PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Scully (F Portsmouth b.1999)

Pages : [1] 2

samhaydenjr
13/09/2020, 1:15 AM
Didn't find a thread for Scully - in the excitement about Idah breaking his league duck, it's worth noting that, one level down, Scully became the first Irish scorer in the English league this season, nabbing the opener in Lincoln's 2-0 win over Oxford United, which brings his tally from the start of his senior league career to three goals in six games: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54038014

MancIrishWolf
13/09/2020, 7:12 AM
Great to see another one on the production line coming through. Sounds like a high pressing forward by the “terrier” references below and obviously has an eye for goal. Him and Connolly sound similar, which could be interesting haranguing future defences.

https://forums.vitalfootball.co.uk/threads/rate-the-players-v-oxford-united.108085/

Astounded by the inclusion of Roughan at such a young age, especially at that level. Sounds like he acquitted himself well after being targeted by some heavy challenges early on (as you’d expect), but got up the line well with some good deliveries into the box. Seems like a nice kid as well:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=82oHJzduJqc

Most encouraging thing is that the young kids are actively taking the Dara O’Shea route and looking to build the character toughening experience early rather than cosset themselves in the U23s which looks to have been to the detriment of Masterson and potentially Kelleher.

elatedscum
13/09/2020, 9:06 AM
RE Roughan: I remember there being a newspaper story a few years ago of Lincoln looking to hire a Gaelige teacher, in the hope it would give them an advantage in helping to attract Irish kids across

seanfhear
13/09/2020, 9:12 AM
RE Roughan: I remember there being a newspaper story a few years ago of Lincoln looking to hire a Gaelige teacher, in the hope it would give them an advantage in helping to attract Irish kids across
The Irish used to Pick a Lot of Potatoes in Lincoln if that would have been in any way helpful ! !

Eirambler
13/09/2020, 9:38 AM
Yes the Irish teacher thing was specifically for Roughan, Lincoln were desperate to sign him but his mum would only let him go over at 16 if he took his Leaving Cert through the club. It was no problem getting tutors for the other subjects but Irish was obviously an issue so they put an advert out. Ended up hiring the wife of an Irish professional rugby coach who was an ex teacher and managed to sign Roughan as a result - and he's now in the first team. He will presumably be sitting the leaving cert next summer.

zero
15/09/2020, 6:08 PM
Has just scored in the league cup away to Bradford.

Eirambler
15/09/2020, 7:14 PM
Knows where the goal is to be fair to him, he was banging them in for West Ham under 23s last year and has continued to score regularly since moving up to men's football. Well worth a look at under 21 level with Connolly and Idah stepping up to the seniors.

samhaydenjr
25/09/2020, 1:52 AM
Lincoln got overrun by Liverpool tonight and Scully had limited opportunities, but did pretty well in the second half, setting up one goal and almost setting up another - got in behind the Liverpool defense once and managed to turn the ball on goal, only for Adrian to smother his effort. Looks promising and could very well be a Championship player in the next couple of years

samhaydenjr
19/12/2020, 5:41 PM
Opened the scoring today in a 4-0 win over Northampton Town, his second league goal of the season and his seventh overall in 22 appearances: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/55284012

samhaydenjr
27/12/2020, 2:25 AM
Second in two games for Scully today, as well as being credited with an assist - Lincoln now top of League One: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/55373542
With Idah and Parrott yet to really cement their first-team places, and with Afolabi and Kayode playing at levels below him, could there be a case for a senior call-up for Scully in the Spring?

tommy_c12000
09/01/2021, 1:25 PM
As busy as always today, and scored the equalizer in Lincoln’s 1-1 draw against Jack Taylor’s Peterborough. Missed a gilt edged opportunity close to the end as well though. Still no Elbouzedi from the bench, even though I think he would have ran Peterborough ragged as they were down to 10 men. Young Sean Roughan also back on the bench.

