Ekranas 0 Cork City 2

I'm biased so any neutrals...?

GavinZac
16/07/2005, 11:20 AM
Malmo FF 0 - 1 Cork City? :) swedish champs like

pete
16/07/2005, 11:23 AM
Malmo FF 0 - 1 Cork City? :) swedish champs like

Inter Toto is good but IMO Uefa Cup ranks higher.

GavinZac
16/07/2005, 11:25 AM
Inter Toto is good but IMO Uefa Cup ranks higher.

yeah but is it the quality of opposition that matters or the cup competition? because lithuania's other teams lost in europe too.

Anto McC
16/07/2005, 11:40 AM
Corks UEFA result is much bigger than the Intertoto result

GavinZac
16/07/2005, 11:50 AM
Corks UEFA result is much bigger than the Intertoto result

on the basis that it was in a better competition and earned the league 0.333 CEPts, id agree, but just down to the match itself, 0-1 away to the best team in sweden without the surprise factor" is surely better than beating a crowd from a league which is probably worse than our own.

pete
16/07/2005, 11:53 AM
Inter Toto was good but still unsure how serious Malmo treated.

Lithuania league is ranked higher than the eL for now & Ekranas are way in front this season.

Réiteoir
16/07/2005, 11:55 AM
Aberdeen 1 - 2 Bohemians

Case closed

Réiteoir
16/07/2005, 11:57 AM
Oh and:

Kaiserslautern 0 - 1 Bohemians

The year 'Lautern got to the semi-finals of the UEFA Cup (only to lose to Alaves)

pete
16/07/2005, 12:01 PM
Oh and:

Kaiserslautern 0 - 1 Bohemians

The year 'Lautern got to the semi-finals of the UEFA Cup (only to lose to Alaves)

I forgot ye won that game.

Vitruvian Man
16/07/2005, 12:04 PM
As far as Bohs record goes...

Kaiserslautern 0 Bohemians 1

You'll go a long way before you do better than that, even if the tie was dead when the match was played. The German league was 25 places higher on the co-efficiant rankings at the time.

Aberdeen 1 Bohemians 2

Scottish league was 15 places higher in year 2000 and that was the first round so no excuses.

Am I the only one who thinks that Corks result in Europe is the only one worth talking about this week. No disrespect to Longford and Shelbourne but we realy should be expecting to beat teams from the Welsh and NI leagues home and away and it should be no big deal if we do.

pete
16/07/2005, 12:07 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that Corks result in Europe is the only one worth talking about this week. No disrespect to Longford and Shelbourne but we realy should be expecting to beat teams from the Welsh and NI leagues home and away and it should be no big deal if we do.

I think all the results are significant as looks very likely that all 3 will make 2nd qualifying round. Winning is a habit & will mean cliubs more confident in future years.

Drumcondra Red
16/07/2005, 12:11 PM
Shelbourne 2 : 0 Split

Shelbourne 0 : 0 Deportivo

2 great nights, and great atmosphere!!! 25,000 in Landsdowne just gave me the feeling you must get in the Cross every week!!! :D :D :D

TheOwl
16/07/2005, 12:14 PM

Possibly, but then how strong is Lithuanian football? One of their teams lost to a Welsh team so either Lithuanian football isn’t that good or Welsh football isn’t that bad.

From a Shelbourne standpoint I think the thing to get most pleased about was the way that we played, I’ve never seen an Irish team dominate an away game in Europe for such long periods, although I think the last 15 minutes took the gloss of it somewhat.

However, having said all this, I think all three teams deserve our praise, especially if we all finish the job. Irish clubs have NEVER found it easy in Europe, so obtaining three such well deserved victories is something that deserves to be credited as something more than a “to be expected” formality.

gustavo
16/07/2005, 12:20 PM

2 great nights, and great atmosphere!!! 25,000 in Landsdowne just gave me the feeling you must get in the Cross every week!!! :D :D :D

they are home games!

in my totally non biased opinion ill nominate
Florianna 2 Sligo rovers 2

but really probably the bohs aberdeen one .

Da Real Rover
16/07/2005, 2:30 PM
The Bohs-Kaiserslautern game, beating a German powerhouse away from home was a fare achievement. Also Ekranas are without doubt way ahead on quality compared to the rest of the Lithuanian league. Great results for Shels, dont underestimate the Nordies and superb win for Cork. But Longford had to beat the Welsh, no excuses.

