PDA

View Full Version : U2 Yawn

pete
29/06/2005, 11:53 AM
Maybe i'm the only one not to have gone to the concerts but why so much praise of U2 recently? Old albums were great but latest offerings were terrible.

Are U2 any different from the Rolling Stones travelling on endless golden hits concert route?

EnDai
29/06/2005, 11:57 AM
Listen to the man! :D

cullenswood
29/06/2005, 11:58 AM
Maybe i'm the only one not to have gone to the concerts but why so much praise of U2 recently? Old albums were great but latest offerings were terrible.

Are U2 any different from the Rolling Stones travelling on endless golden hits concert route?

Have to admit than Atomic Bomb wasn't brilliant but All That You Can't Leave Behind was their best album so far I reckon. I've been a fan since 1985 and was very impressed with it.

Plus the Stones have been living off albums they released about 30 years ago, half the stuff U2 played at their concerts was released in the last 5.

Macy
29/06/2005, 11:59 AM
Just a question of taste - some of us have good taste and like their modern albums, other's are stuck in the 80's.... :D

pete
29/06/2005, 12:07 PM
Just a question of taste - some of us have good taste and like their modern albums, other's are stuck in the 80's.... :D

I thought the recent singles good to listen on the radio but I was unable to listen to album straight through.

I won't even mention the "poverty" stuff to confuse the debate.

Cosmo
29/06/2005, 12:13 PM
Am i one of the only ones that thinks they're really overrated - even their older stuff isn't that good - tbh i find them really annoying and thats before bono goes on about world peace, etc

Saw the popmart show though - that was amazing ;) !!

Colm55
29/06/2005, 12:17 PM

I didn't go either.....

But its been U2 all over the radio aswell, getting bored listening to them over and over and over and over and over again, thats before bono starts mouthing off aswell...

Dublin12
29/06/2005, 12:36 PM
To quote Bono "Fcuk the begrudgers" :D

Lionel Ritchie
29/06/2005, 12:44 PM
Nice to find a few like-minded souls. :)

In 28 years they've yet to make a record that I felt compelled to buy. (and I felt compelled to buy some stinkers in my time ... P.H.U.Q. by the Wildhearts comes to mind -Jesus Phuqqing Christ what a s hit phuqqing record -one good song and the rest sounds like the phuqqing Quireboys or Dogs D'Amour)

I don't think U2 are a bad band by any means but my reaction to virtually everything they releasse tends to be "So What?"

I just find it very bland, music-by-the-numbers and lyrically very banal.

There's a lot more bands doing way more interesting things and really pushing the envelope.

elroy
29/06/2005, 12:47 PM
Nice to find a few like-minded souls. :)

In 28 years they've yet to make a record that I felt compelled to buy. (and I felt compelled to buy some stinkers in my time ... P.H.U.Q. by the Wildhearts comes to mind -Jesus Phuqqing Christ what a s hit phuqqing record -one good song and the rest sounds like the phuqqing Quireboys or Dogs D'Amour)

I don't think U2 are a bad band by any means but my reaction to virtually everything they releasse tends to be "So What?"

I just find it very bland, music-by-the-numbers and lyrically very banal.

There's a lot more bands doing way more interesting things and really pushing the envelope.

Ah come on now lionel, surely you can't deny one or without or without you arent great songs. Dont think atomic bomb was that good, all that you cant leave behind was a very good however. In fairness to still be as popular after so long, they're doing something right

Peadar
29/06/2005, 12:52 PM
Am i one of the only ones that thinks they're really overrated

Every band in the world, ever, is overrated by someone!
When push comes to shove, it's just people making music.
I really enjoy the music of U2 and went to the gig to be entertained.
I was!
I didn't go there to be a friend of Bono or to agree with anything he said, just to hear the music.

In terms of what U2 have produced and continue to produce, over such a long period of time, they're up there with the greatest.
As a nation, we love to knock people who are successful.
I see nothing more than this in the comments of those who try to belittle U2 and their music.

Peadar
29/06/2005, 12:57 PM

Where are they and how long are they "pushing the envelope"?
New bands come out with these radical ideas and think, 'hey man, we're so different.' In truth, the ideas run out after the first album.
It's a simple fact that U2 are still selling albums and still selling out tours all over the world. Few other bands could do it.
U2 certainly don't need to do it.
They could all have a nice quiet life somewhere but they just keep on turning out great stuff.
I love the new album!
I love pretty much all their albums.
It's a matter of personal preference.

Cosmo
29/06/2005, 12:59 PM
Ah here, I don't knock people when they're successful - fair play to anyone thats a success (and thats including ronan :eek: !!). Fair play to U2 for being so successful for so long, but imo theyve only had a few decent songs but overall they're s**t!!

