was doing his Leaving but got deported before he could do it. The students made a big fuss and he was allowed back and did his Leaving.

Derek
17/07/2005, 12:10 PM
You're right, his job shouldn't matter. No immigrants should be deported full stop.

And nothing should happen tax dodgers, fraudsters and liars, hold on a minute! Nothing does happen to them, well if they are from the Rovers anyway. :rolleyes:

pete
17/07/2005, 8:12 PM

Its like the Referendum that majority of irish voted for but then change their mind when see bleeding heart story in the media.

I'm not saying either side or right but the law is the law.

I think he should be allowed to return home to Nigeria but would be allowed to apply for a work visa & should probably get as has job with Rovers lined up.

CollegeTillIDie
17/07/2005, 8:21 PM
Its like the Referendum that majority of irish voted for but then change their mind when see bleeding heart story in the media.

I'm not saying either side or right but the law is the law.

I think he should be allowed to return home to Nigeria but would be allowed to apply for a work visa & should probably get as has job with Rovers lined up.

There is something called Voluntary repatriation which is not the same as being deported as it is open to you to apply for a visa and return to Ireland at a future date.

sligoman
17/07/2005, 10:26 PM
No immigrants should be deported full stop.

Yes, that makes total sense :rolleyes:

EireBadBoy
18/07/2005, 2:07 AM
Yes, that makes total sense :rolleyes:

Indeed it does, taken at face value. WE, Irish people, are still immigrating in vast numbers throughout the World as WE have been doing for hundreds of years, what if we started to get refused entry to America, Australia, Spain, France, England and wherever else we land ourselves? You would start the aul crying then about 'Poor Paddy'.

The yungfla is handy at playing Football, what odds where he is from? It's not like he is stealing a Job, fer gawds sake!!

Mebbe if Nigerians' started opening up Nigerian Pubs with all the Nigerian craic it would be more acceptable? Sure the World would love them then, bring all the Nigerians over, make the Nigerian Pubs as authentic as possible, stroppy Nigerians working for pish money as long as they get a Holiday.

Ringo
18/07/2005, 6:31 AM
Irish people working in the EU or America is totally different to this situation. This man is claiming his life is in danger. He is entitled to claim asylum in the first country he land in. There are no direct flights to Ireland from Nigeria, so he obviously landed in another country first. His claims have been looked into & investigated and the authorities are unable to substantiate his claims. You can’t change the rules because he’s a football player.

Macy
18/07/2005, 7:49 AM
Irish people working in the EU or America is totally different to this situation. This man is claiming his life is in danger. He is entitled to claim asylum in the first country he land in. There are no direct flights to Ireland from Nigeria, so he obviously landed in another country first. His claims have been looked into & investigated and the authorities are unable to substantiate his claims. You can’t change the rules because he’s a football player.
How is it different? The only difference to the irish situation is the colour of his skin. This government is quite happy to go and argue for green cards for the Irish in the USA whilst at the same time proposing and enforcing racist laws in this country.

I dispair at the attitude of us as a nation to immigrants, considering that the thousands of ecomonic emigrants exported from these shores right up to the 90's.

Ringo
18/07/2005, 9:20 AM
How is it different? The only difference to the irish situation is the colour of his skin. This government is quite happy to go and argue for green cards for the Irish in the USA whilst at the same time proposing and enforcing racist laws in this country.

I dispair at the attitude of us as a nation to immigrants, considering that the thousands of ecomonic emigrants exported from these shores right up to the 90's.

Oh yes we're all racist :rolleyes: What has skin colour got to do with it. Eastern Europeans are being deported too. The laws aren't racist, that’s a ridiculous statement. How are they racist? Why isn’t the UN stepping in? Like any country we’re enforcing sensible laws.

Macy
18/07/2005, 9:26 AM
But how is it different from the Irish in America or anywhere else? The only difference is it's "them" coming to live amongst "us".

sligoman
18/07/2005, 9:27 AM
Oh yes we're all racist :rolleyes: What has skin colour got to do with it. Eastern Europeans are being deported too. The laws aren't racist, that’s a ridiculous statement. How are they racist? Why isn’t the UN stepping in? Like any country we’re enforcing sensible laws.

Exactly, as soon as anything is said about Nigerians, or Africans in general, it's alway's brought up that your a racist. You cant just dislike them, it has to be cos your a racist :rolleyes:

sligoman
18/07/2005, 9:28 AM
But how is it different from the Irish in America or anywhere else? The only difference is it's "them" coming to live amongst "us".