Troy.McClure
16/07/2005, 3:11 PM
Winning is a habit

Where did you pick that one up Pete :rolleyes: :D

Bohs Aberdeen, coz the Kisers. tie was dead and burried. It would be like Cork going on about how we put IFK Gotenberg in their places by out playing them and winning 1-0, but in truth, the tie was dead from the 3-0 loss the week before.

Id give an honourable mention to €eltic 0 - Pats 0 in the UK, that shut a lot of people up for a while.

Stevo Da Gull
16/07/2005, 3:12 PM
As far as Bohs record goes...

Kaiserslautern 0 Bohemians 1

You'll go a long way before you do better than that, even if the tie was dead when the match was played. The German league was 25 places higher on the co-efficiant rankings at the time.

Aberdeen 1 Bohemians 2

Scottish league was 15 places higher in year 2000 and that was the first round so no excuses.

I'd agree that they are the best 2. :ball:

Mayo Red
16/07/2005, 3:22 PM
I'd have to go for the Aberdeen v Bohs game, closely followed by Kaiserslautern v Bohs.

****** 0 St. Pats 0 was also a good result, the same evening as Shels played Rangers in their "Neutral Home Venue" at Tranmere's Prenton Park. 3-0 up and threw it away to lose 5-3, terrible waste, don't know what Tony McCarthy thought he was playing (the gaaaa maybe), giving away two silly penalties with needless handballs :(

What's the story with not being able to type "C.e.l.t.i.c." normally?

Billy Lord
16/07/2005, 8:37 PM
Cork's win in Sweden is easily the most impressive in terms of the quality of the opposition rather than the opposing country's UEFA standing as a whole. Bohs' win in Aberdeen was - just my opinion, of course - better than the exceptional result in Germany, as the latter tie was as good as over from the first leg.
All three were, of course, great victories.

Poor Student
16/07/2005, 8:47 PM
I'd say Bohs v Kaiserslautern. A Bundesliga side and one who went far that year.

higgins
16/07/2005, 9:58 PM
Shels drew 1-1 with Rosenborg a few years back.

A face
17/07/2005, 12:04 AM
Jebus ... theres slim pickings when you actually look at it to be fair. I'm not being funny .... we had some great away trips all right but from fans point of view, there were probably great nights in the pub too ..... results wise, its a bit shady ..... its good we are turning a corner (fúcking brilliant if i'm being honest) but we are not round the corner yet. I'm not pouring cold water on it, just saying that there is long way to go yet.

Hopefully this year we can put a serious dent in the coefficient, and make it easier for eL clubs ..... but definitely, all the work is yet to be done and consistency will probably be the biggest hurdle.

Anyway .... Big'up the eL !! .... another step to getting great results !!

Lux Interior
17/07/2005, 12:24 AM
Naturally, I'd go for Glens 0-0 in Lisbon (vs Benfica - Eusebio et al plus EC finalists later this season) ... the first club to go out on the away goals rule .... EVER!!!

To be fair, we've dined out on that one :D

Slash/ED
17/07/2005, 12:36 AM
Speaking of Portugal...

Shels drawing 1-1 with Belenenses Lisbon as we would have knocked them out on away goals if such a rule existed. We decided to knock them out in a play off match instead, though. But drawing in Portugal and knocking them out as only the second ever tie won by an Irish team is fairly impressive.

TheOwl
17/07/2005, 1:47 AM

I agree with Drum Red two fantastic away results. Split only losing by two goals was a great achievement for them and for Depor to then manage to get a draw with the Mighty Shels :eek: - unreal!

harpskid
17/07/2005, 1:36 PM
Derby County 12-0 Finn Harps in the 70s :eek: :o :o

harpskid
17/07/2005, 1:37 PM
Honestly, I'd probably say Bohemians' against Aberdeen or Pats drawing with C€ltic

gspain
17/07/2005, 5:34 PM
Dundalk won 2-1 away to FC Zurich in 1963. Great win but dead tie though as they'd lost 3-0 in the home leg.

However I'd also go for Bohs beating Aberdeen as it was still a key game. Kaiserslautern still went through comfortably despite the defeat. Shels beating Sloga was also quite an achievement.

