PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Bulgaria - Wednesday, 18th November 2020 - Nations League

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

seanfhear
16/11/2020, 2:41 PM
Time for the Great Reset ! ! !

liamoo11
16/11/2020, 2:42 PM
Idah returned to Norwich with an injury too.

I like mceneff. I thought there was a story saying he was sticking with the north whennhiscyounger brother at arsenal switched to us? Crawford was saying partott couldn't play 90 minutes so I assume that means Collins starting.

passinginterest
16/11/2020, 2:44 PM
Out of curiosity, I've had a look at some of the stats from this nations league versus the previous one. It could well be argued that there was no Bulgaria in the previous group so it skews the stats a little, but it's not a massive difference and we've only played them once so far. I was curious to see if there's anything in the stats to suggest progress is being made and goals might be more likely to come. From the look of things there are definitely some significant changes.

Goals: 0.25 per game (1) in 2019, 0.2 per game (1) in 2020
Attempts: 5.25 per game versus 12.2 per game - significant increase
On Target: 2 v 3.4 per game, not insignificant increase
Off Target: 1.75 v 7, huge increase, obviously an issue with finishing but at least having shots
Blocked: 1.5 v 1.8, pretty similar
Corners: 3.25 v 4.2 not a major increase but still the best part of 1 a game which represents a chance of sorts
Possession: 38% v 52%
Pass Accuracy: 75% v 86% - both passing stats are a huge increase (accuracy was only 80% I think against Wales so dropped a bit but maybe a sign of trying more forward passes and going direct a little more)
Saves: 3.25 v 3 - so keeper a little less busy (not 100% on this stat because the old stats only had shots on target rather than saves so that's what I've used to compare)
Tackles: 2.75 v 3.8 - surprised by this but it appears we're making more tackles under Kenny
Conceded: 1.25 v 0.8 - Conceding less (we did concede 4 in one game the last time)

The fact we're having a lot more attempts at one end and our keeper is having to make less saves at the other, would suggest there has been progress and that if we can manage a goal off an arse or an elbow, more might be due.

Stats for this league here: https://www.uefa.com/uefanationsleague/teams/64--republic-of-ireland/statistics/
For previous, went into the individual games here: https://www.uefa.com/uefanationsleague/news/0253-0d81efc3d59b-c4e36c8646ec-1000--all-the-2018-19-uefa-nations-league-results/

pineapple stu
16/11/2020, 2:49 PM
That's quite interesting, and the attempts in particular is one I wouldn't have thought was the case from watching the games.

It does flag again though that we need a forward...

Is there anywhere that shows expected goals? It's a fairly major stat in analysis I think, but I don't know if the likes of Opta ever tweet it in general?

tetsujin1979
16/11/2020, 3:00 PM
Infogol usually has xG, but the site is blocked in my office

backstothewall
16/11/2020, 3:04 PM
Has Jonny Hayes retired from internationals, or is this a case of Kenny not being fussed on him?

And is the paperwork for Mark Sykes still outstanding?

pineapple stu
16/11/2020, 3:15 PM
Infogol usually has xG, but the site is blocked in my office
Cheers - looks like it doesn't do Nations League though.

zero
16/11/2020, 3:18 PM
Interesting stats above but let's not overlook we were dreadful in the last nations league campaign to the point it led to o'neill and keane's removal.

Stuttgart88
16/11/2020, 3:28 PM
Four players called up.

▪️ Aaron McEneff | Shamrock Rovers F.C.
▪️ Graham Burke | Shamrock Rovers F.C.
▪️ Jack Taylor | Peterborough United
▪️ Troy Parrott | Millwall Football ClubJeez, if McEneff scores the winner after Jack Byrne has a nightmare @Lilywhite will be unbearable :)

Razors left peg
16/11/2020, 3:28 PM
Im sure its just coincidence but Browne and McClean both received Man of Match awards and then tested positive afterwards. Who is handling these awards, are they being tested, are they quarantining, who is doing the interviews? Its a joke of a COVID bubble

seanfhear
16/11/2020, 3:38 PM
Im sure its just coincidence but Browne and McClean both received Man of Match awards and then tested positive afterwards. Who is handling these awards, are they being tested, are they quarantining, who is doing the interviews? Its a joke of a COVID bubble
Is it made of China ?

brine3
16/11/2020, 3:45 PM
Is Kenny intentionally trying to see how many players he can call up without calling up Obafemi?

centre mid
16/11/2020, 4:05 PM
Out of curiosity, I've had a look at some of the stats from this nations league versus the previous one. It could well be argued that there was no Bulgaria in the previous group so it skews the stats a little, but it's not a massive difference and we've only played them once so far. I was curious to see if there's anything in the stats to suggest progress is being made and goals might be more likely to come. From the look of things there are definitely some significant changes.