It's different because when Irish people went to America, Australia etc. they worked and were willing to work. These people are happy to come over here and get a load of stuff handed to them without even thinking of getting a job

Macy
18/07/2005, 9:31 AM
It's different because when Irish people went to America, Australia etc. they worked and were willing to work. These people are happy to come over here and get a load of stuff handed to them without even thinking of getting a job
I'm not a racist, but..... :rolleyes:

sligoman
18/07/2005, 9:33 AM
I'm not a racist, but..... :rolleyes:

No no dont give me that ****e, I'm not racist, no but. It's the same to any other nation not just the ones where the majority are coloured. Dont try and call me racist cos I'm not :mad: .

Billy Lord
18/07/2005, 9:37 AM
If you `don't like' an entire nation, you are a racist!

sligoman
18/07/2005, 9:38 AM

Right yeah, whatever Billy :rolleyes:

superfrank
18/07/2005, 9:40 AM
They are not allowed work. They have to seek asylum first, then if they get it they're allowed work. Most of them have to wait years to find out they can't stay. It's a ridiculous system. :mad:

Billy Lord
18/07/2005, 9:40 AM
And sure everyone knows about the lazy, drunken, backward Irish. They look like apes with freckles, and can't speak English properly.

Macy
18/07/2005, 9:41 AM
Well you doing a good impression with your lazy arsed "facts" about immigrants. I mean, it's not like there's irish that work the system here, never mind the UK or elsewhere.... Ignoring the fact that many of them aren't allowed to work anyway.

Edit - phone call mid post, hence it's not under the one I was replying too...

sligoman
18/07/2005, 9:42 AM
And sure everyone knows about the lazy, drunken, backward Irish. They look like apes with freckles, and can't speak English properly.

Now who's been racist against a nation?

sligoman
18/07/2005, 9:44 AM

Where did I say I dont like an entire nation anyway?:confused:. I said it's the same with any other nation, meaning that if some of their people come over and dont work. That's what annoys me. There is not one nation in the World that I dont like

Jerry The Saint
18/07/2005, 10:09 AM
The 19-year-old, who played in Rovers' 2-0 defeat by Derry City in the Eircom League on Friday night, had recently finished his Leaving Certificate and had been promised "guaranteed employment" at Rovers.

But the player, known as Benny, has been told to report to the Garda Immigration Bureau on Wednesday.

© Irish Independent
http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/ & http://www.unison.ie/

So his appeal is based on the fact that he has been offered GUARANTEED employment by...............

Shamrock Rovers!

:eek:

The lad is screwed.

Ringo
18/07/2005, 10:17 AM

Times have changed , you can't just go to America now and work. Every country is getting stricter.

Roverstillidie
18/07/2005, 11:26 AM

you ignorant mucksavage. he is a full time prefessional footballer ffs.

what exactly has he (or for that matter all asylum seekers) gotten handed?

Passive
18/07/2005, 11:48 AM

And the foot.ie 'most moronic post of the year' goes to......

Ringo
18/07/2005, 11:53 AM
you ignorant mucksavage. he is a full time prefessional footballer ffs.

what exactly has he (or for that matter all asylum seekers) gotten handed?

If he's on Rovers books , chances are, he might not have paid any tax :p

sonofstan
18/07/2005, 11:55 AM
And the foot.ie 'most moronic post of the year' goes to......

and I was looking forward to Sligo coming up and (shamrock) rovers going down..... as Marx said, 'the further I get from a city the stupider people get'

Roverstillidie
18/07/2005, 11:56 AM
If he's on Rovers books , chances are, he might not have paid any tax :p

need i remind you we are the only club in the state that is fully tax compliant! that was a silly comment really ringo. :rolleyes:

sligoman
18/07/2005, 11:56 AM
Look it, I don't care what ye think, I know I'm not racist, I know plenty of coloured people and I dont have a problem with them. End of discussion for me.

PS. When I said those who dont look for jobs, I am also talking about the Irish people who are happy to get hand outs from the government and dont try and get a job too.

Passive
18/07/2005, 12:02 PM

1. It probably is a different case to Irish people moving to the EU or America. Irish people left Ireland because there was no work for them here and in order to achieve some sort of standard of living they had to leave. Nigerians, as you point out, claim their lives are in danger, which is arguably more serious. You go live in northern Nigeria where Benni is from and see if you like it. Sharia law isn't exactly a stroll in the park, especially if - like Benni - you're not Muslim.