Of course if Tony Morris hadn't managed to get the ball over the bar from 4 yards out 4 minutes from time thus allowing Kevin Keegan's Southampton scrape a 1-1 draw at the Dell in 1981 there would have been no need for a vote.

pineapple stu
17/07/2005, 11:08 PM
I'd go with the Kaiserslautern game. It wasn't as if Bohs had lost 4-0 or 5-0 at home - the goal brought it back to 3-2 and I think they nearly scored shortly afterwards too. And it's the last away goal Bohs have scored in Europe! :eek:

Everton 1-0 UCD technically isn't a result (win or a draw), but seeing as they won the competition that year and this was their closest result, it deserves mention. ****** 0-0 Pat's definitely up there. Shamrock Rovers have a few good ones - 2-2 v. Valencia (1963), 2-3 v. the Busby Babes (though 6-0 down from the first leg), 2-3 v. Bayern Munich after drawing 1-1 at home (1966; I think they were ahead on aggregate at one stage; Beckenbauer was on the team, I think, having just won the World Cup), 1-2 v. Zaragoza after drawing 1-1 at home (1965), 2-1 v. Odra in 2003. Dundalk 2-3 v. ****** after a 0-0 home leg.

LoI sides have won a total of 15 away games ever - and two of those were this week!

pineapple stu
17/07/2005, 11:09 PM
Celtíc is bleeped?

CollegeTillIDie
17/07/2005, 11:13 PM
That Dundalk team which got the 2-3 result against the Hooped ones from Glasgow also performed Respectably against Spurs. I think they only lost 0-2.
But Pineapple you forgot College's clean sheet away in Bulgaria as a good result in Europe which meant we got done on away goals only ;)

Two others spring to mind. Waterford away to ManUre in I think it was 1968.
Having lost 0-7 at Lansdowne in the Home Leg. Waterford pulled off a creditable 2-3 defeat at ManUre HQ. Even though it was might be called a dead rubber in some other codes nonetheless respectable second leg result.

Oh and I nearly forgot CorkSelthick* away to Pezorporikos of Cyprus in 1974.
I think that game was also played in Cork( it was during the Turkish invasion period) does anyone remember the result cause I think they made the next round before going out of the competition.

* pineapple stu phonetic censor beating spelling alright?

pineapple stu
17/07/2005, 11:17 PM
Cork ******
:D

They played Omonia Nicosia that year and got a walkover - lost to Yerevan Ararat of the USSR (now Armenia) 7-1 in the second round.

CollegeTillIDie
17/07/2005, 11:19 PM
:D

They played Omonia Nicosia that year and got a walkover - lost to Yerevan Ararat of the USSR (now Armenia) 7-1 in the second round.

Well maybe it was Hibs that played Pezorporikos then cause some Irish team played that shower.... :confused:

CollegeTillIDie
17/07/2005, 11:22 PM
Celtíc is bleeped?

let's try this one .....RANGERS ? your safe enough mentioning them it seems

pineapple stu
17/07/2005, 11:26 PM
Well maybe it was Hibs that played Pezorporikos then cause some Irish team played that shower.... :confused:
You're right - Cork Hibs played them in '72 and won 2-1 away and 4-1 at home.

CollegeTillIDie
17/07/2005, 11:29 PM
You're right - Cork Hibs played them in '72 and won 2-1 away and 4-1 at home.

I nominate the away leg then for this sequence... not totally off the mark and this was done with a depleting memory ... Cork team beating Cypriots more that 30 years ago...

CollegeTillIDie
17/07/2005, 11:31 PM
One of the things I noticed some years ago and I am open to correction
Is the correlation in the past between good EL /LOI results in Europe and the National team being sh1t! It was certainly true in the 1960's , 1970's and the early 1980's when The Republic Of Ireland went something like 20 years without beating a decent standard opponent in competitive football away from home!

1967 Away to Czechoslovakia won 2-1... Euro 1968 Qualifier
1987 Away to Scotland won 1-0 Euro 1988 Qualifier
In case you were wondering :))

Slash/ED
18/07/2005, 12:32 AM
Said Scottish match being out last decent win away from home, so nearly 20 years again.

EireBadBoy
18/07/2005, 1:43 AM
let's try this one .....RANGERS ? your safe enough mentioning them it seems
They don't wannae be Irish but! :p

Not old enough to rememer any significant European results before the Bohs/$hel$ escapades - just read THEE worst Football Autobiography EVER though (and I've even read Rio Ferdinands!) and Andy Gray gives a mention to U.C.D (before a half a book on how great SKY is!!)

