PDA

View Full Version : Evening Herald a Disgrace(Again)

Pages : [1] 2

Anto McC
13/07/2005, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Evening Herald "journalist" Aidan Coughlan

"Maybe I need to get more of a life, but the absence of the Premiership and international soccer has left me a little bored and passionless. It feels like it's been gone forever, and yet an entire month remains before the season kicks off again.

I'm not quite sure how I'm going to do it. It's like looking at a calander in the middle of Lent and noticing that, for all the slog and hard work you've put into staying off the sweets or the drink or whatever, that you've barely reached the half-way point.

So naturally, temptation beckons. Only that temptation isn't in the form of a Cadbury's Crunchie, but the poor man's premiership, the eircom League. And it's been drawing upon my attention at an alarming rate over the past while .

Now I like supporting my own domestic league and all, but I know this is bad news for me and my dependancy on the all-to-beautiful game. It's the football equivalent of sucking diesel"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you make of this D!ckhead.You can reply to him in the links below.

teenkicks@hotmail.com

news.herald@unison.independent.ie
sport.herald@unison.independent.ie
features.herald@unison.independent.ie
letters.herald@unison.independent.ie

Troy.McClure
13/07/2005, 11:48 AM
Was that tripe published? :eek:

Right, no more Hearld for me anymore :mad:

Buller
13/07/2005, 11:50 AM
I cant believe what i've just read! :eek: :mad:
That is the kind of publicity the eircom league gets from the media... Boy am i gonna write a huge email to that fukhead, i bet he's never even been to an eircom league game! Poor mans premiersh!t?!

Im also never buying the Hearld again for a long time...

Anto McC
13/07/2005, 11:51 AM
Was that tripe published? :eek:

It was published in yesterdays Herald,it's on page 27.

Lads i am not going to buy the Herald again either and i suggest when you
E-Mail them,let them know that we won't buy their paper again.

I propose a EL fan Boycott on the Evening Herald.

Passive
13/07/2005, 11:55 AM
What do you expect from that rag?
You have to feel sorry for him, he's got a whole month to wait before his favourite television programme comes back. God, how is he surviving?

derrymac
13/07/2005, 11:56 AM
The Herald has always been pretty poor at covering the eircom league. The only chance of getting any coverage is if there is no GAA, rugby and Liverpool or Man Utd are not doing anything newsworthy. Though it's no worse than most of the irish papers. The Sunday papers just ignore it. The Sunday Tribune hasn't had a match report for any eircom league match in years.

exile
13/07/2005, 11:57 AM
i suprised someone had the stupidty to publish somethiing like that ignorant irish soccer journalism as usual

exile
13/07/2005, 11:58 AM
It was published in yesterdays Herald,it's on page 27.

I propose a EL fan Boycott on the Evening Herald.

totaly agree its last time i buy that :mad: :mad: :mad:

SeanDrog
13/07/2005, 12:00 PM
I stopped buying it after the joke articles they wrote about Rovers (use to buy it everyday up till then to readon the train) - the paper is 100% rag and the above just further shows this but one thing people should remember its not an anti el rag, its just a rag - the stories are moronic and the journalism is gutter trash - apparently the other journalists laugh at it as being the worst job in the Irish newspaper industry - pretend journalists I think was the term I heard.

Rag - keep it simple - its a rag and not worth the money.

ciaran76
13/07/2005, 12:03 PM
Its a rag of a paper and even my dog won't **** on it ! :p

I won't even take the free copies they are always trying to get rid off. Haven't bought it in about 3 years now i reckon.

Gareth
13/07/2005, 12:03 PM
I dont buy it. total rag. I mailed the guy. I suggest you do, just so he realises that he is a tosser. Its funny, the one thing I like about all of you , even the Corkies, :), is that we do unite under the same flag when it comes to the league.

dcfcsteve
13/07/2005, 12:08 PM
Wsa that the sum-total of his article ? Waht's it all about ? I was expecting there to be some sort of story/purpose to it - but instead it's just a straight-forward knock of the EL.