Edit: Can I also add, I mightnt like their music that much but they do put on a great show :o

ken foree
29/06/2005, 2:41 PM
New bands come out with these radical ideas and think, 'hey man, we're so different.' In truth, the ideas run out after the first album.

bit too sweeping a statement there, no? :p

you could argue that u2 made three records similar to their first one, two records similar to their fourth, and three more riffing off their seventh! i'll let you figure that out :D

for the last two it seems they're trying to make albums that somehow sound like all the others mashed together..

i like u2, used love them, boy/zooropa are me favorites and they are incredible live. even when they played that batman song. but i'd love to see them tear down their styles/sounds. they seem capable, edge is certainly creative enough sonically. but bono rhymes sky with high too much and larry's primitive style needs a shake-down.

pete
29/06/2005, 2:52 PM
I've never knocked them for being success.

I think theres a big distinction between their stadium concert entertainment & their albums. I'm sure there are few better stadium bands but IMO their recent albums are over-rated.

EnDai
29/06/2005, 2:56 PM

Some of us have great taste and get bored by everything they've ever released...! :D

Peadar
29/06/2005, 2:59 PM
Some of us have great taste and get bored by everything they've ever released...! :D

A Shels fan being bored by something!! :eek:
Surely anyone who can tolerate their style can tolerate anything? :confused: :D

EnDai
29/06/2005, 3:15 PM
Most things, with the two exceptions being U2 and the senses of humour down south! :D

Hehe. ;)

Anto McC
29/06/2005, 3:48 PM

Exactly what i thought after Friday nights concert

Drumcondra Red
29/06/2005, 5:22 PM
A Shels fan being bored by something!! :eek:
Surely anyone who can tolerate their style can tolerate anything? :confused: :D

Says your man who left Cark completely...

Gerrit
30/06/2005, 7:23 AM
I like that last paragraph in your post. Walking the commercial path is a very easy thing to do.

The yawn on U2 can be expected, after all they're Irish. No matter where in the world, people will somewhat be enthousiast when a local makes it big. You see it in sport, you see it in music, in film, ...

And let's stay fair and square, they did write a huge number of classics and can bring a very entertaining show even with only those epics. I must say: respect for them for playing also some less known songs in their setlist. During the tour they played songs like An Cat Dubh that maybe are well known amongst U2 fans but not amongst the mainstream audience. To play such a song and leave out recent hits such Sweetest Thing or Stuck In A Moment, that's quite nice and respectable. It would be much easier for them to play only classics, but they don't.

Lyrically mediocre ? Thought so at first as well, though when going through some less known work, I must say I was very pleasantly surprised sometimes by their lyrics. Of course the most simple songs make the charts and radio, but they do have their share of in-depth lyrics for sure.

But don't take from this that I'm suddenly a U2 fan. Sympathisant, not fan.

razor
30/06/2005, 8:10 AM
Must agree with Lionel, I have never been compelled to buy any U2 albums. My cd collection is quite substantial but I just don't like U2.
I mean fair play to them and all that but its just not my cup of tea.

Peadar
30/06/2005, 8:48 AM
I think he's Welsh!

Born in Essex to Welsh parents, I believe.

Lionel Ritchie
30/06/2005, 9:56 AM
Ah come on now lionel, surely you can't deny one or without or without you arent great songs. Dont think atomic bomb was that good, all that you cant leave behind was a very good however. In fairness to still be as popular after so long, they're doing something right

One's an okay song (not a patch on Metallicas One mind ;) )...I don't get all that excited about it but yeah it's a nice wee song. Never liked with or with you though ...arrangement, melody, lyrics the lot -all seem to rub me up the wrong way a bit.

In terms of what U2 have produced and continue to produce, over such a long period of time, they're up there with the greatest.
As a nation, we love to knock people who are successful.
I see nothing more than this in the comments of those who try to belittle U2 and their music..

Peadar will you dry your eyes. :rolleyes: Therein is the rub of what gets to those -particularly us Irish -who beg to differ when it comes to U2. We're begrudgers and we're unpatriotic because we don't love everyone elses pet feckin band.

Read my original post again. There's no absolutisms in it. I claim nothing as fact -just that they've always left me a bit cold and indifferent.

Lionel Ritchie
30/06/2005, 12:31 PM
I'm proud to say my favourite U2 song or rendition thereof is The Joshua Trios reneck tilt at 'The Fly'

Much better melody and arrangment :D

Shoo Fly don't bother me
Shoo Fly don't bother me
Shoo Fly don't bother me
I don't want your company

Fly in the Buttermilk
Shoo Fly Shoo
Fly in the Buttermilk
Shoo Fly Shoo
Fly in the Buttermilk
Shoo Fly Shoo
Skip-to-m'loo my darlin'

Yeehaw!

Joshua Trio Responsorial Psalm: "Yea -and the lord sent the Joshua Trio to take the music of U2 and make it good -Response"

"That's not what we read in Melody Maker"

:D

Flea
30/06/2005, 7:16 PM
Where are they and how long are they "pushing the envelope"?
It's a simple fact that U2 are still selling albums and still selling out tours all over the world. Few other bands could do it.
U2 certainly don't need to do it.
They could all have a nice quiet life somewhere but they just keep on turning out great stuff.
I love the new album!
I love pretty much all their albums.
It's a matter of personal preference.