2. Ah, the good old Dublin convention. A real gem this one: we managed to negotiate an EU law which states that an asylum seeker can only seek asylum in the first country they land in. Genius really considering that we only negotiated this rule because there are no direct flights from Nigeria to Ireland. Therefore, we can now deport every single Nigerian that applies for asylum in Ireland. Unless, of course, we give them leave to remain, which we rarely ever do. In fact, McDowell has the lowest ratio of leave to remain cases in Europe.

3. As for the authorities looking into his claims and not substantiating them, that is the standard argument of everyone who believes the authorities actualy know what they're doing. Sadly, they don't. The processing of asylum applications in Ireland is highly secretive and highly inconsistent. If two people from the same family arrived in Ireland under the exact same conditions, one would get asylum status and the other would be sent home to the despicable hell that is modern day Nigeria. The system makes no sense and is almost completely at the whim of a judge.

Ringo
18/07/2005, 12:15 PM
need i remind you we are the only club in the state that is fully tax compliant! that was a silly comment really ringo. :rolleyes:

thats only because most of its been written off :rolleyes:

Éanna
18/07/2005, 12:19 PM
thats only because most of its been written off :rolleyes:
he's still right though!

Ringo
18/07/2005, 12:22 PM
1. It probably is a different case to Irish people moving to the EU or America. Irish people left Ireland because there was no work for them here and in order to achieve some sort of standard of living they had to leave. Nigerians, as you point out, claim their lives are in danger, which is arguably more serious. You go live in northern Nigeria where Benni is from and see if you like it. Sharia law isn't exactly a stroll in the park, especially if - like Benni - you're not Muslim.

2. Ah, the good old Dublin convention. A real gem this one: we managed to negotiate an EU law which states that an asylum seeker can only seek asylum in the first country they land in. Genius really considering that we only negotiated this rule because there are no direct flights from Nigeria to Ireland. Therefore, we can now deport every single Nigerian that applies for asylum in Ireland. Unless, of course, we give them leave to remain, which we rarely ever do. In fact, McDowell has the lowest ratio of leave to remain cases in Europe.

3. As for the authorities looking into his claims and not substantiating them, that is the standard argument of everyone who believes the authorities actualy know what they're doing. Sadly, they don't. The processing of asylum applications in Ireland is highly secretive and highly inconsistent. If two people from the same family arrived in Ireland under the exact same conditions, one would get asylum status and the other would be sent home to the despicable hell that is modern day Nigeria. The system makes no sense and is almost completely at the whim of a judge.

1. A fair point, but surely, he'd be happy to claim asylum anywhere, if his life was in so much danger. I don't have a problem with economic workers, but we're not short of footballers, if benni was a nurse or speech therapist he'd probably get a visa to stay.

2. Are you suggesting this was a conspiracy, to stop just Nigerians?

3. Toy say, “That system makes no sense and is almost completely at the whim of a judge”. Unfortunately most things in this country are, not just asylum. Or at best at the whim of 5 judges in the Supreme Court

Ringo
18/07/2005, 12:25 PM
he's still right though!

There is no evidence to suggest that all clubs are not fully tax compliant. for Rovers to Suggest that they are the only club is false.

Ringo
18/07/2005, 12:26 PM
What's with the 'racist' card? He either has a legal basis for staying in Ireland - and by that I mean within the current systems such as as a visa holder, or an asylum seeker, or as the father of an Irish born child with a licence to remain etc. etc. - or he doesn't, end of story. If an Irish person working illegally in America gets deported, tough luck, I won't be petitioning the US government to keep him.

Were two Irish lads not locked up for a few months & deported a while ago from the states?

Passive
18/07/2005, 12:26 PM
1. A fair point, but surely, he'd be happy to claim asylum anywhere, if his life was in so much danger. I don't have a problem with economic workers, but we're not short of footballers, if benni was a nurse or speech therapist he'd probably get a visa to stay.

2. Are you suggesting this was a conspiracy, to stop just Nigerians?

3. Toy say, “That system makes no sense and is almost completely at the whim of a judge”. Unfortunately most things in this country are, not just asylum. Or at best at the whim of 5 judges in the Supreme Court

2. Yes.

3. Fair point, but the feeling is that the judges who preside over asylum applications don't appear to have any consistency, something that is backed up by your reponse to my first point.

Passive
18/07/2005, 12:30 PM
If an Irish person working illegally in America gets deported, tough luck, I won't be petitioning the US government to keep him.

Of course you won't be - the Irish government does it on your behalf.