The one silver lining in there, however, is that it does suggest that Summer football is working ! :eek: His attraction has been drawn to it by a lack of any other footie....

thecorner
13/07/2005, 12:09 PM
I'm not quite sure how I'm going to do it. It's like looking at a calander in the middle of Lent and noticing that, for all the slog and hard work you've put into staying off the sweets or the drink or whatever, that you've barely reached the half-way point.
]

and i thought i was bad waiting for dream team to return :D

Dricky
13/07/2005, 12:10 PM
show how interesting the guy is. his life revolves around the TV.... Sad

Arsene About
13/07/2005, 12:16 PM
If he does decide to "suck diesel" say there are loads of people who would love to be nearby with a match!

aido_b
13/07/2005, 12:27 PM
Just fired off an email to the Herald, I used to buy it every day but aint even going to think about it anymore. Its a pity because I enjoyed reading Aidan Fitzmaurices articles

Troy.McClure
13/07/2005, 12:28 PM
My email

Are my eyes deceiving me? Did I read this correctly? I can't remember the last time someone who I have never met has insulted me, my family and my friends so much! I am referring to Aidan Coughlan's admission that he needs to get a life while also calling me a 'poor man' for supporting my local football team.

It seems that the eircom League is an evil temptation, trying to poach innocent fans from the Glazer Red Socks or the Abromivich Oilers while they are touring South East Asia or America. Mr Coughlan says that he likes supporting his own domestic league "and all" but you have to wonder if he has ever actually been to a game in Ireland between two Irish clubs? Perhaps he is not a poor man like me? Is he too good for my company? I must admit that my armchair is much more comfortable than the plastic seats you find in Tolka Park or Dalymount (and even Old Trafford!) but as someone who also loves the beautiful game, as Mr Coughlan claims, I find that Im able to 'suck enough diesel' to get my car to which ever ground I need to be at on a Friday night.

I hope that Mr Coughlan enjoys Liverpool's glorified training session against a team composed of Welsh farmers and postmen, but Im going to watch Shelbourne's tousle with Glentoran on tv for a few reasons: are Crowe or Byrne good enough to force their way back in to the international squad? Will Joeseph Ndo be in the Cameroon squad in the next World Cup again or will Ollie Byrne erupt in anger if Shels loose?

I'll watch all this on tv and go to the return game in Tolka but one place I wont see any coverage of it will be in the Evening Herald, because that's it, I've had enough! After years of snide insults and sideswipes I am leaving the Herald behind, never to be bought again, purely because of this type of insulting, low grade, lazy journalism.

Yours etc.,

Troy.McClure
D8

exile
13/07/2005, 12:33 PM
fantastic letter troy im just wondering will they take the letter serious after you signed it troy mclure D 8 :D

Troy.McClure
13/07/2005, 12:37 PM
Believe it or not Ive got another name I use for letters, cheques, loads of things really :D

Are those email addresses working for ye? They are bouncing back to me :(

exile
13/07/2005, 12:39 PM
the teenage kicks one worked for me

Troy.McClure
13/07/2005, 12:40 PM
Ya but he's not going to fire himself is he? :o

Hecko
13/07/2005, 12:42 PM
Was trying ot think of a comparison -
if a GAA journalist wrote an article about how he was pining for the Inter-county championship and was so desperaet that he might have to start watching club games, he'd be s**t on by fans telling him where real hurling and football are played.... But Michael O'Muireartaigh or Liam Griffin would never do that, woudl they?

if a rugby journo was pining for the Heineken cup and started whinging about having to watch AIL matches, they'd be laughed out of it by rugby fans...But Gerry Thornley and George Hook etc. probably go to a junior match every week.