Page 98 of 'Gray Matters' : "The Cup Winners' Cup had got off to an embarassing start as we scraped past University College Dublin 1-0 on aggregate. We did much better against Inter Bratislava and we met the Dutch side Fortuna Sittard in the quarter-finals" the rest of the book is about Martin Tyler/Hairy Hands.....THE END. I got quite excited about the mention of U.C.D only for it to last all of one sentence!

pete
18/07/2005, 9:14 AM
Honourable defeats don't count as results folks. Need to win or draw.

ccfcgirl
18/07/2005, 9:47 AM
citys 1-1 Bayern Munich was a good one for the books especiallprediciated theyD win 9-0 :D :cool:

paudie
18/07/2005, 9:51 AM
LoI sides have won a total of 15 away games ever - and two of those were this week!

Any chance you could list those wins?
Does it include Inter toto games?

ThatGuy
18/07/2005, 9:54 AM

Celebrating a 0-0 stinks of minnowism.

ThatGuy
18/07/2005, 9:55 AM
Where did you pick that one up Pete :rolleyes: :D

Bohs Aberdeen, coz the Kisers. tie was dead and burried. It would be like Cork going on about how we put IFK Gotenberg in their places by out playing them and winning 1-0, but in truth, the tie was dead from the 3-0 loss the week before.

Id give an honourable mention to €eltic 0 - Pats 0 in the UK, that shut a lot of people up for a while.
Tie wasn't dead and buried. Bohs lost by one goal on aggregate, that is all, and the team had a goal disallowed and several great chances to score over there too.

gypsydownunder
18/07/2005, 10:17 AM
Everton 1-0 UCD technically isn't a result (win or a draw), but seeing as they won the competition that year and this was their closest result, it deserves mention.

UCD is DEFINATELY worth a mention.
Firstly Everton DID win the UEFA cup that year and 2 First Division titles, with essentially the same team, is the following years. Imagine just for a second, any EL team now running Chelski, ManUre this close.

And you forgot to mention the key bit. Hanrahan was clean through in injury time and how he didn't beat Southall, nobody will know. The entire Everton team couldn't believe the ball didn't hit the net. Sheedy, was a *****, in the game. This would have sent UCD through on away goals. (by the way the UCD story of how they beat Rovers to win the cup is great)

Speaking of great results, where the team didn't win - surely Bohs' away to Rangers would have to feature. Leading 3-2 from the first leg, they held out at Ibrox until the 84th minute. I listened to Philip Greene's radio commentary - remember it well (don't know how Phil survived).

Peadar
18/07/2005, 10:24 AM
citys 1-1 Bayern Munich

There was something special about that.
This could be the year that it's eclipsed... ;)

stickyjoe
18/07/2005, 10:54 AM
Bohs still needed to score two more goals to get through because of the away goals so in reality the tie was more or less dead at the start of the game

As far as I remember from the first game though Bohs were doing well and Molloy(i think it was) got sent off right at half time when the score was 0-0. Would of been an interesting tie if Bohs had of kept 11 on the park

NY Hoop
18/07/2005, 12:42 PM
Naturally biased here but our win in Poland. Firstly cos no Irish club had even scored a goal against Polish opposition let alone beat them and secondly Poland are ranked in the top 20 (could be open to correction though).

Boez winning in Germany was great but the tie was over. Their win in Aberdeen was impressive. But alas its only the SPL.

Also our 2-2 draw in Valencia considering we were 2 up at one stage.

For futher info check www.rsssf.com/tablesi/ier-ec.html

KOH

pineapple stu
18/07/2005, 12:49 PM
City 1-1 Bayern Munich
What part of "away result" confuses you? ;)

Any chance you could list those wins?
Does it include Inter toto games?
Will run them up this evening. It does include the InterToto.

Firstly Everton DID win the UEFA cup that year and 2 First Division titles
They won the Cup Winners' Cup, not the UEFA! They also won the league and were runners-up in the FA Cup in the same year.

And you forgot to mention the key bit. Hanrahan was clean through in injury time and how he didn't beat Southall, nobody will know.
Didn't know that. Or are referring to the incident when Ken O'Doherty (I think it was) skimmed the bar with a few minutes to go? I'm actually hopnig to get hold of the video of the match shortly, so will fill you in then!