Lincoln do play very tidy football and are good value for their top position in league one

irishfan86
09/01/2021, 8:19 PM
My first time watching Scully for a full match. Great movement, always seems to be open in dangerous positions. Never afraid to take a shot. Scored a poacher’s goal generated from a corner, caused a penalty which a teammate missed. Also generated a number of corners from shots blocked by defenders. Could have and possibly should have scored another one or two. Clever player. Will be monitoring.

liamoo11
10/01/2021, 10:16 AM
My first time watching Scully for a full match. Great movement, always seems to be open in dangerous positions. Never afraid to take a shot. Scored a poacher’s goal generated from a corner, caused a penalty which a teammate missed. Also generated a number of corners from shots blocked by defenders. Could have and possibly should have scored another one or two. Clever player. Will be monitoring.

Amazing last 16 months for this lad. August 19 started season as sub for west ham 23s after 2 or 3 years with minimal football because of injuries. Had 4 months of great scoring at 23s level then took his chance to move to Lincoln this time last year when it must have been tempting to hang on at west ham and hope that he might get some first team action. He signed an 18 month contract last Jan so he is a free agent in summer hopefully he can get a bigger paying longer deal somewhere on the back of his time so far at Lincoln. Football can be funny , at the same time he was a sub for west ham's 23s Simon power was been linked to Borussia Dortmund.

youngirish
10/01/2021, 11:49 AM
He's one of the few prospects that the fans who watch him week in and week out, rate higher than the posters seem to on here and that means some hype is possibly justified:

https://forums.vitalfootball.co.uk/threads/anthony-scully.110922/

IMO most of our other prospects have underwhelmed so far this season. Collins and Scully seem to be the ones most likely at present that could push on to greater things in the near future.

Stuttgart88
12/01/2021, 8:16 AM
I was impressed by him. Looks like he was born to play in and around the penalty box.

liamoo11
12/01/2021, 5:39 PM
I was impressed by him. Looks like he was born to play in and around the penalty box.

It's interesting isn't it cause underage he was an attacking midfielder and he only went up front for west ham 23s because they had a striker shortage and they needed someone to play there I remember reading the match reports of their 23s at the time around Sept 2019. Nice to discover your a fox in the box at 20 years old and hopefully still have those skills as an attacking midfielder that hot you to a professional level

Fixer82
14/01/2021, 10:30 AM
Stephen Ward joined Wolves as a striker and went in at LB to fill a gap if i recall correctly

seanfhear
14/01/2021, 3:47 PM
Unfortunately he was a donkey. In hindsight he should have stayed as a striker to see how he developed in that role instead.
I’d say he has a tidy bank balance. Hee Haw Hee Haw Hee Haw !

nigel-harps1954
14/01/2021, 6:13 PM
Unfortunately he was a donkey. In hindsight he should have stayed as a striker to see how he developed in that role instead.

I wouldn't mind being a millionaire donkey with 50 caps for my country and nearly 200 appearances in one of the biggest leagues in world football.

Yard of Pace
14/01/2021, 8:05 PM
Please, in a world of almost relentless gloom and negativity and bickering can the above kind of talk be banished from here.

Please. I don't remember this kind of vitriol ever, and I hope everyone is doing ok, in the circumstances and, please again, I don't come here to read nasty things. I can hardly believe I'm even typing that here.

nigel-harps1954
14/01/2021, 8:29 PM
Yeah he was a real talent our Stephen all right. He played for all the top clubs. He combined the attacking flair of a modern day Roberto Carlos down that left flank with the defensive solidity of an Irish Paolo Maldini.

He was one of the poorest players in some of the poorest teams in the Premiership. The Ireland teams he played in were dreadful and he was consistently one of the worst players in those teams. They are all millionaires. What's your point again? By your logic all these players must be brilliant.

He played football, consistently, under several managers, at the top level of the game.

But youngirish on foot.ie is right, and all the managers are wrong.

irishfan86
14/01/2021, 9:23 PM
Stephen Ward was no star. But he made the most of his talent and was a good servant for the Irish team. It makes no sense to slam him. If anyone has been comparing him to the all time greats on this forum, that’s news to me.