Goals: 0.25 per game (1) in 2019, 0.2 per game (1) in 2020
Attempts: 5.25 per game versus 12.2 per game - significant increase
On Target: 2 v 3.4 per game, not insignificant increase
Off Target: 1.75 v 7, huge increase, obviously an issue with finishing but at least having shots
Blocked: 1.5 v 1.8, pretty similar
Corners: 3.25 v 4.2 not a major increase but still the best part of 1 a game which represents a chance of sorts
Possession: 38% v 52%
Pass Accuracy: 75% v 86% - both passing stats are a huge increase (accuracy was only 80% I think against Wales so dropped a bit but maybe a sign of trying more forward passes and going direct a little more)
Saves: 3.25 v 3 - so keeper a little less busy (not 100% on this stat because the old stats only had shots on target rather than saves so that's what I've used to compare)
Tackles: 2.75 v 3.8 - surprised by this but it appears we're making more tackles under Kenny
Conceded: 1.25 v 0.8 - Conceding less (we did concede 4 in one game the last time)

The fact we're having a lot more attempts at one end and our keeper is having to make less saves at the other, would suggest there has been progress and that if we can manage a goal off an arse or an elbow, more might be due.

Stats for this league here: https://www.uefa.com/uefanationsleague/teams/64--republic-of-ireland/statistics/
For previous, went into the individual games here: https://www.uefa.com/uefanationsleague/news/0253-0d81efc3d59b-c4e36c8646ec-1000--all-the-2018-19-uefa-nations-league-results/

The tackling stat would presumably be down to the more agressive pressing game Kenny is trying to implement

Diggs246
16/11/2020, 4:08 PM
Until the MOTM can be awarded to any player to include the opposition its not worth mentioning
Jonathan Walters got MOTH v Germany when we lost 1-6 in Dublin it was was humiliating for the guy

Razors left peg
16/11/2020, 4:12 PM
Until the MOTM can be awarded to any player to include the opposition its not worth mentioning
Jonathan Walters got MOTH v Germany when we lost 1-6 in Dublin it was was humiliating for the guy
I agree, I only brought it up because the 2 players that go it were also awarded COVID straight after

tetsujin1979
16/11/2020, 4:15 PM
The tackling stat would presumably be down to the more agressive pressing game Kenny is trying to implement

there's been two red cards in the seven games he's been in charge for.

Razors left peg
16/11/2020, 4:15 PM
Is Kenny intentionally trying to see how many players he can call up without calling up Obafemi?
If you watched him for the u21s against Italy and Iceland you wouldnt call him up either.

Stuttgart88
16/11/2020, 5:02 PM
I thought it was noticeable last night how (relatively) often we dispossessed Welsh midfielders. It was one of the postives.

Stuttgart88
16/11/2020, 5:05 PM
there's been two red cards in the seven games he's been in charge for.
Which shows you the danger of statistics! One was a red mist McClean going a bit mad before pulling out of a tackle, the other was Hendrick trying to remedy a hospital pass. Neither in any way telling in context of a pressing game.

Bielsa´s irish
16/11/2020, 7:49 PM
I dont see horgan or Collins been our future, why not give idah another game and let Byrne play see if he can unlock a packed defence

i think thats the team will play not the one i will choose. Maybe Clark in contention

Bielsa´s irish
16/11/2020, 7:49 PM
Maybe Ciàran Clark will play vs Bulgaria it depends on his late injury

pineapple stu
16/11/2020, 8:14 PM
What's the craic with Clark - how come he wasn't in the original squad? Or any of Kenny's previous ones?

An unexpectedly strong player to be calling up in this size of an injury crisis

ColourfulPeanut
16/11/2020, 8:16 PM
Was injured up until recently and hasn't played at all for Newcastle.

If he's fully match fit then I think he's a starter, nevermind not making the squad.

pineapple stu
16/11/2020, 8:26 PM
Ok, that makes sense. Sounds a bit of a desperation call-up so. If he didn't make the original squad, it's presumably cos he's not fully fit

DCWA
16/11/2020, 9:12 PM
Why call up Clarke could we not just have played Cillian Sheridan centre half ? Playing games in Poland would be match fit, no brainer.