Well I'd rather listen to something new for just one album than listen to them tools turningout the same commercial tripe each album (mind you I am glad to say I never wasted any money on them), but musically they are wasted. So what if they sell CD's the world is obviously full of people who either brainwashed or don't know the value of the money they earn e.g the Crazy Frog sold lots and its as exciting as City of Blinding Chites. Yeah it is a matter of personal preference but Im not one to knock because they were raised around the corner. When I hear a band I want to be impressed at there blistering MUSICAL ability; this has never happened with U2, chirpy tunes yes but geniuses NEVER.Bono- No, not a wonderful voice hes ok but leave down the guitar, Adam- Bass does whats needed but is the whipping boy for criticism, however, hes no Entwhistle or Jones, The Edge- Way overrated Larry- Ordinary

In comparison with the Stones mentioned earlier they are only going a fraction that the Stones are, while unlike the Edge the Stones have possibly the greatest riff writer of all time in Richards, not to mention the frontman that is the enigmatic Jagger.

Countyman
01/07/2005, 9:01 AM
So what if they sell CD's the world is obviously full of people who either brainwashed or don't know the value of the money they earn e.g the Crazy Frog sold lots and its as exciting as City of Blinding Chites.

The difference is you wouldnt get 250,000 people in one weekend in croke park dancing to the crazy frog. (maybe you would in Tallaght though?)

They are hardly ****e in fairness. Its all about personal preferences. End of story really.

Live and let live.

tetsujin1979
01/07/2005, 10:02 AM
The difference is you wouldnt get 250,000 people in one weekend in croke park dancing to the crazy frog. (maybe you would in Tallaght though?)

They are hardly ****e in fairness. Its all about personal preferences. End of story really.

Live and let live.

Or sell out Hampden, City of Manchester Stadium, Camp Nou, Twickenham

Flea
01/07/2005, 10:26 PM
Or sell out Hampden, City of Manchester Stadium, Camp Nou, Twickenham

As I said before they are damn good at brainwashing and hype

sarah
07/07/2005, 4:45 PM
I don't speak very well... i'm french so i'm sorry!!
But I like U2 very much and the concert is this saturday..no place...
a little Think about personn who have no place...like me!!
I have a serious difficulty to speak!!!
So I just think about personn like me..
I'm so... :( !!!
give me a place if you have it!!! please!! :)

TonyD
07/07/2005, 9:25 PM
I'm proud to say my favourite U2 song or rendition thereof is The Joshua Trios reneck tilt at 'The Fly'

Much better melody and arrangment :D

Shoo Fly don't bother me
Shoo Fly don't bother me
Shoo Fly don't bother me
I don't want your company

Fly in the Buttermilk
Shoo Fly Shoo
Fly in the Buttermilk
Shoo Fly Shoo
Fly in the Buttermilk
Shoo Fly Shoo
Skip-to-m'loo my darlin'

Yeehaw!

Joshua Trio Responsorial Psalm: "Yea -and the lord sent the Joshua Trio to take the music of U2 and make it good -Response"

"That's not what we read in Melody Maker"

:D

I've never heard that version, but it sounds mighty :D :D . Your post made me laugh out loud Lionel. Classic stuff.

Gerrit
09/07/2005, 11:04 AM
In comparison with the Stones mentioned earlier they are only going a fraction that the Stones are, while unlike the Edge the Stones have possibly the greatest riff writer of all time in Richards, not to mention the frontman that is the enigmatic Jagger.

Best riffs are definitely Tony Iommi's. Brilliant !

On-topic: I will speak in French directed to our French visitor... Sarah, il y a toujours des gens qui vendent tickets pour le concert just a coté du stade. J'ai acheté mon ticket pour le concert en Dublin le meme maniere. Bonne chance et amusez-vous en concert !

CollegeTillIDie
09/07/2005, 9:08 PM
Lot of truth in that.

I like a lot of what U2 brought out in their day. I still reckon their cover of Cole Porter's 'Night and Day' is a classic, one of the best covers ever.

And to be honest, I would have to say that - overbearing arsehole or not - Bono is an outstanding lead vocalist with a powerful voice.

And Adam is...well, a bassist.

I have heard complaints about Larry Mullen, but frankly he seems fine to me.

My difficulty is with the Edge. It's just the same chopping style guitar play rehashed again and again. And that's not begrudgery - I think he's Welsh! But imho he must be the least capable guitarist to have made €100million out of the music business ever. Good luck to him, the formula works so why should he change. I just tired of it.

As for pushing the envelope, I agree with that too. On the other hand, I wouldn't necessarily like music that consisted of otter mating sounds played backwards through a computer, but I do have an admiration for bands that steer away from commercial success, and that's one thing U2 could never be accused of doing...
#The Edge is a very effective if simple piano player :D