For that matter Tracey Piggott watches point-to-points in Doneraile in December and Jimmy Magee watches everything everywhere

In all cases the writers in other sports are real fans of the SPORT, not subscribers to a Sky Marketing package - as someone's tag line has it "press the red button Sky doesn't make you active" - doesn't make you a sports fan either

exile
13/07/2005, 12:43 PM
Ya but he's not going to fire himself is he? :o

ya but you dont send death threats and explain what my sh1t list is to a newspaper :D

aido_b
13/07/2005, 12:44 PM
Believe it or not Ive got another name I use for letters, cheques, loads of things really :D

Are those email addresses working for ye? They are bouncing back to me :(

they aint delivering buddy

Troy.McClure
13/07/2005, 12:44 PM
Send them a message here (http://www.unison.ie/contact_us/open.php)

aido_b
13/07/2005, 12:49 PM
Send them a message here (http://www.unison.ie/contact_us/open.php)

Cheers :D

Troy.McClure
13/07/2005, 12:57 PM
ya but you dont send death threats and explain what my sh1t list is to a newspaper :D

Unless that list is copyrighted and trademarked I'll be using that list :cool: ;)

MariborKev
13/07/2005, 1:01 PM
My letter

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing to express my disappointment at the article by Aidan Coughlan on July 12th. The tone of the article was demeaning and insulting to the legions of fans that are proud to support their local eircom League sides up and down the country.

Mr Coughlan compares the domestic game to the “poor man’s premiership”. Would that be the same Premiership which is the “poor man’s La Liga”? Years of hype and spin by BskyB have convinced the public both here and in the UK that they are somehow watching the greatest league in the world.

Whilst I am perfectly willing to allow Mr Coughlan to continue living in this bubble of oblivion and the comfort of his barstool, the need to damn the domestic game is uncalled for and a cheap shot.

There is a common expression of “If you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything”. There are numerous positives regarding the domestic game that I, and indeed Mr Coughlan could outline. Instead however he decides upon a jingoistic point scoring exercise against football in this country.

The next time you hear that Irish people are the best fans in the world, think about the fact that the vast majority of Irish people see no contradiction in supporting foreign teams in foreign lands whilst insulting the domestic product, as Mr Coughlan has. Pass me my leprechaun hat and inflatable hammer and I will be on my way.

Yours in Sport,

Kevin McDaid
Secretary,
Derry City Supporters Club,
Queens University Belfast

P.S Aidan if you are reading, I will be in Dalymount on Friday for Derry City v Shamrock Rovers if you want to sample that “poor man’s premiership”. Indeed I will even buy a ticket and a Crunchie bar.

Like Troy- bouncing back

Troy.McClure
13/07/2005, 1:05 PM
Instead however he decides upon a jingoistic point scoring exercise against football in this country.

Who's been using the Rico thesauris then? :D

Go to the link I posted up Maribor

hoops1
13/07/2005, 1:22 PM
Lads calm down
this article is written in the teenage kicks section
tales from the teenage frontline
this is only a baby we are talking about
he obviously doesnt know any better and is probably still chasing his
first kiss or trying to get his first lay
he doesnt know that santa,the tooth fairy or superwoman dont exsist
so leave him in his little world of make believe
Poor lad will realise what football is all about by the time
his balls drop or he grows some facial hair

Poor Student
13/07/2005, 1:23 PM
Jingoistic? In what sense? Is he British? :confused:

centre mid
13/07/2005, 1:25 PM
Why didnt they run the Rovers story ? a real feel good story

MariborKev
13/07/2005, 1:27 PM
Jingoistic as in the sense that as a "true" irish person these days you have to put down you own league at any opportunity.

Poor Student
13/07/2005, 1:30 PM
Jingoistic as in the sense that as a "true" irish person these days you have to put down you own league at any opportunity.

Jingoism is all about national chauvinism. I don't think it works in the sense you're trying.

You're saying modern Irish trend is to arse lick the EPL, so he is being a true Irishman by doing so?

MariborKev
13/07/2005, 1:35 PM
I'll take this to PM when I get the chance

Passive
13/07/2005, 1:42 PM
Maribor - pop into the Hut on Friday, I'm pretty sure you're owed a few drinks from Rovers fans after our trip to Derry!