Bertie has spent the past few months lobbying George W. to declare an amnesty for all Irish 'illegals' in the US, whilst at the same time toughening immigration laws in Ireland. Sadly, no one seems to get the contradiction in begging a foreign government to give citizenship to Irish people living within their borders 'illegally' whilst at the same time refusing to give Irish citizenship to people actually born in Ireland.

Ringo
18/07/2005, 12:39 PM
Of course you won't be - the Irish government does it on your behalf.

Bertie has spent the past few months lobbying George W. to declare an amnesty for all Irish 'illegals' in the US, whilst at the same time toughening immigration laws in Ireland. Sadly, no one seems to get the contradiction in begging a foreign government to give citizenship to Irish people living within their borders 'illegally' whilst at the same time refusing to give Irish citizenship to people actually born in Ireland.

Maybe the corrupt Nigerian goverment could gives us a load of oil money, to let them stay. :rolleyes:

NY Hoop
18/07/2005, 12:49 PM
And nothing should happen tax dodgers, fraudsters and liars, hold on a minute! Nothing does happen to them, well if they are from the Rovers anyway. :rolleyes:

What a shock. An ill informed CHF fan with a chip on his shoulder :rolleyes:

And ringo you can go to the states and work. Depends who you know ;)

Anyway will be sad to see Benni go. Promising kid and he wasnt costing us much.

KOH

Ringo
18/07/2005, 12:57 PM
Anyway will be sad to see Benni go. Promising kid and he wasnt costing us much.

KOH

Sounds like you were exploiting him ;)

Kingdom
18/07/2005, 1:36 PM
What's with the 'racist' card? He either has a legal basis for staying in Ireland - and by that I mean within the current systems such as as a visa holder, or an asylum seeker, or as the father of an Irish born child with a licence to remain etc. etc. - or he doesn't, end of story. If an Irish person working illegally in America gets deported, tough luck, I won't be petitioning the US government to keep him.

There has been some sh!te spouted on this forum and I would say two if not one poster actually knew the ins and outs of the Refugee Legal system. I know more than most would and would gladly divulge said info were it not for breaking many many laws :D

Anyway...

I'm absolutely disgusted to say this but, Conor, you're spot on. You actually seem to know "actual" facts. Tis a sad, sad day.

[Sound of Kingdom rocking and weeping]

YoungHoop
18/07/2005, 2:27 PM
ok heres what i think

I have a problim with people who come into our country and make no effort to make it a better place. I have problims with people who are from ireland and make no effort to make ireland a better place. The people im talking about is the ones who leave school who dont bother getting jobs hang qound street coners and make peoplpe feel uneasy...
now on the other hand, i do like people who are either from ireland or who come into ireland , make a point of going to school who make a point in furthering the education or who go out and get jobs and are willing to work from the crap job to the top job. In bennis case he came to the country he inrolled in school, made friends joined a local football club and brought a bit of joy to peoples lives who are associated with that club he made a big step and came to play in the 1st team and has some times sent people home saying christ was'nt benni great tonight etc... in my eyes adding somthing to this country. He will im sure do very well considering in his leaving and i wish him all the best. i for one will be hoping he is allowed to stay in the hope he can send me away from a rovers game in weeks to come happy that he is in ireland and he has added to my life... :ball:

sligoman
18/07/2005, 2:31 PM
I have a problim with people who come into our country and make no effort to make it a better place. I have problims with people who are from ireland and make no effort to make ireland a better place. The people im talking about is the ones who leave school who dont bother getting jobs hang qound street coners and make peoplpe feel uneasy...
now on the other hand, i do like people who are either from ireland or who come into ireland , make a point of going to school who make a point in furthering the education or who go out and get jobs and are willing to work from the crap job to the top job.

I fully agree with you. If people are willing to work then great if not then feck off! If that makes me a racist then fair enough but I cant agree with it

YoungHoop
18/07/2005, 2:41 PM
i understand where you coming from sligo man, i am far from a rasist, a lot of my freinds are muitly nationals but my gp is black, my boss in work is asian, and my soccer manager is irish these are all people who have and are making impacts on my life and if they were to be deported it would be terribal. there are a few muilty nationals who hang around my office building from 10:00 till somthimes after 8:00 when im going home and prob later and i have to ask myself what are they giving back from what we are obviously giving them?
and same goes for the irish people who are doing the same.

Your not a rasist sligo man, all you want is honestly but unfortunalty not everyone is like that! lets jsut hope the honest ones are kept here and we benifit from there presence. :ball:

sligoman
18/07/2005, 2:49 PM
lets jsut hope the honest ones are kept here and we benifit from there presence. :ball:

Agreed!