Charlie Darwin
14/01/2021, 10:03 PM
Yeah, this sort of pub talk is very boring and the sort of thing that makes you not want to bother.

elatedscum
14/01/2021, 10:10 PM
Personally I didn’t rate Wardy, particularly the last few years (as an international footballer). Made mistakes which cost us qualifying for the World Cup and probably was rewarded for the game against Germany. Was pretty vocal that I would have played Brady in the 2016 campaign and Stevens in the 2018 campaign- but at the same time, fair play to him. Seems like a decent skin and was probably a good to very good championship player earlier in his career.

Olé Olé
16/01/2021, 7:45 AM
Leaving Premier League club after 8 years paying off for Ireland underage starlet https://the42.ie/5325097

Decent interview on the 42. They even cover his England underage call up which deals with quite well.

Eirambler
16/01/2021, 10:09 AM
Very interesting interview and he's unlikely to be too far away from a senior call up either. Was unlucky with the under 21s that he came through in the same campaign as Connolly, Idah and Parrott but he got his chance in the end after others moved to the senior squad.

Still only 21 and can play a few different positions in Kenny's system. Well worth a look, although unless we get another bad run with Covid I wouldn't expect to see him as soon as the March games.

John83
16/01/2021, 1:37 PM
March is all competitive games, right? So, yeah, he probably needs a bit of luck with injuries/covid drop-outs, but he'll be on Kenny's radar.

Olé Olé
23/01/2021, 3:44 PM
Scored today again. Another fox-in-the-box goal.

samhaydenjr
24/01/2021, 9:17 PM
That's ten in his first full season of senior football and four in his last six games... and it's only January... and the season started late. It is still at League One level so I would still have those playing Premier League and Championship football ahead of him but if Lincoln go up and he carries this form forward to next season, then perhaps a run-out in an Autumn friendly might be in order.

Exgrad
09/03/2021, 6:42 PM
Seems to have lost his place to an 18 year old loanee from Man City who is rattling them in.

Razors left peg
09/03/2021, 6:50 PM
Seems to have lost his place to an 18 year old loanee from Man City who is rattling them in.
Both Scully and Parrott on bench today in their game against each other.

samhaydenjr
11/04/2021, 1:16 AM
Came on as a substitute at the 72-minute mark with Lincoln two down to Blackpool - three minute later he scored to half the deficit - nine minutes after he set up the Imps' equaliser: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/56622001 - his fourteenth of his first full season of senior football, after scoring sixteen in nineteen games for West Ham's U23s last season and a couple right after his move to Lincoln - and I don't think he generally operates as an out-and-out striker. I think if Kenny were to hand a debut to one young player in the June friendlies, then Scully must be one of the prime candidates.

Baldoyler
11/04/2021, 9:53 AM
I agree. Scully might count himself unlucky not to be called up for the three recent games. Certainly one for June.

Bielsa´s irish
17/04/2021, 3:47 AM
yes this cat and the other one at St Mirren

tommy_c12000
17/04/2021, 1:20 PM
His 15th of the season today. Let’s see what he can do if he gets to championship level. He has been in and out of the Lincoln team this season. He may have a chance in upcoming friendlies as squad will be thin given the timing

samhaydenjr
01/05/2021, 10:13 PM
Two goals for Scully today against Peterborough - unfortunately all his good work was undone by an injury-time penalty, which ended Lincoln's chances of automatic promotion - I really hope they go up through the play-offs - Scully seems to have the bit between his teeth and could be ready for Championship (and possibly international) football already: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/56869275

Eirambler
01/05/2021, 10:38 PM
They were unlucky - it was never a penalty.