Poor Student
13/07/2005, 2:25 PM
Lads lads lads ......... what do you expect from the Herald ?? Haven't ever bought the thing, but I wouldn't even class it as a rag. A rag is of more use.
BEst of luck to Shels & cork.

It is a non-entity of a paper. It's a form of cheap instant gratification. There's no news past the first 8 pages of so and even that is pure excrement usually.

To paraphrase Sir Hamish you can get far better bog roll in Lidl for far cheaper. :D

superfrank
13/07/2005, 3:00 PM
I suggest we boycott the Herald if philistines like this knob wrangler are writing about our league!!!

Troy.McClure
13/07/2005, 4:13 PM
I just got a reply back from them (complete with wrong name... 'Connor' my arse) saying that I should write to info@unison.independent.ie

Gareth
13/07/2005, 4:16 PM
Least you got a reply :)

Troy.McClure
13/07/2005, 4:32 PM
Well I was ever so polite :p

hamish
13/07/2005, 7:13 PM
The Herald has always been pretty poor at covering the eircom league. The only chance of getting any coverage is if there is no GAA, rugby and Liverpool or Man Utd are not doing anything newsworthy. Though it's no worse than most of the irish papers. The Sunday papers just ignore it. The Sunday Tribune hasn't had a match report for any eircom league match in years.

When you ignore all all those crap so called newspapers for a week or so you wonder why you even bought them in the first place.

Well said.

hamish
13/07/2005, 7:23 PM
To paraphrase Sir Hamish you can get far better bog roll in Lidl for far cheaper. :D

....and higher quality journalism on it too - after you've....er...used it, of course. YUK. Sorry PS -couldn't think of a better example. :D

exile
13/07/2005, 9:25 PM
Well I was ever so polite :p

makes a change :p :p :p :D

Anto McC
14/07/2005, 12:06 AM
Lads i'm serious about the boycott,Anyone who still buys the paper and feels aggrived should not buy it anymore

hamish
14/07/2005, 1:55 AM
Lads i'm serious about the boycott,Anyone who still buys the paper and feels aggrived should not buy it anymore

Totally agree - the sh*trag is on its last legs anyway - killing it off would be a kindness.

mypost
14/07/2005, 3:33 AM
The Sun is the best paper for NL coverage. There are several pages every day about what's going on in the league, have comprehensive previews/match reports and Even Keel's (Dermot Keely) page every Tuesday is great. They were the only Irish paper to send a journalist to Poland to cover Odra-Rovers 2 years ago, and they never slag off the league. :)

If only everyone else followed their example..... :rolleyes:

Passive
14/07/2005, 9:34 AM
The Sun is the best paper for NL coverage. There are several pages every day about what's going on in the league, have comprehensive previews/match reports and Even Keel's (Dermot Keely) page every Tuesday is great. They were the only Irish paper to send a journalist to Poland to cover Odra-Rovers 2 years ago, and they never slag off the league.

Yeah, but they call us "the Shams" and for that they, their children and their children's children will all burn in hell. ;)

BohDiddley
14/07/2005, 9:39 AM
If, as has been suggested, this article is written by a teenager, then I suppose it's sad more than anything else, because it shows that this prejudice is being passed on to another generation.
As for the Herald, it'll be a hard one to crack by means of a boycott. They know, and so do we, that there aren't enough EL supporters who also buy the Herald to make a big difference to their sales. One thing they do really well is kids' soccer. Somehow, they have succeeded in becoming the only place where you can get info -- fixtures, tables etc. -- on this huge sector, at least in Dublin (as I found in answer to a query on schoolboy trials on foot.ie). I know of many people who buy it for that content alone, despite their dislike of the newspaper. Other sources, such as A-Z Football, simply don't provide the comprehensive coverage that the Herald puts on.
It's a strange contradiction: they do the lower levels of domestic football really well, but they are actively hostile to the game at the top level.

Passive
14/07/2005, 10:00 AM
BohDiddley: why don't you tell the class your theory about how the journalist is a Rovers fan :rolleyes:

Bohs, obsessed, paranoid - who said it?