Bielsa´s irish
16/11/2020, 9:50 PM
Why call up Clarke could we not just have played Cillian Sheridan centre half ? Playing games in Poland would be match fit, no brainer.

I tell you this we need somebody like Sheridan in the team, played like in 6 or 7 countries, we need experience, the young guns are ok, but its not their time, you will burn them, how Idah ended? 4/10for me, he is not ready yet.

Bielsa´s irish
16/11/2020, 9:51 PM
we need the youngsters but gradually, the main goal is going to the WC

seanfhear
16/11/2020, 10:20 PM
Looks like the kind of fella that could fill in ~ in goal as well.

nigel-harps1954
16/11/2020, 11:45 PM
I tell you this we need somebody like Sheridan in the team, played like in 6 or 7 countries, we need experience, the young guns are ok, but its not their time, you will burn them, how Idah ended? 4/10for me, he is not ready yet.

8 appearances and a grand total of 0 goals for Wisla Plock this season.

Give it a rest with this Cillian Sheridan nonsense. He's almost 32, has hit over ten goals in a season once in his career and is the eternal journeyman all around the far reaches of Europe.

It's a tired remark at this stage.

backstothewall
16/11/2020, 11:55 PM
Geography is part of this as well. If bringing in bodies from godknowswhere is an option Mulraney and/or Gallagher would surely be on a plane from America to Ireland by now.

elatedscum
17/11/2020, 1:03 AM
Has there ever been an injury crisis like this?

Struggling to remember as many injuries even ahead of those pointless US tours

Draw against Czech Republic where McShane made his debut. We were missing 15 players...

elatedscum
17/11/2020, 1:16 AM
Not sure if anyone saw that Alan Kelly didn’t travel with the group to Dublin. His reason being that he’s asthmatic. I guess you’ve got to take it at face value, he’s more than entitled to prioritise his health.

Nonetheless, doesn’t bode well for the group I don’t think. As long as Covid exists, does he have a future working in the set-up? How important is a goalkeeping coach prior to a match. Presumably they’ll have an underage coach running the warm-up etc.

Combined with McGoldrick’s sudden retirement, it feels as though people aren’t necessarily rowing in the same direction...

Maybe it’s a non-story and I’m reading into too much

Bielsa´s irish
17/11/2020, 1:28 AM

Give it a rest with this Cillian Sheridan nonsense. He's almost 32, has hit over ten goals in a season once in his career and is the eternal journeyman all around the far reaches of Europe.

Ok but we need a player like him around, we need experience up front, it is not stubborness. Check this guy stats, Tall uncomfortable for defenders, good left peg, takes penalty has 5 assists so far

who's better, Hogan?

My panel after this games, if everyone is fit, some new guys some old to give the chance to others

Darren Randolph 33 (W.H.U) Premier League
Daniel Rogers 26 (Kilmarnock) Scottish Premier
Sean McDermott 27 (Kristiansund) Eliteserien
Matt Doherty 28(Tottenham) Premier League
John Egan 28 (Sheffield) Premier League
Séamus Coleman 32(Everton) Premier League
Enda Stevens 30 (Sheffield) Premier League
Dara O'Shea 21(W.B.A) Premier League
Ciaran Clark 31(Newcastle) Premier League
Jimmy Dunne 23 ( Burnley) Premier League
Kevin Long 30 (Burnley) Premier League
Josh Cullen 24(Anderlecht) Belgian 1st division
Jayson Molumby 21(B.H.A) Premier League
James McCarthy 30(Crystal Palace) Premier League
Ryan Manning 24(Swansea) Championship
Connor Ronan 22(Wolves) Premier League
Jack Byrne 24(Shamrock) Ireland Premier
Robbie Brady 28(Burnley) Premier League
Jon Gallagher 24(Atlanta utd) MLS
Michael Obafemi 20(Southampton) Premier League
Shane Long 33(Southampton) Premier League
Cillian Sheridan 31 (W.Plock) Ekstraklasa Poland Premier
James Collins 29(Luton Town) Championship
Callum Robinson 25 (W B A) Premier League
Aaron Connolly 20(B.H.A) Premier League

Bielsa´s irish
17/11/2020, 2:05 AM

Fans are lamenting in angst because a forward of 33 years old scored just once after 14 games. . He was a false 9 was the excuse..