Scully is developing really well for his age, in terms of call ups for June he should be picked ahead of a few who were called up in March.

samhaydenjr
22/05/2021, 6:14 PM
Had a chance to watch Scully in action in the play-off tie against Sunderland on DAZN Canada - was utterly anonymous today as The Black Cats completely overran The Imps in the first-half, before being substituted at half-time. McGeady was responsible for much of Sunderland's dominance. But with Lincoln grabbing a second-half winner, he is still in with a shout of promotion to The Championship. He was much more involved in the first leg, forcing a fine save from Sunderland's keeper early and was involved in the build-up for Lincoln's first goal. From seeing him in these games and the League Cup tie against Liverpool, he seems to be a no-frills, hard-running attacker who chooses good lines, picks out decent passes and has an eye for goal. He's also playing on the right of a front three, so he should slot nicely into Kenny's system. If Lincoln beat Blackpool next week, he should definitely be called on for the June friendlies

samhaydenjr
15/08/2021, 2:35 AM
Great start to Scully's second full season of senior football, scoring a brace as Lincoln beat Fleetwood 2-1: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/58124727

Eirambler
15/08/2021, 8:04 AM
First goal was a cracker as well. If there was an Irish Abroad goal of the day award every weekend he'd almost certainly be winning it this weekend.

Trequartista20
11/09/2021, 5:57 PM
Scored his 8th/9th goals of the season as well as achieving a hattrick of assists, as he also hits the crossbar from a free-kick in a 1-5 win away to Hoolahan's Cambridge. Masterson also featured for the U's.

Is he becoming unignorable for Kenny given our toothless attack?

Normally plays on the left of a front 3 for the Imps.

liamoo11
11/09/2021, 6:45 PM
Lincoln did good business here you'd have to think might get a million for him in January?

zero
11/09/2021, 7:55 PM
His numbers look good but league one isn't great. Ronan Curtis did a lot of damage at that level but isn't really up to international football so far at least.

Certainly worth taking a look at though.

Eirambler
11/09/2021, 10:09 PM
Only going off Quest highlights here, but he just looked quality today. Two cracking finishes and assisted the other three goals. In particular the first of the three assists just left his teammate with a tap in.

He possibly gets overshadowed a bit because we have younger forwards that get the attention, but he's still only 22 and seems to be consistently improving. Well past time we saw him named in a senior squad.

samhaydenjr
12/09/2021, 1:43 AM
Scored his 8th/9th goals of the season as well as achieving a hattrick of assists, as he also hits the crossbar from a free-kick in a 1-5 win away to Hoolahan's Cambridge. Masterson also featured for the U's.

Is he becoming unignorable for Kenny given our toothless attack?

Normally plays on the left of a front 3 for the Imps.

Friendly against Qatar and dead rubber against Luxembourg - good opportunity to blood him in. If he keeps this up he's likely to be in The Championship, at least, by the time our Euro 2024 campaign kicks off so it's well worth giving him an early look. And as he plays on the flank of a front three (I've also seen him on the right), he fits nicely into Kenny's favoured system - I think a Scully/Idah/Robinson line sounds very interesting - anybody else agree?

Olé Olé
12/09/2021, 11:29 AM
His numbers look good but league one isn't great. Ronan Curtis did a lot of damage at that level but isn't really up to international football so far at least.

Certainly worth taking a look at though.

For those clamouring for his inclusion, this is true. I don't feel it's past time we saw him in there. Parrott is in League One and is in there. Ok. But Parrott has a sensational underage record for us. Scully does not. In addition, I'm not sure if people saw Scully in the play-offs just gone. The biggest games of his career to date. Subbed at half time in the second leg of the semi and didn't start the final.

This form warrants a call up if a spot is free. If Curtis is in the reckoning for a squad due to injuries then Scully should be ahead of him. Saying he's been overlooked is a stretch I think.

seanfhear
12/09/2021, 11:47 AM
Do we get Moulder as well ?

Stuttgart88
12/09/2021, 2:25 PM
He’s becoming unignorable imho. Clearly has an instinctive eye for goal. Valuable at any level.

tetsujin1979
12/09/2021, 2:56 PM
Wasn't Scully injured for the play offs?

Olé Olé
12/09/2021, 3:35 PM
Wasn't Scully injured for the play offs?

I checked. He was whipped on 46 in second leg and came on on 80 in the final.