I feel sorry for Idah, as Parrott he isnt the answer yet. Too soon.
Same for Knight he is similar to that fellow Smallbone, Too soon. Dont burn youngsters.

McClean Duffy and Hendrick have been less than average same for Browne and Hourihane.

I feel sorry for Duffy he played very well in Bratislava. But in his other games he let himself down.

We need experience up front, and mix the youngsters, ofafemi is ahead of idah and parrott atm, he offers pace with ageing rivals

backstothewall
17/11/2020, 7:30 AM
I feel sorry for Idah, as Parrott he isnt the answer yet. Too soon.
Same for Knight he is similar to that fellow Smallbone, Too soon. Dont burn youngsters.

Reminds me of Robbie Keane. We gave him his debut at 17, and he was totally burnt out by the time he was 35.

weldoninhio
17/11/2020, 7:55 AM
we need the youngsters but gradually, the main goal is going to the WC

We ain’t going to the WC Buddy. Sorry for being the one to break it to you. The longer we persist with Kenny the lower the pot we’ll be in for the next manager and he’ll have an even bigger mountain to climb.

tetsujin1979
17/11/2020, 8:24 AM
The Sheridan trope is getting old already. Keep all mentions to his thread - https://foot.ie/threads/35401-Cillian-Sheridan-(F-Wisla-Plock-b-1989) - or they'll be deleted.

brine3
17/11/2020, 8:58 AM
If you watched him for the u21s against Italy and Iceland you wouldnt call him up either.

I'll take your word for it then. Difficult to get U21 matches up in Scandinavia.

paul_oshea
17/11/2020, 9:03 AM
Not sure if anyone saw that Alan Kelly didn’t travel with the group to Dublin. His reason being that he’s asthmatic. I guess you’ve got to take it at face value, he’s more than entitled to prioritise his health.

Nonetheless, doesn’t bode well for the group I don’t think. As long as Covid exists, does he have a future working in the set-up? How important is a goalkeeping coach prior to a match. Presumably they’ll have an underage coach running the warm-up etc.

Combined with McGoldrick’s sudden retirement, it feels as though people aren’t necessarily rowing in the same direction...

Maybe it’s a non-story and I’m reading into too much

Theyve brought in the GK coach from Dundalk.

seanfhear
17/11/2020, 9:06 AM
Reminds me of Robbie Keane. We gave him his debut at 17, and he was totally burnt out by the time he was 35.
We could have done with a few more years at the other end alright ! ! Always turned up did Robbie and scored a few as well.

pineapple stu
17/11/2020, 9:22 AM
Theyve brought in the GK coach from Dundalk.
Oh please tell me that's a joke!

tetsujin1979
17/11/2020, 9:58 AM
Oh please tell me that's a joke!

pineapple stu
17/11/2020, 10:05 AM
We're screwed...

backstothewall
17/11/2020, 10:08 AM
No positive tests yesterday.

passinginterest
17/11/2020, 10:08 AM
On a lighter note, spotted a comment on the McClean Covid case that went along the lines of; "When James McClean got Covid he tried to pass it on, but it was intercepted". It made me break a smile, but that probably says more about how bad things have gotten in general!

tetsujin1979
17/11/2020, 10:15 AM
Bulgaria also missing players due to COVID

paul_oshea
17/11/2020, 10:21 AM
Bulgaria missing their captain, left back and another, but 3 starters added to ones already missing. Wont be calling anyone up either.

Ah Ireland can't not win now.

Can they? :D

paul_oshea
17/11/2020, 2:17 PM
Is it correct in saying for us to get 2nd, the following must happen:
We beat Bulgaria
Russia lose to Serbia
Romania lose to Norn Iron.

I know theres a much greater chance of Norn Iron scoring and winning than us even scoring, but it looks an unlikely task with those 3 happening. Had we drawn the last day, we would have been in a much better position. Maybe we should have played to draw all our nations league games, and forget about trying to score? Like Mick Mac and Oneill set us up to do too :D

Diggs246
17/11/2020, 2:24 PM
Weird question guy's, but does anyone know what area in Cabinteely Jason Knight is from? I'm living in Cabinteely at the moment.
When I told the neighbours we had a local lad playing for Ireland they nearly creamed themselves.

Of course the first question out of their mouths was what estate/area in Cabinteely? anyone know by any chance

seanfhear
17/11/2020, 2:58 PM
We're screwed...
Good News Finally !